Smart Si losing connectivity again...

Showing 21-47 of 47 messages
Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/20/12 5:46 PM
I had to get a replacement EcoBee Smart Si deemed defective (not for the reasons posted here).  Had it for two days and twice so far it's lost connectivity.  Of course a paper clip reset clears things up but, it is annoying.
Checked my router and web page feeds for other things using the home network; everything shows to be up, no down time during the time the Si went offline.
Software version is up to date: 3.1.0.613
If they could only build in an optional automatic paper-clip reset function...
Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/24/12 5:10 AM
My replacement unit is far worse than my initial unit in regard to losing connectivity.  Every 2-3 days it loses connectivity and I have to paperclip reset.  Noticed a new software update in the last week with a mid-August date, but that didn't seem to make a difference.  I'm really not liking the lost connectivity, which diminishes the ability to remotely view/control the unit.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Steve Jenkins 8/24/12 8:18 AM
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM, marklyn <mar...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> My replacement unit is far worse than my initial unit in regard to losing
> connectivity.  Every 2-3 days it loses connectivity and I have to paperclip
> reset.  Noticed a new software update in the last week with a mid-August
> date, but that didn't seem to make a difference.  I'm really not liking the
> lost connectivity, which diminishes the ability to remotely view/control the
> unit.

What's the WiFi signal strength look like at your mounting location?
Could be interference. Try changing the wireless channel on your
router, or (depending on your router) use an open source firmware
(like Tomato or DD-WRT) to increase the signal strength if your WiFi
network.

SteveJ
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Scott DeLeeuw 8/24/12 8:31 AM
What are the experiences of everything Si users in regards to connectivity?  I don't doubt the problems you are having, it just seems strange because my Smart thermostat has never lost a connection in the year of having it.

Steve makes good points on checking interference.  You can download tools like inSSIDer which will show signal strength of the wireless and other competing APs on the same channel.  What it won't show is how the busy the channel is.  Bear in mind wireless channels overlap, 1, 6, and 11 are the only channels completely independent of each other.  Setting up your router on channel 2 when another router is nearby on channel 1 will actually be worse.  On the same channel routers can coordinate stop and wait traffic, on neighboring channels they only create noise which can diminsh your signal.

Open source firmwares are not always better.  I know people love to put them on, calling the originals crap, but often performance is better with the OEM firmware.  What open source firmware does do is provide a richer featureset, which can often be an advantage.  Lastly, higher power isn't always better, communication is two-way, if the client can receive the higher powered transmit signal, but not send something just as strong back, your wireless will still suffer.

To summarize, run inSSIDer on a laptop and see what it looks like over by your thermostat, look for the most open 1, 6, or 11 channel.  Shut off 40MHz wide mode.  I hope you get to the bottom of your connectivity issues.

Re: [Ecobee Users] Smart Si losing connectivity again... EcobeeTS 8/24/12 11:06 AM
Hello Marklyn,

Your situation appears to be case-specific to your router. The issue appears to be a very rare event unfortunately, and is rarely (if ever) seen at this desk. I suggest trying to connect the thermostat via Static IP address and see if this remedies the situation. Please call our Technical Support line (1-877-932-6233) when you are at the thermostat and ready to start.

Regards,

EcobeeTS

Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/24/12 11:18 AM
Steve, the WiFi strentgh is full bars.  The stat is about 10' below the wireless router, which is in the attic directly above it.
When I had this problem with the first stat, I changed the channel; thus I had to change the channel on all of my other wireless devices.
That was a pain but a necessary diagnostic attempt.  I've also done obvious things like reset the router.
I also have a secondary router in the back of my attic that I use for a couple of outdoor wireless devices and I even tried using that router, same issues.

Additionally I have a weather computer that pushes a small amount of data up to the 'cloud' every couple of minutes.
My ISP connection is pretty solid because if there were a connectivity issue there, I'd see it in my weather ftp logs, so I'm feel certain the problem isn't in the ISP connection area.

I think about the fact that the stat always immediately connects when I paper clip reset it. Always.  So when I see in the report that is stops communicating, I look for any other clues like if any of my other wireless devices weren't communicating.
Nothing I've seen indicates that is happening though.  I've got evidence that other wireless devices were talking to the router just fine during the time the stat stopped talking.

I'm a network administrator (for a living) so I'm pretty adept at figuring out if the network is the issue or not and I feel confident it's not my wireless network or ISP.

