Lebron James' running form

Showing 1-22 of 22 messages
Lebron James' running form Henry L 3/4/11 9:55 AM
As we've discussed before, a photo can only tell so much about
someone's form, but I found this article on ESPN, and was refreshed to
see this discussion taking place on such a mainstream site.

Also, as a Knicks fan, it doesn't surprise me that Dwayne Wade is a
heel striker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and-dwyane-wade-run
Re: Lebron James' running form Highlander 3/4/11 10:01 AM
Huh. They've both bulked upper body and skinny legs, though LaBron
appears to have more calf as we'd expect.

With abandon,
Patrick
> http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and...
Re: Lebron James' running form steveM 3/4/11 10:33 AM
I can't divulge much, but I've been present when gait analysis has
been done on some top NBA players....and their mechanics are generally
horrible...completely horrible...it's no wonder some have such high
injury rates
> >http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and...- Hide quoted text -

Re: [Minimalist Runner:63673] Re: Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/4/11 11:05 AM
Spoken like a running coach.  You've got a bright future ahead of you, Steve.  A target-rich environment, as it were. ;)

--
"Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Huaraches, FiveFingers..."  hosted by Barefoot Ted

Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe

--
_________________________________
Tucker

Re: Lebron James' running form HHH 3/4/11 11:22 AM
"While they have not worked with NBA players (and they are frank that
they would love to) the Miami-based Romanovs are also basketball fans"

Yea, I'd be critical also to possibly expand my business . . . the
Romanovs see revenue potential :)

Harry

On Mar 4, 10:55 am, Henry L <lowenf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and...
Re: [Minimalist Runner:63682] Re: Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/4/11 11:25 AM
Yeah, but come on.  If it's not good to run that way when you're a runner, it's not good for anyone.  There's nothing about basketball that makes a heel strike a good idea...

(And I'm presuming that you haven't gotten to SteveM's post yet...)

--
"Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Huaraches, FiveFingers..."  hosted by Barefoot Ted

Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe
Re: Lebron James' running form HHH 3/4/11 11:25 AM
I'll keep my opinion to myself on this one given my background with
basketball.  I'm actually surprised, having played the sport, that
injury rates aren't higher.  A gait analysis is important but there's
so many other areas that need to be addressed regarding basketball
injuries.

Harry
> > >http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and...Hide quoted text -
Re: Lebron James' running form Nathan 3/4/11 1:17 PM
Needless to say, Basketball shoes are horribly over-cushioned and have
a massive heel.  Probably has a lot to do with the high ankle injury
rates (I always cringe when I see a player land from a jump on the
side of their foot and the massively-extended sole applies torquing
action).

I do remember, however, that in a dunk contest a couple years ago, a
player dunked without shoes (socks only).  This was supposed to be
impressive because the shoes are supposed to play a big role in aiding
the jump.  I wonder if that's true.  The extra inch or so could give
extra height, but who knows if someone really trained to jump barefoot
would do better.  Being barefoot sure makes it easier to tap into that
natural lower leg spring, which is essential for jumping.

-Nathan

On Mar 4, 2:25 pm, Tuck <tuck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, but come on.  If it's not good to run that way when you're a runner,
> it's not good for anyone.  There's nothing about basketball that makes a
> heel strike a good idea...
>
> (And I'm presuming that you haven't gotten to SteveM's post yet...)

Re: Lebron James' running form steveM 3/4/11 1:23 PM
This is not scientific at all...

But for my 7th grade( I think?) Science fair project.  I did 3 step
jump height in a comparison of shoes (BBall, running, cross-training,
and some slip on things) versus barefoot... Barefoot ended up giving
me the best jump height (meaning if you took out the inch or whatever
I was getting from the shoe giving me an extra inch of height).

I didn't quite understand it back then...but it makes sense to me
now.  I guess even back then I knew there had to be something to this
barefoot thing :).
> > Blog:http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -
Re: [Minimalist Runner:63719] Re: Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/4/11 1:24 PM
In 7th grade.  Too funny.
Re: Lebron James' running form gordo 3/4/11 1:28 PM
On Mar 4, 2:24 pm, Tuck <tuck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In 7th grade.  Too funny.

Rebel.

Gordo
Re: Lebron James' running form HHH 3/4/11 2:12 PM
Damn, you were a nerd . . . just kidding SteveM.. You know your are
the man.

I've made my point on basketball and barefoot and the movements in
basketball and very very different from running.  I can say this
having played basketball my whole life then picking up running later
in life.  In fact, my lateral (side to side) movement was excellent as
a b-ball player and now it sucks because I don't have time to practice
it and I don't need it as much for running obviously.  Shoes have
tremendous benefit in basketball.  What basketball needs is a lot more
strengthening, and less (or no) taped ankles (remember, most b-
ballers, including myself, played with a tape cast and then your ankle
weakens and is dependent on the tape).  A simpler b-ball shoe would be
excellent (I played with low tops as most high tops are ridiculous).

Like I said, I'm surprised there's not more injuries.

By the way SteveM, you may want to look this up but when I played in
college (20+ years ago :) they did some studies on which sport had the
best athletes, testing speed, quickness, hand eye coordination,
lateral movement, strength, etc. and b-basketball players won (I can't
remember but I think football players were second).

Harry
> > > Blog:http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/-Hide quoted text -
Re: [Minimalist Runner:63735] Re: Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/4/11 2:38 PM
"By the way SteveM, you may want to look this up but when I played in
college (20+ years ago :) they did some studies on which sport had the
best athletes, testing speed, quickness, hand eye coordination,
lateral movement, strength, etc. and b-basketball players won (I can't
remember but I think football players were second)."

