Question of the day:

Showing 21-68 of 68 messages
Question of the day: Tom Gralewicz 11/15/12 12:44 PM
Does the space need a player piano?

--
Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 12:47 PM
Yes. I may be biased because I have not gotten to play a piano in 7 months and I just really want a piano so...

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Tom Gralewicz <m...@ieee.org> wrote:

Joseph Bozarth
1(262)498-9762

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Jim Rawson 11/15/12 12:50 PM

Yes, we can cut it up for the wood.
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: jason gessner 11/15/12 12:52 PM
jim, shut your mouth!

We need it so we can make it make crazy music!

-jason

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Jim Rawson <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, we can cut it up for the wood.

-jason

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 12:53 PM
Does anyone know how to tune a piano? If we get it and move it it is going to need to be tuned again even if it is in tune now.

Joseph Bozarth
1(262)498-9762

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Pete Prodoehl 11/15/12 12:53 PM

Only if we hack the living shit out of it...  add an Arduino, Raspberry Pi, some 3D prints, laser-cut accessories, etc.

(But then, that's going to be my answer to almost any question.)

Pete
--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Pete Prodoehl 11/15/12 12:55 PM

And I haven't played pool in a few years:

    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/zip/3409550989.html

Pete
--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Royce 11/15/12 12:56 PM
Animatronic pumpkins can sing along with the music.

The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
B. F. Skinner
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 12:57 PM
@Royce: +1

Joseph Bozarth
1(262)498-9762

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Pete Prodoehl 11/15/12 12:57 PM

I can tuna fish, but I can't tune a piano.

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Jim Rawson 11/15/12 12:59 PM

A REO Speedwagon reference! But can pumpkins shoot pool?

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joe Buck 11/15/12 12:59 PM
and MIDI, of course!

-jb

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Vishal 11/15/12 1:01 PM
And lightning...somehow, somewhere

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Pete Prodoehl 11/15/12 1:04 PM

But seriously folks...

We should just have a screen on the wall at Lenox that rotates through the most recent/interesting stuff from the craigs list free category...

We could use a Raspberry Pi, because everything needs a Raspberry Pi in it...

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 1:09 PM
Somehow I feel that that would end with the space overflowing with half broken things.

Joseph Bozarth
1(262)498-9762

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: jason gessner 11/15/12 1:42 PM
how is that different than what the space looks like now?

ZING!

:)

-jason

-jason

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 1:43 PM
This is true
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Kevin 11/15/12 2:01 PM

Back to the point - yes - lets get that piano!

is Toms lift Gate truck available, or will a van suffice?

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Kevin 11/15/12 2:07 PM

I just left a message on her machine.

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Tom Gralewicz 11/15/12 2:07 PM
Its a 3 or 4 person job to get it out of a house.  If its under 4' tall it will fit in the van.
We would need to pick it up in the evening to use the box truck.

Mainly I wanted to see if people thought this would be a good thing to have at the space, or just an oddity taking up room

Quick voting system:  First 6 votes for or against decide, let the voting being!

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling
(414) 380-1716
www.deadcomputers.com
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Kevin 11/15/12 2:08 PM

For.

Sent from my mobile telephone device.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 2:08 PM
for

I say yes. . I will help load.

On Nov 15, 2012 4:07 PM, "Tom Gralewicz" <m...@ieee.org> wrote:
--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Jim Rawson 11/15/12 2:20 PM

Yes. I will help also.

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Matt Wittmann 11/15/12 2:21 PM

Jim your such a gentlemen.

On Nov 15, 2012 4:20 PM, "Jim Rawson" <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes. I will help also.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: jason gessner 11/15/12 2:22 PM
for and i will help load if i am available.

-jason

-jason

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Joseph Bozarth 11/15/12 2:24 PM
I can help too if needed.

Joseph Bozarth
1(262)498-9762

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Jim Rawson 11/15/12 2:27 PM

By the way Matt,  I have a Temperature Sensor - Waterproof (DS18B20) that I want to donate to your oil case.  I will bring it tonight.

Re: Question of the day: Shane T. 11/15/12 2:31 PM
For.  I'll volunteer to load if'n I'm not too busy huntin' wabbits or
something....

On Nov 15, 4:27 pm, Jim Rawson <taxil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way Matt,  I have a Temperature Sensor - Waterproof (DS18B20) that I
> want to donate to your oil case.  I will bring it tonight.
>

>  Temp.jpg
> 39KViewDownload
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: David Buggs 11/15/12 2:31 PM
As much as I like nostalgia, old pianos simply do not stay in tune.  Over time they loose so much moisture the joints loosen up.  That is why so many pianos (even those that were once very expensive) like Steinway Grand pianos end up in the junkyard rather than being refurbished/repaired.

