public-screen project

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
public-screen project Chris 1/20/12 8:51 AM
Hi guys

In order to get another leagevine-based project off the ground, I want
to share with you the ideas I had so far about the public-screen
project. First of all, I would like to warn you that most of the things
I have thought about were derived with our concrete tournament, the
Windmill Windup in Amsterdam, in mind. Nevertheless, I think that most
things will apply to any other (smaller) tournament as well.

My goal is to have a (possibly preliminary) version of this software
ready for use at this year's edition of Windmill Windup which will take
place June 15-17.

So far, I've set up a Google document with the project description:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1093fKXprzYwn-AcHAF1GvfDs1Y3Bxg4fzIQgUccM4IU/edit
Feel free to have a look and make comments. The document merely contains
what kind of functionality I would like to have, there are no wireframes
yet.

I've never done this kind of project before and I'm not an expert in any
of this. So I'm happy if somebody else wants to take the lead in this
project, please let us know if you're interested.

There has been no decision about the technology stack either, but I can
imagine to use for example the django-framework to serve as database
back-end and then leave it to the designers to use whatever they want to
use for the front-end. It might be fun to have multiple different
designs serving the same content.

Cheers from Amsterdam!
Chris

Re: [leaguevine-developers] public-screen project Mark Liu 1/20/12 9:12 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the description. I have a much better picture of how this is going to work now.

For the interactive mode, how do you envision people choosing which screen they want to see? Will you have a mouse on a table next to the screen?

Do you see this as being a downloadable executable that TDs can install on their computer and run in full screen mode? Or do you see this as a hosted service where people visit a website and maximize their browser?

Re: [leaguevine-developers] public-screen project Chris 1/20/12 12:00 PM
> Very cool. Thanks for the description. I have a much better picture of
> how this is going to work now.
>
> For the interactive mode, how do you envision people choosing which
> screen they want to see? Will you have a mouse on a table next to the
> screen?
I don't really know, I guess that would be an option. Maybe one could
even "log into" the screen with a smartphone and choose what to display?

> Do you see this as being a downloadable executable that TDs can install
> on their computer and run in full screen mode? Or do you see this as a
> hosted service where people visit a website and maximize their browser?
At Windmill, we will probably run a local webserver and display the
screens in a full-screen browser from a computer or laptop that is
connected via the wireless network. So, I rather see it as a website
which can be served locally, but possibly also from somewhere else.

Cheers,
Chris

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Christian Schaffner <hue...@gmail.com
>     <mailto:leaguevine...@googlegroups.com>.

>     To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>     leaguevine-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

>     For more options, visit this group at
>     http://groups.google.com/group/leaguevine-developers?hl=en.

Re: [leaguevine-developers] public-screen project Mark Liu 1/20/12 3:16 PM
> For the interactive mode, how do you envision people choosing which
> screen they want to see? Will you have a mouse on a table next to the
> screen?
I don't really know, I guess that would be an option. Maybe one could
even "log into" the screen with a smartphone and choose what to display?

Interesting. I hadn't thought about building a "remote control" for it. Seems like a lot of work for not a huge benefit over a wireless mouse, but I can seen it being a fun thing to build.

> Do you see this as being a downloadable executable that TDs can install
> on their computer and run in full screen mode? Or do you see this as a
> hosted service where people visit a website and maximize their browser?
At Windmill, we will probably run a local webserver and display the
screens in a full-screen browser from a computer or laptop that is
connected via the wireless network. So, I rather see it as a website
which can be served locally, but possibly also from somewhere else.

I think a local webserver would be difficult for other TDs to use. The idea of someone hosting this is certainly possible, and would make it very easy to set up for TDs. Users could also download something like Prism or Fluid to make the app feel more native and take up the full screen without the standard browser bar at the top.
Re: [leaguevine-developers] public-screen project Chris 1/21/12 8:44 AM
I don't think you guys saw this message from Koop...