Categories: General Mapping :

Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker?

Showing 21-306 of 306 messages
Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 12/31/11 8:19 AM
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 12/31/11 11:46 AM
Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? zxrayz 12/31/11 12:27 PM
Fix ALL 'Rendering Errors'

(Only 1 item! Ah, a top 3 or 10 item list maybe...  I agree that categories is a BIG one too, but if items don't display on the map the way they are supposed to, all of it makes no difference.)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Jaxcoffee 12/31/11 12:53 PM
The inability for anyone to change business information on an edit or listing page that is not a verified owner, or is authorized by the owner to make changes
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? karlcr9911 12/31/11 1:18 PM
Sort options in the left panel allowing for better reviewing capabilities, follow-up, editing, etc.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Funkytoad 12/31/11 1:57 PM
Categories, please.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Willy Hrachovina 12/31/11 2:11 PM
The bugged edit in Northern Virginia locking up U.S. 29/U.S. 50.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ryan Rosser 12/31/11 5:37 PM
"Cannot Merge Batch Edits"
Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Charlie L 12/31/11 8:53 PM
When naming a feature, I would like to see all languages in ISO 639-3:2007 as a choice instead of just the top 100 or so languages.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Srini vas 1/1/12 2:41 AM
Improper State/Province location(s). Eg: A State from India shown in Africa, Permalink
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Saikrishna Arcot 1/1/12 5:57 AM
Rendering Errors.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? caledits 1/1/12 8:01 AM
Starting about one month ago, features that were approved and published will not display on Google Maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Alan Browne 1/1/12 9:23 AM
When initiating a new feature (such as a trail), the attributes of the trail should be collected first before 'drawing' is started.
Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Serge 1/2/12 12:07 AM
Duplicates!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mr-G 1/2/12 2:30 AM
Issue 151.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Tim 1/2/12 9:36 AM
Definitely rendering errors, I recently drew a national highway, and it refused to render. Without a map, what do we have?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mihai Dumitru 1/3/12 3:31 AM
Rendering, if it's to chose only one.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? G10 1/3/12 3:58 AM
Phone number formatting in Georgia.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? delta fox 1/3/12 5:47 PM
There are many bugs to solve, and many user interface items to improve to let us save time, but first in my wish list would be that when MapMaker says it does somethings, it should really do that... that is not the case, and it is even more frustrating that ordinary bugs that let show you what the problem is.

One example that comes to my mind is editing a whole road with multiples values of 'direction' or 'elevation', you would think that after you set a value for these attributes it be the same for the whole road, but most of the times it is not ! It does change but only for the segment you have selected ! This is a major failure in terms of quality of the maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? R01k 1/4/12 2:12 PM
For people like me who use Google Navigation very often, it is really important to have the turn time restrictions for the intersections that have them. When Google Navigation indicates you to make a turn when it is not allowed it could cause a huge problem.

That's why it would be useful to be able to enter that info through GMM.

Issue 1810: Turn Restrictions - Time restraints: http://goo.gl/35omj
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? djboge 1/5/12 4:44 PM
The bugged edit in Northern Virginia locking up U.S. 29/U.S. 50.

x2! :)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Chris 1/7/12 4:46 PM
The ability to group a collection of edits and submit them for review all at once.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rakslice 1/7/12 8:21 PM
More generally, a pending edit on a small segment of a road shouldn't prevent edits on other segments of the road that are miles away.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Игл 1/8/12 5:22 PM
Fix Road Network Has Bad Feature error:

Failed to create feature
Bad data (Road Network Has Bad Feature) has been found in this area. Please report this error with a link to this page. This road segment has badly formatted restrictions, please report this error with a link to this page
Please correct errors and submit again or cancel
(unknown) 1/8/12 5:27 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 1/8/12 5:30 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 1/8/12 5:32 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 1/8/12 5:33 PM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 1/8/12 5:36 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Saikrishna Arcot 1/8/12 6:00 PM
I think you missed the part "issue (singular, not plural)" in the opening post.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Борис 1/9/12 3:24 PM
The option to "subscribe" to a feature. Something like a check-box "Notify me when changes to this feature are made".
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mike 1/9/12 8:21 PM
Like my friend said "The Fact that anyone can change business information on an edit or listing page that is not a verified owner, or is authorized by the owner to make changes"
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ryan Rosser 1/9/12 11:56 PM
Yeah, that's right. I think it would be neat if Places updates went through the same reviewing process that Map Maker updates did. Like, someone changes the address in Places, it appears as a pending edit on Map Maker.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? James Tantalo 1/10/12 2:31 PM
Batch edits that will let us edit entire road systems, intersections, and other features without having to wait for approval of each segment. Some of the roads and paths in my area area tangled spaghetti mess of poorly-drawn roads. Correcting them is time-consuming only because I have to do them all at once. A reviewer can just as easily approve or deny a road system as they can a road segment.

Also, while we're on the subject, import and export of vector data in SVG or some other open format. It would be brilliant to be able to bring sections of the map into a more powerful illustration program like Adobe Illustrator, then import those changes back to the map. Yeah, that's right, I asked for two things.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? lambdacore 1/12/12 5:28 AM
I've had annoyances with working hours, particularly when a place is opened on different time intervals on different days.
The hours are grouped in a strange way.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Charlie L 1/12/12 8:52 AM
Another helpful feature would be the ability to toggle on and off pedestrian walk areas, just as one currently can with bicycle areas.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Abhishek 1/16/12 9:46 AM
can any body change or edit my business listing?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 1/16/12 2:27 PM
Wrong place to post your question - please use the forum here.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? tonip1 1/17/12 6:02 AM
When I look for directions using public transportation I usually get directions which say walk to Louis Stokes Rapid Station. The map says it should take about 16 minutes. 16 minutes is a long time to walk to get to public transportation if you live in a city the size of Cleveland. (It's actually more like 1/2 hour btw).  I never walk to this rapid station. It's not only not close but it's also mainly back streets. There is a bus which is closer to where I live.  I wish public transit directions were more accurate.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 1/17/12 10:04 AM
Tonip1,
I suggest that you contact your city transit service and let them know about this - they may have errors in the information that they send to Google. Also, it may be that there are some attribute issues on the roads in your area. Perhaps certain roads are incorrectly attributed and the navigation algorithm is trying to find what it thinks is the best route. It can't make a human judgement about the quality of the route it suggests; it's up to people to ensure that the roads are correctly located and attributed so that these kind of mistakes become a rare event.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Craig Peterson 1/17/12 4:50 PM
Selecting several nodes in a polygon/road and moving them all together as one unit.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? eskaysingh 1/19/12 8:56 PM
I think modifying categories from just plain vanilla flat single layer list to a hierarchical (2 - 3 layer) tree should be a priority as of now,  +1 for Nuclear Moose.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? CNR 1/20/12 2:46 AM
I also vote for resolving the Category issue by providing the categories list to  hierarchical (2 - 3 layer) tree (like Grand parent - Parent and Child in a family tree).
That will solve a considerable amount of problems of mappers
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Peter2012 1/22/12 12:23 PM
Searching results in Ireland,sometimes shows other countries, not Ireland. Would be great if that were fixed somehow.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nolan Crees 1/22/12 4:51 PM
Being able to make more than one edit before needing a review. It takes several days to change weird intersections and sometimes we don't have the power to do something (or I just can't find how to) like disconnect a road from an intersection
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? jodycb 1/23/12 4:25 PM
1. Categories

2. If all medical professionals are allowed to have their own point on the map there should be a general category for medical professionals. I can't make someone a pharmacist but I have parking lots full of pharmacists and eye doctors, etc. all stacked up on each other. I think it's a little weird to have every doctor in a practice have their own point instead of just having the practice marked.

I know we were only supposed to pick one but I tied #2 to categories. That's my excuse.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Andrew Sawyer 1/25/12 10:04 PM
Issue 105: Users should not be able to hide by not creating a profile - ie no phantom edits from Google Maps. I can live with a hyperlink to "Anonymous," at least I can view the edits. I don't really have to know their name to see what kind of edits they've done, but it would be nice!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? K 1/26/12 7:18 AM
The completely out-of-control bots. The Cleaner and Anonymous come to mind.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? siva 1/26/12 7:40 AM
Rendering & Panning.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of K <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The completely out-of-control bots. The Cleaner and Anonymous come to mind.

- To post a public reply in this same thread:

- To post a note to the group on a *different* General Map Maker topic:
Visit http://goo.gl/DeX9Z and click on "New topic"
or
E-mail google-...@googlegroups.com

- To unsubscribe from this list:
Send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com

- To see additional useful options:
Visit http://goo.gl/GDnr and click on "Membership."

