0.5.0 is ready for testing!

Showing 1-74 of 74 messages
0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 9/25/12 8:38 PM
Alright, so admittedly this is a work in progress...in fact, there's still a LOT of work to go, and this doesn't even qualify for a  beta (more like a pre-alpha).

But I'd rather fill you guys in on what I've created thus far and give you a chance to toy around with it.  Right now the state it is in is WORKABLE, in that you can create and start/stop/modify servers and many other things, but the functionality is not yet matching the 0.4.11.  Obviously before it's released on its own full ISO it will be much more polished and bug-free, but I want some additional eyes on this project (as well as the hope that people could help develop too...but even just testing is enough).

The youtube video shows you how to use the 0.5.0 scripts on a FRESH 0.4.x install--do NOT install this on your production servers.  Do it with either a spare box that is doing nothing or a virtual machine.  This is NOT ready for production use!  It's not particularly volatile or dangerous, but I just don't want real players to get caught up in what is clearly experimental-level software.

The url in the video for the update script is: http://minecraft.codeemo.com/crux/beta/update.sh

Let me reiterate: this is hardly the level of software perfection I want from the 0.5.0 release, but hopefully it'll let you guys know I am dilligently working on this and really hope to make this the most future-proofed version to date.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think and how it works for you; itd be a great help!

Will

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! valgi 9/27/12 9:49 AM
It was a very good tutorial. the server was setted up like a charm. there where a few render problems, but that probabaly the fault of my pc.
but we (friend and i) got an error message when trying to take tekkit stuff from inventory (toomanyitems) , not with standard minecraft blocks.
he said to delete the netherores.jar in /usr/games/minecraft/tekkit/mods and after that restarted the server and then i worked perfect.
and is it right there is no console in the beta update? because i cant find it

valgi
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 9/27/12 1:02 PM
Functionality is not quite matched yet.  Because of the hugely drastic change to a JSON based transfer of information (different from the 'create html server side' approach), basically, I'm having to code everything from scratch...which I'm actually quite pleased with because I'm much better with JS now than I was before and I'm really pleased with the progress.

I'm still figuring out how I want the console presented visually, though...because I'm exploring ways to make it live-update, rather than the 'manually refresh' approach the previous one used.

That said, did you do OK with the other web-ui aspects, such as the 'modify' page and making sense of the profiles?

Thanks for your feedback!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Damon 9/29/12 8:03 AM
i followed the youtube video exactly with a fresh install of mineos and get no profiles in the webui (see image)
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Damon 9/29/12 8:08 AM
never mind i had to change the permissions after i found a heap of "(CRITICAL) _check_permissions_mineos: Cannot find all mineos scripts!" in the mineos log
i feel stupid now :C
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 9/30/12 6:15 PM
Restoring and pruning added to the web-ui, listing off precise dates and times as in the old one.

Re-running the update script should be enough (permissions should be unchanged).
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/2/12 6:06 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/2/12 8:18 PM
Added importing archives from the web-ui.  Imports will now accept all zips and tar/tar.gz files whether or not they were made from mineos.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/2/12 11:54 PM
Scripts and web-ui can now be updated through the web-ui through the use of 'use stable' and 'use beta' buttons.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/3/12 6:08 AM
I have a request. Could you add the framework for permissions editor in the web UI? The goal would be that any end-user could configure it according to any permission plug-in. That way we could add permissions safely and easily. This would seriously be it's weight in gold.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/3/12 11:35 AM
On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:08:46 AM UTC-7, Zone wrote:
I have a request. Could you add the framework for permissions editor in the web UI? The goal would be that any end-user could configure it according to any permission plug-in. That way we could add permissions safely and easily. This would seriously be it's weight in gold.

Unfortunately there's a snag with this sort of thing.  For starters, I've never actually worked with permissions (or any non-vanilla mod, for that matter), so my familiarity with what is needed--technically--is lacking.

The other thing is (and im not sure if its related or such), is that it's hard for me to add anything to the web-ui that is custom-server specific.  That is, is it possible for me to abstract a permissions interface that works for the permissions mod now...and will it keep working with continued changes to the mod in the future?  It would be ten times worse if I got it to work as of today, then (by my not keeping up with minecraft server jars in general), the interface stops working leaving people with the dead weight in their UI until I re-research it and make it compatible.  Also, are there more than one kind of permissions mod?  Would a web-based YAML editor do in its stead?  These sort of questions make it hard for me to plan for and keep working such a specialized utility.  Let me know if im missing something incredulously simple though, like you just needing a way to modify flat files, similar to how we can modify server.properties etc.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! SBHouse 10/3/12 4:15 PM
Hi Will,

I've been absent for a bit as my personal life became hectic.  I've just moved houses, a lengthy process - but worth it as we doubled our Sq Ft and now each kid has his/her own room.  And my Minecraft server is not currently set up.  But I want you to know that I have every intent of jumping in here and providing feedback when I can.  It just may be another week or two before I can.

