0.5.0 Testing help needed

Showing 21-99 of 99 messages
0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/20/12 3:17 PM
Hello!  0.5.0 is getting closer and closer to being working, but so far it has only seen one pair of eyes.

I need as much help as I can get in doing some rudimentary testing, even though it is not ready for production use. While, for example, the back-end scripts are pretty much done, the web-ui has to be re-done to utilize/take advantage of the new format and features 0.5.0 adds.

At this point in time, assistance would be most helpful in testing mineos_console.py:

I have designed it to be backward-compatible and have included a new syntax for more powerful use in the command line. Right now, this would be the most useful testing I could use. Available commands are here: http://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php/0.5.0. So, helpful feedback would be "am I able to easily, and without error, create basic servers".  If so, I know the underlying new code of mineos.py works, and therefore the web-ui code will work too.

Such steps to accomplish this would be:
  1. Install a fresh copy of MineOS (0.4.11) on a virtual instance (don't waste your time on real machines yet!)
  2. Log in as 'mc'
  3. cd /usr/games/minecraft
  4. rm -rf ./*
  5. [copy all the files from  http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/ here]
  6. chmod u+x *.py
To test mineos_console.py:
  1. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver create
  2. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile vanilla
  3. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
  4. ./mineos_console.py -s get up
  5. ./mineos_console.py -s get memory
  6. ./mineos_console.py -s get pid
  7. ./mineos_console.py -s get cmdline
  8. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver console-rw
  9. [control-A, d] to detach screen
  10. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver stop
  11. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver backup
  12. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver archive
  13. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile bukkit
  14. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
  15. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver stop
If, for example, this set of commands works, I'm feeling great about the release. Here is a screenshot of the web-ui, which is mobile friendly.

Getting this to release may be a drawn out process, depending on the amount of involvement and help I receive.  I am committed to getting this release to be as bug-free as it is pretty, but its success or failure depends greatly on early feedback.  I implore you to help if you are able, and to be sure to do so only on throwaway installations. Thank you
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/20/12 3:51 PM
Correction to the above commands
  1. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up
  2. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get memory
  3. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get pid
  4. ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get cmdline
[myserver] must be present on all the commands
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/20/12 4:01 PM
You don't need to post the output, but here's an example of something you might see in console:

mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver create
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile vanilla
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up
True
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get memory
197828
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get pid
6143
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get cmdline
screen -dmS mc-myserver /usr/java/java-latest/java -server -Xmx256M -Xms256M -ja
r /home/mc/servers/myserver/minecraft_server.jar nogui
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver stop
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up
False

As you can see, 'status' was replaced with a whole new array of functions.
"up" determines if the server is up, and memory, pids, startup command...all are readily accessible from the command prompt.  This will make command-line based scripts easier to make, as well as AJAX-refreshable UIs, by having all this functionality built in.  In the web-ui side, we're moving toward a Control Panel that auto-updates via javascript and won't have the 'wait 20 seconds for it to start'.

Also built in is the capability of versioning your minecraft jars, such as [vanilla], or [bukkit]...or [bukkit1.4rc] or [tekkit3.4] and [bukkit1.3rc], etc.  I'm writing up the wiki on those now

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed anders...@gmail.com 6/20/12 10:00 PM
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver archive
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mineos_console.py", line 61, in <module>
    instance.command(args.cmd)
  File "/usr/games/minecraft/mineos.py", line 536, in command
    getattr(self, shortcut)()
  File "/usr/games/minecraft/mineos.py", line 392, in archive
    archive_filename = 'server-%s_%s.tar.gz' % (self.server_name, time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S"))
NameError: global name 'time' is not defined

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/20/12 10:11 PM
Can I get excited and interpret this as (aside from archive), that starting the vanilla and bukkit server worked just fine? !
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Nick Lewis 6/21/12 8:32 AM
Ok, did a fresh virtual install. Here are some notes:

Connecting the ip/admin/# got me a "blank" web admin interface. It's the old style, but none of the buttons work. Not sure if there's a different URL for the new interface.

Forgot to actually download the servers - I was following along with your instructions, and that's not in there! lol Fortunately I took a look at the .50 command list and the "update_profile" command worked for vanilla, bukkit, and tekkit. However it doesn't fail gracefully if you typo a profile name - "./mineos_console.py update_profile bukit" mproduces:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./mineos_console.py", line 39, in <module>
getattr(instance, args.cmd)(arguments[0])
File "/usr/games/minecraft/mineos.py", line 592, in update_profile
if info['download_type'] == 'jar':
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

the create server set profile commands work, as does start - but if it's already started or the port is in use it isn't handled gracefully; starting the server a second time gets:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./mineos_console.py", line 61, in <module>
instance.command(args.cmd)
File "/usr/games/minecraft/mineos.py", line 536, in command
getattr(self,shortcut)()
File "/usr/games/minecraft/mineos.py", line 304, in start
raise RuntimeWarning('Ignoring command to start %s--port%s is already in use'
% (self.server_name, self.port))
RuntimeWarning: Ignoring command to start myserver--port25565 is already in use'

It looks like you're producing error messages for the user but the script is crashing anyway. Obviously not as important as when things are done correctly, but I believe code shouldn't crash on bad input!

