Craft area revamp this weekend

Showing 1-22 of 22 messages
Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/2/14 3:37 AM
Hi all,

There's been a lot of good ideas floating around for a cleanup of the craft area. After some discussions on irc and meetups in the space we now have a plan and some new shelving is on its way!

This weekend starting from Sat early afternoon we'll be taking down the current shelves, painting the wall and sorting through the craft stuff. This will likely continue on Sunday, given we'll finish up before Radio Exam. Any members interested in helping out and adding their ideas to the mix are more than welcome to join :)

The craft corner will be in a bit of disarray next week while we wait for paint to dry and new shelves to arrive. Please be patient, we'll try keep the mess to a minimum. We expect the area to be back in full operation at the end of next week at the latest. Any updates will be posted here.

We don't plan to throw anything away but if we find stuff on the current shelves which arent labelled and doesn't seem useful we'll setup a 3 week bin for them.

Any questions, suggestions or objections fire away! :)

Thanks,
Sarah

Re: [london-hack-space] Craft area revamp this weekend Noko 5/2/14 3:42 AM

That sounds great! I'm in the middle of about 20 million things atm but really want to be able to help. If possible I will come out on Saturday otherwise maybe bring cookies on Sunday....

Re: [london-hack-space] Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/2/14 3:43 AM
Oooh cookies! <3 Thanks, Noko!!
Re: [london-hack-space] Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/2/14 5:29 AM
lol, I just realised the Radio Exam is tonight, not Sat night and the Radio guys have a meetup on Sat afternoon. I'm assuming they'll be in their shed and not in the couch area as per event description so shouldn't be a problem.
Re: [london-hack-space] Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/2/14 5:33 AM
Ok confirmed, no clash.
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend joanna z 5/2/14 7:49 AM
hi
that needs to be done :) be there. what time is 'early afternoon'? around 1pm or later?
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/2/14 8:18 AM
Well Henry's plan is to get there at 12pm, I plan to get there at around 3pm. I think I still have you in my phone Joanna, does your mobile number end in 360? I can sms you when I'm on my way :)

On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:49:11 PM UTC+1, joanna z wrote:
hi
that needs to be done :) be there. what time is 'early afternoon'? around 1pm or later?
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Stephen Lavelle 5/2/14 1:26 PM
Super duper.  If I'm in in time, I'll totes help out.

Will the knitting machine be getting a permanent home?
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend joanna z 5/2/14 1:37 PM
yes that's my number, let me know, i'll be there around same time as you. see you there.
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/4/14 2:26 AM
Yes, if the stars align right then knitting machine should finally have a home by the end of next week :)

Quick update:

Further painting will be done today but that should be all the revamp activity until the new shelves arrive in a few day's time.

We've left room so you can still get to the domestic sewing machines, the industrial sewing machine and the laser cutter. Only one table is covered with stuff, all the rest of the tables are clear. Unfortunately the liquid nitrogen is rendered inaccessible with all the stuff from the shelves piled in front of it.

Thanks to members who were around yesterday for their patients. Especially those who were in the quiet room while we were stripping the door frame off the secret hidden door behind the vending machine!

Huge thanks to all those who gave a helping hand - totes amazeballs :D

And thus the work continues.

On Friday, May 2, 2014 9:37:13 PM UTC+1, joanna z wrote:
yes that's my number, let me know, i'll be there around same time as you. see you there.
Re: [london-hack-space] Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Adrian Godwin 5/4/14 2:32 AM
When you reposition things, could you move the vending machine, please ? In it's previous position it wasn't possible to open the door, as it hit the side of the shelving.

Re: [london-hack-space] Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/4/14 3:04 AM
It has *lots* of space around it now, artag, if you want to come work on it for a bit ;)
Re: [london-hack-space] Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/4/14 3:33 AM
Rofl, I've been told off for my poor spelling. I meant patience, not patients!! :D
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend joanna z 5/6/14 2:09 PM
hi, as discussed i have put another layer of paint on the wall on Sunday. I think there might be one layer more for a perfect finnish but it might be fine as it is. keep me updated if any further action planned

Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/8/14 2:02 AM
Quick update - painting is done and new storage has arrived. All looks in order to assemble tonight if anyone wouldn't mind lending a helping hand :)
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Stephen Lavelle 5/8/14 7:40 AM
I should be about :)
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/8/14 11:08 PM
Update: new shelves are up. All the knitting, sewing and painting stuff conveniently fit into their own boxes. The domestic sewing machines and irons are now out and visible. Everything's been removed from the floor and tables. Further reshuffling and sorting will continue this weekend.

And no, we did not need that door :)
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Ian Henderson 5/9/14 6:05 AM
Awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Why don't you post a photo?

--Ian

Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Sarah Simmonds 5/11/14 11:53 PM
Oh, I thought I attached a photo? Let me try again.

For those who might be concerned, I'm aware the space around the sewing and knitting machines is tight and awkward. I'm working on claiming more space as the twitter conversation alludes to :)
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Tom Sands 5/12/14 1:48 AM
Grats on getting this done. This looks much nicer and more open!
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend Stephen Lavelle 5/12/14 5:19 PM
unblocking two windows was a master stroke! the extra brightness is quite a boon!

big thanks to everyone who helped out with this :)
Re: Craft area revamp this weekend joanna z 5/14/14 2:42 PM
Area looks really amazing :)
More topics »