- SBHouse

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! valgi 10/4/12 12:17 PM
could it be possible that the update.sh file has changed? because i got i working a week ago and now i am only getting problems with the webui

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! pant...@kaijin.com 10/4/12 12:28 PM
Will,

The new UI looks amazing! Thank you for your hard work! I'm going to try tossing this onto a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 Server and see if I can get it working there.

One question on the profiles though... In the current MinOS CRUX 0.4 release, when editing a server, you get a dropdown selection of all of the .JAR files in the /usr/games/minecraft directory. I use this to run a server with a specifically modified jar file (version of forge, any other additions needed, version of Minecraft, etc). In this way, I'm able to have a MC 1.2.5 server running and a MC 1.3.2 server running. I modify my own minecraft_server.jar files, rename them to add the version of forge and anything else I've added to the jar, and then upload them to the /usr/games/minecraft directory.

With the new profile system, it looks like can't specify which JAR is being used directly in the server configuration but it must be specified through the profile system. It also looks like the profile system requires a HTTP URL to download the jar from. What happens with a situation like mine where there isn't a download available since I'm creating the JAR and uploading it to my server myself?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/4/12 2:20 PM
On Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:17:04 PM UTC-7, valgi wrote:
could it be possible that the update.sh file has changed? because i got i working a week ago and now i am only getting problems with the webui

Ah, it did change...choosing my final directory structure for the full-blown releases by having separate beta/stable dirs.

But in doing so, I forgot to adjust my server-side rsync config to point to the stable directory your "old" update.sh was pointing to....this should be remedied now, so go try your existing update.sh file.

Any newer download attempts (those who downloaded update.sh for the first time) will already now have the newer, correct shell script.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/4/12 3:01 PM
On Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:28:43 PM UTC-7, pant...@kaijin.com wrote:
[...]

The URL in the server config is strictly for updating--if you choose to upload it yourself (since youre making the jar), you can just ignore the 'update' button for the profile.  I'll check and/or adjust my code to ensure that the URL can be left blank for cases like yours.  In any case, until that's confirmed, I feel that in the meantime you could put a dummy URL and never use the update button.

There are two times the URL attempts to get used:
1) update_profile is pushed
2) server is tried to be started without a jar file existing on the HDD as specified by the config

My vision of how youd accomplish your individual setup is thus:

  1. move your jars into these directories after creating them
    mkdir /usr/games/minecraft/forge125
    mkdir /usr/games/minecraft/forge132
  2. add entries to mineos.config
    [downloads]
    forge125_jar = http://127.0.0.1/minecraft_server.jar
    forge132_jar = http://127.0.0.1/minecraft_server.jar
    [forge125]
    jar_args = nogui
    jar_file = minecraft_server.jar
    [forge132]
    jar_args = nogui
    jar_file = minecraft_server.jar
    [update]
    forge125 = false
    forge132 = false
  3. Even though it points to 127.0.0.1, this isn't a valid path--its simply there as a placeholder
  4. That should be it.  it should be showing up in the web-ui now
You did remind me of something crucial though--not only to put the 'create profile' functionality in the web-ui, but also the easy-add profile functionality I'm hoping for to make it easier to reproduce profiles.  I'm gonna add this tonight--a text box in the web-ui where you can copy/paste this:

"dp0\nS'profile'\np1\nS'vanilla'\np2\nsS'url'\np3\nS'http://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload/launcher/minecraft_server.jar'\np4\nsS'download_type'\np5\nS'jar'\np6\nsS'update'\np7\nI01\nsS'jar_filename'\np8\nS'minecraft_server.jar'\np9\ns."

Then, the web-ui will dissect all the info, add the profile information automatically to all necessary files.  For example, for the forge125 I mentioned above, it would be:

"dp0\nS'profile'\np1\nS'forge125'\np2\nsS'url'\np3\nS'http://127.0.0.1/minecraft_server.jar'\np4\nsS'update'\np5\nI00\nsS'jar_filename'\np6\nS'minecraft_server.jar'\np7\nsS'download_type'\np8\nS'jar'\np9\nsS'jar_args'\np10\nS'nogui'\np11\ns."

Copy/paste into the web-ui and you'd be done (or in this particular custom-jar case, copy/paste into the web-ui, then copy the jar file manually).
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! pant...@kaijin.com 10/4/12 3:06 PM
Thanks for info! I'm really excited about trying this out tonight once I get off work. The new GUI looks awesome and hopefully will fix the 1.3.2 bug I'm seeing with the current GUI in that once a 1.3.2 forge server is started, the GUI will fail to load fully because it won't be able to properly figure out the player count when you refresh the main GUI.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! pant...@kaijin.com 10/5/12 8:34 AM
Well, I got the scripts setup under Ubuntu 12.04 server, got Hiawatha installed, confirmed cgi works, python works, and the scripts themselves can be run from the command line and work, mostly. There is a bug when creating a new server from the command line (and probably the web UI) where it doesn't seem to be reading the defaults defined in /usr/games/minecraft/mineos.config for the java location and is defaulting to /usr/java/java-latest instead. I just created a symlink and that worked around that bug. I could have edited each servers server.config file directly but meh.

That said, the web UI isn't working. The basic page loads, and the hiawatha server log files indicate it is executing the python server.py script just fine, no errors, but nothing is being returned. There are no profiles showing, no MineOS file versions, and I can't actually do anything in the UI. What am I missing here?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/5/12 12:38 PM
On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:34:52 AM UTC-7, pant...@kaijin.com wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your feedback; I went and fixed the bug where the mineos.config wasn't actually being referenced by the create() function--this issue has been solved.

With regard to the webui, there are a few avenues to explore:

1) are you matching the expected file structure with /cgi-bin/?
2) more importantly, is the symlink that points to /usr/games/minecraft/server.py (only one needed) owned by root:root?  (hiawatha will only trust root owned symlinks)
3) less likely issue, is the computer youre accessing the webui on connected to the internet? (currently the webui used google hosted jquery)
4) is your browser producing any javascript console errors?
5) what user/privileges does your hiawatha service run under--do these play nicely with the 'group' and 'other' permissions of the python scripts? (in mineos, both are mc:games)

Let me know
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! pant...@kaijin.com 10/5/12 3:19 PM

On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:38:36 PM UTC-7, Will wrote:
Thanks for your feedback; I went and fixed the bug where the mineos.config wasn't actually being referenced by the create() function--this issue has been solved.

With regard to the webui, there are a few avenues to explore:

1) are you matching the expected file structure with /cgi-bin/?

drwxrwxr-x 2 mc mc  4096 Oct  5 15:10 cgi-bin/

located in /var/www/hiawatha/admin/

2) more importantly, is the symlink that points to /usr/games/minecraft/server.py (only one needed) owned by root:root?  (hiawatha will only trust root owned symlinks)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   30 Oct  5 07:44 server.py -> /usr/games/minecraft/server.py*

3) less likely issue, is the computer youre accessing the webui on connected to the internet? (currently the webui used google hosted jquery)

I'm remote to the server at the moment so it definitely has access to the internet

4) is your browser producing any javascript console errors?

There are a lot of css errors showing up (Firefox 15.0.1 -> Tools -> Web Developer -> Error Console) as well as two of these:

Timestamp: 10/5/2012 3:17:35 PM
Error: TypeError: a is undefined
Source File: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.1/jquery.min.js
Line: 2

5) what user/privileges does your hiawatha service run under--do these play nicely with the 'group' and 'other' permissions of the python scripts? (in mineos, both are mc:games)

The Hiawatha service runs under www-data/www-data and the group and other permissions of the python scrips are set to r-x / r-x. However, the compiled versions of those files are set to r-- r--, does that matter?

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/6/12 7:57 AM

4) is your browser producing any javascript console errors?

There are a lot of css errors showing up (Firefox 15.0.1 -> Tools -> Web Developer -> Error Console) as well as two of these:

Timestamp: 10/5/2012 3:17:35 PM
Error: TypeError: a is undefined
Source File: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.1/jquery.min.js
Line: 2