"get up" _seems_ to work, but it returned True when I was issuing these commands but hadn't actually downloaded the server jars, so not sure I trust it completely!
"get memory" seems to be working
"get pid" seems to be working
I assume "get cmdline" should return the command line that launched the server - seems to be working!
"console-rw" doesn't produce an error message but doesn't do anything either - I confirmed I can connect and play on the server, so it definitely IS running!
"stop" worked, and up, memory, and pid properties returned off, none, and none when server is stopped
"backup" seems to have worked
"archive" produced the same error that Anders listed
"set profile bukkit" seems to have worked - server is up the correct jar is in the server folder
"stop" again worked with the new profile

All in all I think it's looking great! Can you spell out clearly if the new interface should be available when doing this testing? Should the old interface be working?

Hope this feedback helps. Keep us posted on what else to test and I'll do what I can.

-Nick

PS the errors I listed were typed in by hand, so line breaks & formatting are not to be trusted ;)

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/21/12 8:57 AM
Thank you thank you thank you for this feedback--it's exactly what I need to keep pushing things forward, user 'mistakes' and user experience.

I'm trying out a new style for these scripts different than I've done before, where I'm working and utilizing exceptions far, far more.  In fact, I deliberately left a number of exceptions unhandled because I absolutely need to enforce the stopping of execution, such as if you type in a server_name with illegal chars "myserver!!$14&*&".  I see now, that there is no good reason I have to compromise this behavior while also providing the user with less confusing output.

This should actually be really an easy fix in mineos_console.py which can then just suppress the traceback output and leave you with the actual user error message. Its rather embarrassing really, that I hadn't done this by default.

The typo--on the other hand--here and in MANY places, I'm sure, are likely to cause similar issues.  Providing me with example lines and the conditions to reproduce them are invaluable to me, so thank you!  I'll scour through my code again and see where I need to catch more issues regarding typo user input (because right now I think I've only covered sanitizing dangerous input).

So my next question is, did you check to see that the jar files were absent when you also checked 'get up'?  If so, there's a big glaring problem!  But, on the other hand, it might have just been a slight oversight: 'set profile x' actually downloads the jar file if absent.  It basically goes like this:

mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver create
[creates s.p and s.c]
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile vanilla
[checks if file exists in /usr/games/minecraft/vanilla.
if not, downloads it to /usr/games/minecraft/vanilla.
then sets s.c to use the profile]
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
[checks if jar in /home/mc/servers/myserver/ is the same jar in /usr/games/minecraft/vanilla.
if not, copies to /home/mc/servers/myserver.
starts the server]
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up
[checks if the server is up]

So you will actually not have to download the server jars manually via update_profile, it is done for you.  This is also different from previous mineos scripts that kinda expected the user to do these things in order.  The whole profiles system should hopefully alleviate that work.

All in all I think it's looking great! Can you spell out clearly if the new interface should be available when doing this testing? Should the old interface be working?

The old interface should not be working.  All of the function names changed, nearly, and I'm using a programming technique called duck-typing that I didnt before which makes my code much more maintainable, by not having to deliberately code out the use of each function.  I'm at this moment working on the web-ui, a completely different one.

If reactions are positive to the new web-ui, I'll just enhance and enhance that.  If reactions are moderate, I'll backport the old web-ui to use the new functions.

Hope this feedback helps. Keep us posted on what else to test and I'll do what I can.

-Nick

PS the errors I listed were typed in by hand, so line breaks & formatting are not to be trusted ;)

Thanks again and again for helping out here.  Even the most simple things like 'seeing ungraceful errors' makes my programming decisions better.

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Nick Lewis 6/21/12 9:09 AM

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:57:48 AM UTC-5, Will wrote:
Thank you thank you thank you for this feedback--it's exactly what I need to keep pushing things forward, user 'mistakes' and user experience.

I'm trying out a new style for these scripts different than I've done before, where I'm working and utilizing exceptions far, far more.  In fact, I deliberately left a number of exceptions unhandled because I absolutely need to enforce the stopping of execution, such as if you type in a server_name with illegal chars "myserver!!$14&*&".  I see now, that there is no good reason I have to compromise this behavior while also providing the user with less confusing output.

I totally understand. I think it's fair to say that what's most important is making sure it works properly with GOOD input but I figured I'd throw the error info at you anyway!

So my next question is, did you check to see that the jar files were absent when you also checked 'get up'?  If so, there's a big glaring problem!  But, on the other hand, it might have just been a slight oversight: 'set profile x' actually downloads the jar file if absent.  It basically goes like this:

Uhh... no, I didn't manually verify it. I walked through your instructions until the console-rw didn't work, then figured I'd open the webadmin page and see what it showed me, but it wasn't much help and while clicking around on it I realized I'd never done the server file downloads the old way. So I just *assumed* they hadn't been downloaded. But because I was following your list of steps to try in order, I *had* already used set profile, so I'm sure it actually was downloaded. I like this new system!!!

The picture of the new interface looks great and I love that's mobile friendly. So let us know when we can test it and I'll try it out.

Thanks again for all the hard work. It makes me look like a hero to my kids :)
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed anders...@gmail.com 6/21/12 10:39 AM
Vanilla appeared to, I was literally following the list, and all worked up to archive.  Had not yet started a bukkit flavor iteration.
Got distracted after posting the traceback and it got too late to finish.

I plan on poking around with the rest of it today.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed anders...@gmail.com 6/21/12 10:51 AM

ran through the rest of the list fast, all appeared successful.  More poking and prodding to come.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Martin Ramshøj 6/21/12 11:14 AM
Hi Will.