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! :-)

--
With regards,
Siva

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? GoldenRetriever23 1/27/12 5:26 PM
Hi, it would be REALLY great if you can somehow change your name from anonymous to another name-such as "GoldenRetriever23," for example.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Damián 1/28/12 11:16 AM
In Argentina the maps are not updated at all.
I come to google MM to update roads and areas but.. these has been updated in MM!
What are you waiting for, Google?
Grettings
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Devin Wells 1/29/12 11:00 AM
Polygon size limit. I was try to map my neighborhood and someone who has only made one edit mapped a huge polygon over northern Illinois, now I can't work until it is removed. I also noticed several big polygons around the world that are random. I think polygons over a certain size should be approved by Google staff. And not bother us local users.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? GMapper 1/29/12 1:01 PM
I would like to be able to split a road into two segments without needing to add (and then delete) temporary stub road segments.   This would be something similar to OSM's capability to select a node along a road and then click on their "scissor" icon....and then there are 2 segments.    Very useful for making edits applicable to a small portion of a longer road.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nicholas Vetrovec 2/7/12 10:55 AM
Owner verified listings should not be able to be marked as duplicates.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? vandelay 2/11/12 11:08 AM
It would be great if there was a way to merge two closely spaced intersection points into one so that maps can be corrected without having to delete and draw new segments (lengthy review process) or to place intersection points absurdly close to each other (error-prone mapping).  An example would be that you have a drop-down choice from the intersection edit that allows you to pick "combine with nearest intersection", and then a new single intersection point is created from the average coordinates of those two intersection points, with all connections to adjacent intersections still intact.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? vandelay 2/11/12 11:12 AM
Also, please, a rewrite of the instructions posted at http://support.google.com/mapmaker/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1208728.  They are incorrect in stating that a roundabout is the same as a traffic circle, and it doesn't make sense to try to draw them the same way.  More explanation (and counter-criticism) can be found on this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/google-mapmaker/ru3jgbl0A8w.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 2/13/12 1:29 PM
I have eliminated intersections that are close together - edit one and drag/drop it on top of the other. Sometimes Map Maker goes insane but often it simply makes one intersection and a small segment is eliminated.

Now I have to go find an example and make sure that I'm not mistaken! :^)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? geopgeop (RER CA-NV) 2/13/12 1:32 PM
Ooh, that actually works? I'd like to see a video of that in action!

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Nuclear Moose <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I have eliminated intersections that are close together - edit one and drag/drop it on top of the other. Sometimes Map Maker goes insane but often it simply makes one intersection and a small segment is eliminated.

Now I have to go find an example and make sure that I'm not mistaken! :^)

- To post a public reply in this same thread:

- To post a note to the group on a *different* General Map Maker topic:
Visit http://goo.gl/DeX9Z and click on "New topic"
or
E-mail google-...@googlegroups.com

- To unsubscribe from this list:
Send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com

- To see additional useful options:
Visit http://goo.gl/GDnr and click on "Membership."

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! :-)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 2/13/12 1:44 PM
I will try to capture this tonight - it's currently Monday, Feb 13, 2012 1440hrs MST so it will be later on when I try this.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Aaron Sentell 2/16/12 11:26 AM
I just wish that the edits that were made in map maker would show up in Google places, after they are approved.  Sometimes I wonder why I enter all of these business hours... they never show up on Google Maps or in the Places app for Android.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Willy Hrachovina 2/16/12 11:29 AM
Some of the businesses you are editing might be owner-verified, and thus the owner must approve the changes in order for them to be displayed. If they are not owner-verified, then it is likely due to some delays in updates moving from Map Maker to Maps.
(unknown) 2/16/12 7:30 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Aaron Sentell 2/17/12 9:11 AM
I wish I could say this was the problem, but the reason that I have been editing them is BECAUSE they are not owner-verified.  The businesses that are not owner verified are often misplaced and do not contain any information other than the address and phone number, before editing.  Things like business hours and payment methods, as far as I can see, never make it into Google Maps or Google Places (the app), after they are approved.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Madelyn 2/19/12 8:08 AM
That an owner can edit "At a Glance"
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ryan 2/22/12 2:47 PM
All data added to show in maps and places
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Jon Peterson 2/28/12 3:28 PM
Video Rental Kiosk as a Primary category. There are so many of the redbox and blockbuster express machines going up that it needs to be a primary category. Within 3 miles of my house there are at least 15 of these. They are at every Walmart, Walgreens and most major grocery stores.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? John 2/29/12 7:03 AM
Bugfix for "smarter" display of names under the category "Bicycle Route:"

-In Map view, if a Bicycle Route runs concurrently with another name that is "Primary" or "Local" on a road on which traffic is allowed, NEVER display the Bicycle Route name.
-In ALL views, if the ONLY name of a segment is a Bicycle Route name, ALWAYS display it.
-In ALL views, for Trail/Path segments and roads on which no auto traffic is allowed, ALWAYS display Bicycle Route names.
-In Bicycling view and Navigation Bicycle and Pedestrian directions, ALWAYS display Bicycle Route names.
-In Navigation, for automobile and transit directions, do NOT display Bicycle Route names.

People are complaining about the funky way they are currently displayed, in some cases confusing business customers.  Bicycle Route names are great for cyclists and pedestrians, but do NOT help motorists and transit riders.  Please fix this before people begin to delete them, erasing hundreds of miles, and many months, of work in adding them.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ian70 2/29/12 11:55 AM
I'm going to vote for an improvement in feature Labels on the map. Even though the editing of features in MM works overall very well, I can never predict how a feature's associated label will appear. Labels sometimes don't move with feature edits. Sometimes they won't disappear after a feature deletion. Sometimes they change icon, or change location, or even appear on top of each other. I can't even predict if they will appear on a newly created feature, or where.

I hesitate to ask for control in placement of these labels in relation to the features or POIs, but that might be a good idea.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Charlie L 3/2/12 8:42 AM
Disappearing nodes.

I have noticed that there are several boundary shapes I have either created or adjusted, and then later, some of the nodes disappear, making the shape of the boundary no longer accurately representing the boundary. Some, I have caught and have gone back in and added in those missing nodes; others, I have not and then I get a review asking me why I had changed the boundary for the worse.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Alberto Sanchez 3/8/12 6:17 AM
Rendering Issue

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:19:59 PM UTC-4, blissfulight wrote:
[...]

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 3/8/12 11:56 AM
I see you've run into the bug that I have with Google Groups.  For some reason, it keeps adding additional copies of the text from the post you're replying to.  I think it's some combination of the spacebar and another key...
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Terry Cameron 3/9/12 1:52 PM
Routing update speed. What good are changes if they don't take effect where you need them the most.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? AVT INC 3/17/12 3:40 PM
AVT is the Future of Vending. AVT designs and manufactures solutions for retailers to provide the consumer with what they want, went they want it.

Please LIKE this page: http://www.facebook.com/AVTInc

And Follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AVTIncCA

Thanks
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Shaun Sweeney 3/18/12 2:54 AM

Rendering Errors
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? AVT INC 3/18/12 2:44 PM
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? fhdogs 3/18/12 4:25 PM
I want my edits and reviews to save the first time I try. I am not mapping any more because it takes so many tries to get anything to save.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 3/18/12 5:21 PM
fhdogs - I have no issues with saving as long as I use the buttons in the left sidebar, and not those in the pop-up over the POI.  Can you if that this is perhaps when you are having the issue?

If not, can you give details about your OS, browser and version, etc?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? fhdogs 3/18/12 7:33 PM
Hey Flash, I can't imagine anyone else is having this problem, but it just started out of the blue and I don't get it.

I have two machines I've used GMM on. Both are OS X 10.7.2 I generally use Safari 5.1.2. On the machine I use the most I have had the same problem in Firefox and Chrome. I don't have those versions, but at least the chrome is very current (downloaded within the last week).

I really think this is some kind of permissions problem, or something corrupt in the DB related to my account. I don't know if any of that is possible, but it's what I have to guess. Knowing that the conference is just around the corner I was hoping somebody could see it happening there, and be able to confirm all of this.

Maybe my other option is to create another account to map with and see what happens.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? fhdogs 3/18/12 8:16 PM
To keep some sense of organization see here: https://sites.google.com/site/mapyourworldcommunity/discuss?place=topic%2Fgoogle-mapmaker%2FwXCCmv1lsYU%2Fdiscussion about my issue. Thanks
-Mike
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Jai 3/26/12 6:42 AM

Hi all,

When imagery is updated and the roads get misaligned. It’s frustrating and time consuming to align each and every small segment.

