GQueues and GTD

Showing 21-78 of 78 messages
GQueues and GTD Cameron 8/12/10 10:07 AM
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Kristen Heck 8/22/10 9:25 PM
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

This is exactly the thing I have been looking for to get organized.
Finding this just made my day...heck, my week!

Rest assured, I will be spreading the word....
Re: GQueues and GTD David 9/3/10 4:57 AM
Ditto. Looks like a great solution. Love it!
Re: GQueues and GTD Chris Orme 7/12/11 2:49 AM
Thanks for the video, it has helped me GTDify my GQueues a bit more.

One simple (?) thing that would be really helpful to GTDers is if "projects" (i.e. tasks with subtasks) could be selected when creating a smart queue.  Then it would be easy as pie to have a current projects list.  As it is I try to to remember always to add a "project" tag, but this always feels tedious and a slightly messy work-around.
Re: GQueues and GTD Christopher Sophys 7/14/11 2:01 AM
Thank you for this useful video

On 12 juil, 11:49, christopher.o...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the video, it has helped me GTDify my GQueues a bit more.
>
> One simple (?) thing that would be *really *helpful to GTDers is if
Re: GQueues and GTD htownhman 8/19/11 1:28 PM
The way I have dealt with this is that one of my main queues is called "projects", and all projects are individual queues in this area, and actions are subtasks in the queues.
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/19/11 1:28 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: GQueues and GTD Viktoriya Zaripova 9/1/11 2:26 AM
Yes it is great and I also tried to organize such a descision. The problem is that name of queue is limited
Re: GQueues and GTD Phillip Wilson 9/11/11 2:59 AM
Thank you, this is exactly what I have been searching for. Love it and will tell all my friends about it. I have already purchased the premium version.
GQueues and GTD Jon Groves 9/26/11 12:55 PM
Thanks for making such a great video. It was actually my introduction
to GTD.  I am wondering how most people capture in to gqueues, I
understand there are many ways... web mobile email ect. what seemes to
be working the best?
Re: GQueues and GTD mtu...@impexlinks.com 11/7/11 8:38 PM
Well done!
it looks like a wonderful app. I just signed up, but it looks like you have almost everything that I was looking for in a task management system.
Since I am more familiar to Time Manager (more European version of GTD), my take is more like project management type of task planning.
I intend to use almost the opposite way:
I am planning to use Tags for labeling the type of tasks i.e."Project", "Object", "Step", "Task", "Subtask" or lowest level :SNAs ("@call", "@computer", "@office", "1:1 John" etc)
Now, it would be wonderful:
  • If I could color code the types (Tags) so I could identify at a glance, what kind of action is my next step. Either in highlighting the tag or coloring one part of the task box.
  • If we have a link field where we can link our contacts (like "call Emma" and there is the contact info)
  • If we link googledocs  like Review the contract and there is the link to contract

Thanks anyways
I guess I'll try for a while and then transfer my brain to
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 11/8/11 1:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  Right now you can manually paste in links to Google Docs into the task notes if that's helpful.

Screen shot 2011-10-30 at 12.01.20 PM.png

-Cameron

Re: GQueues and GTD sirmo...@gmail.com 11/15/11 8:16 PM
I think you are overcomplicating the process. There are loads of to do list products that function the way you are talking about. The absolute beauty of Gqueues is it's simplicity.  I would hate to see it get bogged down with too many extra features.
Re: GQueues and GTD sirmo...@gmail.com 11/15/11 8:22 PM
+1 for the project selection idea.  It is a terrific solution to the one problem I have had with GQueues (other than remembering the correct number of vowels when typing it)

An alternative that I came up with is to give the ability for a task to be dragged into the bottom of a category and convert the information into a new Q (abbreviated :)  Of course this would require also the ability to add a due date to a Q. I like the Projects smart Q idea much better. PLEASE do it - and thanks for a great product.
Re: GQueues and GTD MT 11/15/11 9:43 PM
Thanks for info. Linking the docs works fine. I can survive without
linking g/contacts.

