end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed!

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Tim Graham 9/15/12 4:24 PM
Katie Miller and Ben Sturmfels have written a fifth tutorial covering making "polls" a reusable app.  I've given it an initial review, but I'm hoping we can get a few more people to give it a look and/or try it out, particularly if you are an expert in packaging (which I'm not).  Thanks guys!

p.s. I've built the docs with the latest patch here:
Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Tim Graham 9/16/12 4:22 PM
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16671
Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! AJHMvanRatingen 9/17/12 1:00 PM
I'm not an expert in packaging, I've released a few apps, but my novice eyes caught some things:
* Bullet 6 under "Packaging your app" mentions the manifest file, without specifying anything useful about it to someone (eg: me) who doesn't know what it's for. Maybe add a descriptional oneliner, or a link to more details as a bare minimum.
The same goes for other steps here too; they merely instruct what to do without any background or analysis of the code, like the first tutorials do.
* Creating a release requires you to think about naming, and there's a couple of names to be defined:
  - package name as found on pypi / installable with pip   (django-polls)
  - module name as it's imported in python   (polls)
  - name of the template dir   (polls, = module name)
Maybe clarify the distinction and definition, and provide some guidelines. Eg: prepend 'django-' to django apps, and remove it from the module name, except when it might collide with another module, and use the same name for the template dir.
* The guide could include a link to documentation on how to setup and manage a VCS repo for collaboration (even just by pointing to how it's done for django itself). Also mentionable are other tools like (to name a few) readthedocs, django-apps.com, and, if CI was given a short introduction, travis-ci (since many django apps seem to use this) could be mentioned.

Just my thoughts to make this tutorial as good as the others!
Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Daniel Greenfeld 9/18/12 9:49 PM
I'll toss in our own djangopackages.com as well as a resource. :-)
Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Tim Graham 10/13/12 3:43 PM
Thank-you for the feedback, guys.  I've updated the patch based on suggestions, so if you are interested, please take another look.

I also wanted to plug the tutorial 3 refactor that Daniel Greenfield tackled.  As far as I'm concerned it's RFC if we can get another set of eyes to +1.

Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Russell Keith-Magee 10/13/12 5:34 PM
Hi Tim,

Both of these are looking really good. I've left some comments on the
tickets, mostly fairly minor suggestions.

Russ %-)
> For more options, visit this group at
Re: end of "coming soon" in the tutorial? - tutorial 5 feedback needed! Tim Graham 10/20/12 5:05 PM
Thank-you to Russ and Carl for the feedback!  I've merged the updates to tutorial 3 earlier this week.

I also updated the reusable apps tutorial to use distribute rather than distutils and incorporated other suggestions as noted in the ticket.

You can view the latest edition here:

http://techytim.com/django/tutorial05/intro/reusable-apps.html

I have no previous experience packaging with distribute, so any feedback is appreciated!