Howto count number of user followers from php API ?

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Sebastien Peterson 2/25/12 4:43 AM
Hi ,
anybody would have an example to query numbers of followers of a Google plus account, using php API client?.. or other way?

In advance, thanks,
Seb
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Martin Matysiak 2/25/12 5:20 AM
Hi Sebastien,

unfortunately, the API does not provide that kind of information (yet?). That means, you did nothing wrong, it's just not possible to get the follower count through the Google+ API. Feel free to follow the appropriate issues in the Official Issue Tracker, though, if you want to get notified when something changes.
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Sebastien Peterson 2/25/12 5:37 AM
Thanks Martin.
Obviously people are doing this.
Are they parsing html content and counting profile followers like that ??

Cheers,
Seb
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? scotthuan 2/29/12 9:47 PM
IT's an alternative to parse the HTML content,  however we will get more than we need from the HTML page.
The better way is that G+ can provide us with such api,  it's a shame that it hasn't provided that until now.

Regards
Scott

在 2012年2月25日星期六UTC+8下午9时37分21秒,Sebastien Peterson写道:

在 2012年2月25日星期六UTC+8下午9时37分21秒,Sebastien Peterson写道:
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Sebastien Peterson 4/29/12 2:29 PM
I managed to parse the HTML.
Since the new version of google+, followers count is not published in html anymore but printed with a javascript call.

Anybody would have the trick to retrieve the follower count via php/curl/ .. ?

Cheers,
Seb

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:47:03 AM UTC+1, scotthuan wrote:
IT's an alternative to parse the HTML content,  however we will get more than we need from the HTML page.
The better way is that G+ can provide us with such api,  it's a shame that it hasn't provided that until now.

Regards
Scott

在 2012年2月25日星期六UTC+8下午9时37分21秒,Sebastien Peterson写道:
Thanks Martin.
Obviously people are doing this.
Are they parsing html content and counting profile followers like that ??

Cheers,
Seb

Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Jenny Murphy 4/30/12 4:23 PM
Hi,

I'd strongly recommend against scraping any content as an alternative to the official APIs. Not only is it against our developer policies, but it also results in an incredibly brittle implementation. Changes to the UI could break your code without warning.

~~Jenny
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Christopher Ryan 5/9/12 8:27 PM
So is an official API tool for this in the works? We'd love to be able to do basic activity-volume tracking, such as the number of posts a user has made, the number of replies, and the number of people following an account. Thanks.
Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Jenny Murphy 5/10/12 8:22 AM
Hi Christopher,

Upcoming releases is one thing that we don't really talk about. We are tracking a feature request for count circled by and circling, though. If you star the request you'll be notified when it's updated.

As for the other things you mention. You can track public activity volume and the interactions upon those posts. The existing API allows you to list public activities as well as see the comments, +1's and reshares related to those activities.

Cheers,
Jenny

Re: Howto count number of user followers from php API ? Martijn Coenen 6/18/12 6:14 AM
Very interesting - from my viewpoint as developer of web based applications -  to read that such a basic functionality for a major player in the social media world hasn't been implemented in the API. It's a common question for a user during his or her daily life on a network: "Who do I follow, who is following me?" I can understand the need, as developer, to supply only a read-only API. Perfectly fine for the time-being. But the lacking of of the most fundamental feature, seems a bit strange. "Who am I sharing with?"

I do hope this will be implemented in the (near) future. Until then I'll keep explaining to customers they can't use G+ for any of the web based applications regarding interaction because it's not ready except for may be a login with their Google Account or something like that.

Best regards,

Martijn Coenen
the Netherlands