On the other hand:
Your mobile /android version have better looking interface (less
color) . Can we have "no color" option (or simply white) for Qs.

On Nov 8, 4:22 pm, "Cameron (GQueues Team)" <came...@gqueues.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  Right now you can manually paste in links to
> Google Docs into the task notes if that's helpful.
>
> [image: Screen shot 2011-10-30 at 12.01.20 PM.png]
>
> -Cameron
>

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM, <mtul...@impexlinks.com> wrote:
> > Well done!
> > it looks like a wonderful app. I just signed up, but it looks like you
> > have almost everything that I was looking for in a task management system.
> > Since I am more familiar to Time Manager (more European version of GTD),
> > my take is more like project management type of task planning.
> > I intend to use almost the opposite way:
> > I am planning to use Tags for labeling the type of tasks i.e."Project",
> > "Object", "Step", "Task", "Subtask" or lowest level :SNAs ("@call",
> > "@computer", "@office", "1:1 John" etc)
> > Now, it would be wonderful:
>
> >    - If I could color code the types (Tags) so I could identify at a
> >    glance, what kind of action is my next step. Either in highlighting the tag
> >    or coloring one part of the task box.
> >    - If we have a link field where we can link our contacts (like "call
> >    Emma" and there is the contact info)
> >    - If we link googledocs  like Review the contract and there is the
> >    link to contract
>
> > Thanks anyways
> > I guess I'll try for a while and then transfer my brain to
>
> > --
> >http://groups.google.com/group/gqueues?hl=en.
>

>  Screen shot 2011-10-30 at 12.01.20 PM.png
> 17KViewDownload
Re: GQueues and GTD bjorn seo 3/7/12 9:02 PM
how to add ques or items on inbox
Re: GQueues and GTD Verdi Heinz 6/6/12 1:31 AM
Suggestion: It would be nice if you could choose this layout/config as a template. Maybe even have user generated templates that users can share with each other.
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 6/6/12 7:41 AM
Great idea, I'll add it to the list.  -Cameron

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Verdi Heinz <ver...@gmail.com> wrote:
Suggestion: It would be nice if you could choose this layout/config as a template. Maybe even have user generated templates that users can share with each other.

Re: GQueues and GTD damia...@gmail.com 6/29/12 12:02 PM
I could be wrong but I followed your setup and there is no way to link task from a Project back to the project unless you use a tag.  The problem with this is that I have over 50+ projects.  I do not want to create 50+ tags to manage them.

Is there a way to look at your Next Actions and determine what project a task belongs too?   I don't want to modify the title of task by adding the parent project name.  This is a hack and looks bad.

Just asking.
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/4/12 6:15 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: GQueues and GTD Anton Chevychalov 9/20/12 3:15 AM
+1 to this message. I have the same problem. When you want to organized "next action" list you can't use tags, because you lose priority (there is no way to move task inside tag). So I have to use queue with name "next actions". But task can't be in two queues in the same time, so I have to use tags for projects and I faced with two new problem. First one that I have a lots of projects, and the second that again I lose priority of task inside the project. So I have to used complex way to hold project (as in video) or move all project to "next action" queue (but It can be 50 steps in this project).

It seems to me that there are two way to solve this. First one is creation of special type of queue "next action", something like calendar without time :D. The second one is allow for task to be in two queues in same time.

And one more problem. Sometimes I need task be sent back to inbox (to think one more time about its nature) but there no way for it.

On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:02:03 PM UTC+4, damia...@gmail.com wrote:
I could be wrong but I followed your setup and there is no way to link task from a Project back to the project unless you use a tag.  The problem with this is that I have over 50+ projects.  I do not want to create 50+ tags to manage them.

Is there a way to look at your Next Actions and determine what project a task belongs too?   I don't want to modify the title of task by adding the parent project name.  This is a hack and looks bad.

