Live Streaming the Space

Showing 1-23 of 23 messages
Live Streaming the Space Shaw Terwilliger 1/27/14 5:52 AM
We've talked about having a webcam in the space to live-stream our events, but we didn't get it done in time for the last hackathon.  I have 2 good webcams and some long USB cables (5m, 15m) left over from SPARKcon 2013 and I'd be happy to donate one or both to the space if we can find a good use for them.

Can the LibraryBox handle the streaming?


--
Shaw Terwilliger <ster...@tinfig.com>
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Darren Boss 1/27/14 6:34 AM
The LibraryBox is completely disconnected from the Internet I believe.
I think using one of the P4 Dell systems would work well for this
purpose.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Splat Space " group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to durham-makersp...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 6:51 AM
I was actually thinking of mounting a Raspberry Pi over the door.

I talked about using the R-Pi as a security monitor that would also light "Annex Open" and "Space Open" signs.  The idea is to be able to check a live video stream page with a camera over the door (and possibly another at one end of the annex room) to see if anyone is in the room, and to check the following sensors:

- main room door switch
- annex room door switch
- main room floor water sensor
- smoke & CO alarm

the idea being is that anyone could then see if someone is at the space, and the status of the doors, and so on.

I was thinking that the streaming video would double as a regular streaming video for events too, with a microphone pickup.

Shaw, lets arrange a time to get together and test a R-Pi stream with your two webcams, and see if the 'Pi can take the signals and handle the situation.  Besides, I've got a USB PTZ camera (pan, tilt, zoom) that I would like to work up a R-Pi webpage for my house.

- sgh
-- 
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 7:24 AM
P.S.  There has been stewing for the last 3 years a "Doorduino" concept for space access via the Snow building's RFID fabs (or some other set of RFID fobs).  The over-the-door R-Pi could help serve in that role as well.

After getting the security aspects of the over-the-door R-Pi going, we could have a "login" reader near the door ready for swiping RDID's against, so that we could see also who is in the space at any one time -- kind of an electronic sign-in sheet.


On 01/27/2014 09:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
I was actually thinking of mounting a Raspberry Pi over the door.

I talked about using the R-Pi as a security monitor that would also light "Annex Open" and "Space Open" signs.  The idea is to be able to check a live video stream page with a camera over the door (and possibly another at one end of the annex room) to see if anyone is in the room, and to check the following sensors:

- main room door switch
- annex room door switch
- main room floor water sensor
- smoke & CO alarm

the idea being is that anyone could then see if someone is at the space, and the status of the doors, and so on.

-- 
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Jeffrey Crews 1/27/14 7:48 AM
Based on my experience with the Space and with building complex ever-evolving systems like 3D printers, I think a MUCH better idea would be to implement "something that works now" and then upgrade to all the add-ons after that new RPui system is built. 

Ustream, etc could work right now. JMO.

jsc


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Splat Space " group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to durham-makersp...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Pete Soper 1/27/14 8:37 AM
There is a Raspberry Pi in the space in a printed box (blue-green, as I recall). It's been a solution that's been looking for a problem for months. Scott: please just take this and use it. There should be a power supply for it too, but if that got diverted to some other project I wouldn't be surprised or bothered.

-Pete


On 01/27/2014 09:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Splat Space " group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to durham-makersp...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Mike 1/27/14 10:08 AM
Scott,

I had a similar thought about using an RFID fob-based "Doorduino" system
to track whether anyone was in the Space.  Cool idea, but I came to the
conclusion that it wouldn't work very well in the real world:

  - not everyone would swipe their fob at the reader when entering,
    especially for meetings where the door is propped open

  - very few (read no one) will swipe their fob on exit

So we would pretty much always have an incomplete count of how many
people / fobs are in the space, and there would need to be a lot of
manual work to keep any sort of live count up-to-date.  I do think
having the "Doorduino" system log accesses -- both successful and
unsuccessful -- based on fob IDs would be good, both for auditing and
for debugging.

Mike

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:24:08AM -0500, Scott Hall wrote:
> P.S.  There has been stewing for the last 3 years a "Doorduino" concept for
> space access via the Snow building's RFID fabs (or some other set of RFID
> fobs).  The over-the-door R-Pi could help serve in that role as well.
>
> After getting the security aspects of the over-the-door R-Pi going, we could
> have a "login" reader near the door ready for swiping RDID's against, so that we
> could see also _who_ is in the space at any one time -- kind of an electronic
> sign-in sheet.
>
> On 01/27/2014 09:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> > I was actually thinking of mounting a Raspberry Pi over the door.
> >
> > I talked about using the R-Pi as a security monitor that would also light
> > "Annex Open" and "Space Open" signs.  The idea is to be able to check a live
> > video stream page with a camera over the door (and possibly another at one end
> > of the annex room) to see if anyone is in the room, and to check the following
> > sensors:
> >
> > - main room door switch
> > - annex room door switch
> > - main room floor water sensor
> > - smoke & CO alarm
> >
> > the idea being is that anyone could then see if someone is at the space, and
> > the status of the doors, and so on.
>
> --
> Scott G. Hall
> Raleigh, NC, USA
> ScottGHall1@GMail.Com

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Bill Farrow 1/27/14 10:24 AM
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Mike Broome <mbr...@employees.org> wrote:
>   - not everyone would swipe their fob at the reader when entering,
>   - very few (read no one) will swipe their fob on exit

Gamification ! Make it visually rewarding to swipe in and out. Run a
leader board. Provide a webpage/email service that you can use to log
"out" from home if you forgot to swipe out.