Hm, well if your browser isn't loading the jquery script, nothing would work--and you wouldn't see any errors because nothing is being asked of the pythong scripts itself.  Have you seen the same behavior in other browsers?  I've been developing in chrome and testing in IE without issue...and I thought I also had no issue with FF either--at least at the point where it would display these things.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Joel Falknau 10/7/12 3:43 AM
let me begin by saying thanks for all the hard work

two questions, i can update to the latest stable 0.5.0a without a hitch (though im already on it)

but when i attempt to update to 0.5.0b with the "update and use beta" function it returns
"[] update_beta
Command failed: rsync -r rsync://mineos@codeemo.com/beta_scripts /usr/games/minecraft"

i've ran the 0.5.0 update scripts on a fresh 0.4 install, am i missing something or does the beta update not function currently

secondly id like to raise the point about permissions - i am perfectly happy with a web based YAML editor, that would be amazing - and whilst i think about it, how hard would it be to add a telnet client to the web interface? or is it not worth the effort?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/7/12 8:04 AM
On Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:43:19 AM UTC-7, Joel Falknau wrote:
let me begin by saying thanks for all the hard work

two questions, i can update to the latest stable 0.5.0a without a hitch (though im already on it)

but when i attempt to update to 0.5.0b with the "update and use beta" function it returns
"[] update_beta
Command failed: rsync -r rsync://mineos@codeemo.com/beta_scripts /usr/games/minecraft"

'beta' doesn't exist at the moment and will always give that error--until I start working on scrips that I'd qualify as beta.  Again, against normal, common practice, I'm not incrementing the version for each thing that I add because for me this is essentially an alpha--I'm still adding functionality and finding out what people need in order for this to be a replacement webui to the one already existing.  Once I release an actual 0.5.0 (one worthy of an ISO) every change, including typos and commenting will end up getting version increases.  It'd be at that time 'beta' can exist...because I'll have to be looking out for the entire mineos base who would be affected by updates, no just those early adopters and testers who use it right now.

i've ran the 0.5.0 update scripts on a fresh 0.4 install, am i missing something or does the beta update not function currently

secondly id like to raise the point about permissions - i am perfectly happy with a web based YAML editor, that would be amazing - and whilst i think about it, how hard would it be to add a telnet client to the web interface? or is it not worth the effort?

I'll see about the YAML editor.  thats probably something that also will exist in a 'beta' version seeing as its a drastic enough change it could break things, but not critical enough to get out before the bulk of the new UI.

Also, I remember I had a telnet client before that was javabased that I included in my first, microcore OS, so it shouldn't be hard to add--I'll probably just have such a thing off the web-ui, on its own html page for clear separation.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/7/12 8:07 AM
Ok, so as we're rounding the last corner or so, I need to know what the priorities are to make 0.5.0 a full-fledged web-ui.  I know that the functionality doesn't yet match the old one (but in some areasit has more), but what is absolutely essential to find that 95% of your admin tasks can be done.

I am guessing the server log console might be critical, so i'll work on that next, but some things aren't, like c10t mapping, which no longer works.

What are absolute essentials to you guys?
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/7/12 8:54 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/7/12 9:06 AM
Added server log to the web-ui.  Its not in the presentation I'm most happy with, but it is functional to view logs. I'm still deciding how best to format it for best use. Once I have that settled, the interactive console element will also be easy to add.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! John Fuesting 10/7/12 9:26 AM
 I was just starting to type "server log" when I saw your last reply. I'm fairly satisfied as-is for the easy stuff. A built in YAML and/or editor for CRON jobs would be great.

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:07:46 AM UTC-5, Will wrote:
Ok, so as we're rounding the last corner or so, I need to know what the priorities are to make 0.5.0 a full-fledged web-ui.  I know that the functionality doesn't yet match the old one (but in some areasit has more), but what is absolutely essential to find that 95% of your admin tasks can be done.

I am guessing the server log console might be critical, so i'll work on that next, but some things aren't, like c10t mapping, which no longer works.

What are absolute essentials to you guys?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Joel Falknau 10/8/12 1:31 AM
well as you said, console functionality would be great, as well as the profile editor, i mean i can vim, but admittedly im still a bit noobish when it comes to terminal, im guilty of installing gui's even on my servers

other than that, all the base functionality is in place, any administration can be done via the server console

that reminds me, the GUI for permissions that mcmyadmin uses is fantastic, it can be seen in the users and groups section of the live demo http://play.phonicuk.com:8090/

that would be something id be looking at, whilst i have little to no ability to code (only read and edit) i do have an understanding of the permissions plugin interface and how this could possibly work
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! fluxon...@gmail.com 10/8/12 4:18 AM
It seems like tekkit still refuses to work. I think it doesnt copy the mods over if you create a server.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! marsla...@gmail.com 10/8/12 6:52 AM
a map button that makes a pigmap render for a server

or maybe a self-configurable button (maybe we could specify that in the mineos.config?) which excecutes a command that you specify. That would be really nice for example a custom mapping software, or things like that

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/8/12 7:55 AM
I was able to add console functionality last night--there is now an input box permitting commands to be directly inputted to the console.