I read a study like this a long time ago and they found that Formula 1 race car drivers were the best athletes.  Pretty counter-intuitive finding...  All depends on what traits you're looking for, I guess.

For my money I think the best athletes all-around have to be big-wall rock climbers...

Re: Lebron James' running form steveM 3/4/11 2:49 PM
Shoes are needed for BBall players for different reasons.  All I'm
saying is the guys Ive seen tested in the lab are horrible runners,
and they are not some 7ft tall unathletic center.  You got to figure
that the bad running mechanics put stress on athletes running up and
down the floor during games...

My bet for best athletes is the Decathletes.  Someone like Ashton
Eaton or Bryan Clay...

Of course it depends what you measure and consider athletic ability.

On Mar 4, 2:38 pm, Tuck <tuck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "By the way SteveM, you may want to look this up but when I played in
> college (20+ years ago :) they did some studies on which sport had the
> best athletes, testing speed, quickness, hand eye coordination,
> lateral movement, strength, etc. and b-basketball players won (I can't
> remember but I think football players were second)."
>
> I read a study like this a long time ago and they found that Formula 1 race
> car drivers were the best athletes.  Pretty counter-intuitive finding...
> All depends on what traits you're looking for, I guess.
>
> For my money I think the best athletes all-around have to be big-wall rock
> climbers...

> > --
> > "Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Huaraches, FiveFingers..."  hosted by
> > Barefoot Ted
>
> > Membership Options:http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe
>
> --
> _________________________________
> Tucker
>
> Blog:http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -
Re: Lebron James' running form Sonja 3/4/11 2:55 PM
I'm a little bit surprised. I thought that most people tended to
switch over to a forefoot strike for sprinting, and the running in
basketball is almost all sprinting.  In addition, I would think that
it would be easier to control a ball that must bounce in front of you
(more or less) if your feet are coming down directly below (forefoot
or midfoot strike) you rather than out in front of you (heel strike).

Sonja
> http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and...
Re: Lebron James' running form drunkmonckey 3/4/11 3:40 PM
On Mar 4, 4:55 pm, Sonja <sonjab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little bit surprised. I thought that most people tended to
> switch over to a forefoot strike for sprinting, and the running in
> basketball is almost all sprinting.

Hmm, I'm not a fan of pro basketball at all, but the few times I've
watched it recently, I'd say those overpaid tall folks were not doing
much more than a jog most of the time except for the fast breaks and
the taller they are, the more time they spent walking. I'd like to see
what the soccer players are doing in their thinner shoes and running
for a good part of 90min.
Re: Lebron James' running form HHH 3/4/11 8:26 PM
Exactly.  As a former point guard, myself and the other guards I grew
up my entire life playing with were all on our toes, dribbling the
ball and running fast breaks.  I find this subject quite amusing.
Again, the limits of science.  A trail or test and the results get
applied to the masses.

harry
Re: Lebron James' running form Luis Manuel 3/5/11 10:01 AM
And we complain about running shoes... Today I took my 10 year old kid
to purchase some basketball shoes, the hype, marketing and overall BS
is beyond ridiculous.  I ended up purchasing the cheapest, which were
surprisingly the most flexible, thin soled and light of all the
choices available. Feel free to comment:

http://www.sears.com.pr/shc/s/p_10165_26151_03685055000P?keyword=ruthless&sLevel=0&prop17=ruthless
Re: Lebron James' running form John (NoVa) 3/5/11 10:11 AM
For basketball shoes, you could also check out the skater-style shoes.  Many of these actually have a basketball background or borrow from basketball designs of 20 or 30 years ago (e.g. Nike Dunk or Converse All-Stars).  Not minimalist, but often much closer than what they call basketball shoes nowadays.  Not sure why but probably b/c the skaters are focusing more on balance instead of padding.
Re: [Minimalist Runner:63670] Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/5/11 10:25 AM
Skaters are also worried about being able to land without twisting an
ankle... They're constantly falling.

On Saturday, March 5, 2011, John (NoVa) <eil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For basketball shoes, you could also check out the skater-style shoes.  Many of these actually have a basketball background or borrow from basketball designs of 20 or 30 years ago (e.g. Nike Dunk or Converse All-Stars).  Not minimalist, but often much closer than what they call basketball shoes nowadays.  Not sure why but probably b/c the skaters are focusing more on balance instead of padding.
>

> --
> "Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Huaraches, FiveFingers..."  hosted by Barefoot Ted
>
> Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe

--
_________________________________
Tucker

Blog: http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/

Re: Lebron James' running form Luis Manuel 3/5/11 12:30 PM
Really good points John and Tuck. I tried pointing him towards all
stars but he does not want to go old school on this one. In any case,
I have wondered for a while if those types of shoes are the best
choice for skateboarding as their soles are very thick and stiff. Some
sort of Vibram I think would be much better.

Now, I really don't know whether high tops provide better support than
low tops nor whether what I bought him qualifies as either. Just
googled around and found this interesting article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3761462

I will try to do some additional reading, any comments would be
appreciated.

On Mar 5, 2:25 pm, Tuck <tuck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Skaters are also worried about being able to land without twisting an
> ankle... They're constantly falling.

Re: [Minimalist Runner:63670] Lebron James' running form Tuck 3/5/11 1:03 PM
Good article.

On 3/5/11, Luis Manuel &amp;amp;quot;Cavernicola&amp;amp;quot; Cid

More topics »