Just asking.

Re: GQueues and GTD SH 10/4/12 9:42 AM
I tried to address this issue with a suggestion which would enable this and many other scenarios: https://www.gqueues.com/forum?place=topic%2Fgqueues%2FelYZX3eURXY%2Fdiscussion .

I didn't get much response and not sure if it is clear, but I think some enhancements to smartqueues rather than regular queues would address most of these issues.
Re: GQueues and GTD Jason 10/5/12 8:55 AM
Cameron,

I just watched the video and am really interested in using the system.  I have tried different methods in the past (Word, Excel, GMail Task, etc...) but still fall back to trusted paper in folders.

The three comments I need help with are:

1. 99% of my tasks are for projects.  I need to a way to keep the task and subtasks in the Project queues that I have (I have a project Category, then Projects as queues) while getting a view of the tasks as Next Actions by date (similar 43 folders).  I would then be able to focus on the tasks at hand and be able to trust the system that tasks and subtasks are where they should be.

I want to keep them together so I have can see the total project.  But also want to filter it down so I can GTD.

PS - I don't focus on tasks in the context of where I am at.

2.  Related to 1, I need a suggestion on due dates versus starting a task or following up on a task.  Many tasks can be completed the day they are due, some can't.  Do I add tasks that have me initiate the task?  What about follow up tasks (sometimes I have a task to call, but get to VM and need to follow up another time)?

3.  My test of Gqueues is if this is as reliable as me typing a list out in Word, putting notes in my 43 folders, and being able to write down tasks anywhere at anytime.  I have to be at a PC or device to tap out a task.  Thoughts on why GQueues is as good or better?

TIA

Jason

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:07:57 PM UTC-5, Cameron wrote:
Re: GQueues and GTD Kenneth Aar 10/8/12 6:12 AM

This is a short write up of how I use Gqueues.com for GTD.

Categories

Each area of responsibility gets it's own category
Horizons of focus get a category
Checklists get a category
And errands gets a category

Queues

Under categories I assign a queue to each project

Tasks and subtasks

Under each queue I assign subprojects and tasks

Tags

I use tags to track different aspects of my tasks

Statuses start with a !

Examples:
- ! (Means next action)
- !wf (Waiting for)
- !gtb (Get back to)
- !project  (Handy for seeing all projects in one list and being able to add next actions during the weekly review if somethings have been overlooked.

Context start with @

Examples:
- @laptop
- @office
- @phone

Errands start with €

Examples:
- €postoffice
- €foodstore
- €hardwarestore

People start with &
In addition I have a list of peoples added that start with &. I use one for each person who depends on me or where I depend on them for something. Adding the !wf (waiting for) or !gtb according to wether I should get back to them when something is done or if I am waiting for them to do something.

Examples:

I have also made a smartlist for each tag that I have, so can acces all my tags on the phone via gqueues.com/m

On the phone I have added GqueuesInbox for quick adding to my inbox.

In Gmail I have added the chrome plugin and If I don't have a queue set up for a project already I just add the !project tag, forward the email to gqueues and flesh out the project details in my gqueues inbox. Then I move it to its own queue or add it as a subproject to an excisting queue.

This setup has been pruned and perfected for maybe two years now and has worked very well for me the last couple of months.

I hope it can help someone else implement GTD in Gqueues. Feedback is very much appreciated.
Re: GQueues and GTD Alexandr Molin 10/8/12 7:47 AM
Kenneth, hello!
you have an interesting method of GTD. You wrote: "On the phone I have added GqueuesInbox for quick adding to my inbox".
Now in the mobile version I can't find the button to add the task to the Inbox. I do not understand how add tasks to the Inbox in mobile version? Can explain in more detail?

