Wikipedia says duplicati uses Rsync, does it?

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Wikipedia says duplicati uses Rsync, does it? Justin Rossetti 7/12/12 2:14 PM
Why are you listed on Wikipedia under rsync? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync#GUIs

Does your software use rsync? Can it even sync files in the same way rsync does or does it just make backups.

I really like your software, but it does not seem to be the same as using rysnc.

+no just uploading new or changed files
+no complete data loss if 1 file gets corrupted or lost

Even with rsync you could encrypt before uploading and compare the hashs.

I could be wrong, could you please explain why your process might be better then rsync.  Benefits and tradeoffs?
And maybe could you add rsync in v2?

Using your software to backup Windows7->SSH->CentOS(personal dedicated server) about 500 gigs of pictures I have taken in the last 10 years.

thanks
Re: Wikipedia says duplicati uses Rsync, does it? sambeckett 7/12/12 2:56 PM
I really just want to use your interface and scheduler with rsync.  (-encryption and cloud support)   Anyway you could add basic rsync support for supported platforms and target destinations?
This will fill a huge hole for people looking for a rsync windows client (which I thought you were when I downloaded your software due to the listing at wikipedia.)
My remote server two 1tb drives in raid 1, with 500gigs of data I don't have enough room to do more then 1 full backups.
Re: Wikipedia says duplicati uses Rsync, does it? Kenneth Skovhede 7/13/12 1:32 AM
No, Duplicati does not use rsync (the protocol or program).
It uses a component of rsync, called rdiff, which is what makes rsync efficient.
I think Duplicati is listed there because duplicity is as well, and they use the same overall approach.

Unlike rsync, Duplicati does not require any special software installed on the host.

The major downside to this is the way files are handled. Where rsync can neatly re-organize files on the server, Duplicati can only send new files and delete old ones.

The major upside is that Duplicati works with a wide variety of storage systems (e.g. cloud storage), and can thus be used even if you do not have (or want to) a dedicated server.

Another upside is that Duplicati handles changes in files before encryption, and only stores encrypted "blobs". This means that if you encrypt before sending in rsync, a single changed bit will make the whole file different. Encrypting after sending does not really make sense.

If you have the skills and want to dedicate hardware, maintenance, electricity etc, you will probably be happier with rsync.
I have not tried any of the rsync tools, but there are some GUIs available:

But no, there will not be rsync in any Duplicati version in the foreseeable future. The idea is that anyone should be able to pick up a copy of Duplicati and start backing up files. Having to set up a server with special software is just too much. In theory there could be a "rsync backend", but that does not really fit into the idea of Duplicati, because the files cannot be stored encrypted and most of the code would have to be rewritten to support server side processing of files.

That being said, anyone is free to write their own backends and/or contribute to Duplicati. If someone develops rsync support, I might change my mind :).

I do not understand the two "+" signs, I believe they apply to both rsync and Duplicati?

Regards, Kenneth