Really looking forward to 0.5.0. The interface looks great :)
I will do the testing with new scripts tomorrow and let you know how it went.

- Martin
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Martin Ramshøj 6/22/12 4:20 AM
I know i'm probably missing something, but I ca't figure out how to get to the files at http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/.
It's does not load the dictionary it just loads the index.html.

Help. I want to help with the testing, so what im I doing wrong.

- Martin

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:17:53 AM UTC+2, Will wrote:
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Kyle 6/22/12 5:57 AM
Mobile friendly???????

I love you.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/22/12 7:51 AM
My bad, I removed that test index.html file and it should now re-allow directory listing.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/22/12 2:56 PM
http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/mobile/app.html

Quite frankly, working on the web-ui makes me hate life all over again....working with javascript and all that stuff really irks me.  There's a likelihood that this is how the normal web-ui might end up, as well as the mobile UI.  This is a sample demo (obviously no interactivity, just placeholder page), but I welcome your feedback on whether this is a suitable desktop-based web-ui and what needs to go/get added as far as it doing everything the current web-ui will do.

Mind you, many things are missing, such as backups, archives, mapping, importing, and even the console log, but for the pages currently in place, are there things there needing attention?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed anders...@gmail.com 6/22/12 8:48 PM
Its clean.  I like it.

On Friday, June 22, 2012 2:56:51 PM UTC-7, Will wrote:
http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/mobile/app.html

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Victor 6/23/12 3:27 AM
Is this only for mobile or also for the pc's?

I really like it, tested it on my mobile phone ( samsung galaxy s 2 ) BUT it was kind of laggy there. didn't go near that smooth as it did on the pc.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/23/12 7:11 PM
On Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:27:46 AM UTC-7, Victor wrote:
Is this only for mobile or also for the pc's?

I really like it, tested it on my mobile phone ( samsung galaxy s 2 ) BUT it was kind of laggy there. didn't go near that smooth as it did on the pc.

Most likely it will be for both; I am enjoying every moment of python programming, but this html/js business is such a chore. I will likely complete just this new web-ui and expect it to be the primary/exclusive web-ui.

Unless there's something glaringly wrong with it, I won't (hopefully) have to bother updating the old web-ui to use the new revamp.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Dave 6/23/12 9:15 PM
Is the stuff in   http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/  the same as the stuff in the Beta Channel?
If it was, I was thinking that I could use that to test latest 0.5 revisions. But I am having problems.
update.sh does not seem to download update_beta.sh. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/24/12 6:53 AM
The 'beta channel' doesn't exist any more, after numerous people decided to not use the update_beta.sh script, but instead delete their files and replace them manually.  Presumably they didnt trust them? At any rate, once they started causing confusion from non-prescribed use, I dropped it pretty quickly.

At this moment, the /crux/beta files are the 0.5.0 files, for which I encouraged only people who were able to put up a dummy test server, rather than end up confusing people who thought beta channel was production ready.  Put another way, please only use these scripts if you are using a testing environment!
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/27/12 10:08 AM
Amount of time in the last 6 days spent on the web-ui: 3 minutes.

I can't think of anything that makes me enjoy MineOS less than producing user interface and working with java.  If any of you are any good / enthusiastic about learning / or otherwise just want to make this aspect more exciting by joining in, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm considering abandoning the whole thing because I truly and honestly get no enjoyment from this sort of work.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Kyle 6/27/12 10:47 AM
:(

Do you have to change the webui at all? I mean, I would love a mobile friendly ui, but the original is plenty good as is.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed gradymcd 6/27/12 3:26 PM
It didn't work for me. When i go to the web-ui it just displays "{"action": "page", "page": "initial", "success": false}"
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/27/12 3:47 PM
The web-ui hasn't been worked on; it doesn't work at all yet.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed gradymcd 6/27/12 4:56 PM
Oh
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Martin Ramshøj 6/28/12 9:00 AM
Hi again.
Finally got around to do some testing here is my experience:

------------

Had some problems getting all the files downloaded, but figured it out in the end.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver create:
Made a folder in the server victory which had a server.config and a server.properties file and also a plugin folder.
The server profile in the server.config was vanilla.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile vanilla
Created a folder with the minecraft_server.jar where the scripts was located.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
Worked fine. I tested that the server was in fact up.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up
returned true

./mineos_console.py -s myserver get memory
./mineos_console.py -s myserver get pid
./mineos_console.py -s myserver get cmdline
All returned appropriate values.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver console-rw
First i just typed console which gave me: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
Then I noticed the -rw in the end and then it gave me the server console.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver stop
Stop the server
Did a ./mineos_console.py -s myserver get up and that returned false

./mineos_console.py -s myserver backup
Created a backup in the backup victory without problems.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver archive
Created a tar.gz archive the in the archive folder.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver set profile bukkit
Took a while to execute (around 3 minutes) presumably while downloading the jar..
An process bar in the console might be helpful?

./mineos_console.py -s myserver start
./mineos_console.py -s myserver stop
Worked fine.

Banging on it with a hammer:
Most of the time I actually use the mineos_console.py to do basic task rather that the web interface.
So I decide to do some more testing making mistakes i would probably make every now and again.

I noticed that some of the commands are not case-insensitive.
It's not a big deal just something to note.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver Get up
Did not produce a error or any output for that matter.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver get Up
Just output "property not-found" which makes sense i guess.