Build a bigger rfid coil to capture IDs in your pocket as you walk in
through the door...

Bill
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Fogbeam Phil 1/27/14 10:26 AM



On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Bill Farrow <bi...@arrowsreach.com> wrote:

Build a bigger rfid coil to capture IDs in your pocket as you walk in
through the door...

Sure, and let's setup a direct-link to the NSA's Utah data-center as well, so they can get
real-time notifications on who's entering and leaving the space...


Phil
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Mike 1/27/14 12:18 PM
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 01:24:49PM -0500, Bill Farrow wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Mike Broome <mbr...@employees.org> wrote:
> >   - not everyone would swipe their fob at the reader when entering,
> >   - very few (read no one) will swipe their fob on exit
>
> Gamification ! Make it visually rewarding to swipe in and out. Run a
> leader board. Provide a webpage/email service that you can use to log
> "out" from home if you forgot to swipe out.

Sure, that would probably help with the problem, but still wouldn't
guarantee that the data is accurate and wouldn't need to be manually and
either continually fixed manually.

> Build a bigger rfid coil to capture IDs in your pocket as you walk in
> through the door...

Now you're talking about a technical solution.  I like that.  We would
just have to add filters to sort out the unknown or unwanted IDs that
are read, e.g. other access cards, new proximity credit cards, etc. ;)

(While I think that would be a fun proof of concept project, I don't
think it would go over all that well with the members of the Space as a
solution.  Personally, I don't think this particular problem needs a
solution.)

M.

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org
Re: Live Streaming the Space jdiv...@yahoo.com 1/27/14 1:55 PM
Just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea here, changes like these that affect members will need to be voted on by the members before being implemented.

Joe Diver
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Fogbeam Phil 1/27/14 2:11 PM
The world doesn't need more "stuff" that logs and records people's movements and location.  I'm 110% opposed to anything that involves logging access to the space.   I think we should stick with physical keys, and forget the "doorduino" thing completely, to be honest. 

I'm also leery of any notion of putting cameras in the space.  It's bad enough our government is maintaining surveillance on nearly everybody in the world 24/x7, but I'd like to think I can go to the local hackerspace without having to worry about whether or not I'm being recorded, logged, filmed, audited, etc.


Phil


On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM, <jdiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea here, changes like these that affect members will need to be voted on by the members before being implemented.

Joe Diver

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Splat Space " group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to durham-makersp...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space jdiv...@yahoo.com 1/27/14 8:23 PM
Phil, I agree with you about not wanting to record, log or track people in the space.  The keys have worked well so far.  We already have two good ways to tell when the space is open: the Google Calendar and calling the phone number for the space.

I would be willing to have a webcam in the space to stream specific events (such as the hackathon Shaw mentioned), as long as it was properly disclosed, and the webcam was removed when the event is over.  I'm not going to go into any more specific details since this is all theoretical at this point.

Joe Diver
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 9:14 PM
I'm actually working on the electronics and code for a different security project anyway, so I thought I would combine the two projects.  But like Jeff said, I am taking development in demonstrable stages:

- get position sensors to work
- get actuators working from sensor data (studio "In Use" or "On Air" signs)
- get camera to work
- get stream output to work
- get sensor data and stream on a webpage
- get webpage accessible and able to handle multiple connections
  (may use outside server for stream caching and replication)
- get controls on webpage to override actuators
- add motion sensing to frame-captures of stream to determine animal presence
- now add RFID sensing coil (sensitive enough for no need to swipe -- just be within 5-feet)
- add API lookup to external database for RFID lookup and display to webpages

Goal is to get done by mid-March; realistic goal is to be complete by Memorial Day.

And Mike, I have been a part of other clubs with exactly similar problems -- members would forget to sign in when they showed up, forget to sign out when they leave.  One of them resorted to signing in to get an equipment operating badge (like those used on copiers at a Kinkos), and surrendering the badge on exit (needed to keep count for insurance and fire safety -- lots of woodworking equipment and sawdust).  That is why I am going to experiment with a warehouse-grade RFID reader that was used to read packed cartons sliding past on the conveyor belt.

- sgh


On 01/27/2014 01:08 PM, Mike Broome wrote:
Scott,

I had a similar thought about using an RFID fob-based "Doorduino" system
to track whether anyone was in the Space.  Cool idea, but I came to the
conclusion that it wouldn't work very well in the real world:

  - not everyone would swipe their fob at the reader when entering,
    especially for meetings where the door is propped open

  - very few (read no one) will swipe their fob on exit

So we would pretty much always have an incomplete count of how many
people / fobs are in the space, and there would need to be a lot of
manual work to keep any sort of live count up-to-date.  I do think
having the "Doorduino" system log accesses -- both successful and
unsuccessful -- based on fob IDs would be good, both for auditing and
for debugging.

