Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs ezmobius 4/20/13 4:09 AM
This is our take on a higher end rigid metal Delat bot that is strong enough to carry an extruder or milling spindle on the effector without crying. This may also be the first 10 start 25mm pitch hyper fast leadscrew driven delta bot using full blown pro linear actuators.

Designed by our team member "wulfnor" I love the way this thing looks. Of course it has just finished assembly of first prototype tonight and won't be motion tested for another day or two so will post back more when that happens but simulations show it having no issue with heavier effector,. Printed parts are minimized here and design is modular and can use our SIMO leadscrew stages or pretty much any type of linear slide and drive system as the 3 towers are made of 20x60mm tslot which the linear actuators attach to so you can make it taller by using longer actuators or rails. I have some 1000mm low profile uniguide PTFE slide rails stashed away for my first build of this bot.

Anyway just wanted to share the progress here, will be fully open source hardware and will most likely be sold in fully assembled and dialed form, eventually with a different tool on each tower and the effector capable of parking one tool and picking up another for combined jobs like fast rough 3d print in an additive way then drop the extruder and grab a small milling spindle and go over the print to remove a fine shell and expose high  detail and matte or glossy to other textured finishes.

Modeled and rigged for motion in blender

And some photos of the 3 water jet aluminum plates that form the frame to hold the 3 20x60 tslot towers>>

Here is a closeup of the cars on the SIMO leadscrew driven linear actuators with the printed part to hold the rod ends

Early effector with traxas arm ends which are now swapped for some higher end versions from igus and we will also be machining the effector out of aluminum

Starting to take shape a bit

Finally assembled as of tonight. The night before motion test and all through the Trident, not an stepper was stirring not even ... ahh fuck it >>>

More sometime soon, just a tease for now. :P Not the final extruder and subject to changes still but pretty solid and simple part count already.

-Ezra
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs JohnD 4/20/13 6:19 AM
Shipping *after* batch 2 of the A1 I hope! :P
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs Brad Hopper 4/20/13 10:13 AM
Beautiful! Love that it can mill also. Can't wait to see the automatic head change in action...
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs Dennis 4/20/13 10:18 AM
Looks very industrial!  What print envelope are you shooting for?
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs Ross Shannon 4/20/13 4:33 PM

+1 - waiting patiently

Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs ezmobius 4/21/13 8:25 AM
It moves!  Acceleration is a bit high at 9 or 10k I think so its a little shaky, but should get tuned right up and be printing shortly.

-Ezra
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs Shai 4/21/13 3:29 PM
Your last paragraph is about exchanging tool heads, which is the same as a CNC machine. If you're able to achieve that, this piece of equipment will be very expensive and most likely long lead times on assembly im guessing.
Re: Sneak Peek at the Aluminatus Trident from TrinityLabs ezmobius 4/23/13 4:34 PM
Of course the tool changer system will be somethign that comes after the main 3d printer version of this setup but it is not as hard of a thing to properly engineer as you may think.

Regardless here are a few more videos of it in action.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R4UE6yih4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWHgAgRzv8w

-Ezra