IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want!

Showing 21-269 of 269 messages
IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/2/11 5:08 AM
Dear users,
I'd really like to spend my development efforts on things that people are actually going to use. So I'm starting this thread to figure out what features people would like to see in the next versions. Your votes will help me prioritize. Thanks in advance for your ongoing support!

I'm providing my own list - everyone is encouraged to add more items and/or to vote on items proposed by others:
  • Capacitive sensing - for easy connection of capacitive sensors.
  • PPM output - for connecting to a transmitter and controlling existing R/C toys.
  • IOIO over Bluetooth - support connecting a Bluetooth dongle to the IOIO USB jack and controlling it wirelessly using the exact same API. Will require a bootloader upgrade.
  • IOIO over OpenAccessory - use OpenAccessory (like ADK) as the underlying connection. Will improve latency and throughput. Possibly will not be 100% robust like the current version as result of OpenAccessory flaws. Will require a bootloader upgrade.
  • Parallel synchronous I/O - support clocked input / output using multiple pins in parallel.
  • Periodic digital sampling - obtaining precisely timed digital signals (e.g. for implementing a logic analyzer).
  • Bit-banging API - an advanced mode in which users will be able to write short scripts to run on the IOIO-side, which implement arbitrary protocols.
  • Increase analog sampling rate - expose an API for controlling the analog sampling rate (currently @1KHz / channel).
  • QEI - for communicating with quadrature encoders. Perhaps with a simpler mode for using unidirectional encoders.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Erle Czar Mantos 8/4/11 1:58 AM
+1 to IOIO over Bluetooth.

On Aug 2, 5:08 am, Ytai <yta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear users,
> I'd really like to spend my development efforts on things that people are
> actually going to *use*. So I'm starting this thread to figure out what
> features people would like to see in the next versions. Your votes will help
> me prioritize. Thanks in advance for your ongoing support!
>
> I'm providing my own list - everyone is encouraged to add more items and/or
> to vote on items proposed by others:
>
>    - *Capacitive sensing* - for easy connection of capacitive sensors.
>    - *PPM output* - for connecting to a transmitter and controlling existing
>    R/C toys.
>    - *IOIO over Bluetooth* - support connecting a Bluetooth dongle to the
>    IOIO USB jack and controlling it wirelessly using the exact same API. Will
>    require a bootloader upgrade.
>    - *IOIO over OpenAccessory* - use OpenAccessory (like ADK) as the
>    underlying connection. Will improve latency and throughput. Possibly will
>    not be 100% robust like the current version as result of OpenAccessory
>    flaws. Will require a bootloader upgrade.
>    - *Parallel synchronous I/O* - support clocked input / output using
>    multiple pins in parallel.
>    - *Periodic digital sampling* - obtaining precisely timed digital signals
>    (e.g. for implementing a logic analyzer).
>    - *Bit-banging API* - an advanced mode in which users will be able to
>    write short scripts to run on the IOIO-side, which implement arbitrary
>    protocols.
>    - *Increase analog sampling rate* - expose an API for controlling the
>    analog sampling rate (currently @1KHz / channel).
>    - *QEI* - for communicating with quadrature encoders. Perhaps with a
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Eric42 8/5/11 1:30 AM
Hi,

My main concern right now is easier developing/debugging (without
having to plug/unplug the ioio all the time). I guess IOIO over
bluetooth is a good step in this direction, so +1 for this one.

+1 for Periodical logical sampling too (with perhaps an option to use
a digital input as a trigger for capture instead of time reference)
+1 for Parallel synchronous I/O too
(I am not sure of the exact difference between "Periodical logical
sampling" and "Parallel synchronous I/O" with clocked input, but I
feel like they can both allow fun stuffs to be made :o) ).

I understood we already had OpenAccessory support, but I may be
wrong...

Other things I think would be nice to have (I can live without them,
but feel free to vote for them if you need them):
- Step motors driving
- Matrix keyboard reading
- Matricial led output (not sure of the name, but basically I'd like
to be able to control 64 leds using 16 binary outputs without having
to manually handle them)
PS:I am not sure the last one is possible (can the PIC do multi
thread?)

Eric

On 2 août, 14:08, Ytai <yta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear users,
> I'd really like to spend my development efforts on things that people are
> actually going to *use*. So I'm starting this thread to figure out what
> features people would like to see in the next versions. Your votes will help
> me prioritize. Thanks in advance for your ongoing support!
>
> I'm providing my own list - everyone is encouraged to add more items and/or
> to vote on items proposed by others:
>
>    - *Capacitive sensing* - for easy connection of capacitive sensors.
>    - *PPM output* - for connecting to a transmitter and controlling existing
>    R/C toys.
>    - *IOIO over Bluetooth* - support connecting a Bluetooth dongle to the
>    IOIO USB jack and controlling it wirelessly using the exact same API. Will
>    require a bootloader upgrade.
>    - *IOIO over OpenAccessory* - use OpenAccessory (like ADK) as the
>    underlying connection. Will improve latency and throughput. Possibly will
>    not be 100% robust like the current version as result of OpenAccessory
>    flaws. Will require a bootloader upgrade.
>    - *Parallel synchronous I/O* - support clocked input / output using
>    multiple pins in parallel.
>    - *Periodic digital sampling* - obtaining precisely timed digital signals
>    (e.g. for implementing a logic analyzer).
>    - *Bit-banging API* - an advanced mode in which users will be able to
>    write short scripts to run on the IOIO-side, which implement arbitrary
>    protocols.
>    - *Increase analog sampling rate* - expose an API for controlling the
>    analog sampling rate (currently @1KHz / channel).
>    - *QEI* - for communicating with quadrature encoders. Perhaps with a
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Guillem 8/5/11 7:03 AM
+1 to IOIO over Bluetooth
+1 to IOIO over ADK

Thanks!

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/5/11 7:40 AM
@Eric

(I am not sure of the exact difference between "Periodical logical
sampling" and "Parallel synchronous I/O" with clocked input, but I
feel like they can both allow fun stuffs to be made :o) ).

Good point. Periodic sampling may be achieved by parallel input with an internal clock, where the clock simply isn't output on any pin.

I understood we already had OpenAccessory support, but I may be
wrong...

We do. However, it is in Beta mode, meaning that compatibility and support are not guaranteed, and it is not as robust as the ADB version. The purpose of this item is to release it properly on the main development branch.

Other things I think would be nice to have (I can live without them,
but feel free to vote for them if you need them):
- Step motors driving
- Matrix keyboard reading
- Matricial led output (not sure of the name, but basically I'd like
to be able to control 64 leds using 16 binary outputs without having
to manually handle them)
PS:I am not sure the last one is possible (can the PIC do multi
thread?)
 All are great ideas! Not sure why multithreading is needed here: IIUC, you mean connecting the 64-LED to 8 anode and 8 cathode busses in a row-column setup and then quickly scanning (effectively achieving 1/8 power to each LED). You'd also need transistors on each row-column, or else you'd need to really choke the current. Is that what you meant? But by all means, this is a cool feature to add, i.e. implement the scanning and switching on the IOIO-side, where the Android side just says "I want these LED on now".
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Joal Heagney 8/6/11 5:25 PM
I know this is asking for a lot, but scripting support?
Maybe through:

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

Joal Heagney
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/6/11 11:25 PM
Yo, Damon,
See Joal's request below on the ioio-users list. I seem to recall you had a plan to support IOIO on SL4A, but I might be delusional...

Ytai.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/7/11 8:13 AM
Forwarding Damon's response to the group.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Damon <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:
+android-scripting

I'm happy to accept patches for SL4A support. I unfortunately don't
have time to spend implementing it myself.

Damon--
http://www.damonkohler.com/

Re: [SL4A] Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Manuel Naranjo 8/8/11 6:05 AM
I would love to work on this, but I don't have any 2.3 Android device,
or IOIO board to play with.
Re: [SL4A] Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/8/11 12:32 PM
Any Android >1.5 is good. But you will probably need a IOIO (unless you want to build a wrapper around a library that you won't be able to use...)
I can't offer you a IOIO (since I'll be paying for it just like everyone else), but you can win eternal glory, for which $50 are really a small price to pay :D
Re: [SL4A] Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Manuel Naranjo 8/9/11 5:34 AM
Ytai,
Any Android >1.5 is good.
Ohh right this isn't the Android Open Accessory

But you will probably need a IOIO (unless you want to build a wrapper around a library that you won't be able to use...)
Not even crazy I do it without the board!

I can't offer you a IOIO (since I'll be paying for it just like everyone else), but you can win eternal glory, for which $50 are really a small price to pay :D
I'm in Argentina right now, 50$ here is a lot of money, but lucky I'm comming to the US next month for a 4 month internship, I will get the board, and if I manage start working on the API.

Manuel
Re: [SL4A] Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/9/11 11:22 AM

Great news. We'll keep in touch then!

On Aug 9, 2011 3:34 PM, "Manuel Naranjo" <naranjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ytai,
>> Any Android >1.5 is good.
> Ohh right this isn't the Android Open Accessory
>
>> But you /will/ probably need a IOIO (unless you want to build a
>> wrapper around a library that you won't be able to use...)
> Not even crazy I do it without the board!
>
>> I can't offer you a IOIO (since I'll be paying for it just like
>> everyone else), but you can win eternal glory, for which $50 are
>> really a small price to pay :D
> I'm in Argentina right now, 50$ here is a lot of money, but lucky I'm
> comming to the US next month for a 4 month internship, I will get the
> board, and if I manage start working on the API.
>
> Manuel
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Eric42 8/9/11 11:50 PM
Hi,

On 5 août, 16:40, Ytai <yta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Eric
> (I am not sure of the exact difference between "Periodical logical
>
> > sampling" and "Parallel synchronous I/O" with clocked input, but I
> > feel like they can both allow fun stuffs to be made :o) ).
>
> Good point. Periodic sampling may be achieved by parallel input with an
> internal clock, where the clock simply isn't output on any pin.

OK, by "clocked" you mean "with a clock pin", not with a timer
trigger :o).

> > Other things I think would be nice to have (I can live without them,
> > but feel free to vote for them if you need them):
> > - Step motors driving
> > - Matrix keyboard reading
> > - Matricial led output (not sure of the name, but basically I'd like
> > to be able to control 64 leds using 16 binary outputs without having
> > to manually handle them)
> > PS:I am not sure the last one is possible (can the PIC do multi
> > thread?)
>
>  All are great ideas! Not sure why multithreading is needed here: IIUC, you
> mean connecting the 64-LED to 8 anode and 8 cathode busses in a row-column
> setup and then quickly scanning (effectively achieving 1/8 power to each
> LED).

Yes. I thought multi thread because if we want the leds to look like
they're lit all the time, we need to turn them on/off all the time,
but I guess you may include this to the micro-controler's main loop
(if there is such a thing... sorry if I say stupid things here but I
am not very experienced in micro-controlers (yet)).

> You'd also need transistors on each row-column, or else you'd need to
> really choke the current. Is that what you meant? But by all means, this is
> a cool feature to add, i.e. implement the scanning and switching on the
> IOIO-side, where the Android side just says "I want these LED on now".

I don't see why transistors are needed here but I'll try to understand
it before I burn my IOIO :o)

About the matrix input keyboard, I was thinking to some instruction
that will hang until a key is pressed of a timeout occurs and return
the pressed key code, but if you can manage the leds output matrix in
continue, perhaps you can use some extra cycles to continually scan
the keyboard and allow reading them in a buffered way?

If wishes season is still open, it would be nice to add RC5 protocol
support (both for emission and reception).
Bit banging scripts should allow it but if we can go native.

Eric
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/10/11 1:01 AM

OK, by "clocked" you mean "with a clock pin", not with a timer
trigger :o).

