Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G DrGlassDPM 6/29/12 2:12 PM
Any tips for achieving proper scale when exporting an STL from Inventor Fusion?

I designed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25955 to fit the dimensions of an Apple Remote: http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/MC377LL/A?pqid=Q2P44PPTD9DDAY49TCJU44XFDP27C74A4

Problem is, when I import the STL into Replicator G, it's quite small.  Any advice?
Re: [MakerBot] Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G Whosawhatsis 6/29/12 2:30 PM
In RepG, under scale, hit inches -> mm.

To avoid this in the future, make sure you export in mm units.

Attachments:
- ATVR-Holder.stl
- ATVRHolder.f3d

Re: [MakerBot] Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G DrGlassDPM 6/29/12 3:19 PM
Hmm... When I do that, it seems to make the object huge (spilling over the TOM build platform size).  I figured it must be exporting in CM, so I multiplied it's scale in RepG by 10x instead and it looked to be more appropriate.

So I tried to export a generic 50mm x 70mm x 90mm block but it was way to small, once again (this time, I made sure the units were set to MM, rather than CM).  However, it still did the same thing; scaling it to 10x was the appropriate size.

I'd check to see if it's an option I can change in the Inventor Fusion Preferences (OSX), but that menu item doesn't bring up anything.  I suppose that is a bug in the Mac version.
Re: Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G Far McKon 6/29/12 4:05 PM
Hmm.
Many program assume 'inches' or 'mm' for STL files, since STL does not
define how big a 'unit' is in it's file format. Perhaps Inventor
Fusion is assuming the STL unit is in centimeters?

hack on,
- Far
Re: Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G Duncan 8/26/12 2:34 PM
I am having the same problem with the full version of Inventor.  I have tried drawing the part in both mm and inch's but I am still unable to get it to open in Rep G as the proper size.  It sounds like it is a problem with how Inventor exports stl's.

Duncan
Re: [MakerBot] Re: Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G Z LeHericy 8/26/12 3:04 PM
It doesnt matter how you draw it, it matters how you export it.
when you export, click the preferences button at the bottom of the save window n make sure it's set to mm

-Zeno LeHericy

INVENTIONS
Technologies
zinventions.com

Re: [MakerBot] Re: Scale Issue: Inventor Fusion to Replicator G DavidL 8/27/12 10:12 AM
I agree.  I use inventor 2012 (SP2) and it scales perfectly.  You have to set STL to mm then it will import to the right scale.

Cheers