I can't help but think that it always comes back to resetting the stat that 'fixes' the problem.  If only there were an auto-reset option :)

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Even the most experienced network admins forget something from time to time.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/24/12 11:23 AM
EcobeeTS,
When I get home today, I will configure the stat with a static IP address and see if that remedies the situation.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Scott DeLeeuw 8/24/12 11:47 AM
"When I had this problem with the first stat, I changed the channel; thus I had to change the channel on all of my other wireless devices."

Why did you have to change channel on all wireless devices?  As long as your SSID stays the same all of the devices should automatically move to the new channel, following the SSID.

Did you try inSSIDer?  What channel are you on?  Heavy overlaps with neighbors?  How long is your DHCP lease time?  There is also a little utility called "Ping Alert" which is free and could be used to monitor and notify on multiple hosts.  You could potentially set it up for a few wireless devices and see what happens to them when the Si loses connectivity.  I'd also watch the DHCP lease renewal times and see if they correspond with the stat going offline.

Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/24/12 3:10 PM
I tried SSID and saw that I was overlapping channel 1 & 11 both, so I set my router channel to 11.
I also set a static IP for the stat too.
Maybe this will help out.  I did see several other wireless routers on channel 1 with stronger signals.

Thanks for the help!
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Steve Jenkins 8/24/12 4:08 PM
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM, marklyn <mar...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I tried SSID and saw that I was overlapping channel 1 & 11 both, so I set my
> router channel to 11.
> I also set a static IP for the stat too.
> Maybe this will help out.  I did see several other wireless routers on
> channel 1 with stronger signals.

Hey, Mark. I hope that some combo of the static IP and wireless
channels helps out!

And I'll +1 a few of Scott's points (perhaps more for other readers'
and Google searchers' sakes than for yours):

- One should only ever have to manually set the channel on a router or
an access point, as wireless clients will automatically channel-hop to
find the strongest signal. For example, I have a total of 7 wireless
routers running in my house (it's a 12K square foot house covering
three floors), and I use aftermarket firmware to set them up as: 1
router, 4 access points, and 2 wireless client bridges. I manually set
a combination of channels 1, 6 and 11 on the router and the APs (based
on their relative locations to reduce interference - the two sets with
matching numbers are the farthest apart) and manually set their
channel width to 20 Mhz. As I walk around the house with a wireless
device, it will hop channels when it gets a "better" offer from a
stronger signal using the same SSID. None of the neighbors are close
enough for me to "smell" their networks.

- I also concur that a larger mW number on the transmit power does not
necessarily correlate to a "better" signal. Research the chipset in
the router/AP you're using and set it optimally. I use 71mW on my
Linksys WRT-54G and 48mW on my Belkin N300s. But I came up with those
numbers based on trial and error. YMMV.

- I'm a big inSSIDer fan. :)

SteveJ
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/24/12 8:14 PM
Very good info Steve, thanks for that.
So far so good with the static IP and router channel change, but I'll watch it for a few days.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Steve Jenkins 8/24/12 8:32 PM
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM, marklyn <mar...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Very good info Steve, thanks for that.
> So far so good with the static IP and router channel change, but I'll watch
> it for a few days.

Cool - please let us know. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. :)

It's always great to have an "I had that problem, I fixed it like
THIS" story for anyone else who stumbles in here with a similar issue.
:)

SJ
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/26/12 7:46 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/27/12 2:43 PM
Steve,
it lost connection again during the time I was out of the house on vacation so, not having remote connectivity was disappointing.
I'm going to have it connect to my access point instead.  It's further in the back of the house but it shows a solid 2-3 bars in strength.
My AP is connected to my router via a wired connection.  It's something new to try at least.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Steve Jenkins 8/27/12 3:45 PM
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM, marklyn <mar...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Steve,
> it lost connection again during the time I was out of the house on vacation
> so, not having remote connectivity was disappointing.
> I'm going to have it connect to my access point instead.  It's further in
> the back of the house but it shows a solid 2-3 bars in strength.
> My AP is connected to my router via a wired connection.  It's something new
> to try at least.