Alexandr M.
Re: GQueues and GTD Kenneth Aar 10/8/12 10:31 AM
I use GqueuesInbox which is an Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=leoliang.gqueuesinbox&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImxlb2xpYW5nLmdxdWV1ZXNpbmJveCJd

It is pretty self explanatory to me. The problem with adding tasks from the inbox in the mobile version is a know bug (I think).

Kenneth
Re: GQueues and GTD Al 10/11/12 6:35 AM
I like your approach! Separately, I came to a similar conclusion:
https://www.gqueues.com/forum?place=topic%2Fgqueues%2F5Yy23-KPTzk%2Fdiscussion

How do you define the difference between "Horizons of focus" and "Areas of responsibility"? Or does "Horizon of focus" only include the actions to ensure the vertical integration/map.
Re: GQueues and GTD Kenneth Aar 10/26/12 6:18 AM
There is an error here.

I use § for people or else the people get to high up in my list of tags...

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:07:57 PM UTC+2, Cameron wrote:
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Kenneth Aar 10/26/12 6:20 AM
I am afraid I don't quite understand your question.

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:35:16 PM UTC+2, Al wrote:

How do you define the difference between "Horizons of focus" and "Areas of responsibility"? Or does "Horizon of focus" only include the actions to ensure the vertical integration/map.
Re: GQueues and GTD Frankie Dlouhán 1/6/13 10:27 AM
Hey,

i'm advanced GTD user for few years and now i find this thing and its awesome for me! just what i needed :-)

But i have a question for some details:

How do you for example handle with waiting for: tags are great, but sometimes i cant have it in task list so i must have two lists about it
1. smart queue for tag
2. my queue

This is not a problem, but where i see a problem is that i still have to check both folders!

Same problem i have with do today (my name for due today). I have same task to do so i tag them as DoToday, but i have also some task with today date as deadline. So again I have to check two folders
1. smart queue with tag today
2. smart queue with  today date

How do you handle this. I know that people use GTD many many ways and that is brilliant about it. So somebody who can help?

Thank you

Frankie

Dne čtvrtek, 12. srpna 2010 19:07:57 UTC+2 Cameron napsal(a):
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 1/6/13 11:05 AM
Hi Frankie -

You can setup a smart queue to filter for a date OR a tag.  For instance, I have one called "Today's Agenda" that pulls all tasks that are overdue, due today OR are tagged with the tag "today".

Inline image 1

Hope this helps,
Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Frankie Dlouhán 1/6/13 11:37 AM
Perfect!

That solves a lot of things inclluding making large projects in GQueues.

Thank you a lot Cameron. You rock! :-D

Frankie

Dne neděle, 6. ledna 2013 20:05:15 UTC+1 Cameron (GQueues) napsal(a):
Re: GQueues and GTD Frankie Dlouhán 1/6/13 11:48 AM
Cameron I have one more question,

is there possibility to have smart queue with tasks from my specific queue and from task with tags from my entire account? This will solve problem with witing for I have written above... as well as with large projects (i have my queue for project but also tagged tasks all over my account and this can helo to see all tasks at one place...).

Thank you for your time

Frankie

Dne neděle, 6. ledna 2013 20:05:15 UTC+1 Cameron (GQueues) napsal(a):
Hi Frankie -
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 1/14/13 8:43 AM
Hi Frankie -

Sorry, right now you can't create a smart queue to show tasks from a specific category OR tagged with a certain tag.  However, this is possible with the new search functionality (and searches saved as smart queues).  See here for how to join as a search beta tester:

-Cameron

--

Re: GQueues and GTD Andrew Davis 1/31/13 4:19 PM
I have a sort of "best practice" question...

ISSUE

Historically I've used "tags" in GQueues to manage my task "timing" context. My tags are called:
- 1-Now
- 2-Next
- 3- Soon
- 4-Later
- 5-Someday
- 6-Waiting

"Timing" is the context I use most. It's also the one I modify most for each task.

