Lean Startup Exercises?

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
Lean Startup Exercises? David Bland 5/7/12 9:30 AM
I find that teaching people new concepts in which they have a "hands on" activity seems to resonate better than whiteboarding or slides. For example, when I teach folks Kanban I typically do it with a combination of the history of it and the principles along with a Kanban Pizza game.

What games or exercises do you find helpful with teaching people about Lean Startup?
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? paul.orlando 5/7/12 9:49 AM
Hi David,

I've found good results from a couple of activities when I teach
founders Lean / Customer Development in a multi-part course I've been
running for founders. One activity is simply to ask them to "get out
of the building" for Customer Discovery meetings and then come back to
the group to share their results. Nothing motivates like not wanting
to be the only one in the group who didn't do the activity. Another
one is for me to give the founders a data set of (anonymized) user
activity and ask them to analyze what's going on. Then we talk it
through and I show them how I analyzed the data.

While those might be pretty basic, I've been surprised at how few
people actually do these in real life. Day-to-day urgencies get in the
way of the important all too often.

Paul
--
http://about.me/porlando | http://twitter.com/porlando
> --
> Guidelines: http://LeanStartupCircle.com/guidelines
Re: Lean Startup Exercises? David Bland 5/7/12 10:00 AM
I could potentially weave in "get out of the building" exercises into my training.

Currently it consists of a firehose of "agile, lean, kanban, lean startup, customer development, business model generation, user personas, empathy maps and user experience maps" along with whatever else I can think of that applies to their context.

It is incredibly fun, but I'm always looking for ways to make it more hands on.

-David

On Monday, May 7, 2012 9:30:17 AM UTC-7, David Bland wrote:
I find that teaching people new concepts in which they have a "hands on" activity seems to resonate better than whiteboarding or slides. For example, when I teach folks Kanban I typically do it with a combination of the history of it and the principles along with a Kanban Pizza game.

What games or exercises do you find helpful with teaching people about Lean Startup?
Re: [lsc] Re: Lean Startup Exercises? Paul Orlando 5/7/12 10:02 AM
What's the format of your training? Are there gaps of days or weeks
between sessions so that the participants have time to go out and do
the activities?
> --
> Guidelines: http://LeanStartupCircle.com/guidelines

Paul Orlando
Co-founder & CEO, Chatfe
Chatfe.com

http://about.me/porlando
Re: [lsc] Re: Lean Startup Exercises? Bruno Soares 5/7/12 10:57 AM
You could create an exercise like that:
Divide the class in many teams.
Ask them to think about a new product and after that ask them to imagine and write down the "perfect delivery" about that new product.
Then, tell them to realize that they don't have time enough (timing is everything) to develop that "perfect" product an based on MVP they have to create a prototype "now" to sell next day.
After every group finish, they can show the products to everyone, and listen the feedback about theirs product and they can improve it again.

This idea of course can be enhanced, but I think that something like this is very nice and stimulate exercise.

2012/5/7 Paul Orlando <pa...@chatfe.com>

--
Bruno M. Soares
Linux Professional Institute Certified

Currently I'm baking training into my coaching engagements. These aren't "get out of the building" exercises... yet.
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? William Pietri 5/8/12 7:40 AM
On 05/07/2012 09:30 AM, David Bland wrote:
> I find that teaching people new concepts in which they have a "hands
> on" activity seems to resonate better than whiteboarding or slides.
> For example, when I teach folks Kanban I typically do it with a
> combination of the history of it and the principles along with a
> Kanban Pizza game.

 From mentoring at the Lean Startup Machine events, I think some of the
key insights for participants are around the value of failing fast, the
danger of meetings where you take your BS seriously, the value of
talking directly with potential customers, and the importance of
iteration. I'm not sure how to compress that in a shorter exercise than
a weekend, but here's what happened at one I attended:

A team spent a number of hours discussing their product. What it would
do, how to build it, who the audience was, et cetera.  It would be
software that would help serious photographers by automatically
organizing all the photos they take.

I and other mentors eventually prodded them into getting out of the
building, so they went down to Fisherman's Wharf. To get subjects, they
offer to take the picture for a group of tourists and then ask them a
few questions. They quickly discovered that serious photographers didn't
want help with that. Their genius product was dead.

However, they discovered that one sort of person that did need help
organizing photos was the new mom. She was taking a lot of photos that
she wanted to share, but had no time. Especially not time to sit down at
a computer. So they went back to the office and put together mockups of
an iPad app that would let her sort, manage, and share photos in a way
that could be done in the little bits of random free time she had.