I mean that you'll have something like the following options:
  • Each pin can be designated as input or output.
  • Clock source can be either internal (i.e. using an internal timer) or external (i.e. coming from a designated pin, generated externally). In case it is internal, you can additionally request that it is output on a certain pin.
This would give you quite a variety of options, one of which is periodic sampling (i.e. set pin(s) as input, internal clock, do not output the clock).

> > Other things I think would be nice to have (I can live without them,
> > but feel free to vote for them if you need them):
> > - Step motors driving
> > - Matrix keyboard reading
> > - Matricial led output (not sure of the name, but basically I'd like
> > to be able to control 64 leds using 16 binary outputs without having
> > to manually handle them)
> > PS:I am not sure the last one is possible (can the PIC do multi
> > thread?)
>
>  All are great ideas! Not sure why multithreading is needed here: IIUC, you
> mean connecting the 64-LED to 8 anode and 8 cathode busses in a row-column
> setup and then quickly scanning (effectively achieving 1/8 power to each
> LED).

Yes. I thought multi thread because if we want the leds to look like
they're lit all the time, we need to turn them on/off all the time,
but I guess you may include this to the micro-controler's main loop
(if there is such a thing... sorry if I say stupid things here but I
am not very experienced in micro-controlers (yet)).

Typically this is achieved by using timer interrupts. The PIC has 5 programmable timers, that can raise interrupts at your desired frequency. Some of them are already purposed, but there are still 2-3 free ones.

> You'd also need transistors on each row-column, or else you'd need to
> really choke the current. Is that what you meant? But by all means, this is
> a cool feature to add, i.e. implement the scanning and switching on the
> IOIO-side, where the Android side just says "I want these LED on now".

I don't see why transistors are needed here but I'll try to understand
it before I burn my IOIO :o)

Each pin potentially sources / sinks 8 LED. At 10mA / LED, you'll have 80mA which is way above what the pin can handle. So you'd probably need PNP for the anodes (8 total) and NPN for the cathodes (8 total), as well as a current limiting resistor per-LED).

About the matrix input keyboard, I was thinking to some instruction
that will hang until a key is pressed of a timeout occurs and return
the pressed key code, but if you can manage the leds output matrix in
continue, perhaps you can use some extra cycles to continually scan
the keyboard and allow reading them in a buffered way?

No need to scan probably. You can get a "change notify" interrupt when a pin changes state. This is being used currently for digital input. So it is possibly just a different interpretation of these interrupts when they occur.

If wishes season is still open, it would be nice to add RC5 protocol
support (both for emission and reception).
Bit banging scripts should allow it but if we can go native.

Is this the protocol commonly used by TV remotes? If so, it is probably indeed a good idea! My guess is that bit-banging can take some time, and will be a little tricky to use properly. It is probably useful for exotic and rare protocols that are not worthy for properly implementing in firmware. So any common protocol should probably be 'hard coded' (which would also be more efficient). Then again, perhaps it will eventually be proved that the bit-banging option is so convenient that there's no point in hard-coding anything... Time will tell. Anyway, added to the wish-list!

Eric

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! trandi 8/10/11 3:06 AM
Manuel,

What project do you have in mind with the IOIO ?
I hate when money is an issue stopping a great project (even though
the whole point of hacking IS to do with re-cycled and cheap stuff...
lol...)

If you have a good idea about an interesting project, then send me
your address and I'll post you a IOIO board.

dan

On Aug 9, 1:34 pm, Manuel Naranjo <naranjo.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ytai,> Any Android >1.5 is good.
>
> Ohh right this isn't the Android Open Accessory
>
> > But you /will/ probably need a IOIO (unless you want to build a
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Manuel Naranjo 8/10/11 4:59 AM
Dan,

> What project do you have in mind with the IOIO ?
Other than having the sake of fun??? :D, someone suggested that an SL4A
(meaning Python, PHP, Perl, Ruby and even JS) IOIO interface layer would
be nice to have. And I totally agree, it would let non Java developers
(for example artists) to create great thinks with the board.

Right now I don't have any other project, I just love new challanges and
playing with gadgets, I'm one of the core Py4A developers, and I think
I'm the only EE there, so I think I could be the guy to do it.

> I hate when money is an issue stopping a great project (even though
> the whole point of hacking IS to do with re-cycled and cheap stuff...
> lol...)
Yes money is an issue of course, also is time.  As I said next month I'm
starting an internship in the US 'til end December, so that means I will
not have much time. But on the other hand is cheaper and easier for me
to ask sparkfun for a board once I'm there.

> If you have a good idea about an interesting project, then send me
> your address and I'll post you a IOIO board.
I can give you my US address as soon as I have it

Stupid question, I haven't investigated the IOIO board much, it's not
like the Arduino where you change the firmware on the fly keeping the
bootloader right? Specially what I mean is, do you write Java code to
modify the firmware? Because if that's the case, I don't think it would
make non developers life easier, and the project might not make sense at
all (still like the challenge).

Manuel

> dan
>

> On Aug 9, 1:34 pm, Manuel Naranjo<naranjo.man...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Ytai,>  Any Android>1.5 is good.
>>
>> Ohh right this isn't the Android Open Accessory
>>
>>> But you /will/ probably need a IOIO (unless you want to build a
>>> wrapper around a library that you won't be able to use...)
>> Not even crazy I do it without the board!
>>
>>> I can't offer you a IOIO (since I'll be paying for it just like
>>> everyone else), but you can win eternal glory, for which $50 are
>>> really a small price to pay :D
>> I'm in Argentina right now, 50$ here is a lot of money, but lucky I'm
>> comming to the US next month for a 4 month internship, I will get the
>> board, and if I manage start working on the API.
>>
>> Manuel

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/10/11 10:53 AM
Stupid question, I haven't investigated the IOIO board much, it's not like the Arduino where you change the firmware on the fly keeping the bootloader right? Specially what I mean is, do you write Java code to modify the firmware? Because if that's the case, I don't think it would make non developers life easier, and the project might not make sense at all (still like the challenge).

In normal operation, there's a fixed firmware on the IOIO, which provides access to all the board's functions over a serial connection (currently on top of ADB or OpenAccessory, in the future maybe over Bluetooth, etc). It uses a certain well-defined protocol for exposing this functionality. On the other side of this connection (Android) is a Java library ("IOIOLib") used by the app, which wraps this protocol with a convenient high-level API. More info in: http://codaset.com/ytai/ioio/wiki

Having all that said - the IOIO boards do have a bootloader installed. This bootloader, upon restart, tries to establish a connection to the Android device and pull an application firmware, if available. Obtaining and selecting which firmware will be installed on the IOIO is done using an app called IOIO Manager (http://codaset.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/The-IOIO-Manager-Application). Although with the IOIO Manager it is possible to use it for running any code on the IOIO, it is normally used only for upgrading the "stock" firmware.

I think the intention when talking about exposing IOIOLib in SL4A was to wrap IOIOLib (or re-implement it and expose equivalent functionality) and expose this functionality to scripting languages. Will be very happy to get you engaged in this project!

Ytai
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Manuel Naranjo 8/10/11 1:06 PM
El 10/08/11 14:53, Ytai Ben-Tsvi escribió: Ok in that case it makes total sense! I was afraid that we needed any dex byte code on the fly conversion.

I will take a look when I get the time, if anyone wants to start working on creating a facade I would love to help.

Manuel

Ang.: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! A.Bergvall 8/14/11 11:35 PM
I'm new to ioio but I haven't seen any features like this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to read input from a motor encoder (or more likely the commutation spikes), but since I don't need an extreme resolution with many pulses per motor turn, it would be nice to either:
1. Have a "wait for N inputs" which would in essence downsample the incoming pulses, or
2. Have a counter which can be polled from the Android device

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Joal Heagney 8/15/11 2:58 AM
Hi Ytai,

From my understanding of android-scripting, even a Java app that exposed the IOLib function calls as a series of intents would be enough of a start to enable writing an ioio library in python.

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/ApiReference#startActivityForResult

Thanks,

Joal Heagney
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! tormentor 8/17/11 3:56 AM
Add 1-wire interfacing to API
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! tormentor 8/17/11 4:12 AM
Another wish - porting of the IOIO API to desktop Java
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/17/11 1:41 PM
@Joal, I suspect intents are really heavy compared to function calls in terms of latency and CPU required, but my intuition may be wrong.
@tormentor, I think there are several things called one-wire. Can you point me to a specific spec or device? I some cases I know of, one-wire is simply a UART operating in open-drain mode, with TX/RX connected together.
@tormentor, once BlueTooth is available (soon I hope), it will be possible to use IOIO from a PC.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM, tormentor <eda...@gmail.com> wrote:
Another wish - porting of the IOIO API to desktop Java

unk...@googlegroups.com 8/19/11 3:36 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! tormentor 8/19/11 3:37 AM
>>> I think there are several things called one-wire. Can you point me to a specific spec or device?

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/1-wire/
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/21/11 6:40 AM

Got it. Great!

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! BASH 8/22/11 1:06 AM
Wow, am I really the only person that would like a solution to be able
to connect a usb peripheral to the IOIO board? Does anybody agree that
this could be very useful. Thanks
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! mark gross 8/22/11 6:56 AM
Any usb endpoint that presents itself as an ADB gadget will work ;)

--mark

do interesting things.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/24/11 9:23 PM
@Bash,
I agree that this would be useful, i.e. connecting a hub to IOIO and then an Android device on the other end plus some USB devices, and allow the Android to communicate with them somehow.
However, it is not very clear what would be the right API on the phone side for that, nor what parts of the stack will be implemented on IOIO and what parts on the Android.
Did you have any concrete idea in mind? Did you imagine something generic that would require device-specific drivers on the Java end or something more intuitive on the Java side that would require device-specific code on the IOIO?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Sam West 8/28/11 3:53 PM
+1 for Increase analog sampling rate

(as discussed here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ioio-users/MN2RopVVx-s/bCTzLKb6x_MJ)

Essentially, it would be really useful for myself (and a bunch of developers I work with) to be able to sample multiple analogue channels at high frequency (ie >1kHz).
This would allow you to use your phone as an oscilloscope!
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Michael Shiloh 8/28/11 4:20 PM
+1. Also spectrum analyzer (at whatever freq it can handle).

(You know, with an outboard FPGA it could do software radio too...)

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! mcstellar 9/12/11 1:55 PM
+1 Parallel synchronous I/O
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Olsa Fin 9/13/11 1:08 AM
Sorry Mc Stellar, but do you mean separate I/O´s working independently but also simultaniously?
From that; can you send commands via USB many at same time or only one at time (as chain)? ;)

2011/9/12 mcstellar <jwhi...@gmail.com>
+1 Parallel synchronous I/O

Olli Pyynönen
+358(0)451188838
+358(0)404467015
olli.p...@gmail.com
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! gaetano mercante 9/28/11 6:17 AM
+1 to IOIO over OpenAccessory
+1 to IOIO over Bluetooth
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Olsa Fin 10/2/11 12:31 AM
Yes, two (or more) i/o-channel can be connected simultaniously! Prooved!

2011/9/13 olli pyynönen <olli.p...@gmail.com>

--
Olli Pyynönen
olli.p...@gmail.com

Simpler wish would be 1-wire interface for devices such as
DS18B20. :-)

thanks
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Mathew Key 11/7/11 6:24 AM
As far as OneWire is concerned, the folks doing the Bus Pirate (www.dangerousprototypes.com) have One Wire as part of their product which is all open source.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! kiz 12/28/11 8:42 AM
The IOIO Manager should present a summary of the application and bootloader on any IOIO board.  This could be done at the startup, or via a menu item.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ronald Niederhagen 12/28/11 11:18 PM
That's a very good point!
Include a function in  IOIO Manager to report Hardware ID, Bootloader ID
and Firmware ID, and some other interesting info which might be
available on the IOIO.

Am 28.12.2011 17:42, schrieb kiz:

> The IOIO Manager should present a summary of the application and
> bootloader on any IOIO board.  This could be done at the startup, or
> via a menu item. --

> Groups "ioio-users" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ioio-users/-/EaOZP8pAkXkJ.

