Firebug 1.13 alpha 6

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 Jan Honza Odvarko 11/29/13 7:18 AM
Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 pd 12/1/13 8:35 PM
Thanks again for another handy mini release. I noticed the nice new search box treatment before I even realized I'd been upgraded :)

Regarding the progress of towards adopting the new debugger, can you say more about the platform APIs issues you mentioned? My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that Add-ons would be free to interact with them. Is that not proving the case?

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:18:34 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:
Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 Jan Honza Odvarko 12/2/13 7:05 AM


On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:35:53 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:
Thanks again for another handy mini release. I noticed the nice new search box treatment before I even realized I'd been upgraded :)

Regarding the progress of towards adopting the new debugger, can you say more about the platform APIs issues you mentioned?

Bug 637572 - [jsdbg2] Implement Debugger.Source, providing script source code and detailed origin information

The last missing piece in our JSD2 branch (the branch where the entire JSD2 adoption process happens) is related to debugging dynamically evaluated scripts (new Function(), eval, event scripts). I believe that the bug above it the only one blocking us (or at least I don't know about anything else at the moment).

 
My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that Add-ons would be free to interact with them.
That's correct. All API related to JSD2 (the new debugging engine) as well as RDP (remote debugging protocol) are open and supposed to be used by extensions like Firebug.

Honza



 

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:18:34 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:
Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 pd 12/9/13 3:56 PM


On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:05:49 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:


On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:35:53 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:
Thanks again for another handy mini release. I noticed the nice new search box treatment before I even realized I'd been upgraded :)

Regarding the progress of towards adopting the new debugger, can you say more about the platform APIs issues you mentioned?

Bug 637572 - [jsdbg2] Implement Debugger.Source, providing script source code and detailed origin information

The last missing piece in our JSD2 branch (the branch where the entire JSD2 adoption process happens) is related to debugging dynamically evaluated scripts (new Function(), eval, event scripts). I believe that the bug above it the only one blocking us (or at least I don't know about anything else at the moment).

Sounds like the new debugger is much closer than previous suggestions re how long it would take to integrate, suggested. Is that the case?
 
 
My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that Add-ons would be free to interact with them.
That's correct. All API related to JSD2 (the new debugging engine) as well as RDP (remote debugging protocol) are open and supposed to be used by extensions like Firebug.

Honza

Ok, good to know the "we are yet [again] blocked by missing platform APIs" are not blocking adoption of the new debugger. Which APIs are you referring to?
 



 

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:18:34 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:
Re: [firebug] Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 dmccunney 12/9/13 6:06 PM
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jan Honza Odvarko <odv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:35:53 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:
>
>> My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly
>> many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that
>> Add-ons would be free to interact with them.
>
> That's correct. All API related to JSD2 (the new debugging engine) as well
> as RDP (remote debugging protocol) are open and supposed to be used by
> extensions like Firebug.

The impression that I've gotten is that browser makers are all
proceeding full speed ahead on improving and extending the toolset
available for development and debugging in the browser.  In one sense,
that's good: it gives things like Firebug a base to build on and
extend.

On the other, it appears that these developments are increasingly
adding things people used to use Firebug to do, and in some cases
browser tools are competing with Firebug.  How much of Firebug's code
is being made redundant because you can now do it in the browser
itself?  How much does Firebug need to change to call browser
functions through an API instead of doing things itself?

> Honza
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 Jan Honza Odvarko 12/10/13 5:43 AM


On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:56:51 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:


On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:05:49 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:


On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:35:53 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:
Thanks again for another handy mini release. I noticed the nice new search box treatment before I even realized I'd been upgraded :)

Regarding the progress of towards adopting the new debugger, can you say more about the platform APIs issues you mentioned?

Bug 637572 - [jsdbg2] Implement Debugger.Source, providing script source code and detailed origin information

The last missing piece in our JSD2 branch (the branch where the entire JSD2 adoption process happens) is related to debugging dynamically evaluated scripts (new Function(), eval, event scripts). I believe that the bug above it the only one blocking us (or at least I don't know about anything else at the moment).

Sounds like the new debugger is much closer than previous suggestions re how long it would take to integrate, suggested. Is that the case?
Yes, Firebug is very close to be JSD2 ready.

 
 
 
My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that Add-ons would be free to interact with them.
That's correct. All API related to JSD2 (the new debugging engine) as well as RDP (remote debugging protocol) are open and supposed to be used by extensions like Firebug.

Honza

Ok, good to know the "we are yet [again] blocked by missing platform APIs" are not blocking adoption of the new debugger. Which APIs are you referring to?
Any extension that wants to implement new features for developers could use:

* https://wiki.mozilla.org/Remote_Debugging_Protocol
  - to access running browser remotely
* https://wiki.mozilla.org/Debugger
  - to use debugger API

One thing missed by Firebug is reported here:


Bug 637572 - [jsdbg2] Implement Debugger.Source, providing script source code and detailed origin information


Honza




 



 

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:18:34 AM UTC+11, Jan Honza Odvarko wrote:
Re: [firebug] Re: Firebug 1.13 alpha 6 Jan Honza Odvarko 12/10/13 5:58 AM


On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:06:31 AM UTC+1, dmccunney wrote:
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jan Honza Odvarko <odv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:35:53 AM UTC+1, pd wrote:
>
>> My impression was that the DevTools people (of which there are seemingly
>> many) were fully intending to develop the DevTools in an open manner in that
>> Add-ons would be free to interact with them.
>
> That's correct. All API related to JSD2 (the new debugging engine) as well
> as RDP (remote debugging protocol) are open and supposed to be used by
> extensions like Firebug.

The impression that I've gotten is that browser makers are all
proceeding full speed ahead on improving and extending the toolset
available for development and debugging in the browser.  In one sense,
that's good: it gives things like Firebug a base to build on and
extend.
Correct
 

On the other, it appears that these developments are increasingly
adding things people used to use Firebug to do, and in some cases
browser tools are competing with Firebug.  How much of Firebug's code
is being made redundant because you can now do it in the browser
itself?  How much does Firebug need to change to call browser
functions through an API instead of doing things itself?
 
Firebug has been always a Firefox extension and its primary purpose
has been to extend Firefox, i.e. append features for web developers and
designers. Since Firefox has currently also built-in developer features
Firebug can focus on extending those.

Some features might be duplicated and it mostly depends on whether
Firebug offers something more over them (e.g. better UI, better integration
with other features, better UX, ...). Otherwise Firebug can directly
use/embed/integrate entire built-in components (e.g. the Inspector UI)
(also depends on feedback from users).

Further, there is whole bunch of features that are not available built-in
(and probably won't be in foreseeable future) like, support for specific
libraries (e.g. YUI, Dojo, ..), integration with specific server side
technologies (NodeJS,..), features like Pixel perfect that are not
for every one, etc.

Firebug is also planning to extend the built-in UI, appending new actions
directly into it so, users don't have to necessarily switch between two UIs.

Honza
 

> Honza
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519