./mineos_console.py -s myserver Start (big S)
acts the same from the console perspective (accept it does not start the server)
It would be nice to get some indication that the command was not successful.

--------

So everything seems to work fine.
Looking forward to the full release of 0.5.0

I'm sad to hear that you don't enjoy the work on the web ui. I really like the new design. I would like to help out but im afraid that I don't have the knowledge required.
I'll be super sad if you drop the new interface, I was looking forward to using it. (It looks fantastic on the ipad be the way)

Anyway thanks for the work you do. I appreciate it very much
[...]

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/28/12 10:12 AM

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:00:25 AM UTC-7, Martin Ramshøj wrote:
Hi again.
Finally got around to do some testing here is my experience:

Thank you very much for this input--it's good to see that after numerous revisions and semi-pervasive code changes that it is still operating for others like it is for me (and that I'm not just pidgeonholing my testing process).

An additional thanks for pointing out things like case insensitivity....accommodating for those types of things is really quite easy, but again--based on my workflow--I tend to do things exactly as I programmed it, so I miss simple things like make 'Start' and 'start' the same....an easy adjustment.

I probably won't end up making a progress bar, but I definitely could make some sort of progress meter, which should be very easy, e.g.,
10%....20%....30%....40%....  progress bars open up a whole new thing I'm not sure people would get that much use of.  The user experience in mineos_console is really quite secondary, since 99% of people are still going to be relying on crontabs or the web-ui, but what's most important is that if it works in console, it'll work in web-ui, and its reassuring to know that a few hundred lines of code later, it's still getting the core tasks done well.

At some point I'll start introducing people to the new code, such as the macro-system and etc, but for right now, this is what matters most in getting 0.5.0 hardened enough to release.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 6/30/12 9:04 AM
Im trying out tekkit and it runs the server just fine but seems like none of the mods are loading, am i missing something?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/30/12 10:38 AM
I'm probably missing something, rather.  I've never modded out tekkit, just tried to make the implementation.

To start, mods can go in /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit, but it is advised to put them in /home/mc/servers/mytekkitserver.  At least, that is my intended model.  if there is any reason you believe this might not be the ideal solution, I'd be happy to hear it, because for me its purely theoretical, rather than practical.

So the model goes like this:

1) mineos.py downloads tekkit_server.zip and extracts it to /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit
2) upon starting a server or setting a servers profile, all files in /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit are copied to AND OVER /home/mc/servers/mytekkitserver UNLESS the file is in mineos.config as part of the 'ignore' attribute which looks like:

[tekkit]
ignore = server.properties,file2.txt,heresanother.txt

3) Files in /home/mc/servers/mytekkitserver that don't exist in /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit remain untouched, which presumably would be jar-generated files and configs.
4) Mods, existing in /home/...../mytekkitserver persist through tekkit_server.zip updates, such as when 3.0.5. comes out, the jar files and such would move over, but your mods remain untouched and intact.

Again, this is just the implementation that makes sense to me from a separation-of-processes standpoint...this may be an improper approach for those who actually run and administer tekkit servers; please let me know what is best.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed MrSerios 6/30/12 4:38 PM
Will do you want help with Web UI, since javascript, css and html are my specialty I can help you to tweak it and make it look "cool"

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:08:46 PM UTC+3, Will wrote:
Amount of time in the last 6 days spent on the web-ui: 3 minutes.

I can't think of anything that makes me enjoy MineOS less than producing user interface and working with java.  If any of you are any good / enthusiastic about learning / or otherwise just want to make this aspect more exciting by joining in, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm considering abandoning the whole thing because I truly and honestly get no enjoyment from this sort of work.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 6/30/12 5:50 PM
Cool isn't really my concern...but functional is.  I already have to write interfaces in python to get content in JSON (already done, rather), writing javascript to turn json into interactive websites in html is not fun.

The web-ui for the most part could just as easily be the new one as it is the old, but only the 'new' one requires that i have to write json classes to get live data from the server.

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:38:01 PM UTC-7, MrSerios wrote:
Will do you want help with Web UI, since javascript, css and html are my specialty I can help you to tweak it and make it look "cool"

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed MrSerios 7/1/12 4:48 AM
That's why I putted cool in quotes :) I mean , more user friendly and "administrative panel" like. Web 2.0 standard and even maybe javascript class to detect mobile browsers. Do you want help, and how can I help you? Probably to install on VM an instance of mineos 0.5.0 and to tweak Web UI or??
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed splash.c...@gmail.com 7/1/12 5:39 AM
Will - you u sir are awesome! been using and playing around with mineos for about a month now... and i'm in loooove! how you keep up the motivation to keep coding at it bewilders me, but your hard work is definitely appreciated! look forwarded to playing around with 0.5.0!!!
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 7/2/12 2:08 AM
Figured out why the mods arnt loading, donno how i missed it the first time round, when you run a server it runs out of /home/mc/servers/"servername" but when you create a tekkit server it doesnt copy over the mods directory from /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit.  I there a setting that needs to be change or functionality that has not yet been added.

I would like to get involved in the development but was thinking more alone the lines of making a standalone package that can be installed on any distro, cant be too hard to just take the existing setup and transfer it to any other distro would it.  Ideally i wouldnt want to make any changes to the original scripts/webstuff etc just package it with webserver,mysql etc.