With regard to permissions interface, its rather discouraging to even look at things like mcmyadmin; it is realistically impossible to ever try to match any of the functionality, since mcmyadmin depends on the rapid-development MONO framework, meaning hundreds of thousands of lines of UI simplifying controls are available at his disposal, whereas I instead am programming everything from scratch.  Of course, its almost unfair to compare, since I'm doing MineOS as a pet project to teach linux and spend time programming (rather than a profit-seeking commercial product), so to set your expectations reasonably, I'd say its unlikely I'd be even able to mimic the functionality of his permissions.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/8/12 7:57 AM
On Monday, October 8, 2012 4:18:21 AM UTC-7, fluxon...@gmail.com wrote:
It seems like tekkit still refuses to work. I think it doesnt copy the mods over if you create a server.
I find tekkit opens repeatedly and without fail--of course, I'm not spending time configuring plugins and all the other things tekkit probably requires in order to .... be fun.

So the first questions are:  what steps are you following, are you getting any actual errors, and how did you determine the mods aren't being copied?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/8/12 8:02 AM
The mapping button is actually really easy to do from a technical standpoint, considering the model I've used in these scripts, though admittedly its still not available in the web-ui to add self-configurable buttons--an idea which I can certainly work with.  I'll see about this in the next few days.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/8/12 4:27 PM
Alright, from what I can tell, the current UI seems to at least match the functionality of the previous web-ui.  In some areas I think the user-controls have greatly improved and in some areas I definitely need to rework it--but I need all your guys' help to see if this web-ui is ready for my aesthetic focus or if there are still critical functions this web-ui should use for you to feel like you have truly upgraded.

If all functionality is there, I'll be focusing this entire week on creating what I hope is the finalized, clean and streamlined web-ui.  This means I want every pixel hawked after and positioned properly and beautifully (they aren't now!) and all the small little bugs squashed. Since all the new jquery/json based code is highly modularized, I can have complete overhauls in UI and still not have to do any programming--this is the chance for me to create a visually appealing UI you can show off to your friends...

...but mind you, i excel at the programming and i suck at prettiness...so if anybody out there has any aesthetic talent, i dont care what it is--a PSD mockup or a new html file with accompanying stylesheet--i can make it work with the 0.5.0 scripts...but left to my own talents, were left with the monochromatic monstrosity that has been mineos' web-ui green. help if you can!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Jim 10/9/12 3:52 PM
Fresh install of MineOS 0.4.x - following the YouTube video - get to the point where I run update.sh - and I don't see the custom.py file at all.

Launch the web-ui and there are no profiles and no file versions. Click on either update button and an error appears to tell me that custom.py doesn't exist.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/9/12 4:21 PM
Ah, this attests to how strict and finicky linux can be sometimes!

I modified the update.sh to make sure to only download custom.py if it doesn't already exist (to preserve user changes), but i made a biff!

line i typed:
rsync -r -u --exclude "*" --include="custom.py" rsync://mineos@codeemo.com/stable_scripts /usr/games/minecraft

line i needed:
rsync -r -u --include="custom.py" --exclude "*" rsync://mineos@codeemo.com/stable_scripts /usr/games/minecraft

Yep, the order matters.  Try getting the new update.sh file or download the custom.py manually--it appears to be working aok now

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/17/12 12:04 PM
Alright, spent the last week revamping the whole UI to use the Knockout Javascript framework making UIs not only easy but surprisingly fun--

this UI is seriously amazing now!
  • you can send commands to servers and get the console log live updated
  • you can modify and add server.properties with a single click
  • you can more easily see the number of restore points available, easily prune old points
  • the page updates after commands are sent (e.g., start) so that no refresh is necessary
  • profiles are easy to understand thanks to flexible UI
  • you can import servers from zips, tar, tar.gz, tgz--created from any source, even non-mineos archives
  • actual memory usage per server listed on status page
coming in the next day or two:
  • ability to fully delete attributes from server.properties
  • hdd usage
  • "realtime" (3sec delay) cpu usage
  • restore point table which shows incremental sizes in MB
It's a week away from being the full, replace-the-old UI, I think.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! fluv...@gmail.com 10/17/12 8:00 PM
Hi, I just had a quick question!
I am unable to test unfortunately, as I do not have a free computer to test on, but I do have a small question about the features in this new version.
I'm wondering if there will be a hibernate/system sleep feature available... I would love to be able to have the server shutdown at night then have it be able to automatically be able to turn on in the morning...

Is that going to be a possibility?