After another rev of the mockups and some more interviews, they put up a
landing page and started A/B testing price points. By the end of the
weekend they had a reasonable number of commitments to purchase.

This had such resonance for the participants that one of them, after a
few weeks of trying to get his company to shift their approach,
eventually quit and started producing apps on his own.

I think the essential element here is having to test their pre-formed
notions against reality, partly failing, and then iterating to success.
I can't think of a way to compress that into an hour or two, but I think
it should be possible.

William
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? Patrick Smith 5/10/12 4:07 AM
Hey David,

I'd highly recommend that you attend a Lean Startup Machine event.

I've mentored at them here in DC; it's 2+ days of intense hands-on "out of the buildingness."

I'm sure it would spark lots of ideas for you to incorporate into coaching and training.

best,
P.
___________________________
Patrick Smith
http://twitter.com/ptrcksmth
http://www.patricksmith.org

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:40:25 AM UTC-4, William Pietri wrote:
From mentoring at the Lean Startup Machine events...
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? David Bland 5/10/12 1:13 PM
Thanks Patrick. Trevor invited me out but I was in the process of moving from DC -> SF.

I'll see if I can help out.

I'm doing these in the context of large org transformations, but I feel these teams could also benefit from getting out of the building :)

-David
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? @adamberk 5/10/12 2:22 PM
Forcing people to 1) define a specific problem hypothesis 2) confront 5 customers face to face for whom "they think" they are solving that specific problem - are the most counter intuitively difficult things to get people to do... seems so easy yet people (including myself) struggle with it immensely

David we would love to have you at an event!
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? John Sechrest 5/12/12 7:53 AM
If you can, do the Kanban with yellow sticky notes.

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Rob <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very interesting thread, really enjoyed reading it all. We are having some internal group workshops over the next couple of weeks and will try some of the ideas mentioned. One other question, when it comes to managing it all you mention Kanban quite a lot - would you recommend that over something like Asana or in conjunction with a project management tool like Asana?

--
John Sechrest          .
                                       .

Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? YvesHanoulle 5/12/12 8:51 AM
+1
Even If you want to use à tool, start with post its to find your proces.
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? David Bland 5/12/12 2:22 PM
Most of my exercises are hands on with stickies as well. The Business Model Canvas exercise we first draw one up on paper and tell a story using stickies. I try to stay away from slides and tools as much as I can.

For the Kanban board, I have the team articulate what their process is now and lay it out from left to right on the wall on sticky notes. Then I move the notes up, draw columns and go from there.
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? William Pietri 5/12/12 4:27 PM
On 05/12/2012 12:50 AM, Rob wrote:
> Very interesting thread, really enjoyed reading it all. We are having some internal group workshops over the next couple of weeks and will try some of the ideas mentioned. One other question, when it comes to managing it all you mention Kanban quite a lot - would you recommend that over something like Asana or in conjunction with a project management tool like Asana?

Like others, I would strongly recommend you try something physical
first. You can see our giant wall of cards here:

http://needfeed.com/about/working

I think it's far superior to any digital system I've used. And a number
of its supposed flaws are actually benefits. E.g., the limited amount of
space on the wall means we have to consciously prune cards from time to
time. That's much better than a giant database mainly filled with things
that nobody cares about anymore. The limited size of the cards means
that people are forced to talk whenever picking up a new story; there's
just not enough information to think you totally understand it. And the
fact that it's in one location means that you know whenever somebody
does something with the board, often sparking important conversations.

William
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? Juan Bernabó 5/12/12 8:59 PM
David,

I attended to the LSM in SF last year and since then I did several lean startup workshops inside big corps were I was doing agile/lean/kanban transformations.

What we did was a gamified workshop were we joined the business and it guys, first they had an introduction to several concepts on lean startup and customer development, they had to create individually a CPS hipotesis, and then each one pitched to the group their ideia, people voted for the ideias they liked more then people  joined the guys with the more in teams of 3 to 5 guys and the goal was at the end of the workshop we had to have launched at least an MVP (landing page), but each team had to "get out of the building" to validate their CPS.

The goal was to break their paradigm of long business planning cycles and how much testing they could do in a couple of days, it worked great.

Juan.
Re: [lsc] Lean Startup Exercises? David Bland 7/17/12 1:22 PM
Paul,

Do you have any examples of the anonymized data you could share?

-David