Re: Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans?

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Re: Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Jan Honza Odvarko 1/22/13 6:20 AM
On Jan 22, 3:13 pm, Luís de Sousa <luis.a.de.so...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm one of those folk ever more reliant on Firebug, it is very useful on
> enterily different projects and works remarkably well. But it has this
> unbearable white background that can get quite painful sometimes. It'd be
> great if something like the gedit Oblivion theme could be used instead.
>
> Is this something possibly today? How?
Yes, you should be able to create a new theme
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Themes

All Firebug CSS files are under classic dir:
https://github.com/firebug/firebug/tree/master/extension/skin/classic

So, the new theme would bring something like
https://github.com/firebug/firebug/tree/master/extension/skin/oblivion

We don't have new themes development in our roadmap, but
we are keen to help anyone who'd like to create it.

Honza

> Or is it something in the plans for
> future development?
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Luís
Re: Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Luís de Sousa 1/24/13 2:00 AM

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:20:36 PM UTC+1, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:

We don't have new themes development in our roadmap, but
we are keen to help anyone who'd like to create it.

 Hi Jan, I've followed the link you furnished, but it only explains how to create new skins to the browser itself, not to Firefox.

Since it all seems based on CSS, it doesn't look that difficult to start fiddeling around with background colours and such. How could I start trying this in my system? Are these CSS files accessible in the Firefox install?

Thank you,

Luís
Re: Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Jan Honza Odvarko 1/24/13 3:17 AM
Take a look at my post here:
http://www.softwareishard.com/blog/firebug/hacking-on-firebug/

It explains how to check out Firebug source code and also how to
provide a patch. As you mentioned, mostly you just need to
change the CSS files...

Honza

Re: [firebug] Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? dmccunney 1/24/13 9:31 AM
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Luís de Sousa
<luis.a....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm one of those folk ever more reliant on Firebug, it is very useful on
> enterily different projects and works remarkably well. But it has this
> unbearable white background that can get quite painful sometimes. It'd be
> great if something like the gedit Oblivion theme could be used instead.
>
> Is this something possibly today? How? Or is it something in the plans for
> future development?

First, install Jason Barnabe's Stylish extension, from
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

Stylish lets you apply arbitrary CSS called UserStyles based on what
you are viewing.  Because Firefox itself is something rendered by
Gecko, and the look and feel is determined by XUL, widgets, and CSS,
stylish can alter its appearance too.

After Stylish is installed, go to
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/all/firebug, and see whether any
of the contributed styles to alter Firebug do what you want.

> Luís
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
Re: [firebug] Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Luís de Sousa 2/19/13 12:22 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm using Blank Your Monitor and it re-styles Firebug as well. The only problem is that you don't see breakpoint symbols, nor the current line being executed, but still quite better than the white background.

Regards.
Re: [firebug] Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Jan Honza Odvarko 2/19/13 3:57 AM
Where I can download the style?

Honza
Re: [firebug] Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? dmccunney 2/19/13 8:21 AM

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/blank-your-monitor-easy-readin/

______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
Re: [firebug] Alternative themes: is it possible or in the plans? Sebastian Zartner 2/20/13 12:47 PM
Blank Your Monitor isn't a normal theme. It sets the preference browser.display.use_document_colors to false, which causes background images not to be shown. Firebug doesn't have any influence on that.
So the better approach is to follow Dennis' suggestion and apply user styles using Stylish.

Sebastian