Mike

On 01/27/2014 10:48 AM, Jeffrey Crews wrote:
Based on my experience with the Space and with building complex ever-evolving systems like 3D printers, I think a MUCH better idea would be to implement "something that works now" and then upgrade to all the add-ons after that new RPui system is built. 

Ustream, etc could work right now. JMO.

jsc


On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Scott Hall <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:
P.S.  There has been stewing for the last 3 years a "Doorduino" concept for space access via the Snow building's RFID fabs (or some other set of RFID fobs).  The over-the-door R-Pi could help serve in that role as well.

After getting the security aspects of the over-the-door R-Pi going, we could have a "login" reader near the door ready for swiping RDID's against, so that we could see also who is in the space at any one time -- kind of an electronic sign-in sheet.


-- Scott G. Hall Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 9:19 PM
On 01/27/2014 03:18 PM, Mike Broome wrote:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 01:24:49PM -0500, Bill Farrow wrote:
Build a bigger rfid coil to capture IDs in your pocket as you walk in
through the door...

Now you're talking about a technical solution.  I like that.  We would
just have to add filters to sort out the unknown or unwanted IDs that
are read, e.g. other access cards, new proximity credit cards, etc. ;)

(While I think that would be a fun proof of concept project, I don't
think it would go over all that well with the members of the Space as a
solution.  Personally, I don't think this particular problem needs a
solution.)

M.


Splatters may be able to help me anyway -- I want to test a version for someone I am working on a parallel solution for.


-- 
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 9:22 PM
On 01/27/2014 11:37 AM, Pete Soper wrote:
There is a Raspberry Pi in the space in a printed box (blue-green, as I recall). It's been a solution that's been looking for a problem for months. Scott: please just take this and use it. There should be a power supply for it too, but if that got diverted to some other project I wouldn't be surprised or bothered.

-Pete


Will be done -- but probably not Tuesday night, due to weather (I live in Wake county which intends to get some snow out of this storm this time, damn it!  Durham may be lucky to get a dusting...)


-- 
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Scott H. 1/27/14 9:27 PM
On 01/27/2014 05:11 PM, Phillip Rhodes (Fogbeam Labs) wrote:
The world doesn't need more "stuff" that logs and records people's movements and location.  I'm 110% opposed to anything that involves logging access to the space.   I think we should stick with physical keys, and forget the "doorduino" thing completely, to be honest. 

I'm also leery of any notion of putting cameras in the space.  It's bad enough our government is maintaining surveillance on nearly everybody in the world 24/x7, but I'd like to think I can go to the local hackerspace without having to worry about whether or not I'm being recorded, logged, filmed, audited, etc.


{ you haven't read the membership requirements of the Raleigh-Makerspace yet, have you?....  }

Too bad the R-Pi doesn't have enough power to morph each person into their "Vessen" persona like those on the TV show "Grimm".


-- 
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
Scott...@GMail.Com
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Jeffrey Crews 1/28/14 7:26 AM
I would still very much advocate for a camera pointed at the printer. If someone really needs to print a Liberator or big weiner or something, then just turn it off for the interim. 

I spent 5 hrs semi-distracted at home last night, wondering if I was printing a Minecraft torch shaft, or a giant wad of string. The ability to peek would be very welcome, and I suspect the rest of the regular printer users feel the same.

jsc
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Mark C 1/28/14 7:26 AM
Well said, Phil.


On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Phillip Rhodes (Fogbeam Labs) <fog...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Bill Farrow 1/28/14 7:44 AM
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Phillip Rhodes (Fogbeam Labs)
> <fog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also leery of any notion of putting cameras in the space.  It's bad
>> enough our government is maintaining surveillance on nearly everybody in the
>> world 24/x7, but I'd like to think I can go to the local hackerspace without
>> having to worry about whether or not I'm being recorded, logged, filmed,
>> audited, etc.

The penultimate conundrum on the internet: anonymity vs transparency.

I think we should drag this conversation back to identifying the
problems that we are trying to solve and move forward from there.

* Doors not being closed and locked (members only)
* Live streaming of special events (public)
* Live streaming of 3D printer jobs (members only)

Bill
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Mike 1/28/14 7:45 AM
+1
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space bill 1/28/14 9:11 AM
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Jeffrey Crews <cruz...@gmail.com> wrote:
I spent 5 hrs semi-distracted at home last night, wondering if I was printing a Minecraft torch shaft, or a giant wad of string. The ability to peek would be very welcome, and I suspect the rest of the regular printer users feel the same.

js

What?!? The "Schrödinger's Print" scenario is most of the excitement of
3d printing. How boring it would be if it worked as expected every time.

b
Re: [Splat Space] Re: Live Streaming the Space Jeffrey Crews 1/28/14 9:29 AM
The less time my prints spend in a superposition of both successful and snarled states, the happier I am.

jsc


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Splat Space " group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to durham-makersp...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

More topics »