I havnt explained myself all that well but i hope you get the gist :D
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 7/2/12 3:25 AM
here is a slightly better idea of what im getting at

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/2/12 8:22 AM
Hiya,

With regards to using MineOS' scripts on other distros, no, there is nothing difficult or prohibitive about that sort of model.  The one thing, however, has kept me from doing this (although it is something I kinda would like to have done) is that it requires more work than I truly believe people are willing to do.

MineOS I have created as its own distro because I wanted an easy way to do configurations on non-minecraft related files and services and have it working right away.  Things like iptables and running CGI on a webserver are both things that not only require to be root, but also require post-install configuration.  So in other words, the way for me to appropriately handle these changes (which package systems do not do....automate and edit things like iptables etc), is one of three different ways:

1) create a packaged installation, e.g., apt-get, yum, etc for a given distro.  Require the user to then manually edit their configs for firewalls and webserver.
or
2) write up comprehensive, utterly complicated scripts to adjust intelligently existing configs
or

The problem with the third option is that it necessarily implies a fresh install, which is kind of the opposite of how one would think of a installed package ...compared to 'download binaries, install, use'--which ubuntu makes easy.  Put another way, packages (and especially those with dependencies), typically just install packages....not make blind modifications to them--that is, the changes that I feel are necessary to a hardened, secure server.

So where does that leave this?  Well, one day I still am going to do #1, but that's still after I'd create and release a 0.5.0.  And its also after I feel like CRUX is then done for good....because once I endorse and facilitate a port to another distro in this manner, it is mostly the end of MineOS. At the point where it is documented how to turn a different distro to meet MineOS' config...well, what left is there for me to do? So, we'll see.

Will
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 7/2/12 8:36 AM
my thought was in line with #1 and you would have both mineOS crux and the package(mineOS crux will basiacally be crux with mineos preinstalled and configured) but the package will be an option for people who know what they are doing and can configure there systems themselves on their distro of choice.

One of the big reasons to use this structure now would be to save you allot of code rewriting later when you want to implement it in this way.  Im sure it wouldnt take much more effort than the way you are doing it now and I am more than happy to help out ;)

Will you be starting a project somewhere like google code so anyone can get involved and start committing code?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/2/12 9:42 AM
On Monday, July 2, 2012 8:36:34 AM UTC-7, siegel wrote:
my thought was in line with #1 and you would have both mineOS crux and the package(mineOS crux will basiacally be crux with mineos preinstalled and configured) but the package will be an option for people who know what they are doing and can configure there systems themselves on their distro of choice.

One of the big reasons to use this structure now would be to save you allot of code rewriting later when you want to implement it in this way.  Im sure it wouldnt take much more effort than the way you are doing it now and I am more than happy to help out ;)

Will you be starting a project somewhere like google code so anyone can get involved and start committing code?

Realistically, the way the python scripts have been rewritten....they can work (and have already been shown to work) on other distros.  The only real problem is that--with option #1--that packages do not and can not make changes that would otherwise be required to get it to work.

For example, I couldn't package into an ubuntu package the appropriate changes to let Minecraft through the firewall.  I also couldn't package the appropriate changes to let an ubuntu-web-server package run python scripts --- do I impose lighttpd, apache, hiawatha on them?  Does one of those webservers come as a dependency that I then have to instruct the admin to configure?

Basically, I am capable of doing #1, #2, and #3 for the user when I distribute the OS.  If I guide people to install this atop another distro--and ubuntu certainly is the most likely-- users (and more importantly, novices), will have to do all sorts of configuration where there is room for error and failure.  What's a 10 minute controlled installed of MineOS becomes a 30 minute install & configuration where typos can make it fail.

Consider the tasks to a new ubuntu install even if the files were easily packaged and installed:

1) create a new, unprivileged user and set a password ("way" #1)
2) set up and secure firewall (does ubuntu even have this on, by default on new servers?) ("way"#1)
3) install a packaged webserver (presumably as dependency) (#1, again)
4) post install, edit the webserver configuration (either #1 or #2....either a user can make the changes/mistakes or I have to write an intelligent script)
5) edit the mineos.config
6) create crontabs

None of these are tasks can I automate for a user in a packaging system.

With regard to the MineOS-Ubuntu package, that's less a package and more a 'take a fresh install and turn it into MineOS'....which is a lot more plausible...but its a lot more imposing for those who arent on fresh installs.  So basically I'm at the same point:  either I do a whole 'transformation script' (lots of work and lots of imposition to an admin---who wants scripts creating users on their system?) or I offload that work to the user, in which case I predict successful installs of MineOS will drop at least 50% or more...

Such an approach is, in fact, a huge amount of work more than is required now--because I can depend on myself to either not make mistakes or to catch it and correct it for future users...but I cannot depend on new-linux-users to be able to do those above 6 tasks without a little hand holding...and I want at least the install to always be clean and easy...even if the modifying is hard.

That said, I would not be opposed to hosting the project somewhere, such as github or google code, but as I've stated in some other thread somewhere here in the past week, the low commitment of people to contribute would cause a huge inconvenience to me....Github for 1 person == really, really inconvenient.  Githubt for 2+ people would be more manageable.  And since I've gotten only one code contribution in 19 months of MineOS, I still find that I'll have to manually moderate and control this code all the same. Again, this would change if I knew I had any number of people who could commit and be involved, but if it stays at just me, changing my development workflow to includes pushes and pulls is an unlikely change. Let me know
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 7/2/12 11:09 AM
Sorry I dont think i am explaining myself very well, you should not stop making mineOS Crux but rather make it so that the python scripts and webstuff are a separate single entity thats configuration is defaulted to work with your mineOS crux distro but then can also be used separately on other distros although that would be for more advanced users that are able to configure there systems themselves ie webserver/python/mysql this part will in no way shape or form be aimed at novices.