Thanks!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Joel Falknau 10/17/12 11:18 PM
two quick questions, whats the ideal method i should be using to update the beta build, just running the update.sh? or using the update and use stable button?

secondly is it worth assigning a second CPU to mineos, its currently running in virtualbox on a dual core athlon (ewwy AMD) since the machine also doubles as a NAS
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/18/12 7:52 AM
Hiya, most of my work nowadays (and probably on the whole, going forward), is going to be directed specifically at usability of the interface rather than the OS, as it is the area that truly needs the most attention (and makes these scripts usable even off-crux).  With regard to a hibernate / system sleep, unfortunately this isnt in the plan for MineOS, as ... I actually have no idea how to do such a thing.  That said, if its doable, it's doable on the current Crux release as much as it would be on future ones, but that sort of server behavior auto-start/off is something im not familiar or have an idea on how to implement.  If you discover any leads, I'd be happy to help guide you through it, of course
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/18/12 8:01 AM
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:18:49 PM UTC-7, Joel Falknau wrote:
two quick questions, whats the ideal method i should be using to update the beta build, just running the update.sh? or using the update and use stable button?

secondly is it worth assigning a second CPU to mineos, its currently running in virtualbox on a dual core athlon (ewwy AMD) since the machine also doubles as a NAS

1) the ideal method going forward is to use the stable and update buttons on the web-ui.  However, the rsync structure I had set up when I *first* started requesting people using 0.5.0 is different than the one I have dutifully settled on now, knowing I was committing to the stable/beta channel thing in full.  Long story short, the update.sh you have now might have an outdated rsync command....but it WILL download the current update.sh.  So if you have the old one, run it twice.  Or, if you'd prefer:
./update.sh

THEN, its all set forever; use the web-ui for all updates.  'beta' isn't going to do anything right now because no beta exists. But when I start adding adventurous things to the scripts, it certainly will.  As of today, I'm going to be incrementing the versions of the files no matter how small the update.

2) I wouldn't think so.  minecraft is single core anyway, and you'd be doing just fine to have mc limited to that half of your system all the same.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/18/12 7:48 PM
It appears that from a fresh install of 0.4.x, simply running the update.sh script is enough to get this 100% up and running with no other steps needed:

(as mc):

cd /usr/games/minecraft
./update.sh

The web-ui works fine, all the pre-existing profiles download as expected and it seems pretty easy to get up and running--I'd like to hear all your experiences!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/19/12 10:59 AM

I'm running into permissions problems over SSH as mc

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/toastr" failed: Permission denied (13)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/.index.html.YqSYqq" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/.normalize.css.oNQ5VN" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/.scriptin.js.oLP2rb" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/.stylin.css.2oO7ez" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/hiawatha/admin/.update.sh.aXfgdX" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1508) [generator=3.0.7]
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/19/12 11:17 AM
A little stupidity on my part
sudo ./update.sh fix the issue

On to an Interesting exciting problem :D Why is this fun because I get to learn!

When I try to create a new profile I get popping up in red to the right of the screen.

create_profile
Gobal name 'stat' not defined

It also happens creating a new server
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/19/12 11:34 AM
I'm not sure about the "Gobal name 'stat' not defined" problem, but it could all ultimately relate to the ownership of the files.

None of these files or commands should use 'sudo'--that is in direct conflict with the ownership supposed to be by 'mc'.

This might mean you may have at one point done .... a lot of stuff as 'root'--or been using sudo...

I'm assuming you're doing all this on an existing server, you might consider doing it as a fresh install, given that it might take less time than for you to locate and chown improperly owned files by root.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/19/12 11:36 AM

On Friday, October 19, 2012 11:34:40 AM UTC-7, Will wrote:

I'm assuming you're doing all this on an existing server, you might consider doing it as a fresh install, given that it might take less time than for you to locate and chown improperly owned files by root.

Or I guess you can also 'sudo' use the /root/runonce/fix_permissions script.  One way or the other, you should be able to do things -- all these things -- as mc.  If you cant and sudo lets you, it'll only make things complicated in the long run
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/19/12 12:33 PM
The  fix_permissions script fixed the issue for me so far. Like you said there could be competitions. Next chance I get I will reformat server. Although I don't look forward to the two hours of travel time to get there :P
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/19/12 1:03 PM

On Friday, October 19, 2012 12:34:00 PM UTC-7, Zone wrote:
The  fix_permissions script fixed the issue for me so far. Like you said there could be competitions. Next chance I get I will reformat server. Although I don't look forward to the two hours of travel time to get there :P

Well, that's one of those cover-all solutions but I certainly don't think its required--you definitely shouldn't make a trip for it--if the fix_permissions script seems to have fixed it...it probably did!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/19/12 1:15 PM
Nice job on the Web UI!