I know we can report the issue and ask for the imagery alignment, but this will not solve the problem as users add new roads after the imagery updates which are aligned and many users align few segments leaving the others as it was.

Please check the link below for example.

http://goo.gl/EDWG4

A new tool is required, which enables editing of multiple intersections at once, may be one can select a specific region and can align all the intersections at once (ofcourse manually) this will save lot of time and proper rendering of roads and navigation on maps.

Have created an issue regarding the same, star the issue and your comments would be appreciated !

http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=2606

Thank you.

Jai

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 4/1/12 5:04 PM
So, uh, four months, and nothing about categories?  I appreciate the UI changes with the most recent update.  That must've taken a lot of work, trying to figure out where the buttons should be moved, instead of focusing on less important issues, like categories, or duplicates, or...  May as well delay categories for another year, because in the meantime, GMM has to focus on making some more drastic cosmetic changes that consist of rearranging the buttons or dropdown menus.  Deep stuff.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? zxrayz 4/1/12 10:28 PM
What? Did you miss the updates to the categories. Someone at Google has been working on the categories......  DELETING More of Them !   :(

Categories & Rendering Errors the two biggest problem.... followed by Duplicate bugs, Land over water, Bots, etc...

I agree the UI update is nice, but there are some serious problems that need to be addressed.

I think the category mess has gone on so long and so many items have been added with the current crazy categories that fixing it is going to be a big headache. No one on the google end really wants to talk about it, other than to say they understand; but most on the google end are not really free to comment on the problem either.  Now categories come and go over night. Major needed categories (Bus Stop, Fire Station, etc... ) are nowhere to be found, and the number of useless categories is mind numbing.

You would think rendering errors would be a fairly easy thing to fix. Have pending edits in a separate database that is not merged into the final data for complete display until approved. (Somehow that does not appear to be the case, because if a user tries to delete something and it is denied - the item still disappears for the map.) Set a complete rendering time for an area and hold all items in the area that are created or published during the full re-rendering, and merge the new data after the render update or something. I know that is probably way over simplified, but....  Google is not saying why there are major rendering errors, just that it is going to take time - apparently a lot of time.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 4/2/12 4:54 AM
The preceding post was completely sarcastic.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 4/2/12 3:50 PM
Three categories for Fast Food:

Fast Food
Fast Food Restaurant
Restaurant - Fast Food

But no categories for...

Fire Station
Fire Department
Power Plant

That's insane!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? zxrayz 4/2/12 4:15 PM
I was just playing with you. About the category change... aka Deletions.   Just trying to laugh at the problem.

As I noted below that there are major problems but the problems are so big that it is obviously not going to be an overnight fix. Basically what Praneeth said in his post today. https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-mapmaker/MgURWEwTrow/discussion

On Monday, April 2, 2012 5:54:21 AM UTC-6, blissfulight wrote:
The preceding post was completely sarcastic.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rahim 4/3/12 4:36 AM

Hi everyone,

@Dan -

We’re aware of the concerns being raised here. Yes, missing categories is one issue you all are waiting to see this resolved. But, this is an issue which requires major changes.

Since, this overhauling process is very complex, we will be needing more to time for fixes.

As for the issues other than this, we’re working hard to get these fixed.

@Pablo - Happy to hear you liked UI changes.

Thanks,
~Rahim

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rjhintz 4/3/12 8:23 AM
Hi Rahim,
No one expects a complex issue to be fixed completely and at once.  Some of us work in IT, so we understand the challenges, but really it's the same in any industry.

Small steps would be helpful, such as a changelog similar to that used by other Google projects.  Also, some evident sense that there actually is a plan would be helpful in managing expectations.  The fiasco with the spreadsheet is a good example of what not to do.  None of this is new.

It's pretty clear to anyone that's mapped more than a couple of features that categories and the management of their change workflow directly affects mapper productivity, mapper retention, and the ability of someone to make that first edit.
--
Rich
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Henry 4/4/12 12:59 AM

Den lördagen den 31:e december 2011 kl. 17:19:59 UTC+1 skrev blissfulight:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Chris Lindsley 4/4/12 7:54 AM
My personal favorite is "Cable Car Station" and "Cable car station". It seems like scanning for duplicates and excluding differences in case would be quite easy.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 4/4/12 4:56 PM
Now Trailhead is gone from Primary categories (https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-mapmaker/ZzKWXXiKRZ0/discussion)

Does anyone at Google at least plan to someday announce when categories are being deprecated?  I don't think a major backend overhaul is required to announce the disappearance of categories, and the reasoning why.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? James Arthur 4/4/12 8:12 PM
Edits don't seem to "take." I have spent much effort trying to correct my company's street number and it's still wrong. I've tried editing in Google Maps, Places and Mapmaker. I've talked to the call center in India. NOTHING WORKS! Why is Google so user-unfriendly?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 4/4/12 10:32 PM
Post the link, and please use a separate comment thread.  This is more for generic problems with MM.  Thanks.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Deed 4/6/12 12:50 AM
Other than the categories,I think GMM should be the only platform through which edits are added to google maps.This will make reviewing easier.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Willy Hrachovina 4/6/12 6:58 AM
Since my previous issue is fixed (US 29/US 50 locked because of a bad edit), I wish they would do something to distinguish Map Maker and My Maps. Either make My Maps more visible and promote it, or change the name of Map Maker to prevent confusion. I say this because it seems that a lot of edits are being made here in Map Maker that would be better suited for My Maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Henry 4/8/12 9:05 PM
Not a fix but a tool is on my shopping list.   Most problems I see are related to different databases/sources that are linked.  How about a graphic tool that you right click name, address, location, etc and a tree/logic map pops up of related information with column of each edit status.    I imagine this problem will get worse as Google develops more applications.  With this tool, edits should be applied to all related databases.    I thought about this because many edit histories show  change   xxx to xxx.   And you are left wondering why change something to itself?   I finally saw one example where this happens when there are other changes happening and Google presents this change.  It is confusing.      Maps needs to be able to find duplicates in Places more easily and vice versa.  Further, changes in one data source need to be more transparent how it changes or does not change a linked data source.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Bardi Harborow 4/10/12 1:59 AM
put australia on the list
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Lucien 4/10/12 5:07 AM
When editing the name of a road, allow for multiple names in multiple languages to be edited at once. As it stands now, only one name can be added at a time, making editing road names outside of the English speaking world very time consuming.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ulzii 4/10/12 11:27 AM
  • Increase editing limit of line feature for adding new road. The 5km is getting too short to edit in big territory like Mongolia.
  • Insert 2-3 sub-categories under the STATUE category like made material, size, date, age and topic.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nathan Swartz 4/12/12 10:20 PM
Make My Maps embeddable on other sites.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? pinnyperez 4/13/12 10:47 AM
I would like to see an easier, less confusing way of duplicates when editing listings. Instead of duplicating the listing maybe have a link under the previously edited listing that shows what it looked like before (or visa versa) this way, when a business has to make more than one edit to their location, while its being processed there won't be multiple listings with different info.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? jprogram 4/13/12 1:16 PM
Right-clicking. I kept zooming out when I wanted to delete a road's node.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Macedonicus 4/13/12 5:28 PM
When I draw a certain polygon, I'd like to be able to Browse through the rest of the categories without losing my current polygon. The idea is to copy the same points from the existing polygon on the new polygon (with same boundaries). Currently that is only possible if you edit the existing polygon and copy the boundaries from "Pending places".

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:19:59 PM UTC+1, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ehsan Habibi 4/16/12 3:16 AM
Misalignment.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rob 4/16/12 4:37 PM
Rendering Issues, especially as of late.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Bewinxed 4/21/12 7:37 AM
Periodic Draft Saving of large edits, it's frustrating to edit a whole city boundary and having the browser hang/crash on you.
(unknown) 4/23/12 11:53 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nitin Chauhan 4/24/12 12:01 AM
By moving/adjusting intersection, program must fetch and fill NEW address. at present many a times it is blank, so moving it slight to straighten connecting roads is never gets published but gets to be reviewed because address is blank ! please write and run fix-it program to fill the address of existing intersections where it finds blank.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Ken Carpenter 4/24/12 7:22 AM
The "Long and Lat" would be helpful while marking if they were brought back.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Agent 47 4/27/12 8:56 PM
On a very simple note, how about simply addressing to the Issue Tracker posts which would solve all our problems.

There have been too many bugs related to delay in rendering and new things are we come across while editing daily, it would be a great idea to resolve 1 issue a day.