Pros of current approach:
Main one is that I can have the one task stored in context as part of a project plan (i.e. I have a Category called Projects with a separate Queue for each project). In the queue for an individual project (e.g. Project X) I can then list all the project tasks hierarchically in whatever way makes sense to me. I treat it as my "project plan". I can then apply my timing tags so that individual tasks appear in my Smart Queues that have been created to display tasks with those tags.

Cons of current approach:
My main issue is that, using tags, whenever I want to update the timing, there are a couple of steps involved: add another tag (which I can do via keyboard) and delete the pre-existing tag (which I need to do with the mouse, I think).

COMMENTS

I'm wondering if there's a better approach.

One option is to create a Category called Timing and create a Queue for each of my timing contexts. This would make it easier for me to update the timing for any given task. However, it means I'd give up on being able to structure my tasks in a "project plan".

Another option (that doesn't exist at the moment) would be if we could create different types of tags. So, for example, if I had the concept of a tag of type multiple choice, I could then create a "Timing" tag with my 6 timing choices, and then to change things I could simply click on the tag to display the other options and click the one I want. The benefit of this approach is that I'd still be able to structure my tasks in a "project plan".

QUESTION

What are your thoughts/suggestions re the above?

Thanks, Andrew
Re: GQueues and GTD Jakub Stejskal 1/31/13 5:20 PM
Hi Andrew,

this is very interestin aproach. Its fascinating how can evereone have unique GTD system...

If you are working on lot of large projects, this seems really lie very good aproach i think. For me - I more like create more categories and then i set priority of tasks. On my weekle review i try to manage this task for my next week. So i use two types of tags only. One type is gener tags (do today, waiting, weekplan) and second is tags of projects (project y,...). So if i have some call i have to make today, and it one of task of project x i put it in to category calls and label it project x and do toady... but sometimes i eventuelly label it only today i  use tags for project only with very large projects...

I try to have my system very easy and try not to spent time with organizing but with doing something :-) But i have to spent some time every day to make some day plan and every week to make review and plan for next week...

But timing is very interesting and i think that really depends on type of work. Everybody customize their system on type of work and type of live...

Frankie

2013/2/1 Andrew Davis <and...@boxless.com.au>

Re: GQueues and GTD Andrew Davis 1/31/13 5:48 PM
Hi Frankie

Thanks for your comment. I agree - it is amazing the different ways we all adopt (and adapt) GTD. And just as amazing is the flexibility and ease of use that GQueues provides to support everyone's unique requirements.

Kind regards

Andrew

--
Andrew Davis
0410 410 520

Boxless - the way IT should be
Re: GQueues and GTD Frankie Dlouhán 1/31/13 6:07 PM
Yes, I agree as well that GQueues are really excelent for flexibility and using. I tried to use my gtd in gdocs, evernote, toodledo but GQueues are much better :-) And technology in this world are such amazin and provide us so many thinks to make life easier and funnier :-)

Have a good times on the other side of world are and thanks for your ideas.

Frankie (antipode from Prague :-))

2013/2/1 Andrew Davis <and...@boxless.com.au>

Re: GQueues and GTD Jeff Long 2/2/13 2:46 AM
Cameron,

I really like GQueues. I would like to be a beta tester for the iOS app. Thank you, Jeff

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:07:57 PM UTC-5, Cameron wrote:
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Michael Nelson Rizzo 2/4/13 5:08 AM
Kenneth. I appreciate the detail you went into with your method of using GQueues. I starred it as a reference. I just found GQueues and have setup my system over a week ago in a similar fashion to you. I was stuck in Basecamp for over 5 years. After researching other PM systems for 6 months, I felt other systems like Podio, ProjectTurf and other big ones were overkill or not intuitive (which is important for freelancers or my clients on projects) and I happened across GQueues. I'm stoked about it. Your level of PM understanding and labeling is apparent and I think any efficient system needs rules and methods of doing things. Getting started in "best practices" usually involves a learning curve but anyone concentrating on how your method works would be greatly served. If you made some screenshots and step by steps, maybe Cameron could start a section > "How others use GQueues." Thanks again. ~ Michael

On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:12:33 AM UTC-4, Kenneth Aar wrote:

[...]

