Kerneloops.org defunct?

Showing 1-40 of 40 messages
Kerneloops.org defunct? Jiri Slaby 6/1/11 4:50 AM
Hi,

does anybody have an idea what's with Kerneloops.org? Or at least some
contacts to admins? The databases seem to be inaccessible. For example
for 2.6.39 I get:
Backtraces reported for kernel 2.6.$version\n"; ?> Kernel Version
miss-match.

The rest doesn't show the bugs from the database too.

thanks,
--
js
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Randy Dunlap 6/1/11 9:30 PM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:45:14 +0200 Jiri Slaby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody have an idea what's with Kerneloops.org? Or at least some
> contacts to admins? The databases seem to be inaccessible. For example
> for 2.6.39 I get:
> Backtraces reported for kernel 2.6.$version\n"; ?> Kernel Version
> miss-match.
>
> The rest doesn't show the bugs from the database too.
>
> thanks,
> --
> js

Arjan,
Did you see this?  Can you answer?


---
~Randy
*** Remember to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist when testing your code ***


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 6/21/11 6:40 AM
Le jeudi 2 juin 2011 06:24:32, Randy Dunlap a �crit :

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:45:14 +0200 Jiri Slaby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anybody have an idea what's with Kerneloops.org? Or at least some
> > contacts to admins? The databases seem to be inaccessible. For example
> > for 2.6.39 I get:
> > Backtraces reported for kernel 2.6.$version\n"; ?> Kernel Version
> > miss-match.
> >
> > The rest doesn't show the bugs from the database too.
> >
> > thanks,
>
> Arjan,
> Did you see this?  Can you answer?

Still down now. Any news ?

Bastien


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 8/26/11 9:40 AM
Ping ?

Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?

Thanks

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Alan Cox 8/26/11 9:40 AM
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:35:05 +0200
Bastien ROUCARIES <roucarie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ping ?
>
> Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?

How long as it been down ? I think we can assume its dead, defunct and
someone needs to create a replacement !


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 8/26/11 9:40 AM
On 8/26/2011 9:35 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:35:05 +0200
> Bastien ROUCARIES<roucarie...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Ping ?
>>
>> Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?
> How long as it been down ? I think we can assume its dead, defunct and
> someone needs to create a replacement !

... or someone can help out fixing it ;-)


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 8/26/11 9:50 AM
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Arjan van de Ven <ar...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/2011 9:35 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:35:05 +0200
>> Bastien ROUCARIES<roucarie...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Ping ?
>>>
>>> Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?
>>
>> How long as it been down ? I think we can assume its dead, defunct and
>> someone needs to create a replacement !
>
> ... or someone can help out fixing it ;-)


I could not achieve to get source code or bug report ;)

Bastien


>
>
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Andi Kleen 8/26/11 11:40 AM
Alan Cox <al...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:35:05 +0200
> Bastien ROUCARIES <roucarie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ping ?
>>
>> Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?
>
> How long as it been down ? I think we can assume its dead, defunct and
> someone needs to create a replacement !

Even when it wasn't down it didn't work already for quite some time
(mostly returning errors on queries)

I guess just needs someone to run it?

It definitely was a useful service.

-Andi

--
a...@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 8/26/11 11:50 AM
On 8/26/2011 11:47 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>
> Is the code available somewhere, or will it need to be rewritten ?

we have the code on the server/etc... if someone signs up to help he
will be on the server of course

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arnaud Lacombe 8/26/11 11:50 AM
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Andi Kleen <an...@firstfloor.org> wrote:
> Alan Cox <al...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:35:05 +0200
>> Bastien ROUCARIES <roucarie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ping ?
>>>
>>> Could we know what is the status for kerneloops ?
>>
>> How long as it been down ? I think we can assume its dead, defunct and
>> someone needs to create a replacement !
>
> Even when it wasn't down it didn't work already for quite some time
> (mostly returning errors on queries)
>
> I guess just needs someone to run it?
>
> It definitely was a useful service.
>
Is the code available somewhere, or will it need to be rewritten ?