 IMHO this can be a good mission, if taken up by the Google Team.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Hamza Izourane 4/30/12 2:36 AM
i suggest to show rail road also on the satellite view not just the map view, thanks ;)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sunny 4/30/12 3:18 AM
 No blur imagery and updated satellite imagery so that data can be updated without confusion...

On Saturday, 31 December 2011 21:49:59 UTC+5:30, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.

(unknown) 4/30/12 3:19 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? sakandar 4/30/12 12:26 PM
i have the same problem with this. could you tell me how to solve this you see i have been writing things in urdu and next thing you know, there tis is the same text on top of it but some just moved out if you get what i mean. please could you help me

On Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:56:37 PM UTC, blissfulight wrote:
I see you've run into the bug that I have with Google Groups.  For some reason, it keeps adding additional copies of the text from the post you're replying to.  I think it's some combination of the spacebar and another key...

On Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:56:37 PM UTC, blissfulight wrote:
I see you've run into the bug that I have with Google Groups.  For some reason, it keeps adding additional copies of the text from the post you're replying to.  I think it's some combination of the spacebar and another key...
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? treebles 5/11/12 6:36 PM
You pointed to the wrong forum, that is the Help Center for Maps, the correct forum is Google & Your Business.
The Correct Help Center is here.

On Monday, January 16, 2012 5:27:33 PM UTC-5, Nuclear Moose wrote:
Wrong place to post your question - please use the forum here.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Darron Rempel 5/11/12 8:46 PM
Ability to select a region where the map and satellite don't match and edit as a group.  I'm seeing about 300 sq. mi. of this in my region and there's no way each street can be moved manually.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? erk 5/13/12 8:07 AM
When selecting road segments, the browse bubble pops up instead.  You click on edit road attributes or name and it tells you to select only connected segments.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Gary Cox 5/13/12 10:19 PM
GR's without local knowledge removing freeway priorities from freeways.  I would like to retire from my tenure as Wisconsin Freeways Babysitter.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Lauren Winkler 5/13/12 10:22 PM
Please add parcels from Maps to Map Maker!

This would allow us to have substantially more accurate parks, housing developments, shopping centers, and other boundaries.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Paul Heckbert 5/14/12 3:41 PM
features that aren't selectable!  If I can't select a trail, then I can't edit it to correct it!
See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/google-mapmaker/unable$20to$20select$20trail$20-$20why?/google-mapmaker/uBeYdkWkqWg/q5p-yUbhOc4J
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nitin Chauhan 5/15/12 6:01 AM
At present it is hard to tell by looking at Minor artery, Major artery and Regional highway because its same 'yellow' color !
It would be better to have distinguishable shades of 'web-safe' yellow color for each road priority.
eg. lightest yellow for lowest priority road to darkest yellow for highest priority roads.

(somewhat related Issue is #666)

Thanks
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nitin Chauhan 5/15/12 6:26 AM
When editing any option having combo-box which allows only single item to select, why next time editing the same shows blank or 'multiple' ?
It must save selected option and show the same.
With this 'bug/feature' many options are shown as blank after edit and it is very hard to change road segment to normal if it is already something else.
same with bicycle and pedestrian access.

Thanks
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Saikrishna Arcot 5/15/12 5:08 PM
There's a known bug when trying to clear the Segment Usage or the Bicycle Suitability fields. For anything else (except Direction), the field should be set correctly.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nitin Chauhan 5/16/12 1:48 AM
Also, If field has some value before (eg Street #), You can not empty it.
Please increase priority of data entry bugs as application must respect data entered by user.
Thanks for the reply,
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Jason Henderson 5/22/12 6:01 AM
In general, GRs without local knowledge denying changes from local reviewers.  It's so frustrating to see changes get denied when they don't even take the time to look into a feature (like websites, business listings, etc.) to verify that it's reality.  I'd love to spend more time doing this- and my city needs it, but this whole system is such a turn-off.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Lino oliveira 5/22/12 10:11 AM
é verdade eu também gostaria de conrinuar ajudando mas ta dificil não da essa negação de serviço é ruim de mas..

2012/5/22 General Map Maker on behalf of Jason Henderson <google-...@googlegroups.com>
In general, GRs without local knowledge denying changes from local reviewers.  It's so frustrating to see changes get denied when they don't even take the time to look into a feature (like websites, business listings, etc.) to verify that it's reality.  I'd love to spend more time doing this- and my city needs it, but this whole system is such a turn-off.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

--
Téc. em redes de Computadores
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? karlscha 5/23/12 6:01 AM

There should be a simple solution to every problem and in this computer age it should be very simple. Unfortunately, it is not.
(unknown) 6/2/12 9:56 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Detroiter 6/2/12 9:57 AM
When editing a road the pending edits (related to that road) prevents further edits. And sometimes it is impossible to make an edit in one step. Please allow edits if all of them done by one user.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? ahmed mousa 6/2/12 11:48 AM
The emergence level in Profile Raises the competitiveness of the Planning

بتاريخ السبت، 31 ديسمبر، 2011 UTC+3 7:19:59 م، كتب blissfulight:
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 6/2/12 1:19 PM
@Detriter

As you do more good edits, your trust will rise and you will have many edits auto-publish without review.  Until then, it is generally best that edits get checked over before you progress to the next edit, in order that you are not repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

To raise your level quicker, I suggest finding several areas that need work and working on them all simultaneously.  Also, if you are doing good, consistent work; generally a local RER will take notice and keep coming back to approve your edits.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David Whittall 6/13/12 2:11 AM
Better way of speeding up the edit process.  Edits done in under 1 hour on OSM take weeks on Google Map Maker!  Whenever a New Road intersects with Existing Road it needs Approval of a Moderator.  So 5 days or more sitting on 'Pending' then dod a bit more then find another edit need sApproval before one can continue and coplete.  It's damn frustrating and time consuming.  Why can one complete the Edit in it's entirity and be saved to a Temp Folder and get Approval for the whole Edit project at once, within 1 or 2 days also?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Greg Noel 6/13/12 3:15 AM
@David Whittall, there is an entry in the issue tracker for this; please see issue 2070.  If you agree with it, star it.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Caboosey 6/14/12 1:38 AM
Batch editing......this would be useful for moving roads around a new highway interchange or and area of roads where there has been major changes. Since editing one at time.....wait for review.....if its approve move on...edit..wait for review...if approve move on....etc. I want to help, but don't want to cause road issues for Google Map regular users who is it for directions and whatever plus love to finish a whole interchange make over to provide the latest changes and complete the little mapmaker project of mine, whichever it will be at the time, finish completely instead of a back and forward edit/review at one change at a time. I want to provide the latest and little to no downtime or confusing to regular Google Map users or reviewers since it's one change at a time.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Greg Noel 6/14/12 1:52 AM
@Caboosey, see issue 2070.  If you think it makes sense, star it.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Brian Garrett 6/14/12 6:54 AM
+1  I'm trying to add a new traffic circle, and it's a disaster.  It let me add several segments, but then froze when I tried to change part of an existing road.  Now none of my edits there are automatically accepted, since they contact a segment in question.   Thankfully I worked the system enough that there is a valid path through the intersection for from/to each road....but it's ugly, and includes segments that don't exists.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sombrero Peak 6/14/12 10:37 AM
I'm selfish. I just want my MM listing to reappear.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mutant Platypus 6/15/12 9:09 AM
I want it to be easier to change route names and name types.  Right now, there seem to be two or three different interfaces (through the "Select Entire <name>", the select segments tool, and the select line tool).  It would be nice if I could specify disconnected/forking segments as part of the same instance of a name.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? kanu desai 6/18/12 6:22 AM
Google bot anonymous always doing disturb.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? AdelTeo 6/20/12 11:34 AM
Render errors and render delays.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? teddy haddad 6/24/12 1:51 AM
same problem, features edited and submitted a week ago does not show on the map

On Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:01:16 PM UTC+2, caledits wrote:
Starting about one month ago, features that were approved and published will not display on Google Maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Kanu Desai 6/24/12 8:28 PM
Render issue for "Bus Stop" category come back.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nils16 7/3/12 1:51 AM
Power-lines more than 5km...
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rjhintz 7/5/12 7:31 AM
Hi Nils16,
  Would you explain a bit more what you mean? Any linear feature can be extended to arbitrarily long lengths by joining segments.

Creating segments larger than about 1km is generally not a good practice since it makes them difficult to edit later.
--
Rich
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 7/5/12 8:31 AM

Creating segments larger than about 1km is generally not a good practice since it makes them difficult to edit later.