The only remaining issues I have after testing
The Server Console being spammed. This is with vanilla Mc.
 2012-10-19 13:58:20     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52302 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:18     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52301 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:17     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52300 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:15     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52299 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:13     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52298 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:12     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52297 lost connection
2012-10-19 13:58:10     INFO     /127.0.0.1:52296 lost connection

When I try to use
Update & Use Beta

update_beta
Command failed: rsync -r --exclude 'mineos.config' rsync://mineos@codeemo.com/beta_webui /var/www/hiawatha/admin

Update & Use Stable works as expected.

Should I start threads for these issues?

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/19/12 3:10 PM
The beta issue is a known issue--it fails because theres currently no beta files to download (so nothing to worry about).

The spam is a known issue....unfortunately, I can't think of any good ways to reduce this.  I've actually employed the 'official' way to ping minecraft servers (get the information that you get ingame such as 'players online' and 'motd').  Anytime server-advertising websites get this ping, it also causes this spam (but of course theres is once per hour, not 3 times per click....)

Thus, it'll happen with ALL server types.  Still trying to figure out the best solution.

You can start a thread or put it in here--doesn't matter much where, but thanks for the feedback!
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/19/12 7:59 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Kyos 10/21/12 7:12 AM
Hey Will!

I have been testing the new build for a while and I like the way it works but I noticed that there is no option to delete a server. Is that intended?
I had also problems with the level seed because now you cannot write text inside that field while the game does.

Thank you for that awesome tool.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/21/12 9:55 AM
I have long held that having a delete option was much too risky...but thanks to the new JavaScript based ui, it is much more plausible to add without it being a huge risk, so I may add such a feature soon.

That said, doesn't level seed only need to be set once at server start?  You can certainly change that value when the server is down...has functionality changed that it is a useful practice to change it, started or stopped? Let me know.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Kyos 10/21/12 3:40 PM
I explained myself wrong.
You cannot change the seed while the server is started but in the properties file you can write text as seed and the game (at start) automatically converts it to a numerical value.

On Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:55:25 PM UTC+2, Will wrote:
I have long held that having a delete option was much too risky...but thanks to the new JavaScript based ui, it is much more plausible to add without it being a huge risk, so I may add such a feature soon.

That said, doesn't level seed only need to be set once at server start?  You can certainly change that value when the server is down...has functionality changed that it is a useful practice to change it, started or stopped? Let me know.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/22/12 12:44 PM
After a few days of noticed nothing is showing up in the Backup and Restore tab.

What are the appropriate values for the server.config. hours days, months...?
crontabs archive    none
crontabs backup none
crontabs c10t none
crontabs pigmap none

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/22/12 12:56 PM
The values correspond to the ones in the dropdown in 'Create New Server', which are:

'hourly', 'daily', 'weekly', and 'none'.

The c10t one is outdated (i dont think its been updated in years), and the pigmap is not yet implemented, both of which could be removed if desired.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Darkhand 10/22/12 2:14 PM
This looks fantastic, Will!  Thanks so much for all your work.  I've been quiet lately because my server has been running rock solid as-is, but I think I'm going to backup and give this update a try.

2) I wouldn't think so.  minecraft is single core anyway, and you'd be doing just fine to have mc limited to that half of your system all the same.

Actually the vanilla server has been 2-threaded since v1.1 (chunk saving is done in its own thread now), and Bukkit is properly multithreaded.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/23/12 10:36 AM
New 'System Health' page:

Live streaming, 3 second update of the servers load averages.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Zone 10/23/12 11:58 AM

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:36:14 PM UTC-5, Will wrote:

New 'System Health' page:

Live streaming, 3 second update of the servers load averages.

Wow looking good! . I was just expecting numeric readouts with an average :D
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! az...@jcaks.net 10/24/12 12:56 AM
Is this still in BETA? Since it now has stable the default install can update to it.

I'm having a few issues with a fresh install.

Sometimes when i create a server, the files get made, but not all of them appear. The server won't show up in the webui. Out of three servers, only one got created properly.

When i added a new profile in the WebUI, it added it to the config, but now the profile section in the WebUI is blank. No profiles show up.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/24/12 8:55 AM
It's in "beta" (or at least its not the auto-updating web-ui) because anybody who updates to it still has to set up a profile (or select an existing one) and replace the old server.config file--once it very much can be a 'one-click-and-upgraded' process, the old web-ui will be phased out 100%.

