Is Google Code an abandoned project?

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Is Google Code an abandoned project? Giampaolo Rodola' 5/19/14 9:16 AM
According to the bug tracker there are dozens of outstanding issues which have been opened for years:
...and "what's new"'s last update goes back to over a year ago:
I'd like to ask Google Code engineers whether we should consider GC an abandoned platform and/or whether there are plans to shut it down in the near future.
Re: Is Google Code an abandoned project? augie 5/19/14 10:47 AM

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
According to the bug tracker there are dozens of outstanding issues which have been opened for years:

Some of these long-open issues are just going to stay open until we get to them.

...and "what's new"'s last update goes back to over a year ago:

We've been really bad about keeping that updated, sorry.

I'd like to ask Google Code engineers whether we should consider GC an abandoned platform and/or whether there are plans to shut it down in the near future.

It's not Google's policy to comment on future product plans. All I can tell you is that we're still here :)

Re: Is Google Code an abandoned project? Giampaolo Rodola' 5/23/14 7:34 AM
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Augie Fackler <au...@google.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
According to the bug tracker there are dozens of outstanding issues which have been opened for years:

Some of these long-open issues are just going to stay open until we get to them.

Well, that is not very helpful. I understand Google policy about not commenting about future product plans, and I'm OK with that, but explicitly avoiding to comment about whether you will *ever* get to those issues or whether there's still interest on your part in maintaining GC as a hosting platform is something *completely different*.
From a new comer perspective knowing such a thing in advance would make a difference in deciding whether starting a new project on GC or sticking with some other actively maintained hosting solution like github or bitbucket. Even if GC is free I think you owe your users at least that much, otherwise it would be wiser to at least explicitly warn them that GC is no longer maintained and that it might end up being shut down sooner or later.

Re: Is Google Code an abandoned project? Giampaolo Rodola' 5/27/14 4:37 AM
For those of you who are interested here's a blog post on why I decided to move my projects to github: