Virtual host / ServeMux project?

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Virtual host / ServeMux project? Kyle Wolfe 12/9/13 2:32 PM
I'm was kicking around the idea of my first real project being a standalone "virtual host" handler for routing multiple domains on port x to other services within the network like an apache virtual host would. I see that there is ServeMux however from what I am reading this would require those services to be part of the same binary since its routing to a handler.

So 1) am I missing anything that would make this project not useful and 2) anyone know of one that exists already.
Re: [go-nuts] Virtual host / ServeMux project? Wes Freeman 12/9/13 2:35 PM
Not to discourage you, but depending what you're looking for, maybe gorilla/mux can handle it?

Wes

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Kyle Wolfe <kyle.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm was kicking around the idea of my first real project being a standalone "virtual host" handler for routing multiple domains on port x to other services within the network like an apache virtual host would. I see that there is ServeMux however from what I am reading this would require those services to be part of the same binary since its routing to a handler.

So 1) am I missing anything that would make this project not useful and 2) anyone know of one that exists already.

Re: [go-nuts] Virtual host / ServeMux project? Wes Freeman 12/9/13 3:11 PM
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood and thought you just wanted to route on hostnames. So, you want to do that, but also forward requests?
Re: Virtual host / ServeMux project? mgutz 12/9/13 3:28 PM
a reverse proxy? azer/boxcars on github

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:32:23 PM UTC-8, Kyle Wolfe wrote:
I'm was kicking around the idea of my first real project being a standalone "virtual host" handler for routing multiple domains on port x to other services within the network like an apache virtual host would. I see that there is ServeMux however from what I am reading this would require those services to be part of the same binary since its routing to a handler.

So 1) am I missing anything that would make this project not useful and 2) anyone know of one that exists already.
Re: Virtual host / ServeMux project? Rick Tait 12/9/13 4:30 PM
i could be misunderstanding (or projecting!!!), but to me it sounds like Kyle might want a combo of gorilla/mux + nginx's vhost location+upstream functionality? gorilla/mux can certainly do it, it just isn't necessarily the prettiest (nicely packaged) thing in the whole world.

kyle, if i'm on the right track, i would LOVE to see something like this. easily-configurable multiple vhost+routing without having to recompile every time i add a new vhost (etc).

forgive if i'm way off base!

RMT.

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:32:23 PM UTC-8, Kyle Wolfe wrote:
I'm was kicking around the idea of my first real project being a standalone "virtual host" handler for routing multiple domains on port x to other services within the network like an apache virtual host would. I see that there is ServeMux however from what I am reading this would require those services to be part of the same binary since its routing to a handler.

So 1) am I missing anything that would make this project not useful and 2) anyone know of one that exists already.
Re: Virtual host / ServeMux project? Kyle Wolfe 12/10/13 7:12 AM
gorilla/mux seems to be the same thing. it would require a restart of the service if any one of the hosts need an update because it routes to a handler. I am suggesting more of a proxy, but boxcars might be a little overkill as well.

What I had in mind would start a service on port 80 / 443 and act as a proxy to defined services based on host name. Most setups would route to localhost on a different port number.

virtualhost - port 80
foo.net -> localhost:81
bar.net -> localhost:82
sub.bar.net -> localhost:83

Now each service can be taken down independently. Most likely would have a simple web ui to add hosts without taking down the virtual host service as well and save a config file for when a restart does occur.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Virtual host / ServeMux project? Sol 12/10/13 7:54 AM
For development I use this https://github.com/qrtz/livedev
It is not meant for production use but it might serve as starting point or just inspiration.

Re: Virtual host / ServeMux project? Kevin Gillette 12/10/13 11:43 AM
Writing a hot-reconfigurable virtual-host revproxy is pretty specific: I wouldn't expect any existing Go project that's either (but not all of) hot-reconfigurable or domain-routes or is a reverse proxy to fulfill this need. It's also not too hard to write from scratch in Go.