Re: GQueues and GTD Kyuwon Choi 4/3/13 6:50 AM
Thanks for the great software!
One thing I would really like to have the swift scroll when you use keyboard. When I have tasks more than one page and want to scroll them using my keyboard button down-arrow, it scrolls too slow. May be it would be nice if you can change the scrolling feature like Google Tasks https://mail.google.com/tasks/canvas. Thank you!

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:07:57 PM UTC-4, Cameron wrote:
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Steve Long 4/23/13 11:09 AM
I'm just new with GQ and trying to figure out the best way to set it up.  Sounds to me like the search functionality is going to bring some significant functionality to this great product.   Can't wait to see how it works out.
Re: GQueues and GTD Mike Wilday 4/24/13 8:32 AM
Why wait? .

Search is still in beta right now.  See here for how to join the beta tester group and get early access:
Re: GQueues and GTD James Clough 11/8/13 8:35 AM
As others have suggested, moving subtasks from projects to context queues and using tags to associate them with their projects is awkward and error-prone.  It's easy to forget and lose the project association.

I'm actually doing it the other way around.  In my Projects queue, I create one top-level task for each project, with subtasks for the actions to be performed.  I then use tags for @Work, @Home, @Computer, @Calls, @Anywhere to mark where tasks can be done.  I have a search-based smart queue that shows every task with a tag, grouped by tag to see my next actions.

This has a couple of advantages:
  1. The subtasks stay associated with their projects, so I can always tell what I'm working on, I can always tell the status of the project's subtasks, and when I archive the project, the subtasks are still associated with it and I can refer to the notes attached to them in the future.
  2. I can plan out a project by entering tasks that can't be performed yet.  Maybe I know I'll need to perform some action, but I can't yet because I'm still waiting for something else to happen.  I just don't add a tag to the task until it's ready to be performed.

Re: GQueues and GTD Russ Collins 1/13/14 12:53 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. I was struggling trying to use a tag and a subtask to represent a project. I am moving my contexts to be tags now and making a queue for each project I have. It seems like less maintenance so far.
Re: GQueues and GTD Mikael Jakobsson 5/19/14 12:53 AM
GQueues is really great for GTD.

As you all probably know, the main challenge with GTD in any tool is how to organize tasks into projects and areas of improvement, without losing track of what task belongs where, after you assign a context.

Sure, tags do solve this, provided you remember to tag your tasks properly. (I personally have a major problem with this..)

I'd like to re-emphasize a suggestion originally made by Chris Orme in this thread.

A "project" is per definition in GTD a task with subtasks. Therefore, it would be GREAT if the search and/or the smart queue filters could support the property "hasSubtasks".

With this functionality supported the GTD weekly review would be very simple, since it would be easy to find every active project, and make sure there are next actions (eg tasks tagged with a context) for each project.

This simple thing would make gqueues quite uniquely GTD friendly compared to ANY other task tool that I have found.

And... a big thank you Cameron, for doing a great job with a great tool.

regards,

Mikael Jakobsson
Re: GQueues and GTD Lewis Dexter Litanzios 5/19/14 6:28 AM
Hey Mikael,

I tend to only have a maximum of 5 projects (i.e. a task with subtasks) on at any one time (5 home and 5 work; 10 in total). These are located in a Project queue.

Every week I put all tasks from my Project and Next action queues into Someday/maybe. Then, based on David Allen's prioritisation principles (i.e. context > time > energy > priority) I will mentally re-prioritise and put back tasks with sub-tasks into Project and [single] tasks into Next actions.

