Re: [google-appengine] WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group?

Showing 1-23 of 23 messages
unk...@googlegroups.com 11/21/11 9:10 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [google-appengine] WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group? Jeff Schnitzer 11/22/11 3:57 AM
Not moved, copied.  This is almost certainly someone using Google Groups to (try to) game search engine rankings.

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Tapir <tapi...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/American-porn2/search?group=American-porn2&q=app+engine&qt_g=Search+this+group

I am the 20%

unk...@googlegroups.com 11/22/11 7:24 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [google-appengine] Re: WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group? Jeff Schnitzer 11/22/11 9:17 AM
I am confused.  Here is a post of mine on the spam group:

Here is my post in the original group (still there!):

Looks like a straight-up copy.  Are you sure you were looking in the right group for the original?  ie google-appengine vs google-appengine-java?

The group should be yanked, yes, but not panicked over :-)

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Tapir <tapi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is EXACTLY moved.
It seems the Google Groups has secure holes.
I have reported it to the Google Groups team.

On Nov 22, 7:57 pm, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> Not moved, copied.  This is almost certainly someone using Google Groups to
> (try to) game search engine rankings.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Tapir <tapir....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/American-porn2/search?group=American-p...

> > --

> I am the 20%

I am the 20%

Re: [google-appengine] Re: WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group? barryhunter 11/22/11 9:36 AM
Some are being moved

Take
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/b4ecfbc3d48342c3/60edbc94c36ee629
Only shows two posts.

Rest of the posts are here
http://groups.google.com/group/American-porn2/browse_thread/thread/fadf3050b86580d9/8673d49e01b4c63f?lnk=gst&q=app+engine#8673d49e01b4c63f

(they appear to be moved, rather than simply copied, as they have the
right sender, and missing from the original group)

Checking in Gmail (I'm subscribed to the group by email), I received
all four posts via the group originally for that thread.

Your profile
https://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=yjPEIRMAAABY6fDofa0rTjyZxpXbZJ8UCrTwKYbraL2wE_wkV0bY1A
looks interesting too. Posts in all sorts of funny groups.

Re: [google-appengine] Re: WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group? Jeff Schnitzer 11/22/11 10:12 AM
Fascinating, you're right - it looks like Google Groups is under attack.  I just found a post of mine now missing from the original group:

Wow.  This completely mangles the appengine group archives.  I take it back, it's time to panic :-)

Jeff
RE: [google-appengine] Re: WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group? Brandon Wirtz 11/22/11 10:42 AM

Must be my searches for a mermaid costume to wear to meetings with Google spilled over to the forums…. Dupe Posts often get deleted from groups, and if a spam group forwards posts to make it looked well trafficked it builds ranking.

Google Groups is a haven for spammers.  Using the ListServe (email) is a great way to make sure you get everything and that your messages are seen, and you see everything.