Looking for a way to have the server send a e-mail with a new ip, if the ip changes!

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Looking for a way to have the server send a e-mail with a new ip, if the ip changes! bjorn...@gmail.com 10/4/12 4:27 PM
Hi Will!

First I like to thank you greatly for all your work you have put into this project,  and it's nice to see that you are still developing it with a new version in progress, new webUI etc. Keep up the good work!=)

I looked around in this group, but didn't find others asking a similar question, so I'm asking it here!

I wonder if there is an easy way to have the server sending a notifying e-mail to a specific email-address about a change of the dynamic ip adress???
Is there any way to achieve this? Like some code or something that checks if the ip-adress has changed and then sends a new one by e-mail?

Is it possible with crontabs in some way?

Thanks in advance
A happy learning Linux novice! =)
Re: Looking for a way to have the server send a e-mail with a new ip, if the ip changes! bjorn...@gmail.com 10/5/12 5:00 AM
I found some script on this link below, but I have no exact clue how to get it to work correctly?!?!

http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/516
Re: Looking for a way to have the server send a e-mail with a new ip, if the ip changes! Will 10/5/12 8:52 AM

On Friday, October 5, 2012 5:00:55 AM UTC-7, bjorn...@gmail.com wrote:
I found some script on this link below, but I have no exact clue how to get it to work correctly?!?!

http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/516

That script is a good one for what you're trying to accomplish, but the snag for most users is that residential ISP service typically blocks email outbound, which might be a restricting factor in you being able to accomplish this.  The need to send out emails is accommodated, however,  by the existence of ISPs providing SMTP relays which mean you send email to them...and they forward it to the place its destined for (after confirming its not spam).

That said, if you are not blocked on sending outgoing email (typically  blocked to prevent residential-based spam flooding), the only thing you'd need for this script is the 'mail' sender.

A number of mail senders exist, such as those readily available as ports: http://crux.nu/portdb/index.php?q=mail&a=search  None of them are 'mail' (but one of them is SendEmail), but thats because typically many sendmail apps are interchangeable down to even the syntax.

Consider though that you might be blocked, you might look at Dynamic DNS instead.  There are many services that have you install dynamic dns software onto your server...and your server auto-tells the dynamic dns service your IP changed....so you'd never have to be burdened by your ever-changing IP, but instead you can focus on your always-static dyn dns IP.
Re: Looking for a way to have the server send a e-mail with a new ip, if the ip changes! bjorn...@gmail.com 10/6/12 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info Will, it was helpful, but I think you're right, it's probably more easy to just have a free DNS service like no-ip to solve this!