> ioio-users+...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/ioio-users?hl=en.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 12/29/11 12:33 AM
Good point indeed. Opened an issue for tracking: https://github.com/ytai/ioio/issues/11
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Pretourian 1/3/12 2:33 PM
How about a shiftout command? This is largely used in the industry. The ability to serially shift out data to a shift register like 74HC595 for instance. Check this out  http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/exp/sw23b.pdf With this approach we could easily extend I/O ports.

I would be happy to hear back from you on this

Best,

Fabio
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/3/12 3:07 PM

This functionality can be achieved by using SPI (with an additional pin for latch if you will, or a falling edge trigger on the SS pin). The feature labelled parallel synchronous io above is a natural extension that would also support this use case (at slower rates probably, SPI can work at up to 8MHz).

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Alex Waller 1/4/12 8:34 AM
If it isn't already supported (my IOIO is actually in the mail on the way to my house) I'd like to see support for HD44780 parallel LCD interface or TTL for a serial interface LCD. The project I have in mind requires an onboard display.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/4/12 9:10 AM
I think this would be covered by the "parallel / synchronous I/O" requirement.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Alex Waller <rella...@gmail.com> wrote:
If it isn't already supported (my IOIO is actually in the mail on the way to my house) I'd like to see support for HD44780 parallel LCD interface or TTL for a serial interface LCD. The project I have in mind requires an onboard display.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! AETCNC 1/6/12 4:18 AM
I would seriously...SERIOUSLY...like to be able to live-update the PWM freq of a PWM pin, for example in a SeekBar "onProgressChanged()" method. Believe it or not, there is HUGE application for this and it would be very very useful. I would do the IOIOLib changes myself, but cannot directly reference the PIC registers or re-flash the adjusted firmware obviously...
Please respond if this will be possible. Many thanks!
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! RobotFreak 1/24/12 3:52 AM
Hi folks,
I would like to see UART with half-duplex (RS485) support for the next IOIO firmware. A concrete application for me would be to control Dynamixel servos like the AX-12. This can't be done from the Java side.
Because there is only a single line for receive/transmit you will need to disable the transmitter, when it is not used. Only when you want to send something you enable the transmitter, send the data, disable transmitter (when the last character has been send over the wire). For RS485 transceivers you will need a separate output pin to switch the direction of the RS485 IC between receive/transmit.
Greatings Peter
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/24/12 8:10 AM

Won't you achieve this by wiring rx and tx together, running tx in open drain and use an external pull up to 5v?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Graeme Hulme-Jones 1/24/12 10:04 AM

I agree...that should do it...

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rodrigo Magalhães dos Santos 1/24/12 10:10 AM
Hi people,

i would like to see some more elaborated electrical aspects, in order to avoid or prevent damages due to connection errors. Maybe, this kind of circuitry would be unnecessary on production PCBs, considering that, on these environments, we don't change connections very often, or don't change connections at all. I understand that this circuitry is likely to increase the PCB size, though...

Best regards,
Rodrigo Magalhães.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! RobotFreak 1/24/12 1:06 PM
Thanks, I will try that.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/24/12 4:03 PM
And reduce frequencies of input and output as resistance and capacitance exist.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/25/12 1:32 AM
Could you include some audio hardware (e.g. a vs1003 od vs1053)?

Android has a serious issue with audio latency. Basically, dynamic generated audio data needs about 150-200ms from the point in time when the data is handed over to Android until a sound can be heard (see http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434). Using IOIO with some DACs or even some chip like the ones mentioned above, it would finally be possible to create audio apps matching the ones on iOS. BTW: it would be great to include a midi interface etc.

Wrapping this up into an easy to use product with according libs, this could solve a real long-time issue of Android!
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/25/12 10:09 AM
So have you taken into account the .write buffer length can be part of the total .getMinBufferSize length?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/25/12 10:12 AM
Simon, I don't understand both your two last emails on this thread. Can you please elaborate?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Simon Jackson <jacko...@gmail.com> wrote:
So have you taken into account the .write buffer length can be part of the total .getMinBufferSize length?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/25/12 10:22 AM
I'm making a synth at the moment, and I think I will go MIDI later. I am aware that most professional MIDI sequencing software does allow for presending MIDI on a specific track so as to sync up with replay. In this sense only MIC->PCMOUT has an impossible to fix delay. I don't think the IOIO as an audio device would help, as there is no timing resolution to send the output. Perhaps a work around would be to use a UART Tx at the maximum baud, and use 1-bit DAC bitstream techniques, but this involves a Stream buffer overhead, and some parity/start/stop distortion.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/25/12 10:24 AM
As protection resistors are added to pins, the current which can flow to charge the pin capacitance is lowered, and so the maximum pin transition rate is reduced.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/25/12 10:40 AM
The getminbuffersize gets the minimum needed buffer to hold replaying sound while the system can do other things, so that enough sound is available to continue background playback. On write, if the buffer is full the call to write blocks, (probly on a fast copy routine filling the minimum buffer, and keeping it filled). In this sense the speed at which the blocked packet of sound can fill the minbuffersize buffer (hardware buffer) is perhaps fast enough, that if the minbuffer and write buffer are sufficiently large together, then there would be less delay. Maybe at best it could halve the delay.

This does assume of course that the buffer copy on write blocks and copies at quite a low level. If the blocking level is low enough, then the minbuffer has to be big enough for an interrupt service routine, and the write buffer written to it has to be getminbuffersize long. The latency will still be long, and perhaps this is not solvable unless the priority of the write refill process is increased. Is Thread.setpriority usable on android?

Cheers Jacko
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/25/12 11:01 AM
I'm not taking about sequencing software but about using an android device as an instrument. Think about connecting a master keyboard to an android tablet. The tablet synthesizes the sound data. If that data is then handed over to android, android needs about 120-200 ms until a sound can be heard. That's way too much for an "instrument". So, since I cannot replace the android system on a customers device out there in the field, I'm thinking about bypassing it via the standard usb connection -> ioio -> (pcm) sound chip / dac -> speaker, wrapped up as a ready-to-buy interface. So the timing has not really to be synced in that case. Instead it should be "as fast as possible" / with a latency as low as possible (<50ms from pressing a key on the keyboard to hearing a sound).
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Graeme Hulme-Jones 1/25/12 11:48 AM

This sounds more an issue of including some facility in the firmware so that the API can support ADDITION of external chips to the IOIO at sufficient bandwidths. No offense to anyone, but I dont think there should be hardware addition to the IOIO...it narrows the device flexibility for other subject-specific-applications. The simplicity and adaptability of the IOIO is what will distinguish it against Apple et al.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/25/12 12:11 PM
You may be right that there should be no hardware addition to the IOIO. I don't want to offend anyone too, but thinking about it, what's needed is a product, a kind of "Android USB soundcard" that works right out of the box, not some do it yourself hardware (though that's much fun too). That "soundcard" could be based on the IOIO design or something different. I probably should try to find somebody who could help me to build and sell such a product.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Sanji Hanai 1/25/12 12:51 PM

We can extend a IOIOLib for adding a functionality the API not offered, some useful resource is remained on the IOIO. Building the source is troublesome though.

If the MCU dose not have the virtual memory, it may be difficult to modularize and pluggable like IOIO Manager does. So how about writing a documentation for extend the IOIOLib and reserve the protocol number for it.

2012/01/26 5:11 "achim....@googlemail.com" <achim....@gmail.com>:
You may be right that there should be no hardware addition to the IOIO. I don't want to offend anyone too, but thinking about it, what's needed is a product, a kind of "Android USB soundcard" that works right out of the box, not some do it yourself hardware (though that's much fun too). That "soundcard" could be based on the IOIO design or something different. I probably should try to find somebody who could help me to build and sell such a product.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Graeme Hulme-Jones 1/25/12 1:32 PM

I may be that somebody ;)

On Jan 25, 2012 10:11 PM, "achim....@googlemail.com" <achim....@gmail.com> wrote:
You may be right that there should be no hardware addition to the IOIO. I don't want to offend anyone too, but thinking about it, what's needed is a product, a kind of "Android USB soundcard" that works right out of the box, not some do it yourself hardware (though that's much fun too). That "soundcard" could be based on the IOIO design or something different. I probably should try to find somebody who could help me to build and sell such a product.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/25/12 6:24 PM

great stuff! An external hi-fi, low-latency sound card for Android is definitely something I would buy.
Even more so, if it had a midi in/out and an audio in/out and software for a synth, a guitar effect rack, a multichannel recorder, a sequencer, etc.

Something along the lines of Amplitube for iPhone.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/25/12 6:42 PM
Yes, most of the delay is the touch screen event delivery.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/25/12 10:38 PM
No, it's not the touchscreen that's causing this delay and not the event delivery. I measured it. It's the android software stack for audio output. See e.g. http://arunraghavan.net/2012/01/pulseaudio-vs-audioflinger-fight/
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/25/12 11:53 PM
I send you a mail.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/26/12 1:38 AM

Allow me to focus the discussion a bit. The goal of this thread was to figure our which features would make IOIO a better product. Making a specific product based on IOIO is out of scope and I'm really hoping that this is something other people will do by leveraging the existing IOIO software.
In the context of audio that's been discussed above, the missing bit in IOIO is not a DAC but rather the API that will enable you to stream data out in a precise rate with high throughput and low latency.

We're talking about 1.5Mbit/sec or so, which should be doable.
What kind of interface would you like to see on the DAC side? SPI? Parallel synchronous? Something else?

On Jan 25, 2012 12:51 PM, "Sanji Hanai" <sanji...@gmail.com> wrote:
I send you a mail.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/26/12 1:45 AM
A rough outline of the code I'm working on. Completing Control to handle the IOIO, and completing RenderThread to fill out sample generation. I may even get it to print the lag.

Cheers Jacko
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/26/12 2:39 AM
I probably would use either an VS1003 or VS1053B. According to their Data sheet, they appear to use SPI to transmit the audio data. I'm not into SPI enough to say more. I will try to figure it out. Until then, the data sheet for these chips can be found via Google. Sparkfun has a breakout board for the VS1053.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! dain 1/26/12 2:52 AM
Great discussion, I was onto the same idea (of making a high end
soundcard) when the IOIO was released (see:
https://groups.google.com/group/ioio-users/browse_thread/thread/a59cb1b41e4d66de/d98972a03bced468?lnk=gst&q=dain#d98972a03bced468
), but coming from a user interface / software development background
I gave up on the job of designing the hardware and embedded code
needed for it all alone.

Would be more than happy to join forces if some visual development /
UI design expertise is still needed, I have a bunch of ideas how
should this sound card control panel app on the Android side look like
and what features could it offer.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/26/12 10:20 AM
The VS* chips seems like an overkill: they do all the audio processing on-board and require the chip to be programmed. Since it has an SPI interface, it seems like the IOIO can already be used to communicate with it, perhaps with some little modifications that can save the round-trip to the Android in certain cases.
I thought the idea was to implement all the signal processing on the Android and only use an external DAC / ADC, which will probably require more work on the IOIO software, but will reduce costs and PCB size, and will also be more generic in the sense that your signal processing is part of the Android app and not another piece of firmware that need to be installed.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Achim Leubner 1/26/12 11:54 PM
Well, a DAC would be sufficient. However, if I think towards an "Android Soundcard", more functionality (2 x line in, encoder, ...) could be an advantage..