Ok... maybe it's a conspiracy... one of mine disconnected today, too -
and required a reset button to fix it. Coincidence? :)

SJ
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... J 8/27/12 7:19 PM
I've had similar issues. Clearly there is issue with this ecobees. I've has 2-3 (of 7) drop a 3-4 bar connection " permanently" ie for 6 hours plus, often days. What will fix be? This dedicated IP address stuff Is crap-- it should work without the tweaks Indicated above.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 8/28/12 6:10 AM
Yeah, I also think it should work too pretty much out of the box.  I wonder why EcoBee doesn't build in an auto reset option.  That would certainly take care of my issue.
RE: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... Chris Carradine 8/28/12 6:39 AM
J;

This is Chris from ecobee - we have attempted to contact you directly to resolve your issue but the email we have tried is not connecting. Could you please email me at ch...@ecobee.com so I can provide you with next steps.

Thanks!

Chris Carradine
ch...@ecobee.com
Vice President, Marketing
T 416.987.1070   C 416.318.2281  F 866.592.7344
ecobee | green made easy
www.ecobee.com

 333 Adelaide St. West | 6th Floor | Toronto | Ontario | M5V 1R5

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the Sender and delete all copies of this email. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ecobee. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ecobee accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 9/14/12 8:41 AM
Good news! the most current version installed about two weeks ago (3.1.0.640) appears to have fixed my connectivity issue.  So far there has been no connectivity issues with the network/cloud!
I appreciate the response!
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... J 9/18/12 5:57 AM
Marklyn: Are you still connected? The firmware update didn't solve my connectivity problems. Three of my seven are now offline again.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 9/18/12 6:27 AM
Yes, I just checked again and there hasn't been a break since the software update to the ...640 version, so I'm giving credit to the update.
I didn't make any changes to my router settings or location during this process so I can't think of anything I could have done on my end that would have improved the connection.
In fact the same number of bars are shown on the stat as before so in regard to the signal strength (which is good) doesn't appear to have changed so far as I can see.
Whatever happened seems to have resolved my problem pretty well.
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... EcobeeTS 9/18/12 9:40 AM
Hello Marklyn,

So glad the thermostat is connecting consistently again! We've worked diligently to create a firmware version that would help 'outlier' connectivity situations like the one you've experience. Let us know if the situation changes and we'll work with you to solve any issue. Have a nice day.

Regards,
EcobeeTS

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ecobee-users/-/oXQIvDsON7oJ.

Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... J 9/20/12 3:48 PM
Marklyn:

Are you still online w your stat with new firmware? Just checking as I now have 6 of 7 stats (ecobee smart SI) offline. The 7th (that remains online) is no longer reporting the outside temperature. I'm using a Cisco E4200 as main router. Have a Linksys Valet (wireless G) as one AP which was reliable til today (ironically this is oldest router and has been most reliable). I have a new Netgear repeater as AP (WN2500RP) which doesn't seem to play well with ecobee either.

All other devices in our home connect fine to router and APs. I'm going to try to replace our main router (with a new Netgear WNDR4500) in next couple of days to see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it I'm returning.

Would appreciate thoughts from the community. I want these to work and like them, but have had huge connectivy issues since install several weeks ago (by professional HVAC company). This is vacation home which is making it problematic. Resetting routers doesn't reconnect the stats -- I need to reset the stats, sometimes as often as every day.

Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 9/20/12 7:35 PM
J, yes I'm still online with no disconnects.  I have a D-Link DIR-655 router, pretty solid.
One thing I did do was to change the SSID channel on my router to 11, which had less 'traffic' and this may have helped overall in combination with the stat software date.  Right now it's been solid though.
I would try changing your SSID channel first and reset your stat so it reconnects.  I think the recommend channels to try are 1, 6 and 11.

Mark
Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... J 10/7/12 4:13 PM
Mark:
My stats have now stayed online for a week. While the process was
excruciating and involved my reconfiguring my network (likely for no
reason), the ecobee support team was first rate. They communicated
regularly and tweaked their firmware and that of the wifi chip
manufacturer. They finally sent an update that worked and the
connections now seem solid. I'll post again if they drop, but all seems
good for now. Ecobee got their senior staff involved and even
reimbursed some expenses I incurred to "fix" problems that weren't the
reason for the permanent disconnects. So I'd now recommend Ecobee Smart SI and my stats are solid.

Re: [Ecobee Users] Re: Smart Si losing connectivity again... marklyn 10/7/12 5:48 PM
Yup. I'd recommend them too.  I've always believed that the true colors of a company is the after sale service.
In this respect, EcoBee has been first rate.  I hope they never lose that as their company continues to grow.
I'm glad to hear you're working!

Mark