Agreed.  I recently edited a railroad line where stretches of 1-2 kms would have no nodes; scrolling around in high zoom trying to find the halfway point where I could create a node and then dragging it back to where it was needed was annoying.  I shudder to think about trying to fix a 100km long line.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 7/5/12 1:47 PM
Given the amount of time that has passed since Blissfulight posted this, I suggest it's time to close this discussion thread. There have been many changes in GMM since then and unfortunately, we still have some of the same issues identified from the past.

I would like to see a fresh thread started and have it well-moderated in order to keep it on topic.

Your feedback is most welcome.

Craig
RER and Advocate
Canada
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Anonymoose 7/11/12 11:24 PM
Just one?? I'd say the ability to mass edit multiple intersections at once when editing a large segment. Or else the ability to add intersection nodes to a street.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? MarinoBuia 7/15/12 12:33 AM
i'm desperately trying for some weeks to delete a wrong segment of a road in Mongolia
it looks impossible to do it!!!

imho, that funcionality needs improvements
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rjhintz 7/15/12 8:06 AM
Hi Marino,
  First, your example basically shows you vandalized the map.  Perhaps with good intention, but vandalized nonetheless.  You should remove inappropriate names that don't exist before you get negative notes that will affect your ongoing trust.  Same for any other inappropriate changes that don't comply with Map Maker terms.

Next, this thread seems inappropriate for discussing this issue.  The thread is to discuss higher level concerns than a problem segment with limited scope.

Next, it's helpful to say what you've tried to resolve your issue.  Did you submit Feedback?  Where else in the forums did you discuss this problem?  Did you submit an issue in Issue Tracker?

Map Maker can be frustrating at first, but we can help get over the early rough spots.
--
Rich
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? MarinoBuia 7/15/12 9:35 AM

Il giorno domenica 15 luglio 2012 17:06:38 UTC+2, rjhintz ha scritto:
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rjhintz 7/15/12 10:12 AM
Hi,
  Right, the only reason I'm not marking your feature as abusive is that I think you made it in error, which is why I'm saying to correct it.

Which feature are you talking about?  When discussing a feature, please provide the link.

Also, we have to be careful when communicating in a common language, in this case English, when there can be misunderstandings.  Everyone here is trying to be helpful.
--
Rich
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? MarinoBuia 7/15/12 10:36 AM

Il giorno domenica 15 luglio 2012 19:12:25 UTC+2, rjhintz ha scritto:
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rjhintz 7/15/12 10:54 AM
Sometimes long roads can't be modified in their entirety.  You have to modify them segment by segment.  I left a comment on this edit.

The blue square (that I don't see  myself in this case, but I'm familiar with it)  is just some Map Maker bug, which you can generally ignore.

If you can't correct an error, submit feedback explaining the issue.  If that doesn't work in a couple of weeks, submit an issue using Issue Tracker.
--
Rich
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? chris 7/30/12 10:12 AM

What are your thoughts about this?

Craig
RER and Advocate for Canada
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 8/12/12 2:56 AM
It was good of you to label your comment as OFF TOPIC but really you should have started a new topic instead. This is a common problem in the forums and it makes it more difficult for everyone to find and follow issues and / or ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for helping to keep forum threads on topic!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Fayizan 8/12/12 11:43 PM
I also vote for resolving the Category issue
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Fayizan 8/13/12 6:02 AM
Increasing Draw Lines more than 5kms and increasing more points while adding a feature
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? CNR 8/14/12 3:11 AM
Let this thread is treated as Closed.
No further comments on this thread

--------------
CNR
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? MNUK 8/22/12 7:41 PM
On Saturday, 31 December 2011 16:19:59 UTC, blissfulight  wrote:
> It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):
>

> Categories.

Add the UK to Map Maker
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? HaysiKing 9/6/12 7:52 PM
Categories...
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? NickCT 9/8/12 3:24 PM
Having just joined mapmaker, I can't help but feel it lacks a lot of simplicity and ease-of-use that makes other Google Products so great. I get a little frustrated that it sometimes takes months for new business locations to get put into Google maps. Yelp is run loops around Google maps when it comes to promptness.

Frankly, I think the folks at Google need to take a step back and rework some of the fundementals of Map Maker. If they don't, Google Maps risks atrophy.

Simplify, simplify Google.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TollFreeCaller 9/10/12 8:51 AM
I would like to see if Google can resolve completely not understanding a coordinate grid system to properly locate an address.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 9/10/12 10:06 AM
@TollFree

Could you share some more information about your comment? What are they not understanding? I'm sure other mappers would like to know more about what you are referring to.

Thanks!
Craig.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TollFreeCaller 9/10/12 7:03 PM
The coordinate grid system contains Directional coordinates that allows a person to find a location without a street name.

e.g. N59 W25039 Xxxx Street. Translation: North 59 and West 25039 the equivalent of 250th street west.
Typically with this system the streets going north/south are all numbered and the streets going east/west are named (cities).
In the countryside it is rather simple if you are currently at N50 and W250xx you drive north until you get to N59 and you are on top of your destination.

The problem is that Google stinks at coordinate based addressing locations. Not even close in many instances.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 9/10/12 7:24 PM
What I've seen is that Google was just fine with a coordinate system; but as people added businesses and such, and Google said "I think that's here", but the users said "No, it's here"; whenever mistakes were made that started to corrupt the data.  Mistakes include wrongly locating the marker, mistyping the address, and the classic Places corrupting the address due to not enforcing an entry format.  Whatever the source of the mistake; when one address was mislocated, and then a new POI with a similar address is guesstimated;  the system now has the conflict of the grid system says it should be in one spot, but the previously mapped POIs indicate differently.  Over time more mistakes compound the issues.
(unknown) 9/10/12 7:41 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TollFreeCaller 9/10/12 7:49 PM
What I see is Google defaulting and just giving you the center of the street.

However, when you put something in like Blumengasse 37, Wien, Österreich it nails it exactly correctly.
309 E Capitol Drive Hartland, WI? Again, extremely accurate.

Anything with a Cartesian coordinate number? Likely to fail miserably.

N64 W24678 Main, Sussex, WI ----- More Google fail. The real location is about a mile west of where the pin on the map is located.

So, from what I've seen is that Google is rather poor with a coordinate system.

On Monday, September 10, 2012 9:24:28 PM UTC-5, Flash wrote:
What I've seen is that Google was just fine with a coordinate system; but as people added businesses and such, and Google said "I think that's here", but the users said "No, it's here"; whenever mistakes were made that started to corrupt the data.  Mistakes include wrongly locating the marker, mistyping the address, and the classic Places corrupting the address due to not enforcing an entry format.  Whatever the source of the mistake; when one address was mislocated, and then a new POI with a similar address is guesstimated;  the system now has the conflict of the grid system says it should be in one spot, but the previously mapped POIs indicate differently.  Over time more mistakes compound the issues.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 9/10/12 8:14 PM
Oh, you literally want to put in a grid reference.  I thought you meant you wanted Google to better use grids to estimate addresses.

To be honest, I don't see the purpose, it's not something many people I know are looking to use; and thus implementing it and finding the reference data would pull a lot of resources from things people would use.  It's not really something to be "fixed" as it was never advertised as a feature of Map Maker and thus is not broken.  And in the end, I think you're more asking for this as a Maps feature than a Map Maker feature.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TollFreeCaller 9/10/12 8:21 PM
Flash, I see you aren't understanding me. That N and W number IS the actual address just like 123 Peachtree Street is a common address for you. Welcome to about 5% of the addressing schemes in the US.

So, if I have 50 Peachtree streets in the area in multiple communities (I'm talking to you Atlanta) a coordinate grid isn't a bad thing to have as it tells you where in reference to where you currently are.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 9/11/12 1:09 AM
@TollFree,

Google is not necessarily to blame. Data comes from many sources and I'm sure you're aware that there probably isn't a data set that is error-free. Managing data from multiple sources and trying to account for error and then having systems to have even more data added and edited can yield only so much accuracy. I'm with you in that it can always be better. If you have specific ideas on how to accomplish this, I suggest you document them in the Issue Tracker so they can be supported by the community and be officially recognized by Google.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TollFreeCaller 9/11/12 8:09 AM
Moose,

What I'm aware is that Google started simply defaulting to street center much more often.This is the current solution for an issue 5% of the US addressing systems.
I feel this is a poor choice because the grid is established. Just follow the grid and get much closer. They can put a range circle around the point if it makes them feel better is what I'm thinking.

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:09:13 AM UTC-5, Nuclear Moose wrote:
@TollFree,

Google is not necessarily to blame. Data comes from many sources and I'm sure you're aware that there probably isn't a data set that is error-free. Managing data from multiple sources and trying to account for error and then having systems to have even more data added and edited can yield only so much accuracy. I'm with you in that it can always be better. If you have specific ideas on how to accomplish this, I suggest you document them in the Issue Tracker so they can be supported by the community and be officially recognized by Google.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 9/11/12 8:40 AM
Thanks for your feedback - I learned something new today!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? blissfulight 9/20/12 10:20 PM
9 months now, and no progress has been made on categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nuclear Moose 9/21/12 5:45 PM
...or community engagement or communication...
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Khun 9/23/12 3:21 AM
shapes become irregular while adding in extra shapes
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 9/23/12 11:31 AM
Too many drafts are showing in my account, which does not have an option Discard.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 9/23/12 11:35 PM

Unable to read properly " Save as draft and continue later ", in Internet explorer 9, due to wrong color combination set by Google team, please also make it fully compatible with internet explorer, most of time it crash.

Some times it does not save the edits, then i use option "Save as draft and continue later" after use of this option, i am always able to save the edit.

Thanks!

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:49:59 PM UTC+5:30, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rahim 9/24/12 2:45 AM

@Vishal - The drafts issue is being discussed here. I'd request you to follow this thread for future updates.

~Rahim
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Berend Veldkamp 9/25/12 3:28 AM
Yes, I want a 'splitting lines' feature too!

Op zondag 29 januari 2012 22:01:07 UTC+1 schreef GMapper het volgende:
I would like to be able to split a road into two segments without needing to add (and then delete) temporary stub road segments.   This would be something similar to OSM's capability to select a node along a road and then click on their "scissor" icon....and then there are 2 segments.    Very useful for making edits applicable to a small portion of a longer road.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? learningmindsgroup akure 9/29/12 8:19 AM
Please can you tell me how to use coordinates to map on google map maker.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 9/29/12 10:31 AM
Many times when i try to edit some feature, i get an error message, "Please enter a valid Url. Dismiss"
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mara Winslow 9/29/12 7:57 PM
'Bots!

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Vishal Saini <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQec5gfxk71fRxL2Woo0xd2nbUX_VKav-H1d@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Many times when i try to edit some feature, i get an error message, "Please enter a valid Url. Dismiss"

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 9/30/12 9:21 AM
It is an issue in map maker India.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/2/12 4:28 PM
A variation on this would be gated roads - whole stretches blocked off during a range of time (military gate comes to mind)

On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:12:24 PM UTC-5, R01k wrote:
For people like me who use Google Navigation very often, it is really important to have the turn time restrictions for the intersections that have them. When Google Navigation indicates you to make a turn when it is not allowed it could cause a huge problem.

That's why it would be useful to be able to enter that info through GMM.

Issue 1810: Turn Restrictions - Time restraints: http://goo.gl/35omj
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? PaulP 10/3/12 10:09 AM
Idea: Enforce explicit reasons for edit denial are given back to the owner of the edit, with constructive advice on how it could / should have been done. Perhaps a dropdown list for the reviewers with frequently used reasons, with links to reference examples of how a particular feature is supposed to look (eg. link to an expertly completed school or strip mall) would greatly help out newbies like me.

This goes double for the automated reviewers, since they are completely under Google's control. I just got a "The creation of the feature has been denied. Your change is automatically discarded. commented by Google Automated Moderator 2", with no 7 day warning, which is not exactly encouraging, especially since my edit was simply to correct the name and address formatting of  another's edit.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 10/3/12 11:34 AM
Korean, Japanese, Russian names are adding in some features.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/5/12 6:40 PM
Very annoying for something like a mall where everything has the same address, so it all stacks and has to be sorted through one by one, waiting for each to be approved.  With 30+ businesses, it is very tedious.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:27:10 PM UTC-5, zxrayz wrote:
Fix ALL 'Rendering Errors'

(Only 1 item! Ah, a top 3 or 10 item list maybe...  I agree that categories is a BIG one too, but if items don't display on the map the way they are supposed to, all of it makes no difference.)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? mmm 10/7/12 3:40 PM
Removing intersection: when there is an attribute mismatch it should show which attributes mismatch and let me decide which should be used. Now often all attributes which I can see match but still receiving error The segments that terminate at this intersection have attributes that don't match. Please fix the mismatched attributes and try deleting the intersection again..
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? EmperorJJ1 10/7/12 10:23 PM
Help center instructions that are accurate to whats currently possible in map maker
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? mmm 10/8/12 1:55 PM
Let MapMakers modify "toll" attribute.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 10/12/12 12:22 AM
Google Automated Building POI Transformer has start deleting Polygons.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Andrew Sawyer 10/12/12 12:37 AM
Read the MapMaker Announcement forum/subforum, it will explain that Bot.
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of Vishal Saini <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 00:22:41 -0700 (PDT)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of Vishal Saini <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker?

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? evb 10/13/12 11:21 AM
When adding a boundary shape I'd like to be able to specify the location of the entrance. Map Maker creates the marker in the center of the shape, which is apparently used by Maps to create directions, resulting in incorrect directions in Maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 10/13/12 12:22 PM

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 11:21:48 AM UTC-7, evb wrote:
When adding a boundary shape I'd like to be able to specify the location of the entrance. Map Maker creates the marker in the center of the shape, which is apparently used by Maps to create directions, resulting in incorrect directions in Maps.

The boundary has no bearing on directions.  Directions uses roads and paths.  You need to properly draw those in.

People constantly try moving the label to the entrance edge.  We deny those edits, they are not correct.

I would be curious, however, to see an example of where you think this would be a beneficial enhancement.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? dan n 10/15/12 8:15 AM
Fast or Short routes, It has me going through neighborhoods with my 30' trailer. I can't use it.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 10/19/12 8:48 AM
Denied features are still showing they need review, which was automatically denied, after Three days by Google automated reminder.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 10/19/12 1:09 PM
The automated reminder just warns them that they need to respond.  They have another 4 days before it will be denied.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 10/20/12 12:58 AM
I am saying Denied features, Please read carefully.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 10/20/12 10:34 AM
Would you care to share an example?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 10/21/12 5:56 AM

http://goo.gl/BhPZe

http://goo.gl/uKMpV

http://goo.gl/FwXFc

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:04:46 PM UTC+5:30, Flash wrote:
Would you care to share an example?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/23/12 6:52 PM
Hi,
Not a completely unrelated question, (not related either) but which has been troubling me for some time.

How do you get such small links to the feature?

When I copy the web address of a feature, it ends up being a real long one.
Where do I find this short link?

David
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mara Winslow 10/23/12 7:37 PM
Wish granted, David,

On your right on the edit page you can opt for a short URL (check the box) or plug in the long URL and click for a short one at this site:
http://is.gd/

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/23/12 10:25 PM
Thanks Mara,

Got it!

regards
David
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Wthrwyz 10/24/12 7:36 AM
http://goo.gl also works for shortening random URLs (and it is a Google service). :)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/24/12 7:24 PM
Thanks! This google url shortner is cool - i just tried it, works with
my blog urls too!

http://goo.gl/eyQgw - See?

regards
David

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of
Wthrwyz <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQcDOWrwP2SQLw_luS1vBdpUXGrmY-xRF6HF@googlegroups.com>
wrote:
> http://goo.gl also works for shortening random URLs (and it is a Google
> service). :)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 10/24/12 8:01 PM
I would appreciate introduction of a category "Shop/Kiosk"

Convenience store does not fit into the category requirement for small kiosks, Establishment seems too general, restaurant too grand.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Dr Jay 10/27/12 8:12 PM

No android app for google map maker :(
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Kanu DEsai 10/28/12 9:30 PM
I want to same Jai.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Senad 11/3/12 1:06 PM
Hi,

I'd like to FINALLY see Bosnia and Herzegovina available to map in Google Map Maker.

Regards,
Senad
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Mit Mold 11/6/12 6:45 AM
The ability for anyone to go and mark a business as closed is absolutely ridiculous. It automatically triggers a call from someone at google who can't speak english, you basically have a 50% chance of whether or not your listing stays up or not. Its so easy for competitors to negatively impact your business in this ways its crazy.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:53:59 PM UTC-6, Jaxcoffee wrote:
The inability for anyone to change business information on an edit or listing page that is not a verified owner, or is authorized by the owner to make changes
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Subodh Thokchom 11/6/12 12:34 PM
roads overlaps the river running along side it in Map mode!!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 11/6/12 8:34 PM
Sorry Mit, but that's not how it works.  Not just anyone can mark your business closed; they need to be reviewed and the majority of them are rejected.

