Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework.

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. CharlieChen 12/29/11 2:08 AM

Hi dpp,

I am a developer from China. Almost every liftweb fans from China are
now facing the following problem:

The network condition in China is really complicate, there is great
fire wall, and the speed is relatively slow, and the average network
bandwidth is only 1.8mbps. So if we want to use liftweb framework for
the first time on a new machine, we sometimes need to wait hours for
sbt to download relating packages.

Today, I introduced liftweb framework to one of my friends in
Guangdong province. However, he spent almost 6 hours to download
packages by sbt. I think this could be a reason preventing developers
from using liftweb framework.

So I hope liftweb team will add one more way which will include
default packages in distribution. This will provide developers
choices. For developers who have good network condition, they can
choose default sbt way. For developers who are in poor network
environment, they can choose the new way.

Regards,
charlie chen

Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Franz Bettag 12/29/11 2:59 AM
Wow, this sounds really bad.

But i am guessing you're not getting nearly close to 1.8mbps on non-
China-based mirrors, right?

I don't think its the packaging, but i could imagine that a china-
based MVN/ivy repo could speed up things a lot.
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. CharlieChen 12/29/11 4:36 AM

In China, there is some downloading software to speed up the
downloading process. But they can not help to speed up sbt. However,
If I use the tool, such as Thunder,  to download Play! framework as a
whole pack, It just take about 15 minutes. So , I think in poor
network environment, provide default packages within the distribution
would be better.
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Franz Bettag 12/29/11 7:18 AM
Ah ok i see. hm, i could clean up my ivy cache and make you a fresh
one, gimme an hour or two :)
Re: [Lift] Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. David Pollak 12/29/11 4:05 PM
You do not need to use sbt or Maven to build Lift apps.  You can build them using Ant or any other technology you want.

If you do use sbt or Maven to build Lift apps, you can set up a Maven repository in China that mirrors either Maven Central http://search.maven.org/ or Scala-tools.org or both.

Code: http://github.com/lift

Visi.Pro, Cloud Computing for the Rest of Us http://visi.pro

Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Franz Bettag 12/29/11 5:49 PM
I've prepared you a tarball of my freshly pulled .ivy2, you should
find everything for basic liftweb usage. i didn't really care much for
all the licenses of the 49 jars :s so please don't sue me. maybe put
that somewhere in .cn and then i can remove it :)

http://evil-packet.org/ivy2.tbz2

cheers

On Dec 29, 1:36 pm, CharlieChen <xhcss...@gmail.com> wrote:
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Franz Bettag 12/29/11 6:14 PM
i think you got a corrupted file (looking at log and timestamp),
please try again. (sorry for my incompetence, it's 3 am) :)
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. CharlieChen 12/30/11 5:36 AM
Thanks Franz,

I will try it, thanks very much.
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Kevin 12/30/11 2:56 PM
for completeness, consider to use [1] as I hear they can Youtube and
Skype in China.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
Re: Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. Franz Bettag 12/30/11 3:19 PM
that won't bump his 1.8mbps @ home i guess ;)
Re: [Lift] Hi, dpp, we need your help in the way of distributing liftweb framework. fmpwizard 12/31/11 10:56 PM
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:08 AM, CharlieChen <xhcs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi dpp,
>
> I am a developer from China. Almost every liftweb fans from China are
> now facing the following problem:

Another option, in case you need additional jars not included in the
.ivy2 tar file you got, you can manually get the url for the
dependencies you need. for example, let's say you need lift-json, you
can go here:

http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases/
from there you can navigate to the correct jar file, and then you can
use your program to download the file faster than using sbt.
for the lift-json example, on your sbt file you would see:

"net.liftweb" %% "lift-json" % "2.4-RC1" % "compile",

so from
http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases/
you add
net/liftweb/lift-json_<scala version>/2.4-RC1/ and the jar will be there

(finale url is:
http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases/net/liftweb/lift-json_2.9.1/2.4-RC1/
)
hope that helps.