I understand the possible desire to hack the hell out of it, perhaps so one could watch the inner workings.  But I see the novelty of that wearing off rather quickly.

Question, for these type of items who owns them?  I seem to recall the space doesn't own things for liability reasons.

I think the board should develop some sort of policy for this type of thing or the new space will resemble a junkyard much sooner than anyone can imagine.

I vote no.
Re: Question of the day: Shane T. 11/15/12 2:33 PM
Additionally, I have one request...it must NOT play "The Entertainer"
at any point.  Ever.
Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Kevin Crowley 11/15/12 3:13 PM
I can tune a piano or a harp(I have 2) and make minor adjustments to the action of the piano.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Pete Prodoehl 11/15/12 3:15 PM

Player piano, right? I assume we can create our own rolls, and program it to play the theme to Mario Bros or Tetris or something.

Maybe it should be incorporated into the doorbell system.

Pete
Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Vishal 11/15/12 3:19 PM
It would be great if it would also be triggered at the top of the hour...like a clock tower.

Vishal
From: Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:15:29 -0600
Subject: Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day:

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Kevin Crowley 11/15/12 3:20 PM
Rolls are easy to program.  laser cutter almost Ideal for it.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: David Buggs 11/15/12 3:51 PM
Ok, I will say yes if it acts as a doorbell.  I also like Pete's idea of creating custom music rolls, we can cut them on the 40W laser, although we'll need to figure out how to handle a long roll or tape short pieces together...

sincerely,
Joe Buck
Re: Question of the day: Shane T. 11/15/12 10:58 PM
And I, for one, am willing to sign a release that states,
"In the event that the Milwaukee Makerspace gets sued for any damned
thing, the suing party agrees to take the piano on the condition that
it is permanently set to play the Mario Brothers theme at every
quarter hour."
Sincerely,
-Shane T.
Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Joe Buck 11/15/12 11:46 PM

Right. That too. I was too busy thinking about getting sucked into a player piano to put my cause/effect hat on.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: Kevin Crowley 11/16/12 6:54 AM
Someone buy it for a buck and then lease it back.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: David Buggs 11/16/12 7:13 AM
I had a great uncle who was missing an eye because he was playing with the insides of a piano and a string broke slicing him across the face.  I'd be in favor of a black hole, what better way to get rid of junk lying around.

Buggs

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Joe Buck <jtb...@gmail.com> wrote:

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day: photozz 11/16/12 7:15 AM
Automate the piano and use it as the doorbell for the new space. Make it pound out "Hells Bells" or something. Nice part is that it really does not need to be in tune for that.

--

Re: Question of the day: Shane T. 11/16/12 7:21 AM
No, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" ala The Simpsons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PyBWLALFLQ

On Nov 16, 9:15 am, Brent Bublitz <phot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Automate the piano and use it as the doorbell for the new space. Make it
> pound out "Hells Bells" or something. Nice part is that it really does not
> need to be in tune for that.
>

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM, David Buggs <david.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had a great uncle who was missing an eye because he was playing with the
> > insides of a piano and a string broke slicing him across the face.  I'd be
> > in favor of a black hole, what better way to get rid of junk lying around.
>
> > Buggs
>
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Joe Buck <jtb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Right. That too. I was too busy thinking about getting sucked into a
> >> player piano to put my cause/effect hat on.
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Kevin 11/16/12 7:23 AM

" old pianos simply do not stay in tune. Over time they loose so much moisture the joints loosen up."

This just can't be the reason old pianos don't stay in tune.  Piano strings are stretched on a metal frame, so moisture plays no role.

Harpsichord strings are stretched on a wooden frame (the soundboard) - which is susceptible to humidity and temperature changes.  That's why pianos stay in tune much longer than harpsichords do.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Dan Felix 11/16/12 7:30 AM
Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Kevin Crowley 11/16/12 8:09 AM

Kevin, The metal strings under tension do stretch, if unplayed the metal string can crystallize over time, and the pins holding the strings can loosen.  The holes holding the pins can elongate and deform so that sufficient tension can not be applied to the string.  If any of these conditions are minor they can be fixed or compensated for.

--

Re: [MakerSpace] Question of the day: Jim Rawson 11/16/12 8:40 AM

I rest my case.  We should cut it up for the wood so it can't hurt anybody.

More topics »