Generic edit generic views don't create `fail_silently` messages anymore.

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
Generic edit generic views don't create `fail_silently` messages anymore. charettes 2/29/12 12:47 PM
Now deprecated generic create_update function based views (create_object, update_object, delete_object) use to create silently failing success messages when the submitted form was valid.

Was it a design decision to omit this feature for class based equivalents?

If it was deliberately omitted then, since function based views are deprecated, the message framework documentation for the `fail_silently` kwarg should be updated to remove the part where it makes reference to generic views using it internally.

Here's wip patch to backport this feature for class based views that I can attach to a ticket if this get acknowledged as a missing feature. I can also submit a doc revision in the other case.

Simon
Re: Generic edit generic views don't create `fail_silently` messages anymore. Russell Keith-Magee 3/1/12 5:15 PM

On 01/03/2012, at 4:47 AM, Simon Charette wrote:

> Now deprecated generic create_update function based views (create_object, update_object, delete_object) use to create silently failing success messages when the submitted form was valid.
>
> Was it a design decision to omit this feature for class based equivalents?
>
> If it was deliberately omitted then, since function based views are deprecated, the message framework documentation for the `fail_silently` kwarg should be updated to remove the part where it makes reference to generic views using it internally.

To the best of my recollection, it wasn't a deliberate decision to omit these messages. It looks like an oversight during development.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)