In a addition, marking a business closed is a Map Maker function.  Calls from Places come about from the quality audits they are doing as of late.  The will audit you if your address is a known virtual office or mailbox, if you're in a residential area but not hiding your address, if your in one of the commonly spammed categories, if you've made changes to your listing recently, etc.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Fenris 11/8/12 3:09 AM
Slow updating, and while its updating it shows as duplicate features of some road changes I made!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Prem Chandra 11/9/12 8:26 PM
Duplicates.

Also any way by which GPX can be loaded as overlays in one step
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Kanu Desai 11/9/12 9:32 PM
Insufficient Services and Management provided by GMM Team.

Users work On GMM very perfect but, GMM team works very bad however, they are paid by Google.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rudolph Gutierrez 11/12/12 6:39 AM
Directions to Gold's Gym on Via Metro route 551
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? erk 11/18/12 7:47 AM
A lot of businesses would have no data if only the owners or authorized editor was allowed to edit info. When a business opens in my area I find all info and add it. If it closes I'll close it.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Dr. Zircon 11/18/12 12:55 PM
I have noticed that a number of the buildings I mapped a year ago have gotten misaligned with the satellite imagery at some point, all of them in my local area are shifted about the same amount and in the same direction.  But to correct these, I have to move every dot of the building corners.  I would like to be able to simply move a building, the whole thing, to align with the imagery, slide the whole thing at the same time, rather than having to essentially redraw the whole thing.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rob 11/19/12 2:57 PM
Definitely need a way to select everything in a given view (lines, buildings, POI, etc) and move them to allign with the satellite imagery. There are massive amounts features i have created that are correct except they are misaligned by a some amount.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? James Lan 11/20/12 10:06 PM
the Map Maker is not user friendly enough, sometimes confusing.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 11/20/12 11:32 PM
I do not like the new format of mapmaper history, (new as in
introduced around 15 November 2012) which appears on the left side.
Looks nicer, but is less functional.

It looks nice, but I would prefer something more functional - with a
larger number of edits visible at a glance.

Also, do we really need my image to be visible here? It occupies 3
centimeters of my screen space! It would be better if only the edit
appears, under "my edits" and "edits in my neighbourhood" with the
name of the editor.
It would be better if the image of the editor appears when we click
individual edits to interrogate.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Linda Sibisi 11/21/12 12:36 AM
Hi there I would like you guys to help me make My places "Kagiso" to be the primary place for my Communities City.

Yours Sincerely
Linda Sibisi
Project Manager/Webmaster
Kagiso

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Assan 11/23/12 6:05 AM
The ability to move the road's (A) and (B) heads when you try to fix the alignment of a road, plus to be able to fix a road's alignment disregarding any intersections attached to it.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Zartosh 11/23/12 7:07 AM

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=9-fVqALUFq1rPldalg&iwloc=0_0&t=h&dtab=overview   Approve my village road please
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? James Lan 11/24/12 5:27 AM

in Toronto area, there are many errors in those 'intersections' that don't exist, actually one road is on a bridge across the other.
plus bridges are usually not shown in g maps

On Nov 23, 2012 9:06 AM, "Assan via General Map Maker" <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQfPEL1ADJ6DHL1mO9Hnrx-bm-Xx4WuicQfW@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The ability to move the road's (A) and (B) heads when you try to fix the alignment of a road, plus to be able to fix a road's alignment disregarding any intersections attached to it.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Robert Crump 11/24/12 10:29 AM
can't seem to just place a marker without google auto-populating all manner of suggestions from it's database. I just want to place a marker not supplement google data-mining operation...... :\
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Kingston-Mapper 12/8/12 9:13 PM
The ability to add new railways that intersect with other railways. I keep getting the following error:

Failed to create feature

Internal Error[yPJQ1MNdrN]: Geometric Error: Failed to intersect line with road segment

Please correct errors and submit again or cancel

Location: http://goo.gl/maps/3rwA8

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Duffer 12/8/12 10:39 PM
Internal Error: Some part of this change seems bad. Please report this error
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Nicholas Vetrovec 12/10/12 9:38 PM
Clear definition of all categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rob 12/10/12 9:48 PM

A Category List would be amazing, it's a much talked about feature

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Rosa 12/12/12 8:02 AM
the place to post your review requests is -

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 12/12/12 12:27 PM
Kingston-Mapper - I played around in the area you are having issues within.  It is only that once segment that won't create intersections, it must be corrupt.  Use Report This in the edit menu or Report a Problem in Maps.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? JAIDEEP SINGH 12/14/12 4:19 AM

On Saturday, 31 December 2011 21:49:59 UTC+5:30, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories. duplicate issue
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? JAIDEEP SINGH 12/14/12 4:31 AM
dear kindly avail the light version of google map maker...... map maker take more data and take time to open

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Eugen Ro 12/14/12 7:20 AM
http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=3264&q=road%20runner&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Summary%20Stars%20Internal

When mapping in remote areas of a country (e.g. a village), usually
all local roads have the same surface type (dirt, in our case, but it could be asphalt in the future :). It would be highly useful in this case to provide a feature/option to "remember" road settings between consecutive adds. E.g. when I draw a new road, in the Attributes tab, there could be a checkbox to "Use these attributes for roads I will add" or something like that. Checking it would persist the road attributes to session state upon Save (session is sufficient, since the feature is intended to add lots of roads in the same place). Future road additions should load attributes from session and populate them into the New Road dialog as defaults (instead of the standard defaults). This behavior should work until the session expires or the user unchecks the checkbox when adding a road. To limit the potential side- effects for new users, I would make this an "experts-only" feature, i.e. add it as an option in Labs mode, next to Road Runner tool and disabled by default.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 12/22/12 9:53 AM

Sometimes we open & close the edit without any change which is in review, after close, the edit shows the message "User made some modifications to the edit after this review", that should not be displayed, please correct this bug.

Thanks

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Timoti Tangiruaine 12/24/12 8:53 PM
I would also suggest this.

On Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:46:34 PM UTC-10, Chris wrote:
The ability to group a collection of edits and submit them for review all at once.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sangram Biswal 12/25/12 12:21 AM
While reviewing I saw lots of people choose wrong categories while adding new features to map! My suggestion is GMM should ask name first then based on their name suggest a category to Mapper  And for new mappers first make a non-video tutorial of basic thing like shops,buildings,schools and also in tutorial tell then to not add any personal  information and one last thing here in India govt made a rule if a phone user registers his/her number in National Do Not Call Service, Publishing his/her number is illegal so make GMM check for that number registered under NDNC or not .

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Abdulaziz AlObaili 12/27/12 8:25 PM
This error that keeps appearing whenever I try to delete an intersection that doesn't exist!

Bad data (Road Section Inconsistent) has been found in this area. Please report this error with a link to this page. Some data in this area is bad and cannot be modified. Please report this error with a link to this page.

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:19:59 PM UTC+3, blissfulight wrote:
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Wthrwyz 12/27/12 10:47 PM
@Abdulaziz AlObaili: You can't delete just an intersection and turn two segments back into one. The system will act like you can, but it will error out every time. The only way to delete an intersection is to delete all segments attached to it, then re-draw the line without a break.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? EmperorJJ1 12/28/12 11:24 PM
Edit road segments never works in google chrome. I have to use IE where it works properly everytime
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 12/29/12 9:49 AM

On Friday, December 28, 2012 11:24:38 PM UTC-8, EmperorJJ1 wrote:
Edit road segments never works in google chrome. I have to use IE where it works properly everytime

Remove the S in the https up in the URL bar and it will work.

Star this issue to say you'd like to get it fixed: Issue 3269
(unknown) 12/29/12 11:33 AM <This message has been deleted.>
(unknown) 12/29/12 11:37 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? ujjwal mandal 12/29/12 11:52 AM
Can any one tell me that when ever I edit anything, it shows that the edit automatically denied. But whatever I edit all the place I personally visit and edit that, but dont know how it happen? kindly help me???
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? ujjwal mandal 12/29/12 11:52 AM
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? EmperorJJ1 12/29/12 1:12 PM
WOW that is crazy. but it worked. I voted on the issue so hopefully they get that fixed but if not thanks!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Matthew McKenna 12/29/12 2:44 PM
When adding a building which is part of a larger campus and shares the schools street/mailing address, am told it is an incorrect address.  Would like to be able to edit in any address I see fit and have other people deny it's correct rather than an algorithm
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Wthrwyz 12/29/12 3:13 PM
The list of available addresses for points is tied to the roads that are nearby. Too far away from the main street and it won't be available. There are some work-arounds for this, including extending the street name into parking lots or onto other streets temporarily in order to get the proper address to show up (always go back and remove it later!). For buildings, it is also acceptable to just leave the address blank if needed.

