Dual Boot Win7 MineOS

Showing 21-42 of 42 messages
Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/23/12 11:25 AM
Hi guys..

I have done so many research and i have tried with every possible way but i'm not able to set a dualboot with win7 and MineOS....

So what i have to do ?  I think that the best way is to install Win7 and then MineOS with Lilo .. I'm correct ?

Cheers
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/23/12 12:00 PM
Though you may have your own, specific reasons, I'm curious: is there a reason you'd want to have a dual-boot environment between a desktop OS and a server OS?  By design server OSes are meant to run full time, and even if you have some times when you know the server won't be played on...wouldn't it just be more of a hassle to have things you want to do on Win7 while youre already in MineOS or wishing your server were up while you had Win7 active?

Rather than dual boot, it seems like a more flexible solution might be to just have MineOS run full-time within a virtualbox instance atop your Win7 install.  This saves you the effort of having to dual boot, while allowing you to use your Win7 machine to play, configure, test, or control your servers.  Of course, this means theres a Win7 footprint on your memory, but it also means you'll never have to switch between how you want that computer used.

That said, yes, exactly the order you said is correct:  Windows first, then linux.  Linux bootloaders are much more robust in handling 'other' OSes.
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/23/12 1:25 PM

I understand what you said... This MineOS will run a privade and small server for a couple of friends... and you have reason when you say that the best solution is to create a VM.. the problem is that the computer where the server will be running is medium-bad performance one and win7 will only be use in rare situations...

So believe me the most flexible and better solution is dualboot...

so what i have to do specifically ? My biggest problem is the instalation and setting up of lilo on mineOS..
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/23/12 1:32 PM
Basically the steps are this:

1) install win7
2) install mineos, letting the mineos installation sequence install LILO over the win7 install.
3) boot into mineos
4) edit /etc/lilo.conf to add win7 (there are tons of google hits on how to point to windows partitions from lilo....its the same for xp,2000,vista,7..or any windows).
5) run lilo to update the bootloader

Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/23/12 1:42 PM
my "fear" is: after i install mineOS (w/ lilo of course) i will be able to boot mineos ?  i won't be forced to enter win7 ? sorry for the noob questions...

other question that i have is what partitions should i create for this... it is a 500 GB HDD; I  want that win7 have 400 GB .. I have found that the swap partition for mineos have to have 2 times the RAM size, it's true ?  the pc has 4 Gb of RAM.. so following this words we got a 400 GB partition for win7; lets say 10 Gb for partition; 90 Gb for primary partition of mineos.. and of course the reserved memory....

Terça-feira, 23 de Outubro de 2012 21:32:48 UTC+1, Will escreveu:
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/24/12 7:43 AM
#
# /etc/lilo.conf: lilo(8) configuration, see lilo.conf(5)
#

boot
=/dev/sda
install
=text
prompt
timeout
=50
lba32
default=Windows7

image
=/boot/vmlinuz
        label
=MineOS
        root
=/dev/sda4
        read
-only
        append
="quiet"

other
=/dev/sda2
     label
=Windows7

# End of file

sda1 -> win reserved memory
sda2 ->win7
sda3 ->swap partition
sda4 ->mineos partition

this is my lilo configuration.. when the pc power on it goes directly to mineos and don't appear anything such a menu ou something like that..

Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/24/12 8:11 AM
Are you running 'lilo' to commit the config file to the bootloader?
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/24/12 9:04 AM
Sorry but I don't understand what you said....  I never have used linux system so I don't knew how to edit the file from the console so I have set permissions to allow root login from SFTP and I have changed it to the configuration that i showed...

Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/24/12 9:11 AM
Changes to /etc/lilo.conf don't happen immediately.  They must be applied by typing 'lilo' as root after changes have been made.