Yesterday, I wired up an Seeduino Mega (I don't a IOIO at hand) and a VS1053b breakout board to learn how to connect the VS1053b. The result:

"MP3-Mode"
    S0 <-> MISO
    S1 <-> MOSI
    SCLK <-> SCK
    CS <-> DOut / Chip Select
    DCS/BSYNC <-> DOut
    DREQ <->DIn

"Midi-Mode"
    RX <--> DOut/TX / (SoftSerial) 31250bps / Midi-Data

Optional (to reset & switch mode)
    Reset <-> DOut
    GPIO 0 <-> DOut
    GPIO 1 <-> DOut

The Midi sounds of the VS1053 are bad, so "Midi-Mode" is not really useful. The MP3-Mode is what's desired and this GPIO0/1 can be hard-wired. So, basically what's needed is SPI + 2x or 3x (with reset) DOut + 1x DIn. So, sorry, it seems as what I want to do already can be done with a IOIO.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Simon Jackson 1/28/12 8:56 PM
I've thought about this, and it seems if no polyphony is required, then maybe an audiotrack with the sequence flush(), write(data), write(filler) would play data, almost instantly, as the filler would fill the buffer and block as it could be getminbuffersize() big. The following note would flush this if it was still waiting. The setup time of the audiotrack would be the only latency. MODE_STREAM.

The problem with continuous generation, is that flush() has some latency, and so there may be an issue with it. Hope this helps.

Cheers Jacko.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/29/12 12:06 AM
Bocar, Jacko, please take these discussions to another thread :)

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! a6000000 2/16/12 5:10 AM
how to change the BlueTooth 4545   PASSCODE  to my own/different  passcode ?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/16/12 9:06 AM

This is hard coded in the firmware. You can change it and rebuild the firmware.

On Feb 16, 2012 5:10 AM, "a6000000" <com.6...@googlemail.com> wrote:
how to change the BlueTooth 4545   PASSCODE  to my own/different  passcode ?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rob Dunning 2/22/12 10:30 AM
It would be valuable to be able to write to an external sd card hardware attachment via the pins on the IOIO board (easily, with an API supported by IOIOLib).  The reason is that many android devices don't have removable SD Cards, so any data created by an application attached to the Android device, that creates any sort of logs, makes the logs relatively hard to access.  (i.e. the user must move the Android device to within bluethooth range of a PC or other device, or connect the Android device to a PC to transfer any log files to the "internet.")  Of course some Android devices are also Phones, and email is an option in this case.  But, in many cases, simply pulling out an SD Card with the log data, and giving it to another person would simplify this procedure immensely.

Rob
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! smurry 2/23/12 7:07 AM
+1 for this idea.  I could use this function a lot.

--Stefan
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Graeme Hulme-Jones 2/23/12 7:35 AM

Just use easylogger from sparkfun...

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! smurry 2/24/12 7:51 AM
Graeme,

Thanks, but I'm not trying to log data.  My application involves
sending a datafile from my Android device through IOIO to an SD Card.
If you have an idea how the easylogger can do this, I'd love to know
it (seriously, not sarcastically!).

--Stefan

On Feb 23, 9:35 am, Graeme Hulme-Jones <ghj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just use easylogger from sparkfun...
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! ghjeng 2/24/12 8:09 AM
Sorry,

My fault completely...I meant 'openlog' from sparkfun. It logs a serial stream direct to a micro-SD card. The data stream can be whatever. By default it logs as a text file...but if you just match the file header of what ur trying to save then it will come up as that filetype on ur pc. This way all you do is pass your file out over serial...which IOIO already has API support for.

You get me? Or am I missing a finer detail of what ur doing?

Sent from Samsung Mobile

smurry <stefan...@gmail.com> wrote:

IOIO for iOS using Bluetooth Low Energy Al Linke 3/12/12 12:28 PM
On the iPhone 4S and iPad 3, Apple has quietly done away with the previous M-Fi program allowing developers to access the new Bluetooth Low Energy chips in those devices without jailbreaking. Would be awesome to extend this to IOIO.

According to this paper on Bluetooth Low Energy, it's not meant for application with high data rate requirements and rather apps that need to occasionally send data.

I have seen a few folks using this, here's one example

Some Bluetooth Low Energy USB dongles are now available

http://www.bluegiga.com/BLED112_Bluetooth_low_energy_dongle

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-USB-Bluetooth-Adapter-Technology/dp/B004LNXO28/ref=pd_cp_e_0

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:08:35 AM UTC-7, Ytai wrote:
[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Elhanan Maayan 3/14/12 2:21 AM
* a led indicating about a successful connection to android, (would be great if we'll have 2 for rxtx stuff)).
* a female barrel jack for easier power connection (so that morons like myself won't fry it by accident ;-) ).
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! docere 3/19/12 10:15 PM
Here is an article that talks about using a UART to participate in 1-wire interface.  I have not tried this but this seems like a feasible solution

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/214

On Friday, August 19, 2011 6:37:03 AM UTC-4, tormentor wrote:
>>> I think there are several things called one-wire. Can you point me to a specific spec or device?

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/1-wire/
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! docere 3/19/12 10:17 PM
http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/214

This is a useful article that talks about leveraging your UART to participate in 1-wire interfacing
Arnold

On Friday, August 19, 2011 6:37:03 AM UTC-4, tormentor wrote:
>>> I think there are several things called one-wire. Can you point me to a specific spec or device?

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/1-wire/
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 3/19/12 11:23 PM
Interesting! Have you tried it? Seems to me that using the UART TX in open-drain and the UART RX in pull-up mode you may be able to use this with 0 external parts. The internal pull-up, however, may be too weak, so an external one might be required. Which is still not half bad if it works.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! John Hewitt 4/1/12 7:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried the hardware stick-on joystick from joystick it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscCGVzr65c

and if so what code is needed so i can use it with my ioio projects.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 4/2/12 9:22 AM
John, this device seems like it is meant to be placed on a touch screen and has nothing electronic about it - it only makes the touch screen believe your finer is at a certain position. So I can't seem much sense in connecting it with a IOIO.
Also, please consider the place where you're asking questions. It is better to open a new thread than ask a question on an unrelated thread.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Carl 4/3/12 12:58 PM
I may just not know how to do it, but it would be nice to be able to set (and reset when needed) values for the pins which the device could reset to in the event of a lost connection.  This is probably more of an issue with the bluetooth dongles than the direct USB connection, but losing a connection can make an ioiobot run away from you.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 4/3/12 5:26 PM
When the connection is lost all the pins become floating. You should be able to use weak pull-ups pull-downs for getting a deterministic output when this happens. Does this satisfy your requirements?

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Carl <carl.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
I may just not know how to do it, but it would be nice to be able to set (and reset when needed) values for the pins which the device could reset to in the event of a lost connection.  This is probably more of an issue with the bluetooth dongles than the direct USB connection, but losing a connection can make an ioiobot run away from you.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Aaron Gascoigne 4/6/12 12:54 PM
standalone mode so the ioio can do basic math without being connected to an android device(similar to bitbang?), I understand this is alot harder than it sounds
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! FelixA 5/20/12 12:38 AM
IOIO over Wifi - support connecting a Wifi dongle to the IOIO USB jack and controlling it wirelessly using the exact same API would be really great. A simple webserver would be necessary to send commands from the Android phone <-> router <-> IOIO

Am Samstag, 29. Oktober 2011 14:51:22 UTC+2 schrieb evillanueva:
now that USB Bluetooth Support is working great, i would like to wish
IOIO support to USB Wifi Dongle and USB Modem. (preferably HUAWEI Usb
Modems)
Connecting USB Modem to IOIO will give IOIO connection to Android
device over Internet. that would be a break through. :-)

Simpler wish would be 1-wire interface for devices such as
DS18B20. :-)

thanks
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! tomer 6/4/12 12:43 AM
.NET/C# library for Windows PC...

בתאריך יום שלישי, 2 באוגוסט 2011 15:08:35 UTC+3, מאת Ytai:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ph1lJ 6/8/12 6:58 AM
I like the idea of incorporating QEI so

+ 1 to QEI

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:08:35 AM UTC-4, Ytai wrote:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! mfer17 6/9/12 3:04 AM
+1 to IOIO over Bluetooth.
+1 to IOIO over OpenAccessory

New versions may incorporate a pic 24H.???
High performance 12-bit ADC ...

I am very interested in your work, congratulations ...
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/9/12 9:14 AM

You know that Bluetooth and Accessory have been supported for quite a while, don't you?
PIC24H doesn't have USB OTG if I remember correctly.

IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Joey Carlini 6/18/12 1:18 PM
Late to the party, but could IOIO place nice with Tasker, if all the programming is on the android anyway?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Vic Wintriss 6/28/12 7:33 AM
Make pins configurable as input or output
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/28/12 7:47 AM

Are you serious?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dan Hockey 6/28/12 8:03 AM
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:33:00 AM UTC-5, Vic Wintriss wrote:
Make pins configurable as input or output

You could but you would have to use a different chip that supports that feature such as the following...
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

The one down side of this is all the firmware would have to be rewritten.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/28/12 8:18 AM

I'm sorry. I don't understand what is the feature you are talking about exactly...

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dan Hockey 6/28/12 4:38 PM

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:18:41 AM UTC-5, Ytai wrote:

I'm sorry. I don't understand what is the feature you are talking about exactly...

Ok I'll try to explain...

Using parallax mcu's as an example, the basic stamp1, basic stamp2, and P8X32A have the ability to use an individual i/o pin or a group of i/o pins as an output or input configured via software. When configured as an output, the pin(s) has the ability to sink or source to control a PNP or NPN transistor and it also can send serial data out of any individual pin or a group of pins(for parallel data).

When configured for use as an input, a pin or a group of pins(for parallel data) can be used to read a high signal or a low signal. And any individual pin can be used for serial data input.
The P8X32A is able to do A to D as well.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/28/12 4:43 PM
Still don't understand. The IOIO has 48 pins, ALL of which can be used as either digital input and digital output. 16 of which can be used for analog input and more and more.
Do you mean something else?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Santiago Daniel Iglesias 7/18/12 2:30 PM
Could you add some way to do PPM input? I'm trying to use the IOIO as the basis for an autopilot and it would be much nicer to interface with an RC receiver over PPM (less wires). Currently, I can only read 6 channels by reading the individual PWM channels.

Thanks,
Santiago
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 7/18/12 3:14 PM
The Pulse-Input handles PPM input. "The IOIO has 3 single-precision and 3 double-precision pulse input modules (it is possible to change this division by trading-off one double-precision for two single-precision modules)." That limit is based on the hardware, not the firmware. I suppose you could make more by reading the digital input values on the CPU. Is that what you're requesting? If so, it may be possible to use the periodic digital input feature to accomplish that.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Santiago Daniel Iglesias 7/19/12 11:36 AM
Really? I couldn't get it to read anything. From what I could gather, the pulse input is for measuring periodic signals like PWM or by measuring frequency. PPM stacks several pulses in series.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 7/19/12 11:43 AM

I've been using it to read the values from my spektrum receiver just fine for 3 channels. I haven't tried it with my six channel radio. Make sure you don't read the frequency, just the pulse width. It varies by the receiver, but typically the signals are about 50hz. A pulse width of 1ms is 0% and a width of 2ms is 100%. If you have trouble look at the logcat.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 7/19/12 5:18 PM
I'd be surprised if PulseInput would work as-is for PPM input. However, the input capture (the same hardware peripheral that's used in PulseInput) is adequate for such usage and with slight firmware modifications is is probably easy to implement. I'll make a note of that. Thanks for the input.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Haz 7/26/12 4:30 PM
I would like to see a version with CAN (Controller Area Network). Would open up the apps to automotive.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Casper 7/30/12 1:50 AM
Hi Ytai

I have a concrete idea. I would like to connect a webcam and a IOIO board to an android device, but the android device only has 1 usb port. Therefore it would be really cool if I could connect a usb hub to the android device and then run the IOIO board and the webcam through the usb hub. My plan is to convert/modify the Linux drivers for the webcam to work on the android platform, however I am not sure how much work is actually required to do this. I am looking into this at the moment and talking to a software guy.

My understanding is, that right now it is not possible to connect the IOIO board to the android device via a usb hub because the IOIO board does not support usb hubs - is this something that is being looked into and what would be the timeline for developing this sort of usb hub compatibility into the IOIO board?

