Log sleep manually?

Showing 1-16 of 16 messages
Log sleep manually? Niko 6/2/12 3:05 PM
Hi,

as I understand it, it's currently not possible to "manually" log sleep, without having a sleep-period already previously logged by the FitBit-device itself, correct? Could you let me know why this is so?

Have in mind that it is not possible to create overlapping log entries as well as entries for time periods, which have no associated data from tracker device.

My app offers users the possibility to manually log a variety of stats, but I unfortunately can't include an option to log sleep-periods at the moment, as the API doesn't support this.

[From a user-standpoint: I personally don't use the physical sleep-tracker feature of the FitBit, but would still like to be able to record my sleep patterns (manually).]

Thanks,
Best regards,
Nick

P.S.: I love the API, you really did a great job :-)!
Re: Log sleep manually? Pavel Risenberg 6/3/12 1:42 AM
Hi Niko,

Thanks for the good words! You are right, it wouldn't be possible for now to create a sleep record via API (or website) if there would be no tracker data associated with that time period, as effectively we would not be able to link any insights (like sleep quality) to this record. That said, I think it is worth considering to allow this to just keep track of sleep duration, we will see if this could be done short-term.

– Pavel
Re: Log sleep manually? Niko 6/3/12 10:19 AM
Hi Pavel,

thanks for your quick reply and also for considering to add the possibility to log sleep without associated tracker-data :)!

I've seen at least two other API-users who ran into this problem:
http://twitter.com/jwendtRR/statuses/98811782776373249

I definitely see your reasons behind implementing it this way (i.e. needing to match up sleep data with existing insights that can only be provided by the actual tracker), but I think that the option to simply log the "time slept" would be helpful for many FitBit-users, too.

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Nick
Re: Log sleep manually? Rob 9/4/12 12:48 PM
Hi

Different question.  I need to correct a manual log entry for sleep- time.  Somehow logged a 20+ hour sleep day (how I wish...).  Can you let me know how to correct that? Currently when i try to reenter the correct data, the error message says there is already data recorded.

Thanks

Rob
Re: Log sleep manually? Pavel Risenberg 9/5/12 2:15 AM
Hi Rob,

The best way to do it would be to delete and create the log entry once again with correct details. No data will be lost as the sleep analysis is based on the tracker data, which will be still there.

– Pavel
Re: Log sleep manually? Rob 9/5/12 5:54 AM
Thank Paul, I will try again to delete, but did not seem to have the option before.
Re: Log sleep manually? Rob 9/5/12 7:36 AM
Pavel

Oops, auto correct again...sorry about misspelling your name

re my data problem, for some reason I cannot find an option to delete.  Probably right in front of me, but don't see it.  Any advice where I would find the delete option?

Thanks

Rob
Re: Log sleep manually? Pavel Risenberg 9/5/12 11:02 AM
Re: Log sleep manually? Rob 9/5/12 6:32 PM
Thanks, but being a use and not a developer - I'm not able to use (that is have not clue how to use) the data at the link.

I just want to delete one day that has a 20+ hour error.

Is there an easy way to do so?  I don't see a delete or edit feature anywhere.

Thanks

Rob
Re: Log sleep manually? Gerry 9/9/12 11:17 PM
I am just getting started with the API so I am interested in this discussion as my plan was to use ZEO Sleep Manager data as I consider it a more accurate assessment of sleep quality..

Thanks,
Gerald
Re: Log sleep manually? Niko 10/12/12 6:25 AM
Hi,

are there updates on this issue? I think an option to log sleep via an app would be very valuable for people who don't use the tracker to log their sleep. I see the point of overlapping log-entries, but if there is no tracker-logged sleep period at all, there is no overlap.

Thanks,
Nick
Re: Log sleep manually? Niko 11/19/13 5:50 AM
Hi,

any news? The "overlapping" issue could be solved by rejecting new logs if there is already a log present for the same period. A lot of my app's users have asked whether I could implement sleep-logging, but I unfortunately had to tell them that it isn't possible with the current API. I personally find wearing the Fitbit sleeve with the tracker at night uncomfortable and too much of a hassle, so I would really appreciate an option to log sleep via the API (without preexitsting tracker data).

Thanks,
Nick
Re: Log sleep manually? casa...@gmail.com 11/26/13 5:32 AM
Hello,
I have also erroneously posted a 24-hour sleep and it is throwing off all of my data.  I don't see a way to edit or delete this entry.  What to do?
Thanks,
Lucia

On Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:05:55 PM UTC-4, Niko wrote:
Re: Log sleep manually? Momchil 12/28/13 10:31 AM
Any updates on being able to log sleep in the past? I have several years of data from my CPAP machine, and I'd love to be able to import it into FitBit. Obviously, I won't have FitBit data for that time period since I just bought my fitbit.
Re: [Fitbit API] Re: Log sleep manually? Jeremiah Cohick 12/30/13 3:02 PM
Hi Momchil,

You have always been able to create sleep log records before the date you joined Fitbit*. You can do it via the website at <https://www.fitbit.com/sleep> or via the API (documentation at <https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API-Log-Sleep>).

*The Fitbit epoch is January 1, 2009. While you can create entries prior to this date, the time series endpoints will get a little wonky when dealing with dates before this date.

Jeremiah Lee Cohick
API Engineer, Fitbit

On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Momchil Kyurkchiev <mkyur...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any updates on being able to log sleep in the past? I have several years of data from my CPAP machine, and I'd love to be able to import it into FitBit. Obviously, I won't have FitBit data for that time period since I just bought my fitbit.

Re: [Fitbit API] Re: Log sleep manually? Jeremiah Cohick 12/30/13 3:04 PM
Hi Lucia,

You can edit your sleep log entries via the website at <https://www.fitbit.com/sleep/> or via the API (documentation at <https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API-Get-Sleep> and <https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API-Delete-Sleep-Log>).

Jeremiah Lee Cohick
API Engineer, Fitbit