As I don't have a million projects on at any one time I can generally easily see what my next action is; and using this ordering hack:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gqueues/aZOvajEU7XE/R5lMvUduOQwJ

I agree, managing/maintaining tags can be a pain, so I don't use them for this purpose. There's certainly an argument for using "Next action" tags on next action project sub-tasks though - I may try it.

Would love to hear everyone else's tips on managing project tasks

Regards,

ldexterldesign
ldexterldesign logo
Lewis Dexter Litanzios
Web Designer & Developer
ma...@ldexterldesign.co.uk
+44 7504 907 304
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 5/19/14 8:18 AM
Hi Mikael -

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll put adding a "hasSubtasks" field on the list of improvements for search.  Are you thinking this would return true if a task had any kind of subtasks, or only active subtasks?

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Dane Waund 5/19/14 10:12 PM

Cameron,

I've continued to try and adapt your ever improving product to work with my GTD needs.  I very much appreciate the personal and quick follow up it seems you offer your users.

The main GTD challenge for most of us seems to be project management.  I've taken the lead suggested by James and echoed by Russ, and turned part of your demo implementation on its side -- setting up project categories (work, personal, charity/service) with a queue for each project (20-30 for work, 5-10 each for personal and charity), and individual actions steps as best I can plan them within the queues -- with labels on each action for contexts where they can best be done (calls, @computer, on plane, etc.).

For me the most powerful part of GTD is to be sure there is a clearly defined next action in place for each and every project - to keep them moving forward.  I use the weekly review to verify this.

As my tool,  I now use your Smart Queue functionality, selecting "next actions", "first task", and the project category -- to create a Smart Queue view which quickly allows me to review the status and update where needed each week.  It's clean and pretty simple.

One potential feature that would help me with this implementation would be the ability to add logic allowing multiple queue categories to be selected, instead of limiting it to only a single category.

For example:

Smart Queue Settings
Name:  Overall Project Review
Type:  next actions
Include ...
the first   task  from    -- Work Projects --   AND  -- Personal Projects --  AND -- Charity Work --

Thanks for reading.  I'm interested to hear if others attack it differently ...

Dane Waund

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:07:57 PM UTC-4, Cameron wrote:
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron

This message and any attachments is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any copying, dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, by a person who is not the named addressee is prohibited. We use virus scanning software but disclaim any liability for viruses or other devices which remain in this message or any attachments.
*******************************
Ce message, ainsi que toute piece jointe, est exclusivement adresse au(x) destinataire(s) nomme(s) et peut contenir des informations confidentielles. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'emetteur. Toute copie, transmission ou divulgation, integrale ou partielle, par une personne qui n'est pas nommee comme destinataire est interdite. Nous utilisons un logiciel anti-virus mais nous denions toute responsabilite au cas ou des virus, ou tout autre procede, seraient contenus dans ce message ou toute piece jointe.
Re: GQueues and GTD Dennelle Taylor Nizoux 5/20/14 8:01 AM
I have the same question, actually. If you have
1) categories for each area of responsibility (e.g. Family), and
2) queues for each project in that category (e.g. Mom's birthday, Genealogy, Archive photos, etc.), and
3) tasks as discrete next actions for each project, and
4) a category called Horizons, with
5) queues for Runway, 10,000 ft, 20,000 ft, etc., then
6) then what kind of tasks do you put in those Horizon queues?

It seems like they would overlap with the Area of Responsibility project queues... (i.e. you may have a 30,000 ft goal of plotting out your entire family tree, which is a project in your Family area of responsibility)

Thanks for your insight!
Dennelle
Re: GQueues and GTD Mikael Jakobsson 5/20/14 8:43 AM
Wonderful news!

I think hasSubtasks definitely should return ALL tasks with subtasks. There are only two reason a project would be empty of active tasks:
a) The project is complete. Then the project should be listed so the project can be marked as completed.
b) No tasks have been defined after all predefined has been completed. Then the project should be listed so that additional tasks can be added.