Thanks,
 - Arnaud


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? joshh...@gmail.com 8/26/11 4:50 PM

I'd be interested in working on this with someone.

Josh


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? joshh...@gmail.com 9/16/11 12:20 PM
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Josh Hunt <joshh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Arjan van de Ven <ar...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> On 8/26/2011 11:47 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the code available somewhere, or will it need to be rewritten ?
>>
>> we have the code on the server/etc... if someone signs up to help he will be
>> on the server of course
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
>> the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
>> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>
>
> I'd be interested in working on this with someone.
>
> Josh
>
Has someone stepped up to work on this? If not, I'd still be interested.

--
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Jiri Slaby 9/28/11 1:40 PM
On 08/26/2011 08:48 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 8/26/2011 11:47 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>>
>> Is the code available somewhere, or will it need to be rewritten ?
>
> we have the code on the server/etc... if someone signs up to help he
> will be on the server of course

It looks like there are some volunteers. Did you have a chance to talk
to each other and make any progress?

If not, may we have at least a backup of the database published, please?
There are very valuable data you collected over time and I'm sure there
are more people than me who would appreciate that.

thanks,
--
js
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? joshh...@gmail.com 9/28/11 2:00 PM
Apparently kerneoops.org is hosted by kernel.org so there will be no
progress until that fiasco is resolved. I'm still up for working on it
if and when the site is back online.

--
Josh
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 10/12/11 5:40 AM
Any news now that the fiasco is going to be resolved.

Bastien
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? bastien ROUCARIES 12/21/11 4:30 AM
Le Wednesday 12 October 2011 14:35:44, Bastien ROUCARIES a écrit :
> Any news now that the fiasco is going to be resolved.
>
> Bastien
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Josh Hunt <joshh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Jiri Slaby <jiri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> On 08/26/2011 08:48 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >>> On 8/26/2011 11:47 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> >>>> Is the code available somewhere, or will it need to be rewritten ?
> >>>
> >>> we have the code on the server/etc... if someone signs up to help he
> >>> will be on the server of course
> >>
> >> It looks like there are some volunteers. Did you have a chance to talk
> >> to each other and make any progress?
> >>
> >> If not, may we have at least a backup of the database published, please?
> >> There are very valuable data you collected over time and I'm sure there
> >> are more people than me who would appreciate that.

Any news of this ?

Can we access to code ? (public git)

Bastien
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 1/18/12 10:30 AM
Ping**3
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 1/31/12 2:00 AM
Ping**4

Any news of this ?

Can we access to code ? (public git)

Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Bastien ROUCARIES 2/14/12 10:20 AM
ping**5
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Alan Cox 2/14/12 12:00 PM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:17:35 +0100
Bastien ROUCARIES <roucarie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ping**5

Please take me off this list. I've no idea what is going on with
kerneloops and its clearly dead. I'd suggest starting from scratch
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 2/14/12 1:50 PM
On 2/14/2012 10:17 AM, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> ping**5
>
so.. with Fedora not really submitting oopses anymore, and the box
wiped/down from kernel.org...  what's the point still ??
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Andi Kleen 2/14/12 2:00 PM
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:45:25PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 2/14/2012 10:17 AM, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> > ping**5
> >
> so.. with Fedora not really submitting oopses anymore, and the box
> wiped/down from kernel.org...  what's the point still ??

Just scanning the mailing lists would be good.

But I assume Fedora may be willing to fix their submission?

-Andi

--
a...@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Ted Ts'o 2/14/12 2:20 PM
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:45:25PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On 2/14/2012 10:17 AM, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> > > ping**5
> > >
> > so.. with Fedora not really submitting oopses anymore, and the box
> > wiped/down from kernel.org...  what's the point still ??
>
> Just scanning the mailing lists would be good.
>
> But I assume Fedora may be willing to fix their submission?

I hear Fedora just got a new project leader; maybe it's time to
approach them again?