You probably shouldnt bother with your future plans of automating a package install that can auto configure the users webserver and mysql etc cause there is no way you can accommodation every variation out there.

My intention is not to tell you what to do just voicing my opinions :)

But regardless of all that I would like to get involved in the development, I have moderate experience with python and webdesign, just let me know what i can do ;)

I have started a  google+ hangout and invited you so we can chat.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/2/12 11:33 AM
On Monday, July 2, 2012 11:09:34 AM UTC-7, siegel wrote:
Sorry I dont think i am explaining myself very well, you should not stop making mineOS Crux but rather make it so that the python scripts and webstuff are a separate single entity thats configuration is defaulted to work with your mineOS crux distro but then can also be used separately on other distros although that would be for more advanced users that are able to configure there systems themselves ie webserver/python/mysql this part will in no way shape or form be aimed at novices.

 Well, usually my decisions are geared towards those who are not advanced users.  At this moment, even my 0.4.0 scripts are transplantable onto another distro.  I have, for example, taken 0.4.0 and installed it on FreeBSD.  At one point I intended to release a MineOS Freebsd, but I figured again...that the more 'advanced' I make it, the smaller and smaller the MineOS user base is.  I doubt greatly that people would want to learn FreeBSD, though paradoxically, I feel like a unix-hosted and bsd-hardened server would be everybodys dream--but I have to draw the line somewhere in difficulty offloaded to the user, and I drew it at "basically, I want you to do nothing to get mc up" and "yes, you'll have more work to add software" vs other distros whose attitudes are "basically, it'll take no work to add software, but you have to do everything yourself to get mc up".

My intention is not to tell you what to do just voicing my opinions :)

No worries, I did not feel at all criticized or anything remotely negative.

But regardless of all that I would like to get involved in the development, I have moderate experience with python and webdesign, just let me know what i can do ;)

I have started a  google+ hangout and invited you so we can chat.

Never used google+.  What would I need to do?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed siegel 7/4/12 7:37 AM
this is my first time using hangouts but i have invited you so I assume you will receive some notification when signed into google+.
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/7/12 5:33 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/7/12 5:50 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed bwbio...@gmail.com 7/7/12 6:11 PM
Whenever I try to create a server/do anything related to a server (IE put -s [text] anywhere in the command) I get the following error:

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/7/12 9:50 PM
I can't properly figure out why that would happen without your actual commands. If you can provide the actual console copy paste, it would help greatly
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed bwbio...@gmail.com 7/8/12 12:39 PM

mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s testServer create
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'
mc:minecraft/ $ ./mineos_console.py -s testServer help
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'
mc:minecraft/ $

The first was obviously to attempt to create a server, and the second to just show that it didn't work. If I do anything regarding the -s command, I get that error.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/8/12 8:34 PM
That's my fault. I should've said to add --debug to those lines, as it Would give me stack trace :(
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Alex H. 7/9/12 8:52 PM
I know it would be my

On Monday, July 2, 2012 1:33:44 PM UTC-5, Will wrote:

[...]

I know it would be my dream. I love FreeBSD, possibly too much.  Just for the record, I suppose.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Victor 7/10/12 8:25 AM
is there an release date set yet?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/10/12 10:47 AM
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:25:20 AM UTC-7, Victor wrote:
is there an release date set yet?

Yeah, this thing has kind of lost all its momentum.  For about 15 days straight I was slaving over making the 0.5.0 scripts and all was good, but after 4 separate offers from people to help develop and improve different areas of the web-ui....then zero contact from all them for over a week or more... I've lost most of my steam.

There are no plans to abandon this work--that's for sure--but I also won't be pushing as hard as I was when there was such heavy community involvement (to me, at least, four people was a lot of committed volunteers).   Mind you, I am especially grateful for all the testing of the CLI-side scripts--that part went terrifically--and its also why CLI is done and ready and just held up by re-doing the web-ui end (not the html/css, but the python, to work with the existing html/css and the new 0.5.0 py)

I would've liked to release by July 15, the Anniversary of MineOS CRUX, but unless I see a resurgence of interest in developing 0.5.0, I'm predicting no earlier than the end of July.
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/10/12 2:56 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Victor 7/10/12 2:57 PM
I totally understand it. It's kinda sad. But it's good to hear that you are still working on it even though it's "slow"!
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/13/12 3:16 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/13/12 3:17 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/13/12 3:18 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed nicolai...@gmail.com 7/13/12 3:19 AM
A question:
Will you make CanaryMod compatible again? If not, I understand. But take a look at their new project "CanaryRecode"/"CanaryCreeper" at CanaryMod forums. They are doing a full recode from scratch and I think it will be easier to integrate into MineOS CRUX :-)
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 7/13/12 7:54 AM
Actually, 0.5.0 got canary working in a cinch.  Just like tekkit.  So, yes, canary mod will be supported in this without a problem--you can use canary mod with 0.4.11, too, you know!

