MapReduce, a discussion with Shu

Showing 1-13 of 13 messages
MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Kyle Oba 8/30/12 3:09 AM
New OUDL Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/dynamic/events/69285422/
Thursday, Sept. 6 @ 7pm, @ The Box Jelly

Come to a discussion of MapReduce, with Shu Chen.

A short discussion of any topics from the WWW, such as the Y combinator or Mandelbrot set, may proceed MapReduce, if there is sufficient interest.

MapReduce is a programming model for processing large data sets, and the name of an implementation of the model by Google. MapReduce is typically used to do distributed computing on clusters of computers.

The model is inspired by the map and reduce functions commonly used in functional programming, although their purpose in the MapReduce framework is not the same as their original forms.

MapReduce libraries have been written in many programming languages. A popular free implementation is Apache Hadoop.

Here's Hello World in MapReduce, on Google's App Engine.

If you like Big Data, or parallel, distributed programming, or Hadoop, or technical jargon that's sure to beef up your startup elevator pitch... well, if you like any of those, except the last one, come on out!

Re: [HI Cap] MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Bytemarks 8/30/12 8:01 AM
Is there any chance of doing a Google Hangout On Air of this talk? I would love to attend but I'll be in Missouri on 9/6.

Mahalo,
Burt

Sent from my iPad
--

Re: [HI Cap] MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Kyle Oba 9/2/12 12:50 PM
Perhaps we can get a volunteer to stream this on UStream?  I know that some of the past talks have gone this way.

*nudge* Jason and James...

Kyle
Re: [HI Cap] MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Bytemarks 9/2/12 9:53 PM
Even better if it is on Ustream. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Burt
> --

Re: [HI Cap] MapReduce, a discussion with Shu David Cornejo 9/2/12 10:08 PM
Is this event open to the public?

--

Re: [HI Cap] MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Matthew Badeau 9/3/12 1:43 AM
Yes, these are OUDL events and open to the public.

(Sent from my mobile device.)
--

unk...@googlegroups.com 9/4/12 12:10 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Kyle Oba 9/6/12 10:11 PM

Enjoy!
Re: [HI Cap] Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Roger Garrett 9/6/12 10:18 PM
That's not working. It indicates no such page.

In a message dated 9/6/2012 7:11:58 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time, kyl...@gmail.com writes:
We are starting a stream now on http://www.ustream.tv/hicapacity
Re: [HI Cap] Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Kyle Oba 9/6/12 10:23 PM
Sorry, here's the correct URL:
Re: [HI Cap] Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Bytemarks 9/11/12 9:32 PM
Kyle,
Was this webcast archived?

Thanks,
Burt
> --

Re: [HI Cap] Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Kyle Oba 9/23/12 2:46 AM
Thanks to Malcolm Mekaru's selfless devotion to the greater good, and all languages dynamic, OUDL videos have been published online at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/oudltv

Everyone please buy Malcolm a drink the next time you see him.
Re: [HI Cap] Re: MapReduce, a discussion with Shu Bytemarks 9/23/12 7:42 PM
Mahalo Malcolm, you are a real trooper. I'll be the first to buy you a drink.

Burt

Sent from my iPad