/Mikael
Re: GQueues and GTD Mikael Jakobsson 5/20/14 2:08 PM
There is a confusion in terminology here.

The term "horizon" is used in GTD as an indicator of the different levels.
The runway is one horizon, the 10k level is one horizon (projects), the 50k level is another (Purpose & Core values), etc

This means some horizons are not easily captured in a task tool, and are not meant to be.
In other words, if you have a "Projects" category, that IS your 10k horizon and there is no need for a 10k queue.
The runway is all the tasks you manage on a daily basis, etc.

Hope that clarifies things,

/Mikael
Re: GQueues and GTD Dennelle Taylor Nizoux 5/21/14 12:05 AM
Yes, I agree with your take on it Mikael, which is why I didn't understand why Kenneth had separate categories in GQueues for the horizons (sorry, I thought I replied to an earlier post, but it didn't copy on my question).

Thanks,
Dennelle
Re: GQueues and GTD Lewis Dexter Litanzios 5/26/14 9:31 AM
Hey,

Out of interest how are people managing their 30-50,000ft horizons?

It's something I usually reflect on/address during my annual review, but I haven't got a formal system for the "Horizons of focus" part of the GTD mythology yet (for me things just tend to find their way into Someday/maybe list eventually and work up through the ecosystem):
  1. Next actions = runway/10,000ft
  2. Projects = 10-20,000ft
  3. Someday/maybe = 20-30,000ft

Yours hopefully,

ldexterldesign
ldexterldesign logo
Lewis Dexter Litanzios
Web Designer & Developer
ma...@ldexterldesign.co.uk
+44 7504 907 304
Re: GQueues and GTD Gauwain 5/27/14 2:57 PM
I need a suggestion handling my daily tasks.

Say, I set up a task to check the company Facebook page daily.
This is a recurring task, tagged #!today #repeat - daily.

Because it's tagged #!today it shows in my Today's Agenda perfectly. When I finish it and click it off, it still appears in Today's Agenda, due tomorrow.

I would really like to exclude tasks with a due date in the future from my Today's Agenda. I could chose: 'with date, from the beginning of time to the end of today', but that would exclude non-dated tasks.

Is an exclusion in the Smart Queues on the horizon? Or is there a smarter way to solve this?

Kind regards,
Gauwain

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:07:57 PM UTC+2, Cameron wrote:
Many GQueues users follow the GTD methodology - David Allen's system
"Getting Things Done."  For newcomers to GQueues or GTD, I have
created a demo video which shows one way you might use GQueues with
the GTD productivity system.

http://www.gqueues.com/GTD

Obviously this is not the only way, and a number of you have already
figured out how you like to use the two together.  Feel free to share
with others how you've setup GTD in GQueues, tricks you've discovered
and other useful tips.

-Cameron
Re: GQueues and GTD Cameron (GQueues) 5/27/14 3:03 PM
Hi Gauwain -

I would suggest something like the settings below, where it includes tasks due today OR tasks tagged with "today".

Then for your repeating "facebook" task, just put a due date on it and set it as repeating and do NOT tag it "today".  Then it won't appear if you've already completed it today.

Does this help?

-Cameron

Re: GQueues and GTD Reid Curry 5/27/14 3:47 PM
I have a similar situation and I have created and use saved searches.  I am hoping it will show up in iOS in the near future.

Reid Curry
Re: GQueues and GTD Gauwain 5/28/14 2:03 AM
Yes yes yes! That does it exactly!

Cameron, you're a saint!
That was exactly what I was looking for. Hadn't found the OR function yet.

Thanks a mil

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:03:11 AM UTC+2, Cameron (GQueues) wrote:
Hi Gauwain -

I would suggest something like the settings below, where it includes tasks due today OR tasks tagged with "today".

Then for your repeating "facebook" task, just put a due date on it and set it as repeating and do NOT tag it "today".  Then it won't appear if you've already completed it today.

Does this help?

-Cameron

More topics »