Code Search Shutdown

Showing 1-21 of 21 messages
Code Search Shutdown Code Search Team 11/2/11 5:38 AM
Hi Folks,

We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
levels.

There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
it in the official announcement.

Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
the appreciation you've shown.

PS As alternatives http://koders.com/  http://opensearch.krugle.org/
http://grepcode.com/ and http://www.antepedia.com have been mentioned
by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Jesse 11/2/11 5:54 AM
I'm not 100% happy google code search is going... But, well, what can you say - decided at the highest levels and having to fight for investment in a project - can't say I haven't been there before...

Will try and make do of your suggestions.

Cheers.

Re: Code Search Shutdown The Configurator 11/3/11 12:08 PM
If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!

What do you mean by that? Of course they're important!
Re: Code Search Shutdown lob...@gmail.com 11/4/11 4:52 AM
Perhaps you'd be allowed to release the source code for google code search, so that other people may improve it and keep it alive?
Re: Code Search Shutdown Alexandre Jasmin 11/5/11 7:31 PM
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately.

Sad

Code Search was an invaluable tool.  :-(
Re: Code Search Shutdown Luis Gustavo Spern Barreto 11/8/11 4:45 AM
Are you kidding me?

On 2 nov, 10:38, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
>
> There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
> search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
> search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
> out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
> Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
> it in the official announcement.
>
> Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
> the appreciation you've shown.
>
> PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepedia.comhave been mentioned
Re: Code Search Shutdown Bogdan Giusca 11/9/11 7:21 AM
On Nov 4, 1:52 pm, "lob...@gmail.com" <lob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you'd be allowed to release the source code for google code search,
> so that other people may improve it and keep it alive?

That's impossible because it uses some proprietary technologies (such
as BigTable) which are also used by Google's main search.

This is the same reason why Google can't spin off any product,
everything they do is based on BigTable.
Re: Code Search Shutdown Albert López 11/10/11 4:45 AM
Bad news for every developer in earth...

Good luck, guys. And thanks for your great work.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Padraig Brady 11/10/11 4:59 AM
This is surprising and disappointing.

Quoting http://www.google.com/about/corporate/company/

"Google’s mission is to organize the world‘s information and make it
universally accessible and useful."

Well I guess source code isn't informative. Hang on‽
Well I guess Google hasn't benefited from freely available source.
Hang on‽

Surely this is beneficial enough to the thousands of Google coders to
keep going, never mind everyone else.

Could perhaps Google open source the project to allow others provide
the service?

cheers,
Pádraig.
Re: Code Search Shutdown dhruvbird 11/10/11 4:43 AM
So, why can't they just release that part which does the code search
and document the BigTable API so that interested parties can
approximate using some other data store and keeping the API the same.
I'm sure that if it's useful, someone will come up with an efficient
implementation of the API in the long run.

Regards,
-Dhruv.
Re: Code Search Shutdown Purui Wang 11/10/11 4:34 PM
Sorry to see such a useful tool goes down.
Is it possible to give us some hint on how you do fast regex searhing? Do you use any index on this?

- Purui

http://nullege.com
A python source code search engine.
Re: Code Search Shutdown Michael 11/11/11 6:36 AM
This service is a great gift to coders.Many coders just don't know
this service, if they do, they will have hard feelings to live without
it.Again, this service is very invaluable, please find a way to keep
it.
On Nov 10, 8:59 pm, Padraig  Brady <pixelb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is surprising and disappointing.
>
> Quotinghttp://www.google.com/about/corporate/company/
Re: Code Search Shutdown R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah 11/10/11 1:50 AM
On Nov 2, 5:38 pm, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
  <snip>

   http://samizdat.mines.edu/howto/HowToBeAProgrammer.html#id2855892 I
wish you guys to have _this_ magic power. Thanks for the all good
works and good fight (that you lost). Keep doing good.

--
  <?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com    Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Isn't there any way to change their minds about code search ?

What about integrating code search features into google.com to keep it
alive at least in a limited manner ?

Why is google removing all the fun and useful projects ?
Have google finally become evil ?
Have google been hit by a money problem ?

All the fun google were with its labs and experiments are being
removed.
I liked google just because they did labs and experiments.

My opinion of google have now changed and based on what google is
doing now i expect my opinion to change to a negative opinion very
soon.

"The young company that was fun, a tiny bit open and sort of not evil
have become old, bitter, evil and above all very boring and hostile /
afraid of new ideas."

Its not totally accurate yet but i predict it will be accurate very
soon.

With what google is doing now i'm worried about what google will do
with its open source projects.
Will google become yet another company hostile to the open source
community ?