The android device I am currently using is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but it only has 1 usb port so I am trying to find a "usb hub workaround" to connect the webcam. I am thinking about doing this using a 3G webcam. Any ideas or inputs are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:23:45 AM UTC+2, Ytai wrote:
@Bash,
I agree that this would be useful, i.e. connecting a hub to IOIO and then an Android device on the other end plus some USB devices, and allow the Android to communicate with them somehow.
However, it is not very clear what would be the right API on the phone side for that, nor what parts of the stack will be implemented on IOIO and what parts on the Android.
Did you have any concrete idea in mind? Did you imagine something generic that would require device-specific drivers on the Java end or something more intuitive on the Java side that would require device-specific code on the IOIO?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 7/30/12 9:13 AM

One issue you will have is that when connected to IOIO, the phone is a device. When connected to the camera, the phone is a host.

Have you thought about using a wifi camera or something like that instead?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dan Christian 7/31/12 9:21 AM
You could use a SPI to USB chip like the MAX3421E to add a USB host
port (that would control the camera).
http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/3639

Then you just have to write a whole bunch of software...

-Dan
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 7/31/12 6:40 PM
If your Android can be a host, and can work with the camera, this would be possible with IOIO-OTG, with the Android mastering the bus, and the IOIO + camera are both slaves on the hub.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Lloyd Olson 8/17/12 1:28 PM
Ytai,

What about NFC?  Might increase the form-factor marginally, but it is the future and will separate you from the competition.

Lloyd Olson
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/18/12 9:19 PM
Most new phones have NFC now, why would you need it on the IOIO too?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Olsa Fin 8/19/12 5:59 AM
Hi Ytai&Co´s!

I´ve concerning to add the fluid level sensor to my system. If solved via voltage switch (voltage on<3.3 or <5V per input pins up to 1-24), can I use rest of the pins 25-48 as outputs for the relays.
The basic idea is to control the relay outputs with voltage information fron input channels 1-24 parallel; each input of voltage switch on, will indicate the pair output of channels 25-48 to be activated or not; if pin 1 get voltage, the pin 25 will be activated and so on.
Is that so simple; can I pair the io-information as input/output pairs?

2012/8/19 Ytai Ben-Tsvi <yta...@gmail.com>

--
Olli Pyynönen
olli.p...@gmail.com

This should be in its own thread.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! beto maluje 8/21/12 4:34 PM
I don't know much of electronics but it could be great if there's a IOIO with Bluetooth already so you don't have to purchase a dongle separetly. It's like the arduino Bluetooth shield but for IOIO :)

El martes, 2 de agosto de 2011 08:08:35 UTC-4, Ytai escribió:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 8/22/12 8:54 AM
1) There is : http://www.adafruit.com/products/885
2) This is far better than the bluetooth shield by arduino (I might be biased...) because the dongles are 10x cheaper, and they are so small compared to an entire shield.

w.r.t. arduino shields, I almost think of the IOIO as the equivalent of an android shield, because it adds IO to the android.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! MarkOfZero 8/22/12 2:35 PM
Is there a way to use HTML and Javascript to control the IOIO?  I have an Android based system (Nexus 7).

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Gary Mort 8/24/12 11:17 AM
According to the wiki https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/IOIO-Developer-Getting-Started-Guide
" It exposes a protocol to the Android app, which enables controlling many of the PIC's functions in a simple way, over a simple TCP connection."

From javascript you can connect to the listening port and then send/receive commands.  The only thing you need to do is build up a javascript library to match the Java library for handling the connection and any commands you want to use.

The Java application is communicating via a tcpip socket[I beleive port 4545?] so it goes:
Your Java Application <--ip socket-->IOIO
So in theory, you could simply run
A)Your Javascript Application <--ip socket-->IOIO

What I'm not sure of is WHERE this port is being generated from.  Checking the firmware, I don't see any tcpip libraries, which leads me to believe that the IOIO is not acting as a network device.

In which case, there is something running on the android which is providing that port...and it may well only be providing it for itself.

IE if you include the IOIO libs in your application, what you really have is:
B)Your Java Application <--ip socket-->Your Java Application<-- openAccessory/bluetooth/adp --> IOIO

Though it is possible that the IOIO Manager also acts as the middleware server, so it is:
C)Your Java Application <--ip socket-->IOIO Manager<-- openAccessory/bluetooth/adp --> IOIO

If the connection is either A or C, then you can just use websockets and connect directly.

If the connection is through B, then you will need to write a small Java application that can provide the socket to javascript and then act as the middleware.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Wilhelm Wiechern 9/9/12 2:43 PM
Don't know whether it has already been mentioned: I'd like to see the possibility to configure a digital input to provide a gate signal for another input, the other input could be digital (providing counter results on every gate pulse) or  accumulating analog/PWD/Frequency (providing average reading values between gate pulses). Thus almost deterministic behaviour would be achieved on inputs, at least much faster as possible by Java/Android interface methods.

Am Dienstag, 2. August 2011 14:08:35 UTC+2 schrieb Ytai:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Larry Ly 9/14/12 10:21 AM
Can you make the UART so we can select the polarity of the RX/TX line? I am currently trying to build the bootloader from scratch just to invert the signal on the UART line. I know the PIC supports it.

Thanks,

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:08:35 AM UTC-7, Ytai wrote:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! headingwest 9/25/12 9:14 PM
Some way to get a zero cross over signal for PWM please.
It's too slow on the android side so needs to be on the firmware side.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! headingwest 9/25/12 9:20 PM
And a mini IOIO that has a cut down version of the firmware running on a smaller PIC with fewer inputs and outputs and with a DIP format to plug into smaller dev boards. I have a lot of fun with the picaxe stuff which has a number of form factors from 8 to 28 pins. I struggle with the surface mount stuff that the IOIO chip uses, my hands are too big.

I've seen something on the ioio-dev group but it's over my head to replicate it myself.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ran Ben Oved 10/3/12 5:26 AM
ADC Average
so if the ADC reads 1000 time per seconds and i can only read  every 100 msec,
it will be nice to get the average of the last 100 reading

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 10/3/12 9:04 AM
You can achieve that with the current API, by having a thread doing readBuffered() repeatedly and applying some averaging filter.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! KennyChou 10/17/12 3:00 AM
Hi all:
         I do some tests on "How to develop little device on Android host", then I find :
           1.  It is difficult to write code without keyboard on Android.
           2.  It is too "huge" to use VM on little device.
         To solve these two questions, these steps are useful:
           1.  Google blockly is a good tool to generate C/C++ code with your finger on Android.
           2.  Compiling the result by GCC on Android.

        Therefore everyone could  draw his procedure and control his peripheral device with Android phone.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rich Mayfield 10/18/12 12:10 PM
I'd like to see the 4 usb pins on pads somewhere. Spaced at .1 like the rest of it would be nice too.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! technoob 11/13/12 4:11 PM
I don't even know if this is possible, or previously requested but...

Could you have a usb wifi dongle to work in a similar way as the bt? Automatic connect to wifi, get ip from dhcp? Configure with usb/bt and save connection settings into the ioio?

I have webcams that work this way.

It would be a mountain of work to implement - but would be popular.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 11/13/12 4:34 PM

It certainly would be cool. I think the previous response was that the wifi dongles are not standard like bt dongles. It is on the list though.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Asaf Bentov 1/5/13 10:10 AM
חיבור לבוילר מרחוק
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Konee COE 1/15/13 4:34 AM
(IOIO - Xbee) >>> (Xbee - Relay shield)

want code for connection.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rob Dunning 1/22/13 12:56 PM
Ytai, I'd like a simple request -- the IOIO is not working with the Nook Simple Touch (this is the eink reader).  According to staylo, this is because the IOIO is not recognizing the Vendor ID of the Nook Simple Touch.  Can we add Nook Simple Touch support to the IOIOApp?

Rob
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/26/13 5:22 PM
I don't have a Nook, so I probably won't do it... Maybe somebody else will. However, the VID doesn't seem to be relevant.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Casper 1/29/13 5:48 AM
Hi Ytai,

Will the new IOIO OTG work with a usb hub? I would like to connect a IOIO OTG board and a tablet charger through a USB hub to the tablet, but I don't know if it's possible. It would be great if you would be able to run the IOIO board whitout having to worry about the tablet's battery life.

Thanks

Den onsdag den 1. august 2012 03.40.47 UTC+2 skrev Ytai:
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/29/13 8:57 AM
Hub is not currently supported. It is a software change, though. Has nothing to do with IOIO-OTG or not.
Regardless, working through a hub will not solve the problem you're describing. The tablet will still limit itself to 500mA as it detects that it's connected to a host and not to a fast charger.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Casper 1/30/13 1:31 AM
Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to solve the problem I'm describing - charging the tablet while also having the IOIO plugged in? The tablet I'm using is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/30/13 1:36 AM

Unless it has an additional charging port - no. This is inherent in how USB works.
If you have further questions, please take them off this thread.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Victor 2/5/13 4:08 AM
Hi Ytai,

I've just purchased a IOIO OTG (i'll receive it tommorow.), and my target is to build a capacitive liquid level sensor.
I'm on the way to build an external electronic using the IOIO PWM and analog input to do this but I saw that you had the project to allow the usage of the native function for capacitance measurement from the PIC24F so my question is: when do you think it will be available (just an idea week, months or year...)

Thank you sincerely for the job you did.

Victor

Le mardi 2 août 2011 14:08:35 UTC+2, Ytai a écrit :
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/5/13 8:52 AM

Funny that you mention this, must be your lucky day. Yesterday I finished most of the coding for capacitive sensing and I'm expecting to release it soon.
It's optimized for touch sensing, but may suit your needs. Otherwise, some firmware changes might be required.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Victor 2/5/13 1:26 PM
Great!

When you say it's optimised for touch sensing, does this mean it provides only a digital signal or will it be able to provide a capacitance value?
My need is to measure two cacacitance, one between 0.5 and 10 pF and the second between 2 and 100pF. Do you think it will be possible?

Tks ones more.

Victor
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/5/13 3:40 PM
It will provide an analog reading which corresponds to capacitance. This capacitance will include some fixed constant that reflects internal circuitry and parasitic capacitance.
You won't have enough precision for such small capacitance values as you're describing, as the measurements are somewhat noisy. However, your range is suitable, so you might get a good measurement capability by filtering over time.
I think I will expose an API for specifying a filtering time constant (simple IIR), so it might be good enough for your purposes.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dan Christian 2/6/13 8:39 AM
It would be rather hard to detect liquid level using just one touch sensor.

However, you could put a series of them on the side of a plastic or
glass tank.  You might even be able to interpolate between the first
one above the liquid surface and the one below it.

Funny story.  The first generation Mac "cubes" had a capacitive power
switch on the top.  Guess where the cat liked to sleep?

-Dan
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Victor 2/11/13 9:10 AM
The Idea is to get a linear sensor partialy below the liquid level, as the liquid dielectric constant is different for the air one, the capacitance will change linearly with the level (like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_sensor#Capacitance)
Il do the first test soon with my external circuit and tell you the results but with a capacitance meter it was working.

@Ytai, I'll do anyway a very slow filtering because my tank will move a lot and the level will oscillate.
Will your API be based on the Charge Time Measurement Unit from the PIC24F with the possibility to adjust the charging current and the time step? If it's the case it will suit perfectly to my project.

Hope to get the new API soon!!! (I received my IOIO-OTG last friday and I can't stop playing with it)

Victor

Le mercredi 6 février 2013 17:39:55 UTC+1, Dan Christian a écrit :
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/12/13 8:07 AM
I pushed the CapSense code to github and the documentation to:

I'm not releasing it just yet, as it hasn't been tested thoroughly, but it seems to work fine.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Victor 2/13/13 11:59 AM

Great! I'll test et asap.

