Status update

Showing 1-17 of 17 messages
Status update Tuck 7/23/12 10:50 AM
I went to East Burke, VT, to mountain bike the Kingdom Trails over the past 4 days.  First off, let me say that the area is spectacular, the trails terriffic and very well-maintained, and I'd go back in a heart-beat.

On my various experiments:

Salt: personally avoiding putting salt on my food is not working.  Just the amount of prepared foods that I eat, which is pretty low, was enough that I left a salt crust on my backpack from sweating while mountain biking.  Got a bit of chafing, but avoiding salt does seem to have lessened chafing.  To Noakes' point, you can't get sodium deficient unless you really try to.  I'm trying, and getting no where close.  However, the lower chafing and eye irritation is worth it... I'll have to strategize on how to schedule a salt "sweat-out" in advance of my next race to cause my body to dump the salt prior to beginning the race...

Water:  Adapting to low-hydration exercise take a couple of days, then you don't even think about it.  I carried water, peddled for hours, and only drank during meals and in the later afternoon, and only a few sips.  No obvious effect pro or con on performance, but not peeing a lot is a big plus...  I could probably pee less if I drank less coffee in the morning...

Maffetone:  I need to go back and look at the HR during my mountain biking, but I was having to work to get the HR up on a lot of the hills... It was getting annoying.  However on the one run I did, I had to walk the uphill, but it was much steeper than anything I attempted to run, and it was also after a 10.5-mile ride.  After riding for three days straight, I felt great, although the legs definitely got a workout, and are feeling it.

Caffiene addiction: went out for an early-morning ride sans coffee.  That was a mistake. :)  Won't be doing that again...

Wore my Lunas or barefeet the whole time.  Lunas are fast becoming my favorite shoe...

Oh, and the Kingdom Trails are some of the nicest barefoot-running trails you'll ever find.

--
_________________________________
Tucker

Re: Status update Ellen M 7/23/12 11:05 AM
On Monday, July 23, 2012 11:50:52 AM UTC-6, Tuck wrote:
 I could probably pee less if I drank less coffee in the morning...

Not a good trade-off in my book! ;) btw, I've made the switch to HWC with my coffee and my tastebuds are happy, but I ran out this morning ={

Sounds like you had a great trip! I've decided to mix running with cycling to keep all the muscles working.

For a 10m/16m backcountry run on Saturday, I helped run an aid station with amateur radio communications in a no cell coverage area. It was great to see people running down the trail with smiles on their faces after 11 miles. My kids helped pass out water, heed and gel too. My husband swept the 16m extension of the course on his mountain bike. It's great to be active and setting good examples for our kids all at the same time!

Of course, at the moment I'm sitting in my pink fuzzy robe, which I put on after my morning's run.... and it's not even morning anymore here in south central Idaho.
Re: [Minimalist Runner:116102] Re: Status update Tuck 7/23/12 11:10 AM
It was a lot of fun.  Oh, this should read:

"However on the one run I did, I had to walk the uphill, but it was much steeper than anything I attempted to ride, and it was also after a 10.5-mile ride."

--
"Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes..." hosted by Barefoot Ted

Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe

--
_________________________________
Tucker

Re: Status update Malo 7/23/12 9:39 PM
what laces do u use on your Lunas?
Re: [Minimalist Runner:116149] Re: Status update Deacon Patrick 7/24/12 5:35 AM
Not sure if this was a Tuck specific question, but I love the traditional laces. I use Luna's Leadville, tied the traditional way (ankle wrap).

With abandon,
Patrick

It's all good (but is it the Best Good?).
--
"Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes..." hosted by Barefoot Ted

Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe
Re: Status update Tuck 7/24/12 5:51 AM
I use the elastic/leather ones. You tie them once, then pull them on and off...
--
Tucker
On Monday, July 23, 2012 10:39:31 PM UTC-6, Malo wrote:
what laces do u use on your Lunas?

This is going to be all personal preference. I like the 1/4" leather laces. I gave my pair with the elastic laces to my Mom, after suitable trimming. I loved them for slipping on and off around town, but never warmed to them for running.

Gordo
Re: [Minimalist Runner:116157] Re: Status update Viking Runner 7/24/12 6:10 AM
I gave up on my ATS some time ago...I experimented a lot on them but never found them to stay in a good position.
I might try the leather ones.

carl