On Nov 2, 1:38 pm, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
>
> There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
> search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
> search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
> out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
> Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
> it in the official announcement.
>
> Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
> the appreciation you've shown.
>
> PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepedia.comhave been mentioned
Re: Code Search Shutdown susie 11/21/11 11:09 PM
Hi Vidya,
I'm on the Koders team.  What would make Koders a better alternative
for you?

thanks!
Susie
<susie at blackducksoftware dot com>

> > PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepe...been mentioned

> > by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
> > we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
> > meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
> > thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Vidya Wasi 11/30/11 11:52 AM
Hi Susie.

Here are some pointers:
1. Number one - Caching, that's one of the most important and useful
feature google code search have.
2. Much cleaner and less messy interface. Optimized for the developer.
3. Improve the interface usability.

The answers are right there in front of you.
A simple visual comparison should give enough to start on.
Do a search on both koders and codesearch for example: "ntfs" and
compare the sites.

Codesearch so much better because it has zero clutter, no
distractions.
It's search results are visually better too.

Codesearch isn't perfect but they get close to it.

I can help test beta versions if you like.

To Code search team:
Is there any way at all i can help to change the minds of your stupid
bosses (or who ever made the decision) ?
I'm willing to spend time on keeping code search alive.
What ever i can do to help.

I'm shocked, bewilder and dumbfound of why somebody in their right
mind would shutdown such a useful service.
According to chrome's history statistics i use code search nearly as
much as i use google.com.
Very useful to look-up api usage examples, etc.

Regards...

> > > PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepe...mentioned

> > > by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
> > > we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
> > > meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
> > > thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown susie 11/30/11 9:08 PM
Hi Vidya,
Fair enough, and thank you for the feedback.  Right now we have Code
Sight v2.0 (for private code search) available and we'll be upgrading
Koders to that version, plus scalability enhancements and hopefully a
fix for the common underscore request (to not split a search query at
the underscores).  The interface is new and different than the current
Koders site.  We plan to keep the Koders interface similar to what
you'll see in Code Sight 2.0.
< blackducksoftware dot com / code-sight >
If you do have a chance, let me know what you think!

best,
Susie

Re: Code Search Shutdown David Crane 12/4/11 2:53 PM
Another alternative is SymbolHound: http://symbolhound.com/

It's not exactly the same thing, but it solves some of the same
problems: Instead of searching source code repos, it searches the web
(e.g. sites like stackoverflow) without ignoring special characters.

I am the developer of SymbolHound. It launched just a few weeks ago
and the index should grow a lot in the coming months.

David Crane

On Nov 2, 7:38 am, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
>
> There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
> search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
> search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
> out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
> Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
> it in the official announcement.
>
> Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
> the appreciation you've shown.
>
> PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepedia.comhave been mentioned

> by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
> we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
> meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
> thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Yong Ma 12/6/11 1:22 AM
What a bad news.

I am a android developer. I have get used to search android code with
Google Code Search.

On Nov 2, 8:38 pm, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
>
> There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
> search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
> search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
> out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
> Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
> it in the official announcement.
>
> Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
> the appreciation you've shown.
>
> PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepedia.comhave been mentioned

> by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
> we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
> meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
> thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Ben Boyter 12/18/11 2:17 PM
Another site to consider is http://searchco.de/ which now offers regex
code search. Some examples, http://searchco.de/?q=/[cb]at/
http://searchco.de/?q=%2Fmysql_query%2F+ext%3Aphp

On Nov 2, 11:38 pm, Code Search Team <code-search-answ...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We're quite sorry about the impending shutdown as well, but it's a
> done deal, unfortunately. You may have noticed that things were quite
> passive on our side for the last while, and that's because we had to
> fight to justify any investment in the project. People are also
> definitely sad within the company, but it was decided at the highest
> levels.
>
> There is something of a silver lining.  googlecode.com will take over
> search for their projects, and also take  over hosting the Chromium
> search page. (If ChromiumOS or Android are  important to you, reach
> out to whatever contacts you have at Google *now* and let them know!)
> Not all the details have been nailed down, which is why we didn't put
> it in the official announcement.
>
> Our apologies to you all, for letting you down, and thanks for all of
> the appreciation you've shown.
>
> PS As alternativeshttp://koders.com/ http://opensearch.krugle.org/http://grepcode.com/andhttp://www.antepedia.comhave been mentioned

> by various people. We're not endorsing or not-endorsing or anything,
> we're just mentioning them  so you can try them out, and see if they
> meet your needs, and if there are others, please mention them in this
> thread so people can easily find them.

Re: Code Search Shutdown Tom 1/6/12 12:39 PM
I just did some searching of the Android source using Google Code Search, and some of the alternatives and there was no comparison at all - Google Code Search is miles ahead of anything else.

The closing of Google Code Search will be a big loss to the Android community (amongst others).
More topics »