                                        - Ted
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Dave Jones 2/14/12 3:20 PM
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 05:12:40PM -0500, Ted Ts'o wrote:
 > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
 > > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:45:25PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > > > On 2/14/2012 10:17 AM, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
 > > > > ping**5
 > > > >
 > > > so.. with Fedora not really submitting oopses anymore, and the box
 > > > wiped/down from kernel.org...  what's the point still ??
 > >
 > > Just scanning the mailing lists would be good.
 > >
 > > But I assume Fedora may be willing to fix their submission?
 >
 > I hear Fedora just got a new project leader; maybe it's time to
 > approach them again?

$ yum info libreport-plugin-kerneloops
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * fedora: ftp.cse.buffalo.edu
 * rpmfusion-free: mirror.hiwaay.net
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.hiwaay.net
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.hiwaay.net
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.hiwaay.net
 * updates: mirror.steadfast.net
 * updates-testing: mirror.steadfast.net
Installed Packages
Name        : libreport-plugin-kerneloops
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 2.0.8
Release     : 4.fc16
Size        : 15 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : updates
Summary     : libreport's kerneloops reporter plugin
URL         : https://fedorahosted.org/abrt/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package contains plugin which sends kernel crash information to specified
            : server, usually to kerneloops.org.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Guenter Roeck 6/25/12 11:10 AM
Did anyone ever get access to the kerneloops code and/or is working on a
replacement ?

I see that http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/submitoops.php appears to
accept kerneloops reports, http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/ reports
"www.kerneloops.org, coming soon", and a comment in
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800302 suggests that Redhat may be
in the process of taking over kerneloops.org.

Thanks,
Guenter
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 6/25/12 11:20 AM
On 6/25/2012 11:05 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:

>
> Did anyone ever get access to the kerneloops code and/or is working on a
> replacement ?
>
> I see that http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/submitoops.php appears to
> accept kerneloops reports, http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/ reports
> "www.kerneloops.org, coming soon", and a comment in
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800302 suggests that Redhat may be
> in the process of taking over kerneloops.org.

I hope RH is willing to invest the time in this; I do not have access to
the latest code anymore (it lived on the kernel.org servers prior to the
incident)



--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Guenter Roeck 6/25/12 12:20 PM
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:11:12AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 6/25/2012 11:05 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
> >
> > Did anyone ever get access to the kerneloops code and/or is working on a
> > replacement ?
> >
> > I see that http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/submitoops.php appears to
> > accept kerneloops reports, http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/ reports
> > "www.kerneloops.org, coming soon", and a comment in
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800302 suggests that Redhat may be
> > in the process of taking over kerneloops.org.
>
> I hope RH is willing to invest the time in this; I do not have access to
> the latest code anymore (it lived on the kernel.org servers prior to the
> incident)
>
Maybe we can get some feedback from RH. Anton, can you shed some light about
what is happening, if anything ?

Thanks,
Guenter
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 6/26/12 12:20 AM
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:12:33PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:11:12AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On 6/25/2012 11:05 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > Did anyone ever get access to the kerneloops code and/or is working on a
> > > replacement ?
> > > I see that http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/submitoops.php appears to
> > > accept kerneloops reports, http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/ reports
> > > "www.kerneloops.org, coming soon", and a comment in
> > > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800302 suggests that Redhat may be
> > > in the process of taking over kerneloops.org.
> > I hope RH is willing to invest the time in this; I do not have access to
> > the latest code anymore (it lived on the kernel.org servers prior to the
> > incident)
> Maybe we can get some feedback from RH. Anton, can you shed some light about
> what is happening, if anything ?

  I can't promise, but there will be a person in Red Hat, who will be
working on 'kerneloops.org' starting from middle of next month. I will
update you in a couple weeks whether it happened or not.
  I created kerneloops.descope.org with submitoops.php and latest.php
in order to not loose the oopses reports. Also asked Arjan to change the
IP of kerneloops.org's DNS record so that it point to kerneloops.descope.org,
at least temporary, but it didn't happen yet. :(
  All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
mentioned before, might help.