Allowing anyone to enter any address allows too much bad data through the cracks. The system used to work that way and we are still cleaning up points because of it. The current method forces editors to choose something which at least conforms to the proper data structure. That's just Web Development 101 - always limit what the user can enter if possible because it makes input validation much more reliable.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 12/30/12 11:38 AM
Also, the more data you have sharing the same address, the more likelihood of mergers occurring   You should leave the address out for all the buildings on camps.  After all, when you think of it, it provides no enhancement to the map; but rather it confuses things as the system now does not know where are referring when you type in that address.  There will be enough confusion with the point POIs for the campus departments; don't double it with the buildings also.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? DxC 1/9/13 7:04 AM
It would be nice to have the ability to edit coast lines... perhaps a new category type of land that can render above the base layer(s) but still be below all other layers.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? MethodGT 1/14/13 8:31 PM
The ability to make changes to more road than one if there's an intersection involved.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? osterreich68 1/15/13 12:10 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm new here and I still need some reviews...

This is the link:

Thanks

Op maandag 9 januari 2012 02:22:17 UTC+1 schreef Игл het volgende:
Fix Road Network Has Bad Feature error:

Failed to create feature
Bad data (Road Network Has Bad Feature) has been found in this area. Please report this error with a link to this page. This road segment has badly formatted restrictions, please report this error with a link to this page

Please correct errors and submit again or cancel
(unknown) 1/17/13 6:44 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? David 1/17/13 8:51 PM
A possible solution may be to simply LIST all the shops inside a mall,
under the "description" (especially malls with more than one floor) -
similar to what is done in wikimapia

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Bill Meier via General Map Maker
<google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQeWfKcT1h4e1X6qYUgSo0IgXfMeAf4k1p2_@googlegroups.com>
wrote:
> I agree! There is the same problem in many malls. At times all the buildings
> in the mall share the same street number so if you just route to a street
> number you aren't going to get good directions. I want to be routed into the
> parking lot and "close" to my destination.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Bill Meier 1/18/13 4:21 AM

I think a much better model that I have seen is that you draw the mall as a boundary, give it the name of the mall and then (I think) any location/store inside that should them come up as "contained in" that mall. Maps seems to understand this. Any listing of names done in the description is just going till get out of synch I would think... The old rule of don't list the same information in two places because it will be wrong in one of them! !  Do i have the right model here for containment?

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 1/21/13 9:06 AM
Yes, you are correct, Maps figures out the components of malls itself.  I do not know if the boundary is required; I think it might be intelligent enough to know that if a mall and stores share the same address, then the stores belong in the mall.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? geopgeop (RER CA-NV) 1/21/13 9:51 AM
It should be intelligent enough according to this page: http://support.google.com/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2389714

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Flash via General Map Maker <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQcdFPXUiqwYbxA1ZaCZ6Z-Mx7zeqGBY2Aw9@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Yes, you are correct, Maps figures out the components of malls itself.  I do not know if the boundary is required; I think it might be intelligent enough to know that if a mall and stores share the same address, then the stores belong in the mall.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? AbAF 1/24/13 9:10 AM
I would like to see Google create a downloadable or standalone Map Maker software for easier editing (something like Google Earth). Right now, editing can be cumbersome when internet connection is not good. And as you pan the map, it takes quite a while to load.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 1/28/13 3:13 AM
Unable to send bug report due to non working of New Issue Page : http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/entry , nothing happens when i click Submit Issue button, Thanks

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Joe M. 1/29/13 4:10 PM
What Map Maker can benefit from:

1) Better UI; currently it's not very intuitive forcing you to hunt though various parts of the interface

possible solution to this:
-Incorporate the ability of map making into Google earth with a layer option to filiter out non-relevant info

2)Selecting various continuous segments always seems to result in a non-selected segment, throwing an error when trying to edit a continuous set of segments. The problem seem that although you click it, Map maker doesn't recognize it. In addition Map maker will not note how many discontinuity's there are, forcing editors to go back and forth between pages a handfull of time before even being able to access the editing dropdown page

possible solution to this:

-Note this discontinuity as a banner from the first edit  segments page with a highlighting of the missing segment and an option to include it
-Increase the area around the object that a click would register as 'object being selected'

as a sidenote, I try merging the outlines of buildings and/or their property with the business entity and I always have problems combining the data. Can the developers look into this problem of where the balloons are obliviously over the building/ property outline and suggest/force a merger if the data doesn't already exist?

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 1/30/13 12:05 PM
What do you mean by merging the data?  Are you trying to name the building with the business name?  That is not to be done.  Or are you having issues marking what building the business is in within the business listing (which is the correct way to do it)?
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Goat Eye Cartography 2/1/13 3:06 PM
Google needs to delete the Automated Moderator - it is denying innocent edits, and approving spammy edits!!!
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Denis B 2/3/13 7:41 AM
Regarding bike routes on Google Maps as we are now starting to show long distance routes rather than just routes within urban areas,  I would like to see a change in the zoom levels when bike routes turn on.  During 2012 I added over 1000 miles of rural routes in Ontario, Canada, in close proximity to Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.  Similarly in the U.K. long distance routes have been added probably by Sustrans.  Following these routes on Google Maps is  like going on a mystery tour, not knowing where one is going to end up.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 2/4/13 4:40 AM
Google Automated Moderator is giving wrong approvals.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Gerald Tan 2/7/13 8:42 PM
I would like to see Google put additional categories on buildings with boundaries. It's kinda weird to have a hotel structure without an actual hotel category like it's just a generic building. I'm not sure if this is exactly a something that Google would consider a fix but I'd like to see this anyway. :)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Flash 2/8/13 9:20 AM
Buildings and the establishments within were purposely separated; it created too many issues.  The building could contain more than one establishment (and often does for hotels).
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Karthik R 2/13/13 12:54 AM
Hi,

as a new addition to the Map Maker fraternity from India, the categories provided while adding places need to suit local practices.

That would encourage more number of additions and keep confusions at bay considering that most places and shops have the same name. :D
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Karthik R 2/13/13 12:55 AM
I must agree with this issue.

It truly adds more to the confusion. :-)
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? BTH 2/14/13 12:09 AM
Mobile App for mapmaker.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Vishal Saini 3/2/13 12:06 PM
Listing Editors are giving wrong denials, without a valid reason they are denying. I really don't know what GMM Team is trying to do.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sage1er 3/11/13 4:03 AM

Bonjour, ce qui serait bien c'est, que quand quelqu'un ajoute des panneaux, on puisse voir où ils ont été mis par l'utilisateur
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Bill Meier 3/14/13 8:50 AM
Please have an easy method to show one way roads and turn restrictions. In browse mode or whatever. You can click and get "one way" but which way is it going? There are more one way streets and getting the direction of travel is important of course and without any feedback you can't tell if an existing road is mapped correctly.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Abhinandan B R 3/16/13 1:47 AM
Cannot modify or change some features of the area----Error.
This needs highest priority
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? athi dir 3/16/13 3:08 AM

"Some data in this area is bad and cannot be modified. Please report this error with a link to this page" i am getting this error for every edit i dont know whats the problem
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? rohit 3/16/13 3:13 AM
 i am also facing the same error from about 3 hours
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? athi dir 3/16/13 3:17 AM
i dont know what to do. i am searching for a cure if u find, any do inform ..

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM, rohit via General Map Maker <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQe0YcYWGPFozwoy8HEjGWDnlI6M_bD-b5Rg@googlegroups.com> wrote:
 i am also facing the same error from about 3 hours

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sagar Fundkar 3/16/13 5:30 AM
Couldn't correct the Bad Data Error.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Bill Meier 3/16/13 7:15 AM

I am seeing this all the time today. This is editing in eastern Mass.... Roads or POI ... bad day for Google?

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? LM 3/16/13 7:35 AM
Please fix this error I am getting everywhere, Bad data in area and can't save edit.
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? Sagar Fundkar 3/16/13 7:57 AM
The problem still persist , We are losing Time.

On 16 March 2013 19:45, General Map Maker on behalf of Bill Meier <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I am seeing this all the time today. This is editing in eastern Mass.... Roads or POI ... bad day for Google?

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.

Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? athi dir 3/16/13 10:01 AM
please some one help
Re: Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker? TheUkraineBay 3/18/13 3:44 PM
Hello community! From all Ukrainian cartographers Please fix the errors, namely when editing roads and creating buildings. Recently normally not possible to edit the map and changes require a long approval.

The most common
Some data in this area is bad and cannot be modified. Please report this error with a link to this page.

One of cartographers from Ukraine placed a request for solving this problem - https://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=3776

Please Fix it!

(unknown) 4/4/13 11:13 AM <This message has been deleted.>
More topics »