That said, a full recode does seem to be what they need...it didnt feel so cleanly written back when it was still new and not that many mineos users ever even tried it out, it seems

On Friday, July 13, 2012 3:19:21 AM UTC-7, nicolai...@gmail.com wrote:
A question:
Will you make CanaryMod compatible again? If not, I understand. But take a look at their new project "CanaryRecode"/"CanaryCreeper" at CanaryMod forums. They are doing a full recode from scratch and I think it will be easier to integrate into MineOS CRUX :-)
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed nicolai...@gmail.com 7/13/12 2:43 PM
YES! I'm so glad :')
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed ad...@reviews.wox.org 7/16/12 12:49 AM
Canary never worked for me, unless it was an /interactive/ (console) process.

Even trying to launch it with & or bg seemed to just halt the server until you FG'd it again - and trying to start it from the web page in MineOS..  lots of very entertaining error messages, that is about it.

Even when I got it to launch interactively, none of the plugins worked in a fresh install. Sure they loaded but any attempt to use them and they choked. Even after spending an hour trying to make sense of their tacked on permissions support.

If a clean test server cant even run 1 plugin, what is the point. Other than you can patch a clean vanilla and in theory not be impacted much by milestone releases by mojang - it seems they have a long way to go. May as well use vanilla (and i do in that situation)

Aside from all the fapping by long term users, for a new user coming into it, its rubbish to be frank.  Even Will pointed out in an earlier posting he couldn't work out why it seemed to be structured in such a stupid way when he tried to code in support for it.  At least with bukkit, so long as you could figure out how to type "op" in the console it was pretty logical to work all the rest out, plugins particularly from there.

In a fresh canary, being opped or not seems to be a futile exercise, since it gains you almost nothing but a pretty color name in the chat if that.

Even a fresh download is in funky zip file - if you can get the thing to download at all.  Then the patching on vanilla, half the time it couldn't even download it properly.

I wanted to like it i really did, but to run on a dedicated server, I may as well have skipped the patching and just stuck with vanilla.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Kyle 7/16/12 3:52 AM
What does canary have that bukkit doesn't? Are they working for Mojang, too? Oh wait, no.

No, they aren't.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed MrSerios 7/18/12 2:45 PM
Sorry Will, I offered my help, but disappeared after that. Still want to help you, but will be unavailable maybe for week or so due real life duties. Also please respond to my previous question in this discussion...
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed martin.je...@gmail.com 7/24/12 2:21 AM
Commands working fine here.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed moonpi...@gmail.com 7/28/12 9:25 PM
Ran thru testing and commands worked fine here also.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed trout121234 8/6/12 11:16 AM
Will....How close is the 0.5.0 update to being done? And for that matter...if I install 0.5.0 beta to my server computer will tekkit run?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 8/7/12 11:28 AM

On Monday, August 6, 2012 11:16:24 AM UTC-7, trout121234 wrote:
Will....How close is the 0.5.0 update to being done? And for that matter...if I install 0.5.0 beta to my server computer will tekkit run?

Realistically, I'm guessing the crux 0.5.0 will never be released.  I don't work on it anymore.  The 0.5.0 backend works, and 0.5.0 is a marvelous (as I see it) improvement, but it is strictly command-line only---no web-ui functionality.

That being said, 0.5.0 is DONE, if you're willing to forego the web-based admin page, and 0.5.0 is for the most part suspended indefinitely if the UI is required.  I mean, I'd say easily 80% or more of the work is complete even on the web-ui, but the remaining 20% is just too unappealing a task for me to tackle--that part is the javascript/JSON aspect of the web-ui.

If I were to re-use the existing web-ui, I'd say easily 90% of the work is complete, but that remaining 10% is too demoralizing, where I would have to rewrite and downgrade my code to fit the old UI--and I'd be just a little bit disappointed if I really had to step backwards like that. In other words, the better-written 0.5.0 backend requires a better-written 0.5.0 front-end and unless somebody is willing to take the initiative to design a new UI or refit the existing web-ui, I'm afraid this is where the new work dies.

I'll perhaps try to release 0.4.12 with a meatier kernel, to increase support for all the devices left out since 3.1.0-rc9, but that would still be rocking a 0.4.x script.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed MrSerios 8/9/12 10:26 PM
Hi Will,
Since I received a lot of help from you and others on this forum, I will gladly help you design a new UI -  I will repeat myself, once again by asking "How can I help you? Probably to install on VM an instance of mineos 0.5.0 and to tweak Web UI or??"
Give me some guidance, how to proceed on this? Maybe to create some Git page to collaborate? I need to start from somewhere, for example you told me what is need to be done and I will make it for you. If you want, contact me on private :)
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 8/9/12 10:54 PM

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:26:19 PM UTC-7, MrSerios wrote:
Hi Will,
Since I received a lot of help from you and others on this forum, I will gladly help you design a new UI -  I will repeat myself, once again by asking "How can I help you? Probably to install on VM an instance of mineos 0.5.0 and to tweak Web UI or??"
Give me some guidance, how to proceed on this? Maybe to create some Git page to collaborate? I need to start from somewhere, for example you told me what is need to be done and I will make it for you. If you want, contact me on private :)

What I need is all the javascript on the UI to be rewritten to use the 0.5.0 version of server.py, which uses JSON.  It's not really tweaking.  It's pretty much creating the whole thing.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed trout121234 8/18/12 8:30 PM
Will, Why do you sound so bummed out? I thought you started 0.5.0 mainly to add the functionality of tekkit??? Could you at least release something that lets tekkit run smoothly?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed ad...@reviews.wox.org 8/21/12 6:18 PM
To be honest Will, the only thing I use the web UI for is to send console commands, do a quick check of the last 20 lines of console, and sometimes press the web update button.