Just a question, what means that you don't  release y et? Does it means that i can uptate thé firmware but et my own risks, or i have to wait?

Thank you.

Victor

Le 12 févr. 2013 17:08, "Ytai Ben-Tsvi" <yta...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/13/13 9:31 PM
When I do a proper release procedure, I increment version numbers, build all the firmware and software bundles, carefully test them, update the release notes, put the files on the Downloads page as release candidates, make an announcement on the list, etc.
In this case, I just pushed the sources to GitHub. They should work, but you'll have to build them yourself.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! otto100 2/17/13 12:41 AM
Dear Ytai,

I'm from the C++ and C# (C-Sharp if C# should be not readable here) corner, and since I'm using C# the whole day at work, really would prefer using C# (Mono or Xamarin) instead of Java for IOIO programming.

How can this be achieved? Maybe if you (or someone else) would post one or a few samples (or a kind of doc), this would help to make IOIO interesting also for users, who where shying the change to Java or the inconvenient use of two different (yes, they are...) languages at the same time.

This would be my wish for the list...

Best Regards
Otto
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/17/13 10:00 PM
Hey Otto,
This is a good idea. In order for that to happen, someone with a C# background should step forward and implement IOIOLib in C#. I'm willing to help with explaining the IOIO protocol and my design approach for the Java IOIOLib, but I'm not a C# person.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! n 2/17/13 10:01 PM

Hi,

I develop apps in c#

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/17/13 10:20 PM
As in "I am willing to develop a C# version of IOIOLib"? :D
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! n 2/17/13 10:21 PM

Yes

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/17/13 10:23 PM
Welcome :)
Join ioio-dev. Study the protocol (some information here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pj3Mla2Yl_M6CFOZAJd6w8YAThxM76CtaDlXVK8LKAo/edit), study the Java implementation. Would be happy to help with any non-C# questions :)
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! n 2/17/13 10:27 PM

Okay I start on with it on my own pace

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/17/13 10:32 PM

Thanks!

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! otto100 2/18/13 2:36 AM
Great! :-))

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Christopher Burns 2/18/13 9:17 AM
How about python?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Brett Graham 2/18/13 11:07 AM
re python:
There is a python client I've been working on

and another mentioned recently on one of the lists

I'm hoping to get back to working on this soon (stupid job getting in the way). It is so far 'usable' for digital io/pwm/analog/pulse_in/uart (in various stages of testing).

If there are particular things you're looking for let me know.

How about python?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Christopher Burns 2/18/13 1:04 PM
I'm looking to use ioio with my Raspberry Pi and a Chumby.  I can put Android on the Pi, but not the chumby.  I could use Java, but then I'd have to learn it.  Plus the Pi has a very nice interactive python tool (webIDE).

chris burns
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Brett Graham 2/18/13 1:15 PM
What sort of 'hardware modules' do you expect to use? for example, digital in? digital out? pulse in? spi? uart? etc... (so I know what to focus on).

I just pushed a version up to pypi (requires pyserial). So you can give it a try by installing with:

pip install ioio

Take a look at the tests repository in the repo for examples.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Christopher Burns 2/18/13 1:39 PM
Basically we're doing robotics at my school, so we want to add i/o to these machines.  Everything I can see that an ioio can do seems useful to me.

Chris Burns
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jeff Eberl 2/19/13 5:38 AM

For rc robots, pulse input and pwm are a must.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Paul James 2/22/13 4:28 PM
Victor, sorry I meant to mention this a long time ago, and you are already a long way down your development path, but had you considered using a pressure sensor to measure fluid level?

We measure to about 2mm accurately from a depth of 0 to over 10 metres. Using a differential sensor such as mxp5500dp makes sure it copes with atmospheric pressure changes.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Victor 3/2/13 4:09 AM
Thank you paul for your idea.
The level I want to measure is on a moped tank directly linked to the engine so with many vibration! In concequence I don't think that a pressure sensor could be accurate. The other issue is that the level is only 0.16m, so the pressure is very low.

Le samedi 23 février 2013 01:28:12 UTC+1, Paul James a écrit :
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Amr Eldafrawy 3/11/13 5:55 PM
hey ytai
please , could you tell me an example about controlling IOIO using device accelerometer
another thing
I'm working on a project that contains about screen , the problem is when i press back from a screen and then back to it , it reset , i want some thing that saves screen progress when pressing back
thanks in advance  :)
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rob Dunning 3/11/13 7:06 PM
Ytai,

I'd like to ship you a rooted Nook Simple Touch.

It is the only Android EINK screen so it's the only device capable of being used in directly sunlight.  It's a wonderful thing, and the IOIO would allow us to connect many devices to it.

If you would get the IOIO to recognize the NST that would be great -- what's your shipping address?

Rob

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Rob Dunning <rdunni...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ben Auchter 3/28/13 9:47 AM
Ability to capture ~16-bit depth analog inputs, with very accurate reference voltage.  Perhaps add footprint for these things if greater accuracy and high-end ADC is required?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 3/28/13 11:12 AM

This is unlikely to happen as it's application-specific. There are I2C or SPI based ADC you can easily connect externally.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Randy Kuntz 4/3/13 6:29 AM
Dear Ytai and the rest of the forum,

I'd love to see the bluetooth stack extended to allow us to use the IOIO as an A2DP SNK. Perhaps the output decoding and modulation could even take place onboard. It seems that HW limitations would allow for enough bandwidth to facilitate reasonably decent audio (44kHz/16bit). The next step would be to enable A2DP SRC to allow for two-way audio capabilities. Unfortunately, I can't be of much help on the PIC coding side where most of this will have to take place.

Thanks for your consideration.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rob Dunning 4/13/13 4:28 AM
Hi Ytai,

Any luck getting the IOIO to work with the rooted Nook I sent you?

Thanks!

Rob
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 4/14/13 1:20 AM
Nope, sorry.
Honestly, as I suspected, I had no time to even try, and will probably not have any at least until June.
If you don't feel like waiting for "someday" I can send you the device back :)

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ioio-users?hl=en.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ben Auchter 4/18/13 8:51 AM
I disagree with this assessment, but I understand if this will not be included for future consideration.
Calling a 12, 14, or 16-bit ADC "application specific" is like calling a 10-bit ADC or a Nook "Application Specific".
Thanks for your contributions!

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Roman Michalowski 4/18/13 12:19 PM
Hi Ytai,
I use a rooted Nook too and would like to connect a IOIO to provide some essential functionality.
Actually, there is a bunch of guys sitting on the fence around here ready to purchase Nook/IOIO combo so any help in sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Roman
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 4/18/13 12:24 PM
Allow me to clarify.
I have very limited time to spend on the IOIO (it's not my "real job"). When deciding what tasks I'm going to work on next, I'm trying to weigh value/cost and pick the ones that optimize this ratio.

My cost function is:
  • How much time it will take me.
  • How much time it will take others (e.g. SparkFun).
  • Potential negative impact on existing users.
  • How easy it will be for someone else to do it if they care enough.
My value function is:
  • How many people will actually use this / enjoy this / care about this.
  • What are the alternatives for users who need this if I didn't do it.
  • How much I'll enjoy making it.
  • Be it noted clearly that "profit" is not one of the criteria!
I was suggesting that your proposal falls short in that:
  • High cost: re-spinning a board (effectively come up with IOIO v3) will take a lot of time for me and for SparkFun and will increase the ongoing maintenance overhead (one more board to support).
  • Low value: having analog input is critical for most users. Having 16-bit analog input is not. This is what I meant by "application-specific". Even more so when it will possibly involve populating an extra chip, or otherwise, if it came pre-populated will increase the overall cost of the board. Also, you have a plausible alternative (external SPI/I2C ADC are common and simple to use).
WRT your comment on the Nook, this falls in a better position on my value/cost metric, but still behind other things that I have on my list. It mostly falls short on "how easy it will be for someone else to do it if they care enough" (not super-hard probably) and "how many people will actually use this", "how much I'll enjoy making it" (not much...).

If hope this makes you feel a little better, if anything :)

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 4/18/13 12:26 PM
Hey Roman,
Instead of waiting for me, perhaps you can try doing some diagnosis yourself. I will be very happy to help in answering specific questions or come up with ideas.
Please take them off this thread, though.
Request for Enhancement to Analog Buffered Read Tom Kreyche 4/19/13 11:38 AM

How about an enhancement to Buffered Reading on Analog Input? ...presuming this could increase throughput over repeated calls to the current in.readBuffered().

Something like passing an array to readBuffered, and having it go off and fill up the array as quickly as it can without further calls.

  int bufferSize = 256;
  int arrarySize = 64;
  in.setBuffer(bufferSize);
  float[] myFloatArray = new float[arraySize];
  in.readBuffered(myFloatArray);
Thanks, Tom
Re: Request for Enhancement to Analog Buffered Read Deha Kuran 4/20/13 5:36 AM
+1 for Burst Analog Read mode.

Actually this is something that I am planning to do also, but as ytai stated above, this is not my ''real job'' as well, so time slice that I reserve for IOIO is very limited.

As I checked the firmware code(BTW hell of a coding on FW,great job ytai), I saw that adding a new command is not that hard on firmware side if I didn't get it wrong. So,whenever I have a pickit3,some time and some luck :) , I'll share my results.

Meantime if there is a progress on this one, please notify me so I wouldn't start from scratch.

Cheers,
DK

19 Nisan 2013 Cuma 21:38:05 UTC+3 tarihinde Tom Kreyche yazdı:
Re: Request for Enhancement to Analog Buffered Read Ytai 4/20/13 9:16 AM

Since the underlying queue doesn't have support for reading multiple values, exposing a method such as you're proposing will not make anything faster in comparison to the client writing a for() loop. No?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Deeg 4/30/13 9:16 AM
Dunno if this is on the OTG but something I'd like is reverse polarity protection.  I fried a IOIO one time when I accidentally reversed the polarity of a battery.  This was completely my fault but a couple of extra diodes would have saved me from being a moron. :)
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Aston Francis 5/22/13 10:25 AM
Can this IOIO board use the Wi-Fi  USB dongle please?  Also how about Modbus TCP, RTU, ASCII.  Any libraries?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 5/22/13 6:44 PM
WiFi dongle is in the queue (not very high priority at this point, but might change if anyone wants to do it).
WRT to modbus, I haven't seen any microcontrollers supporting it (in hardware). What's the common practice (e.g. how would you use modbus with some arbitrary MCU)?
Also, what are the use-cases?

IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! alexandru nicu 6/7/13 8:48 PM
Bitbanging scripting - with myriads of sensors using uS timings and nonstandard protocols, this will be great. Think of one-wire, DHT11/22, SHT11, etc.

Cheers, Alex

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! alexandru nicu 6/7/13 8:55 PM
IR in and IR out (with modulation) will be useful, in my applications for IOIO. RC5/RC6, NEC are some of most popular standards, but I'm sure this will be different from one user to the next.

cheers, Alex

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Rob Dunning 6/10/13 8:48 AM
We got the IOIO working on the Nook Simple Touch.

 The trick was to root the NST using a "usbadb" kernel posted on the xda-dev site.  Earlier, we'd been using a "wifiadb" kernel which did not allow the adb over usb connection that the Nook requires to talk to the IOIO.  (The Nook does not support Open Accessory.)

This only works with the IOIO OTG, not the IOIO V1, even after we upgraded the IOIO V1 to the latest bootloader and firmware (tried hardware versions 0015 and 0016).  On the IOIO V1, the yellow stat light comes on and stays on as soon as the NST is connected.