Anton.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 6/26/12 6:20 AM
On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
>   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> mentioned before, might help.

this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
(this was well before the kernel.org issues)
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Arjan van de Ven 6/26/12 6:20 AM
On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
>  I created kerneloops.descope.org with submitoops.php and latest.php
> in order to not loose the oopses reports. Also asked Arjan to change the
> IP of kerneloops.org's DNS record so that it point to

I've seen no such request.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Guenter Roeck 6/26/12 7:30 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > mentioned before, might help.
>
> this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
>
Is this still an issue ? I thought Anton's change was made to the Fedora
package, though I may be wrong. Either case, Anton might have some influence at
Fedora.

Guenter
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 6/26/12 7:30 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > mentioned before, might help.
> this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
  I was a bit afraid that Fedora was the major contributor. Also I'm
not quite sure why Fedora stopped to submitting the reports, don't
remember we've changed anything in that respect.

thanks,
-
Anton.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Guenter Roeck 6/26/12 7:40 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:25:58PM +0200, Anton Arapov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> > >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > > mentioned before, might help.
> > this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> > kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> > (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
>   I was a bit afraid that Fedora was the major contributor. Also I'm
> not quite sure why Fedora stopped to submitting the reports, don't
> remember we've changed anything in that respect.
>
Guess our replies overlapped. If that is in fact the case, can you help to get
it addressed ?

Guenter
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 6/26/12 7:40 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:29:49AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> > >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > > mentioned before, might help.
> >
> > this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> > kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> > (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
> Is this still an issue ? I thought Anton's change was made to the Fedora
> package, though I may be wrong. Either case, Anton might have some influence at
> Fedora.

  My understanding was - kerneloops.org just shutted down gradually,
it was slow at the beginning and off now. I didn't expect nor know
Fedora stopped reporting.
  We are also one step behind putting 'abrt-dump-oops' binary into
kexec-tools to get even more oopses. :)

Anton.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 6/26/12 7:40 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:15:59AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> >  I created kerneloops.descope.org with submitoops.php and latest.php
> > in order to not loose the oopses reports. Also asked Arjan to change the
> > IP of kerneloops.org's DNS record so that it point to
> I've seen no such request.

  I used your email at infradead.org ... seems that was the problem.
So, could you update DNS record of *.kerneloops.org to point to 23.20.153.183.

Thank you,
Anton.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 6/26/12 7:50 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:32:32AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:25:58PM +0200, Anton Arapov wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > > On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> > > >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > > > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > > > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > > > mentioned before, might help.
> > > this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> > > kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> > > (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
> >   I was a bit afraid that Fedora was the major contributor. Also I'm
> > not quite sure why Fedora stopped to submitting the reports, don't
> > remember we've changed anything in that respect.
> Guess our replies overlapped. If that is in fact the case, can you help to get
> it addressed ?
  Absolutely.
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Guenter Roeck 6/26/12 9:30 AM
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:31:35PM +0200, Anton Arapov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:29:49AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:16:54AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > > On 6/26/2012 12:14 AM, Anton Arapov wrote:
> > > >   All in all, it seems to be optimistic so far, and I hope we will
> > > > have some web gui this summer. Although we don't have much oopses
> > > > reported yet and changing the ip address of kerneloops.org, as
> > > > mentioned before, might help.
> > >
> > > this is the problem indeed. When Fedora stopped submitting oopses to
> > > kerneloops.org, the project became suddenly of much much less value.
> > > (this was well before the kernel.org issues)
> > Is this still an issue ? I thought Anton's change was made to the Fedora
> > package, though I may be wrong. Either case, Anton might have some influence at
> > Fedora.
>
>   My understanding was - kerneloops.org just shutted down gradually,
> it was slow at the beginning and off now. I didn't expect nor know
> Fedora stopped reporting.