Every now and again i might make a test server, or change a server.properties setting there just for convenience, but i do everything else ssh or in-game anyway.

If I could find a really easy way to send console commands to the server from ssh I would probably stop using it except when i needed a quick visual check of stuff anyway.

It could be just me, but I imagine a lot of other people playing the arms race that is keeping bukkit up to date has eventually reached this same place at one point or another.

Although admittedly i'm not using 050 unless the web update pulled it across -  be interesting to see some docs that itemise all the new goodies.

Will there be a wiki tutorial on putting it in? and will the web console (even tho it will not gain any of the new functionality) still function?  That is probably the only two questions that concern most small server operators.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 8/22/12 9:35 AM
0.5.0 works.  0.5.0 is done if you are okay having zero web-ui functionality.  It does add tekkit, it runs and manages it smoothly--all of this, again, is entirely command line based.

On Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:30:16 PM UTC-7, trout121234 wrote:
...I thought you started 0.5.0 mainly to add the functionality of tekkit??? Could you at least release something that lets tekkit run smoothly?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 8/22/12 9:44 AM
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:18:09 PM UTC-7, ad...@reviews.wox.org wrote:
[...]

Well, the only things you use the web-ui for are things that are done  much more easily in 0.5.0.  You'd be a great candidate for it, because 0.5.0 (unlike the direction of 0.4.0) is aimed at adding more functionality TO the command line.  It was simply planned that all this added CLI functionality would be accessible from the UI.  Another way to word it is 0.5.0 added functionality across the board, whereas 0.4.x developments typically ONLY improved the web-ui usability.

Mind you, it is my believe that 0.5.0 is so solidly built that it would still hold up against all MC and MC-mods now until the end of time.  I really think it was built forward-thinking enough that it is the most robust minecraft-starter script out there.  Realistically, this 0.5.0 script should be released to the normal MC community as a standalone (non-mineos-related) script, because at this point in its development (cli done, webui untouched), it is a hugely portable startup script.

In fact, other than depending on rdiffbackup to exist on the target machine,  0.5.0 will work on any sane distro immediately.  I've used these scripts to start a server on Freebsd and a regular version of CRUX. I suspect it would be the same on ubuntu, debian, etc.

0.5.0 did not roll out to anybody; it is--as it always has been--freely downloadable http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/.

It is more likely that 0.5.0 will get released as 'the python startup script' (standalone) than it will in a 0.5.0 version of mineos.  Considering so many people out there still use stupid BASH scripts....I can deduce that the only reason my much-easier script hasnt been adopted widely outside mineos is because of branding (them not liking it, and them not understanding that the scripts are distro-agnostic). But we'll see.
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Andy Shulman 8/25/12 5:46 PM
Will,

I absolutely hate Javascript as well, but I'm willing to help out. Do you have a GitHub, or similar?

Andy
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 8/27/12 8:49 AM

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:46:28 PM UTC-7, Andy Shulman wrote:
Will,

I absolutely hate Javascript as well, but I'm willing to help out. Do you have a GitHub, or similar?

No, and I don't intend to use one.  GitHub/etc is great for collaboration, which has shown to not be the case at all in the development of MineOS.  Since most of MineOS has pretty much occurred asynchronously, it wouldn't be beneficial to add the learning curve of these softwares to do what simple back-and-forth email might accomplish. In other words, if theres ever only one person developing at a time (as is the case now -- since im not), github just complicates the matter.  One could get a fully working JS for the webui working locally then I could get my hands on it, polish and release
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Andy Shulman 8/29/12 11:20 AM
Okay. Moving to email.

Andy
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed ad...@reviews.wox.org 8/30/12 2:27 AM
Scratch that, think ive got pigmap rendering, still have
basezoom issues but know how  to fix that..

As for other question... lemme know :P

Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Martin Ramshøj 8/30/12 6:07 AM
Sounds good! Glad too see someome pick up the torch. :)
I would help out but I don't have the skill. :( But let me know if you need anybody to do testing, i'm always up for that.

Thanks for helping out the mineOS community :D
- Martin
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Zone 11/7/12 8:57 AM

Does MoneOS Crux have Native TRIM support?
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Will 11/7/12 10:17 AM
On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:57:28 AM UTC-7, Zone wrote:

Does MoneOS Crux have Native TRIM support?

TRIM support seem to be different than simply enabling an option in the kernel config: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim

2) Automatic TRIM

Automatic TRIM is supported since kernel 2.6.33 with the EXT4 file system

For automatic TRIM to work, the drive needs to be mounted with the "discard" option in fstab. To add this option run:

So, it appears its related to the filesystem whether trim gets used--and not only that, you'd probably have to adjust the fstab to have these feature enabled.  So it looks more like an apply-to-a-server thing rather than a baked-into-the-kernel thing.  But let me know if you run into anything that runs contrary to my understanding--I've never worked with SSDs
Re: 0.5.0 Testing help needed Zone 11/7/12 12:57 PM
I'm looking into picking up a 32 GB SSD, hopefully around Black Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
More topics »