New Meetup: HNL Dynamic Languages

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
New Meetup: HNL Dynamic Languages Kyle Oba 4/20/12 2:56 PM
Announcing: A meetup for Honolulu-based dynamic programming language
enthusiasts

Dynamic language features, concepts, and implementations in multiple
languages will be presented in talks and workshops. All languages are
welcome, but this group will initially focus on: Objective-C, Haskell,
Python, Clojure, Ruby and Javascript.

All participants are encouraged to present some material. Topics will
be covered in talks and workshops by the members of this group.
Subjects will come from a cohesive set of dynamic language concepts.

This series of talks aims to bring discussion and learning of
interesting programming topics to Honolulu, not by importing speakers
or exporting programmers (to/from the mainland), but by harnessing and
growing our own talents locally.  Think of it a first-rate programming
conference, happening in slow motion, spread out across several
months.

Some manner of pastry will be served.

Please sign up on our meetup page to get involved:
http://www.meetup.com/dynamic

Talk #1: Objective-C - What makes it dynamic?
Tuesday - May 1, 2012 - 7pm
by Kyle Oba

Talk #2: Haskell - An introduction
Thursday - May 24, 2012 - 7pm
by Tim Newsham

These talks both take place at The Box Jelly
307c Kamani Street, inside Fishcake

Further planned talks:
- Functional Python - By Shu Zong Chen (mid to late June)
- Clojure - An intro, setup w/ Emacs, Slime, Leiningen - by Kyle (late
June, early July)

Please forward to anyone you think might be interested.

Thank you,
Kyle

Detailed descriptions of upcoming talks:

Talk #1:
- by Kyle Oba
Dynamic Languages - They're not just for Rubyists (and Pythonistas)...
Being the platform language for iOS development, Objective-C has
recently exploded in popularity (http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/
paperinfo/tpci/Objective-C.html
). One reason it makes developers so
productive is that it supports many dynamic programming concepts.

This talk will highlight the Objective-C runtime, and how it
implements some of the language's interesting and useful features
(message passing, key-value-observing, categories, etc).

Talk #2:
- by Tim Newsham
The Haskell programming language is unique, challenging and inspiring.
Haskell is notable for its strong, static type system, its "lazy"
evaluation and its adherence to strict functional purity.  Programming
in Haskell is very different from programming in C- and Lisp-like
languages most programmers are familiar with.  Simply learning Haskell
can be a mind-expanding experience.

In this talk we will get a glimpse of Haskell, discuss what makes it
unique and compare its features with those in other languages.
Re: [HI Cap] New Meetup: HNL Dynamic Languages Jason Axelson 4/20/12 11:45 PM
Cool, that sounds like lots of fun! I'll be sure to see you there.

Jason

Re: New Meetup: HNL Dynamic Languages Daniel Bui 4/24/12 2:12 PM
I'll try to make it. Though, I might still be recovering from Startup Weekend.