zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot.

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. (unknown) 4/8/12 6:20 PM
Every time I reboot I have to manually import the zpool using -f. i've run updimg.sh after importing but still have the problem after reboot. I use the 'reboot' command, is this an unsafe way to reboot? Am I doing something else wrong?

This is the same zpool I get errors when importing from the previous post, so the two problems might be related.

Any ideas?

Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. dre2kse 4/8/12 6:29 PM
That usually occurs when a step with slinky was missed during setup and /etc/hostid is most likely blank or does not exist.

Perform the following steps to fix:
rm /etc/hostid
cd /mnt/eon0/bin
./slinky r
./slinky c
/lib/svc/method/svc-hostid
cat /etc/hostid

Run updimg.sh to preserve and finish.
Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. Karibou-Hunter 5/3/13 8:28 AM
Hi Andre,

I have the same problem and performed your steps to fix it.
But it still occurs.

cat /etc/hostid
# DO NOT EDIT
"_I________"

Anything else ?

Thanks in advance

Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. dre2kse 5/6/13 9:25 PM
The steps should be performed as user "root", after the pool has been imported. Please try the cmd session below and/or post the output here or linked to pastebin.com. Do the following:
hostid
cat /etc/hostid
zpool import -a
rm /etc/hostid
cd /mnt/eon0/bin
./slinky r
./slinky c
/lib/svc/method/svc-hostid
cat /etc/hostid

Run updimg.sh to preserve and finish.

Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. Karibou-Hunter 5/14/13 1:42 AM
Thanks for your response Andre.

Still the same.

Here is the full ouput of the session.

ssh ad...@192.168.0.1
Password:
Last login: Tue May 14 10:31:23 2013 from 192.168.0.2
EON STORAGE   SunOS 5.11   oi_151a   September 2011
nas:1:~>su
Password:
nas:1:~#hostid
00000000
nas:2:~#zpool import -a
cannot import 'tank': pool may be in use from other system
use '-f' to import anyway
nas:3:~#cat /etc/hostid
# DO NOT EDIT
"_I________"
nas:4:~#rm /etc/hostid
nas:5:~#cd /mnt/eon0/bin/
nas:6:/mnt/eon0/bin#./slinky r
nas:7:/mnt/eon0/bin#./slinky c
nas:8:/mnt/eon0/bin#/lib/svc/method/svc-hostid
nas:9:/mnt/eon0/bin#cat /etc/hostid
# DO NOT EDIT
"_I________"
nas:10:/mnt/eon0/bin#updimg.sh /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon
EON Storage updater
Updating files in /mnt/eon0/.backup to x86.eon
backup in /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon.1
 /mnt/eon0/.backup:     OK
gzcat /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon > /tmp/x86.1030
lofiadm -a /tmp/x86.1030 /dev/lofi/1
 mounting /dev/lofi/1 /mnt/upd
 OK: mount /dev/lofi/1 /mnt/upd
 updating /etc/svc/repository.db -> /mnt/upd/etc/svc/repository.db
 umounting /mnt/upd
lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1
mv -f /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon.0 /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon.1
mv -f /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon.0
gzip -f -9 -c /tmp/x86.1030 > /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon
 verifying /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon:       OK
nas:11:/mnt/eon0/bin#reboot

After the reboot, the pool appears to be used ... :/

nas:1:~#zpool import -a
cannot import 'tank': pool may be in use from other system
use '-f' to import anyway

Any chance to fix it without reinstalling ?

Thanks !
Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. dre2kse 5/14/13 2:14 PM
I see the problem but don't ask me how you got this. I have never, seen a hostid of 00000000 and that's the problem.

To fix this without reinstalling you will have to boot the OEM image from the grub menu (initial boot screen) and run setup again.
After booting, login with the initial default user/pass then
1 run the cmd below and make sure it is not all 0's as above. Record this hostid for later comparison
 hostid
2 If it is not all 0's proceed with

 cd /mnt/eon0/bin
 ./slinky r
 ./slinky c
 setup

 updimg.sh /mnt/eon0/boot/x86.eon

3 Reboot the system and it should boot normally the newly configured system above
 init 6

4 Login to the system and run hostid. It should match what you recorded in step 1. If it does not match something went wrong STOP!

5 If all went ok, login and import the pool with the new fixed hostid.
 zpool import -f -a

All should be fixed.
Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. Karibou-Hunter 5/15/13 9:43 AM
On step 1, the hostid not all 0's.
But, after the step 3 and system rebooted, the hostid still 00000000.

Perhaps it's time for me for reinstalling. Unless you have an other solution.

BTW, thanks a lot.
Re: [EON Storage] Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. dre2kse 5/18/13 7:00 AM

Please try, just before setup
rail install rail
rail install setup
Then
setup
Refer to for help https://sites.google.com/site/eonstorage/updating-eon

We will get it sorted. Thanks for your patience.

Re: [EON Storage] Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. Karibou-Hunter 5/23/13 10:24 AM
Still the same, hostid is empty on reboot.
Don't try more, I will reinstall in a couple of day.

Thanks a lot to you, for your support.
Re: [EON Storage] Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. dre2kse 5/30/13 7:15 PM
Any update on this? Did you get the hostid issue sorted?
Re: [EON Storage] Re: zpool says it was last used by a different system after every reboot. Karibou-Hunter 6/11/13 4:32 AM
Now, everything is ok after reinstalling.

Maybe, I made mistake with the slinky steps ...
Or, do you think it's possible that the fact I have installed Eon on USB key with a VM on Vmware Fusion before plug this key on my HP Microserver can be the source of the issue ?

By the way, BIG thanks to you, for your support and work on Eon :)