Rob
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/19/13 10:08 PM
Rob, please move this to another thread. I believe this can be overcome.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! John Cervini 6/22/13 10:36 AM
I am a controls engineer - would like to use my Android device to simulate a serial port, RS-232 or RS-485, so that I may send a predefined IO commands to a digital controller expecting to see RS-232 or RS-485 data.  9600,   19,200 or 38,400 baud.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Al B 6/22/13 3:26 PM
I wish that the OTG main firmware is updated with the changes from the pwm-improvements branch so it can support the variable-frequency pulses.  Thanks!
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/22/13 7:15 PM
@John, what missing in the current product to allow you to do that? Why is the current UART not enough?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! dilesha herath 6/23/13 9:58 PM
Hi,

i am new to programming for the android. I would like to know how
would i be able to display data on my android app and how to store bit package in ioio.im planning to make an app to develop watt meter readings

thank you
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 6/23/13 10:01 PM
You're obviously new to mailing lists too :)
It's considered rather impolite to post a random question on an unrelated thread. Please open a new thread for your question. Also, consider that your question doesn't seem to be related to IOIO at all, and you may have better luck in the Android developer site and forums.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! David Cresswell 6/25/13 2:03 PM
This may have already been suggested, but how feasible would it be to optionally bundle the firmware with the Android app and have it flash the IOIO if necessary on launch? This would make it easier to distribute apps with the required/custom firmware.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! IOIOHank 6/25/13 5:35 PM
The heck with diodes!!!  How about putting a "+" and "-" on the silk screen??!!
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Roy Hammel 7/19/13 12:24 PM
better library including especially a more stable IOIOService implementation.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 7/22/13 12:33 AM

That's very constructive. Thanks.

On Jul 19, 2013 12:24 PM, "Roy Hammel" <rha...@verisagellc.com> wrote:
better library including especially a more stable IOIOService implementation.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Peakon 7/22/13 2:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with IOIOService, works absolutely fine for me.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Roy Hammel 7/22/13 2:27 PM
i wasn't trying to be rude. this is (was) the wishlist, right? i was trying to get across that i want a ioioservice that stays connected long term (and by that i mean indefinitely) or reliably reconnects on demand. you said in one of the threads that the way you have it set up in your projects is very reliable, but the example isn't done right. maybe all i'd need is to know how you set your service up in your own projects instead of the example? i really was not trying to cause any kind of strife or other bad feelings in any way.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 7/22/13 5:38 PM
What's wrong with the example (we're talking about HelloIOIOService, right?)?
Have you seen it fail after running for a long period? Do you have some more data on this failure mode?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Tyler 7/22/13 6:18 PM
To be fair, HelloIOIOService does use a deprecated setup for the notifications (using notification manager instead of the newer notification builder). Is that what you're talking about Roy? It still works just fine. And Android is supposed to automatically restart services if they are killed.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Roy Hammel 7/23/13 2:30 PM
i'm not talking about the use of deprecated functionality and i was talking about HelloIOIOService. I originally modeled all my service implementations on that before i saw your post about it not being done right.

when disconnecting the ioio and reconnecting it, reconnection in the service does not occur (at least on my tablet) and when left alone for greater than about 15 minutes with an effective wake lock, the tablet gives an error message that it stopped (again, at least on my tablet) and when i try to restart it it always fails to reconnect. this was with both my own services following the HelloIOIOService example as well as HelloIOIOService.

i worked around the reconnection issue for some of my own ioio services by putting the intent filter and meta-data tag onto the activity (which doesn't go away like in the example) and explicitly reconnecting to the IOIO in the service through intents from the activity. i have yet to figure out a solution to the dropping after 15 minutes issue. but then again, maybe i'm just not understanding how it's supposed to work? i was trying to get more data on it, hence my ioiobridge comments, but have since been distracted by other parts of the project. hopefully i'll be getting better info on the ~15 min. disconnection issue later this week (or right now as i'm currently messing with it in response to this email). maybe i just have a bad tablet like i had a bad computer? (i really don't know why the ioio bridge wouldn't work on the other machine as it worked first try with no problems on this one, same iMac model, same OS, same version even, and i don't know of anything installed on the other that's not installed on here except a couple of git-related utilities and a cmd-line file copy utility)

or maybe i just don't understand the way i'm supposed to be implementing the service. and right now, while writing this, after ~25 minutes, HelloIOIOService just stopped working only without the error message this time when directly connected. to get it to reconnect i have to power cycle the IOIO and force HelloIOIOService to stop in the android apps menu before running it again. when debugging over wifi it sometimes stops for more than a couple of minutes, and i get reconnection messages in logcat and ioiobridge both, but more in ioiobridge than in log cat. i was going to include a screenshot, but this goes to all "ioio-users" so i decided against it.

when debugging over wifi it seems to always eventually reconnect using HelloIOIOService (the light eventually starts flashing again, maybe 2 to 10 minutes later?), but not when directly connected. so really, the only actual error message is from ioiobridge showing a short stack trace due to an illegal state exception when the file descriptor becomes -1.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Tyler Trombetta <italin...@gmail.com> wrote:
To be fair, HelloIOIOService does use a deprecated setup for the notifications (using notification manager instead of the newer notification builder). Is that what you're talking about Roy? It still works just fine. And Android is supposed to automatically restart services if they are killed.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 7/23/13 5:22 PM
This is finally something to work with :)
There are several different issues here that are possibly unrelated.
  1. IOIOService not supporting IOIO connecting over AOA after the service is already running. Please open an issue on that. It is definitely a bug that should be fixed. Should be straightforward to fix I believe, if doing the intent registration from code rather than from the manifest, but I might be missing something.
  2. HelloIOIOService crashing: please try to narrow it down and open a bug. Make sure it is not something related to your changes. Please mention which connection type this happens on.
  3. IOIOBridge stuff: if you can reproduce it and add more info, open a bug.
  4. Disconnect not detected: may be an Android problem, but again, see if you can gather more data and open a bug.
Thanks!

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! yo2ldk 10/17/13 9:21 AM
 IoIo can drive 128x64 GLCD?

  I need some code for audio spectrum analyzer

marți, 2 august 2011, 15:08:35 UTC+3, Ytai a scris:
[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! xelhion 11/2/13 8:07 PM

How about a library for proteus or other electronics simulator?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 11/3/13 9:33 PM
What exactly do you mean? Can you elaborate?
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! xelhion 11/8/13 4:57 PM
I was thinking of enabling hardware simulators to produce the schematics of IOIO for more complex circuits.
I have found out that this can be done on Fritzing, so i switched.
Thanks for the time and I am sorry for that hasty request ;)
Thumbs up for you!

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:33:53 PM UTC-8, Ytai wrote:
What exactly do you mean? Can you elaborate?
IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Gordon Tao 11/18/13 8:24 AM
+1 to  QEI

I need this to calculate direction and distance. If possible, hope somebody could guide me to add this funtion for IOIO. I am willing to spend some time to do this. @Ytai

Gordon
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 11/18/13 8:45 PM
Study how PIC24 GPIO works and study digital.c in the firmware. You'd need to use change interrupts in a different way than they're used today in order to implement software QEI. When you have a proposal for what you'd like to change, run it through me.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jean-Eric Cuendet 12/29/13 4:37 PM
What about IOIO over Wifi with an inexpensive Wifi dongle?
Should be quite the same as IOIO over Bluetooth no?

Le mardi 2 août 2011 14:08:35 UTC+2, Ytai a écrit :
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 12/29/13 10:35 PM
It's a good idea that I started looking at about a year ago. Unfortunately, it is very not quite the same as Bluetooth, but still probably doable with some non-trivial amount of work, and assuming a single chipset on the dongle (unlike Bluetooth, WiFi dongles don't expose a standard interface over USB).

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jean-Eric Cuendet 12/30/13 11:54 AM

It's a good idea that I started looking at about a year ago. Unfortunately, it is very not quite the same as Bluetooth, but still probably doable with some non-trivial amount of work, and assuming a single chipset on the dongle (unlike Bluetooth, WiFi dongles don't expose a standard interface over USB).

Nice.
It seems that the dongles based on the realtek 8188 (or the similar 8192, etc... ones) are the easiest to find.
They are around 2$ on ebay.

I don't know much of uc programming but would it be possible to get the Linux driver for these devices and adapt it?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 12/31/13 10:33 PM

That's exactly what I was looking at when I started considering this option. There's indeed an open source driver, which may be portable with some effort. Then there's an entire TCP/IP stack that needs to be made to work with this driver. And also some practical considerations such as how to configure the network etc (probably by connecting the IOIO to a PC over USB first).
So I certainly believe this is possible, certainly agree that it would be a killer feature, but it's going to take considerable effort.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Jean-Eric Cuendet 1/1/14 2:05 AM

Yes, indeed. But i think you wont need à full tcp stack.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for your Great job.

Le 1 janv. 2014 07:33, "Ytai Ben-Tsvi" <yta...@gmail.com> a écrit :
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ioio-users" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ioio-users.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dimitris Kats 1/3/14 12:47 AM

happy new year!
(sorry for my english)
i am a newbie on programming and i think that there is a bug in version 1.0.5 [at least in my phone! xperiaV android 4.1.2 (ver.  9.1.A.1.140)]

when i start a new programm it creat a small one "hello" programm....if you run it it goes right...but if you edit it and run it again (e.x. change the "hello" to "bye")...it will not take any change of edit and show again "hello"....this is happeing to every other programm that i start.....am i going something wrong???....is a new version ready to publish?
thank you Ytai
Dimitris
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 1/3/14 5:06 PM
Two comments:
  • Please look at the subject of this thread. Your question doesn't seem related, so to right thing to do in this case is open a new topic.
  • I have no idea what version 1.0.5 is. Are we talking about IOIO here? If so, what application framework are you using? (please answer on a different thread!)

PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! Arthur Marxer 1/8/14 2:03 PM
I want to create a "Light-Show" that can be controlled with the touches on an android tablet. But... LED is not enough, let there be light! So, let's switch on some 230V (I'm in Europe) light bulbs: That works fine with a small driver circuit like for example here: http://www.sonelec-musique.com/images/electronique_triac_001e.gif  The digital outputs of IOIO can be connected to Cde input and the bulb goes on and off, so far, so good.

But I want to "Dimm" the light (similar to PWM). The keyword here is PFC or "phase cutting" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-fired_controllers). The IOIO output must pulse on and off at the correct position in the modulation cycle of the sinusoidal AC waveform. This means, that the IOIO munst synchronise itself with the modulation present at the input pin and trigger the output accordingly.

Let's do not only LED cool stuff, but big cool stuff with 1000 Watts and more....

PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! n 1/8/14 9:35 PM
Arthur,

For dimming ac you need to cut the phase at zero crossing For that you need to use a opto driver like the 4n35 to ascertain the ac voltage wave and then drive the triacs through opto triac drivers.
The coding is very easy if one understands the concept basics.

For dimming 1000watts it would be a whole lot of amperage 1000/230vac gives you A bit less than 4 amps

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! Ytai 1/9/14 1:01 AM
Driving the triac in sync with the AC signal in Java is going to be unfeasible because of latency and jitter constraints. You have the option of either using custom electronics (discrete or a separate microcontroller) to drive it, controlled by the IOIO via a PWM pin or something OR write custom firmware for the IOIO that does dimming.
Otherwise, there might already be a module that does that - your use-case sounds common enough.

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! n 1/9/14 1:05 AM
"Driving the triac in sync with the AC signal in Java is going to be unfeasible because of latency and jitter constraints. You have the option of either using custom electronics (discrete or a separate microcontroller) to drive it,"

True.

What I do is programme the AC control procedure into a microcontroller of my choice and communicate to the microcontroller using the UART serial and that's it.

Thanks & Regards,

Nishant Sood
--
CEO and Founder

Winacro Innovation's Inc.
Contact's:
Mobile: +91-8447476798
Phone:  0129-4176798

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! Arthur Marxer 1/9/14 4:01 AM
"cut the phase at zero crossing" is not quiet correct. I have to detect the zero crossing, then wait for a certain amount of time and then execute the trigger pulse. The triac will close the circuit and the "rest" of the wave will flow through the bulb. The triac will open the circuit again at the next zero crossing. The amount of "wait time" determines the lightness.