"Then, again from the existing Linux installlation:

As root:
lilo
 * Added YourOtherLinuxDistro
 Added MineOS

More than one line should be returned indicating each of the valid LILO-bootable partitions. If you have more partitions, more entries should be reported. Be sure NOT to restart the computer until all your partitions are 'added' especially looking out for any errors."

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:04:20 AM UTC-7, Rui Freitas wrote:
Sorry but I don't understand what you said....  I never have used linux system so I don't knew how to edit the file from the console so I have set permissions to allow root login from SFTP and I have changed it to the configuration that i showed...

Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/24/12 9:23 AM
sorry, i didn't find that page -.-

on the reboot an error show up:

lilo boot:
?
missing bootmgr

I'm sure that windows partition is "sda2" and also that the windows is a clean and fresh copy of windows7
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/24/12 11:10 AM
Before you rebooted, did you get any errors on the 'lilo' command you missed?
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/24/12 11:20 AM
No, no errors..

after i enter lilo command it gives me the message that you said without errors

Quarta-feira, 24 de Outubro de 2012 19:10:39 UTC+1, Will escreveu:
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/25/12 6:52 AM
helpppp ?!?
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/25/12 9:39 AM

Please Will, I need help for this...

What i have to do ?

Cheers
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/26/12 12:39 PM
???
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/28/12 3:49 PM
someone ?
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/29/12 8:37 AM
On Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:49:24 PM UTC-7, Rui Freitas wrote:
someone ?

Really, I dont know what the answer is.  I have documented and provided what I've done in the past to get Windows to boot from Lilo,  but since I haven't run into the problem you're experiencing, I don't have a better answer.

Right now this is a problem between LILO and Windows, which I think is--for the most part--something that MineOS isn't really responsible for.  In other words, the dozens and hundreds of lilo forum posts, tutorials, and manual pages probably could help diagnose and find a solution for.

What have you tried?
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/29/12 12:25 PM
I add the windows line.. So my lilo conf is this:

lba32
install
=text
boot
=/dev/sda
timeout
=50
prompt

image
=/boot/vmlinuz
        label
=MineOS

        root
=/dev/sda4
        read
-only
        append
="quiet"

other
=/dev/sda2
        label
=Windows7

and after that i enter lilo in consolo in order to execute lilo.. It gave the message :

Added MineOS *
Added Windows7

When I try to boot Windows7 this error comes:

lilo boot:
?
missing bootmgr

I have done a huge search over linux foruns about lilo and lilo configuration in windows and linux dualboot and nothing...

Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Will 10/29/12 12:44 PM
My suspicion is that windows 7 installed its MBR onto /dev/sda, rather than /dev/sda2, where your lilo wants it.

The only guess I can venture is that by using the win7 disc, you can run the recovery options and maybe do this.  I dont know if it'll work and I dont know how to do it any more than explain thats my guess.

I barely see anywhere people's successes at dual booting with lilo + win7, all the successes are GRUB.  That said, I doubt you're doing anythign wrong with lilo and lilo.conf based on its behavior; id bet it all on it being unknown where windows installed the MBR and where it needs to (/how it needs to).
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 10/30/12 8:04 AM
there is any way to exchange mineos bootloader from lilo to grub without destroying the mineos data ?

Segunda-feira, 29 de Outubro de 2012 19:44:30 UTC, Will escreveu:
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Rui Freitas 11/2/12 3:42 PM
??

Terça-feira, 30 de Outubro de 2012 15:04:30 UTC, Rui Freitas escreveu:
Re: Dual Boot Win7 MineOS Valen 11/23/12 11:19 AM
Windows 7 default installation on an empty disk creates a small 100MB System partition required for booting. And a larger partition which will become your C-drive. You state that sda1 is "win reserved memory". Could it be this system partition? Or is it a special partition that you yourself created intended for virtual memory/swapfile/pagingfile. (like linux having a dedicated swap partition).

I suspect if you direct the Windows 7 entry in lilo.conf to /dev/sda1 that it will work.