Tomorrow - Open Night!

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
Tomorrow - Open Night! Sam Harmon 10/8/12 4:52 PM
Open hours tomorrow from 7pm-whenever.

Bring a project if you have one. If not, I'm sure we can find something for folks to work on...

Speaking of projects...
I made some more edits to the 3D Printer spreadsheet, including a list of all the needed printed parts for the Aluminum Mendel, and my opinions as to which parts might be made on the mill (either out of aluminum or HDPE or something):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhLKKG941wqDdDkwM1Zycms1cEV0VTZ4MEo0dmMwSWc

See you then,

Sam
Re: [makersalliance] Tomorrow - Open Night! Joe ODonnell 10/9/12 8:16 AM
I have a couple SMT chips with pads so tiny I cant even see them without a magnifying glass. They were sent to me by our new TI embedded overlords as sample chips for this technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6LoWPAN

 If anyone knows an inexpensive way to make a DIY SMT circuit board and solder the chips to it, we can than experiment with a radio technology that few have yet.

Joe

From: Aaron Lewis <aaronle...@gmail.com>
Subject: [makersalliance] Re: Tomorrow - Open Night!
To: makersa...@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, October 15, 2012, 10:34 PM

See you then,

Sam

--

Re: [makersalliance] Re: Tomorrow - Open Night! Sean Stallbaum 10/15/12 8:31 PM
On a slightly different note, has anyone started working the GPIO / I2C programming capabilities of the new Java for ARM JDK on the Raspberry PI yet?

Sean

--

Re: [makersalliance] Re: Tomorrow - Open Night! Joe ODonnell 10/15/12 9:21 PM
  R-PI GPIO was covered briefly at JavaOne last week, but the write up notes don't describe the details:

https://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/entry/session_report_java_on_the

 Apparently someone also connected an EEG to R-PI and used it to control a motor:

http://via.me/-5kdsgw4
https://twitter.com/speakjava

 There is also a GPIO library for a previous JDK:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals

On Monday, October 8, 2012 7:52:43 PM UTC-4, Sam Harmon wrote:
Open hours tomorrow from 7pm-whenever.

Bring a project if you have one. If not, I'm sure we can find something for folks to work on...

Speaking of projects...
I made some more edits to the 3D Printer spreadsheet, including a list of all the needed printed parts for the Aluminum Mendel, and my opinions as to which parts might be made on the mill (either out of aluminum or HDPE or something):

https://docs.google.com/ spreadsheet/ccc?key= 0AhLKKG941wqDdDkwM1Zycms1cEV0V TZ4MEo0dmMwSWc

See you then,

Sam

Re: [makersalliance] Re: Tomorrow - Open Night! Sean Stallbaum 10/16/12 4:31 AM
Thanks Joe :)

I was actually at JavaOne and saw the presentation, it was pretty cool but really high level.

I will definitely take a look at the links, i was more curious to see if anyone in Cleveland had a R-PI ...

Sean

--

Re: [makersalliance] Re: Tomorrow - Open Night! Aaron Lewis 10/16/12 6:43 PM
Hello. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your kindness and hospitality this evening. I'm very sorry I couldn't stay. I honestly would've loved to help organize, it's kinda my thing(and I mean that). I think my enthusiasm for the potential of the group gave my friends a much more exciting picture than was reasonable to them. I, however, still feel that way. I just felt bad for bailing, but would've felt worse for making my friends stay.

Just to give a lil more detail about myself strictly on related subjects: I went to school for computer networking and received a Cisco certification. I'm very handy with computers of all types especially the hardware aspect. However I am quick at understanding software languages of various types. I'm familiar and use and manipulate Microsoft, Apple, and GNU/Linux based software. I've also been reading/watching vids a lot online on the Arduino language and concepts. But I still know next to nothing about it. Here's my company's website. www.MobileTechIT.com

As far as what I'd like to do: I have a ton of ideas! Most I'm sure have been done. I'd love to build a 3D printer on the quality level of a MakerBot 2 or better. I think it'd be great to make plastic casings and components for the other electronic project ideas I have like the quadcopter. However on a more interesting and larger concept I'd like to make a smart home and control all electrical components from my phone including security and surveillance when not there.

I recognize that I'm a ways off from such things. But, I never stop pushing myself to learn though. Maybe sometime, I'll let you know about all my previous life endeavors, as examples of that.

Take care and hope to see you again soon.

-Aaron