Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Kevin 7/21/11 6:14 PM
Many of the people upgrading to 1.7 have 'Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler'.  Is this a coincidence or could Ownership issues be the cause of many problems ?
Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Samuel Moffatt 7/21/11 7:26 PM
Apache 2 handler would mean the system is running under the Apache
users context which on a shared hosting environment is usually not the
end users context. This will cause ownership issues when Joomla!
(running within Apache's context) tries to write to files and folders
owned by another user that prevents the Apache user from writing those
files. So yes this would be an ownership issue as a root problem.

Unfortunately this configuration is rather common and is why there is
an FTP layer in place so that they can log in as themselves to manage
everything. It is also on shared hosting a possible security
vulnerability depending on what other safeguards they have in place.

Cheers,

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Kevin 7/21/11 8:00 PM
Thank you Sam, yes I'm aware of the the Ownership issue and how Apache Owning the files creates issues with installing extensions.  (Web Server to PHP interface: cgi  on my shared server ).  But I wondered if Ownership of the files could be an issue for automatic updates as it can be for installing extensions ?
Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler orw...@gmail.com 7/21/11 8:11 PM
Having Apache as the owner shouldn't cause issues during the upgrade with the FTP Layer being used (it's what I have to do currently on the server at work).

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomlabugsquad/-/4E-GwdCVibUJ.

Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Samuel Moffatt 7/22/11 7:28 AM
The problem is that people don't necessarily realise that they need
FTP layer and don't have it enabled. To answer the question, yes it
will cause the exact same problems as extension installation. A real
PITA. If it is set up properly it shouldn't be a problem though it may
not be setup properly to begin with which is where we find ourselves.

Cheers,

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Kevin 7/22/11 8:20 AM
Thank you Sam and orw

That answers the question.  I must say I am surprised at the number of people who have dedicated Hosting but know less than me about Ownership.  Yes always a PITA that the server not set up properly.  At least I can be sure not to waste my time chasing my tail looking for a problem when it's a server configuration causing hiccups.

>> --

Re: Web Server to PHP interface is: apache2handler Leo Lammerink 7/22/11 9:06 AM
No descent hosting company uses these days Apache2 handlers with cgi/suphp and suhosin, mod_securiy available to mention a few. Proper compiling a cPanel based server takes max 15 minutes with proper security settings. What is more important are the PHP-Tweaks and a full set of darn good Settings.....A very good overview and tools are needed and we use on our entire (self-managed, etc) server park the Configserver services packages (paid and free) and they are champs in assisting you setting it up if you do not know how. It is so easy to safeguard your server if you take the time and spend some money to benefit your clients and provides you with a secure platform

Leo
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomlabugsquad/-/jeG0meZNnX0J.