I'd like to try to reproduce your issue--the only way I can though is if you can tell me what options you chose for each of the 'create profile' fields--then I can trace it down to if its a character it did not like or if something else is the culprit. Let me know
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Brictone 10/25/12 4:12 AM

I experienced this same problem when I did a fresh install then updated.  Profiles disappeared after creating a new one.  restarted the server and the profiles appeared again.  After clicking off and coming back they were gone again.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Joe 10/25/12 6:19 AM
Now that 1.4 is out, we are looking to start a new world. I am going to do a fresh install in the next day or two because I originally set it up to use a ram disk. I will let you know how it goes!

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:38:23 PM UTC-4, Will wrote:
[...]

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! marsla...@gmail.com 10/25/12 12:21 PM
I did an total fresh install of mineos at my machine and got it all up and running with the 0.5.x scripts. My testserver runned like a charm

However when i try to import my old servers it gives me an error as seen in the attached picture. After that nothing happens, there is no new server in my list. If there are any error.logs somewhere i could happily post them.

Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/25/12 1:23 PM
There are error logs in   /usr/games/minecraft/mineos.log
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/25/12 1:37 PM
Also, if the error isn't immediately clear from the logs, I'd happily also take a copy of the archived world to work with too, if you prefer.

At any rate, though I will still want to fix the import-function to work with an archive (presumably made with 0.4.x), you can also get it running immediately by extracting the file manually, e.g.,:

cd /home/mc/servers/
mkdir myserver
cd myserver
tar -xvf /home/mc/import/yourfilename.tar.gz .
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! marsla...@gmail.com 10/25/12 2:43 PM
i got lot's of these errors:

2012-10-25 20:22:02,167 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,291 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/survival/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,296 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,388 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/survival/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,394 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,486 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/survival/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:22:01,491 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:34:36,174 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent
2012-10-25 21:37:50,744 (ERROR) server_name: /home/mc/servers/creative/server.config absent

So i guess it will be easiest to extract them manually.

The archives come from a fully functioning 0.4.x machine.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! marsla...@gmail.com 10/25/12 2:45 PM
If you, however still want one of my archives, just tell me so i can send the link to you in an email.
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Kyos 10/25/12 2:54 PM
I'm getting a lot of those:

Server Logs

TimestampTypeEntry
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:50913 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:03INFO/127.0.0.1:50914 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:03INFO/127.0.0.1:50915 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:03INFO/127.0.0.1:50916 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:03INFO/127.0.0.1:50917 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:03INFO/127.0.0.1:50918 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:04
INFO/127.0.0.1:50919 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50920 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50921 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50922 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50923 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50924 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50925 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:06INFO/127.0.0.1:50926 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:07INFO/127.0.0.1:50927 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:09INFO/127.0.0.1:50929 lost connection
2012-10-25 01:53:09INFO/127.0.0.1:50930 lost connection
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/25/12 9:01 PM
Sure, I'll take a look--any real-life cases definitely help get this software along (i havent put the scripts through any stress testing--dont have the opportunity/server/anything)
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Will 10/25/12 9:02 PM
Unfortunately, unavoidable.  I put some details in one of the other posts called like 0.5..0 feedback or such, but the short story is...its unavoidable--sorry!
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! marsla...@gmail.com 10/27/12 10:27 AM
Is it possible to change the seconds to hours or perhaps days in the "system health" tab? Now when i have been running for some days it becomes unreadable in the sense of converting it to hours or days.

Example:

"167734.20 seconds" is my running time. But it doesn't say anything because i can't relate it to a "bigger value" without using my calculator. Just my 2 cents
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! Ryan Karagozian 10/28/12 6:28 PM
Why dont you just make a filter where is doesnt show ANYTHING containing 127.0.0.1 or something in that case? Then all of those would be filtered out and it wouldnt show those lost connections?
Re: 0.5.0 is ready for testing! William R 5/21/13 3:29 AM
I fully support this request as I often use a dev build of craftbukkit when Minecraft has just been updated. And I've had the outdated profile update to the server from its profile folder before, had to put the dev craftbukkit.jar in the profile (usr/games/minecraft) folder and remember to not push update! It would fit my preferences to have profile options as suggested. One issue I have currently with this is when I create a new server, it asks for a profile and I maybe I'm just confused about how the URL updating works but I'll try what I've read here in this post, maybe I'm just confused about creating profiles in general.

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:01:38 PM UTC-6, Will wrote:
[...]

More topics »