Maybe it was a combination of factors. I have seen complaints from people that
kerneloops reports did not show up on kerneloops.org, and complaints that fedora
stopped submitting requests. Maybe the system was overloaded at times, or maybe
some default was changed. I noticed that Ubuntu comes with the kerneloops
daemon installed, but that it is disabled by default. Not really helpful, since
many typical Ubuntu user will not even know that it exists in the first place.
Maybe something similar happened with Fedora ?

Either case, I think it would be great to get it working again, and then work
with the main distributions to get reports submitted.

Thanks,

Guenter
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 7/16/12 11:50 PM
On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 09:14 +0200, Anton Arapov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:12:33PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:11:12AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > > On 6/25/2012 11:05 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > > Did anyone ever get access to the kerneloops code and/or is working on a
> > > > replacement ?
> > > > I see that http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/submitoops.php appears to
> > > > accept kerneloops reports, http://kerneloops-descope.rhcloud.com/ reports
> > > > "www.kerneloops.org, coming soon", and a comment in
> > > > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800302 suggests that Redhat may be
> > > > in the process of taking over kerneloops.org.
> > > I hope RH is willing to invest the time in this; I do not have access to
> > > the latest code anymore (it lived on the kernel.org servers prior to the
> > > incident)
> > Maybe we can get some feedback from RH. Anton, can you shed some light about
> > what is happening, if anything ?
>
>   I can't promise, but there will be a person in Red Hat, who will be
> working on 'kerneloops.org' starting from middle of next month. I will
> update you in a couple weeks whether it happened or not.

  Unfortunately, still no person to work on project. And there are only
2- reports a month in average. :(
  The reporting tool(Abrt) complicated the reporting and kerneloops.org
DNS still doesn't associated with the required ip address. ( Arjan? )
  - Abrt folks pushed changes into Fedora 17 that makes possible to set
a checkbox("don't ask me again, just report") and Abrt will send reports
without asking.
  - Starting from the Fedora 18 kernel oopses reporting will be
configured to send reports unconditionally, straight to the
kerneloops.org as it did the original tool.
(this, hopefully, will fix the volume of the oopses we are getting.)
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Alan Cox 7/17/12 3:00 AM
>   The reporting tool(Abrt) complicated the reporting and kerneloops.org
> DNS still doesn't associated with the required ip address. ( Arjan? )

Anton - just talk to the kernel.org maintainers and get oops.kernel.org
set up somewhere and be done with it.

>   - Starting from the Fedora 18 kernel oopses reporting will be
> configured to send reports unconditionally, straight to the
> kerneloops.org as it did the original tool.
> (this, hopefully, will fix the volume of the oopses we are getting.)

And probably the volume of complaints about spyware. It should be asking
permission even if "until further notice" is a choice.

For some environments this is a major issue. Consider people with ARM or
x86 prototype machines who are contractually forbidden from revealing a
lot of data about the systems.

Alan
Re: Kerneloops.org defunct? Anton Arapov 7/17/12 4:00 AM
On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 11:02 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> >   The reporting tool(Abrt) complicated the reporting and kerneloops.org
> > DNS still doesn't associated with the required ip address. ( Arjan? )
> Anton - just talk to the kernel.org maintainers and get oops.kernel.org
> set up somewhere and be done with it.

I like the idea of oops.kernel.org name. I will speak to the folks. I
wanted old dns in order to get(possibly) the reports from the clients
that have old name in configs.

> >   - Starting from the Fedora 18 kernel oopses reporting will be
> > configured to send reports unconditionally, straight to the
> > kerneloops.org as it did the original tool.
> > (this, hopefully, will fix the volume of the oopses we are getting.)
> And probably the volume of complaints about spyware. It should be asking
> permission even if "until further notice" is a choice.
Absolutely.

> For some environments this is a major issue. Consider people with ARM or
> x86 prototype machines who are contractually forbidden from revealing a
> lot of data about the systems.
*nod*

thanks!
Anton.
More topics »