Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image

Showing 1-14 of 14 messages
Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image John Colbert 5/7/12 10:00 PM
I've gone through painful lengths to get the +1 button to select the correct image on my site.  I've followed all the documentation, inserted meta tags on each of my article pages, confirmed those worked; and, then went through all the article images on my site and created thumbnails at the required sizes.  The meta image tag pointed to the thumbnail.

Despite all my efforts to spoon feed the +1 button the image it wants, it refuses to accept it and continues to choose other random images from the page.

I've removed the +1 button and all related code from my site until this feature is fixed; however, if there is anything that you think I may have missed please let me know.

You can view the website in question at www.americanwomenmedia.com, and just look at the different article pages "Hot Topics", "Career", "Family", etc.  Each one has just one image for which I made a small cropped or resized thumbnail to point the button at.  I was placing the +1 button directly over the image.

I would love to use this feature, but not if it's going to confuse my users.

Please let me know if you think there is anything else I can do to make it work.

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Mary O'Connor 5/8/12 1:28 AM
Hi,

I feel your pain. I too spent an embarrassingly long time getting the image to show in the +1. I didn't give up though. I eventually discovered how to get it to show up.

I didn't use the meta tags in the end. The google+ share uses the first image on the page that meets the minimum size requirements. Make sure that it the first image on the page. If it's not the first image on the page and it's not the right size then it won't work for you. Get it working in test mode first.

I hope this is of help.

Regards,

Mary
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image John Colbert 5/8/12 1:58 PM
Thanks for the help Mary.  It's unfortunate but the long and short of it is that you're right, I will not be able to use this on my site.  Perhaps soon Google will rework this thing so it works better with the meta tags.  The strange thing is that the other meta items are picked up perfectly, but they did this odd development with the images that made the feature very difficult to use.  I just put in the google site search feature and that worked great!  So, I'm 1 and 1.

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Jenny Murphy 5/9/12 7:30 AM
Hi John,

It looks like your web server is configured to redirect all traffic that does not accept cookies. This appears to be confusing the snippet fetcher. The snippet fetcher should probably be following this redirect so I've filed this as a bug. If you star the issue, you'll be notified when I update it (for example, when it's fixed).

In the mean time, you can work around this issue by disabling this redirect in your web server configuration. I'm not very familiar with IIS, so I can't offer any specific advice, but I do know I've seen snippets with images working on IIS, so there must be a way :)

~~Jenny

Oh and if you're curious, here are the curl commands that I used to figure this out:

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Cache-Control: private
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 14:13:09 GMT

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 14:13:41 GMT

$

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image John Colbert 5/10/12 8:41 AM
Hey Thanks!

That gives me something to try.  I should have picked up on that considering that Google+ does have some sensitivity to cookie support.   I'll give it another round and see if I can fix it.

Thanks for taking the extra step to analyze this problem.

John
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image John Colbert 5/10/12 6:45 PM
Thanks Jenny!

Your help did the trick and it cleaned up some other things as well.  I was using AutoDetectCookieSupport and it was in fact causing the problem.

Google plus is now working swimmingly and by cleaning up the redirection my facebook recommend links now work better as well.  I was having a good deal of trouble with those and it turns out that the redirection was the cause.  Facebook was doing a better job at following the redirection, but it still wasn't great and sometimes it became confused on image choice.  Now, both Google and facebook use the meta tags and pull the image from that reference.

For further edification, I am using the meta tags; name, description and image.  The image tag points to a thumbnail that is stored in a special folder for article image thumbnails.  The thumbnails do not appear on the pages or anywhere else on the site.

Thanks again for your help!

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Jenny Murphy 5/10/12 8:09 PM
Thanks for looping back with an update, John. I'm glad to hear things worked out. =)
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Tricnology 5/10/12 8:54 PM
 We have the same issue on cosmiccowpie.com . Started out not grabbing the image and now it turns red and won't work at all.I sent word on another post but I am finding out about conflicting plug ins. So this is probably not a google issue even though Google said they  had issues on theoir end and were looking into it. Shareaholic in particular. do any of you use this?
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image John Colbert 5/10/12 11:36 PM
I don't know about Sharaholic, but when I first started exploring Google +1 I had the red thing happen.  It was because there were spaces in the image name.  I'm sure there are many other reasons why this happens, but I figured that part out which then led me to the next issue of it selecting the wrong images, which as you can see from this thread has now been resolved.

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Jenny Murphy 5/11/12 9:11 AM
Hi Tricnology,

It looks like the +1 button page fetcher is having trouble accessing your site. You can observe this using the rich snippet testing tool. This can be caused by web server configuration that blocks it, slow page response time (slower than 10 seconds) or a network issue that prevents the +1 button page fetcher from accessing your site.

I'd check your server configuration or contact your hosting provider to see if they can help.

~~Jenny
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Tricnology 5/11/12 10:35 AM
funny, working on that right now for Tricnology.com, addded Google Auth and a new WP cache to decrease upload time. we'll see.. It is not only me having the issue and its actually on another site

were you referring to Cosmiccowpie.com?

Thanks
Tric--

Tric
239-826-3949
tricnology.com
2012 Zion Sabbath

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Jenny Murphy 5/14/12 1:21 PM
Hi Tric,

Yup! I was referring to cosmiccowpie.com, the domain you mentioned in your previous post up the thread. :)

~~Jenny
Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Tricnology 5/14/12 1:31 PM
Hi Carra,

The FW Friday ( I was up very late working on this conundrum) email was from Jenny Murphy, a Google developer. I verified she was referring to CPP in this email and not Tricnology. I just heard back from her. She relays it may be a server problem and speed. I remember Larry saying some things needed to be cleaned out. I know you get slow response, but Larry may know about what to do  right away  or I can go to it figure it out. Let me know what your preference is.

Thanks
TRIC

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Jenny Murphy <bacona...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re: Google +1 Refuses to select the proper image Tricnology 5/14/12 1:33 PM
Thanks Jenny. I sent it to the site owner. Her long time webmaster was puzzled with t heconundrum, but may need ot clean the back end out a bit. This is my thought. I will keep you posted. I have found all-in-one social media share packs do nto work as well as stand alone +1, so this could be it as well, just too heavy...