Triacs are made for this purpose and 4 amps is not a lot for a triac (e.g. the BT137 supports 8 amps). I also plan not to use one single "channel" but 10 channels or more.

2014/1/9 n <nis...@winacro.com>

Arthur Marxer
Dipl. Informatik Ing. ETH

NetCat AG
Hub 26
9492 Eschen
Liechtenstein

Mobile: +41 78 803 68 87
Business: +423 232 73 37

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! n 1/9/14 4:09 AM

What Not correct ? All I meant is well the whole purpose of ascertaining the zero crossing is to know when to cut the phase. That's it.
Its different that you need to wait a bit to generate the desired dimming.
I do that a lot of time with my andRHOME device.

About the amperage

Thanks & Regards,
Nishant
-------------------
Sent from My Android (humongous NOTE-II)

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! Arthur Marxer 1/9/14 4:14 AM
@Ytai Thanks for your precious time!
Yes, you are right, doing this in Java is unfeasible (that's not my intention). But maybe my use-case is common enough to integrate the PFC functionality into the official IOIO firmware? One input pin will be used for zero crossing detection and some other output pins are used to trigger the triacs (multiple output channels).

2014/1/9 Ytai Ben-Tsvi <yta...@gmail.com>

Arthur Marxer
Dipl. Informatik Ing. ETH

NetCat AG
Hub 26
9492 Eschen
Liechtenstein

Mobile: +41 78 803 68 87
Business: +423 232 73 37

Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! Arthur Marxer 1/9/14 4:37 AM
@Nishant Sorry for this misunderstanding, I don't want to mistrust your know how. I think, we both know how this circuit works.
Your sentence "cut the phase at zero crossing" might be misleading for some people who read this. I would say "you need to cut the phase after zero crossing" and the time between zero crossing and the cut determines the power. The longer I wait, the lesser the power.

Am Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2014 13:09:52 UTC+1 schrieb n:
Re: PFC: Let there be light, but not too much! n 1/9/14 7:31 AM
Neverthless leaving all this, I will say that programme a 8-bitter uC that handles the phase cutting etc for dimming the lights and communicate using the UART/serial channel to and from IOIO & uC , very easy and next to cost addition (well practically cost of a uC perfect to do this will be around $2)
Thanks & Regards,

Nishant Sood
--
CEO and Founder

Winacro Innovation's Inc.
Contact's:
Mobile: +91-8447476798
Phone:  0129-4176798

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Dave Wauben 1/24/14 5:22 AM
Any news regarding the library development for C#?

Op maandag 18 februari 2013 07:20:11 UTC+1 schreef Ytai:
As in "I am willing to develop a C# version of IOIOLib"? :D

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Nishant Sood <nis...@winacro.com> wrote:

Hi,

I develop apps in c#

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM, otto100 <ru...@deuse.de> wrote:
Dear Ytai,

I'm from the C++ and C# (C-Sharp if C# should be not readable here) corner, and since I'm using C# the whole day at work, really would prefer using C# (Mono or Xamarin) instead of Java for IOIO programming.

How can this be achieved? Maybe if you (or someone else) would post one or a few samples (or a kind of doc), this would help to make IOIO interesting also for users, who where shying the change to Java or the inconvenient use of two different (yes, they are...) languages at the same time.

This would be my wish for the list...

Best Regards
Otto

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Otto 1/25/14 2:43 AM
Am Freitag, 24. Januar 2014 14:22:11 UTC+1 schrieb Dave Wauben:
Any news regarding the library development for C#?
No. In my last IOIO project, I decided that messing around with c# using the java libs could become very complicated and could need much time (which is a problem for me). So I did it with Java.
It worked well ;-)

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! n 1/25/14 10:23 AM
I would suggest making your life easier and just going by the java

Thanks & Regards,

Nishant Sood
--
CEO and Founder

Winacro Innovation's Inc.
Contact's:
Mobile: +91-8447476798
Phone:  0129-4176798

unk...@googlegroups.com 2/7/14 7:45 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! fabrio pellegrinetti 2/7/14 7:49 AM

hello to all.
during the development of my home automation project, I came across the problem of the power supply of Android and ioio which must be separated.
my board provide  power supply of 14V 2A with a transformer 220V to 14V and one backup battery of 1200mAh and 12V recharged from the transformer.
When the the power line is off, the battery must supply power at the ioio, but he mustn't to the android.
For now I use Y split cable power supply double USB A and one usb micro.

Micro usb connected to the android, first usb to ioio and second usb to  another  standard android power supply. the poteziometer Vbus is set to minimum in accord to the usb debug survey.
Problem is  when the system goes on battery the an amount of mA goes to the standard android power supply and this reduce backup battery charge
What I would like is to be able to check the current Vbus, from java code from a ioio embedded digital potenziometer.

so when detect power failure, I can dinamically reduce Vbus current.

thanks
best regards

fabrio
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/7/14 8:58 AM
I don't know if there's a programmatic way to disable charging on the Android.
What you can do, however, is detect the power fault condition and put the phone to sleep. It should take very little current at this mode, assuming the battery was previously fully charged.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! n 2/7/14 9:06 AM
Fabrio,

If you want to control charging of the android programmatically (in the hardware it cuts off only when full charge automatically) then I would suggest controlling the power going to the android controlled using a power mosfet switched programmatically when you sense the system has gone to battery backup

Thanks & Regards,

Nishant Sood
--
CEO and Founder

Winacro Innovation's Inc.
Contact's:
Mobile: +91-8447476798
Phone:  0129-4176798

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/7/14 2:09 PM

Such a FET already exists in the IOIO-OTG, however, this will also cause the USB connection to get dropped, which is I assume not what is desired in this case.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! fabrio pellegrinetti 2/11/14 2:23 AM
Thanks for the answers.

let me try to explain better...what I would need on the ioio is to control the vbus with a digital potenziometer ioio embedded (controlled by java) instead of the standard one because I need to mantain the usb connection always active.
When the power line is present, I need to put via software the vbus at the maximum value for the android recharge, while when the power line is off the system needs to use the backup battery. In this case the vbus has to go to the minimum in order to continue to use the usb connection.

So, I need an hardware change on the ioio.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/11/14 8:48 AM
OK, I think I understand now. I don't think you need a digital potentiometer for that. Look at the IOIO-OTG schematic and identify Q1. It is a p-Channel FET responsible for the power supply on the VBUS line. When the IOIO is in device mode, its gate is left floating, and thus gets pulled up by R3 and the FET is not conducting.

When in host mode, the PIC will pull the gate low through Q2 and R3. According to the setting of R3, the gate voltage will vary, which can be used to put Q1 in linear mode, so that it acts as a resistor on VBUS and limits charging current.

All you're missing, it being able to pull Q1's gate directly to GND in order to supply full current when your main supply is up. You can probably just extract a single wire from the leg of the chip, and connect it through an n-FET to GND, where the n-FET gate will be driven by a signal that tells you that your main supply is good.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! fabrio pellegrinetti 2/13/14 6:15 AM
Thanks Ytai.

The solution you propose is very interesting.
But is there a simpler solution?
Is there a way to intervene by software to change the state of pin 40 of the PIC24F?
I want to change the state of pin 40 to act on the FET Q2 so as to dynamically change the VBus.
From java programming or modification to the firmware?
Looking at the diagram IOIO-OTG, I noticed that one pin of switch_spdt is marked with "U4", but I can not find a match.
Maybe I'll go OT: surely I've burned the fuse of ioio.
Could you tell me what this fuse on the board and its spefifiche to buy new and replace it?

Thank you for the wonderful device that you created Ytai
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/13/14 8:39 AM
Sorry, I can't really understand what you're asking / suggesting.
Which pin 40 are you talking about and what exactly do you want to do with it?
I don't think the fuse can easily be destroyed. It is resettable.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! fabrio pellegrinetti 2/13/14 9:44 AM

Sorry, torow the pin 40 I can't drive the FET Q2 how I need the

I'm sorry for the disturb: between the pin 40, It's impossible to drive the FET Q2 how I need, for to change charge current .

Your solution, is the best.

Wich type of Fet you suggest me to use?

grazie

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/13/14 11:00 AM

You can use the same part as Q2 out any other logic level nFET (e.g. BS170).
This is the wrong thread for this discussion, and I see you started another thread. Let's continue there.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Mehrdad N 2/16/14 7:57 PM
+1 for Parallel synchronous I/O. I would also like to see high resolution timer API for IOIO if possible. Much appreciated!!!

[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 2/16/14 11:55 PM
What do you mean by high resolution timer API exactly?

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Francesco Cembrola 3/24/14 1:39 PM
Hi Ytai,
There  are many IOIO users like me, who like the hardware but find difficult to program.
What could help us would be a simpler set of commands for the IOIO.
For example: IOIOpin3_set_High. Or :IOIOpin3_read_myVariable.
When you enter the above code everything will be done for you.

The above is a simple and naive explanation. But i am sure it reflects the view of many of us 'non programmers'.

Regards
Francesco

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:08:35 PM UTC+1, Ytai wrote:
[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 3/24/14 1:49 PM

There are a few frameworks that address this:
IOIOScript (JavaScript)
Protocoder (JavaScript)
Sparkfun's new Processing library for the IOIO.
B4A (Visual Basic for Android, which has a IOIO library)
Hopefully Python support and AppInventor are down the road too.

Personally, I'll be focusing on the core, lower level stuff.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! JR Miller 4/23/14 7:08 PM
I would love to have a port to the PIC24FJ256GB110 chip 100 pins, I have a very complex board that i have done that needs all the pins it has a lot on board, This board is for a non-profit organization to monitor  babies that might have sudden infant death syndrome  I am an old assembly  language programmer, C drives me insane i'm in the midst of a port now if someone has this port it would be great
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! karlytau 5/2/14 2:23 AM
hye
for me it would be interesant to have the script for receive by IOIO input and send sms to IOIO actions.
like ALARM sensor on android market but in the aim of a full dupleix (sms channel)
best regards
thanks for helping me

[...]

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! jossie kat 6/30/14 3:24 AM
very small ioio-otg /coin size(small coin). to make compact devices.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Komal Umare 8/12/14 10:57 PM

hello
i have some doubt in IOIO android device interface.. can we connect 8-channel logic analyzer,multimeter cables and cables of CRO to the IOIO device?.. or there are need to use any extra hardware for that..
plzz give me answer
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! Ytai 8/16/14 3:11 PM

I don't know what a CRO is, but otherwise yes.

Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! falcon74 8/16/14 11:33 PM
Cathode Ray Oscilloscope - I guess !
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! ondrosk3 10/8/14 8:06 AM
Hi Ytai, thanks for a wonderful kit. I might have one suggestion that came to my mind while developing a project that uses number of analog PINs to read data - in this project I only need to monitor changes to analog inputs (e.g. when voltage changes from 1.2V to 1.3V) and take some actions based on these. With analog input sampling rate set to 1KHz, the android device (IOIO thread) is quite busy processing this analog data (through USB) even if these are not changing resulting in animations on the UI thread not playing smoothly. I was wondering if is is possible to add an extra option (e.g. when opening an analog input) to AnalogInput class, something like setMonitorChanges(float minVoltageThreshold) which would cause the value obtanied by AnalogInput.read() to be updated only when an actual change occurs within the threshold (threshold=0 for standard behavior)? This would save some USB bandwidth and device CPU power as well I believe. Toda raba. O.
Re: IOIO Wishlist - tell us what you want! karlytau 1/19/15 7:39 AM
Hye Ytai,
all of this a really interessant.
but could you think of these:
you write an alarm sensor but imagine you can stop or start the sensor alarm with a sms
or an sms can change an status like don't integrate a alarm information like  a input.
i would like to developpe this tpe of soft but i am not able.
only small like i did few times ago
best regards

Le vendredi 2 mai 2014 11:23:09 UTC+2, karlytau a écrit :
More topics »