Picturing your space

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Picturing your space Susan Evans 3/23/12 11:07 AM
Hey there fellow coworkers,

I am finally catching up on the ol' Google Group emails, and wanted to share some thoughts & ideas around images you take and share of your coworking space as it grows. We've had some really great experiences over the last many years at Office Nomads, and they're worth sharing:

The Early Days
The challenge in the early days of any coworking space is that you tend to have a whole lot of space but not a whole lot of people. Instead of grabbing stock photos of people you've never met in a space that's not yours, try taking photos of your space in the process of growing up. Take pictures of YOU. Anything that is going to speak to your actual space instead of an idea of your space that doesn't match reality. When we were first getting Office Nomads off the ground, we posted lots of photos of construction and the few people who were around goofing off and working in the space. They're not beautiful. They're not "finished." But neither were we and that was important to share. 

Gaining Ground
As your space is growing and changing every day, it can be easy to just forget to snap photos regularly. Hosting events is not only a great way to get new folks to experience your space, but is a great way to give yourself an excuse to take a photo or two, and will remind you of how your space is changing and adapting as the months go on. We hosted a women's clothing swap as our space was filling up and it was a great event to photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/2201425711/in/set-72157603638106934/
As you grow you'll also have the great experience of OTHER people taking photos of your space. Be sure to encourage new members to share photos they take of the space with you - make the most of your members and bring them into the fold as part of the team! One of our current members snapped some great photos of our space back in 2009 that we still use to describe the feel of our space: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29614296@N03/4030449558/in/pool-611613@N22/
Another great resource is to reach out to individuals who are budding photographers looking to build up their portfolios. We had two great photographers snap shots of our space that became the bulk of our marketing photos that we still use to this day. One of those sets is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157617605911601/

All Grown Up
Now in our 5th year of coworking in Seattle (whoa now!), Jacob and I recently realized that most of the photos that we used to describe our space - on our website, on Facebook, anywhere, were all 2 years old. Sometimes older. And our space had changed a TON since then. We had become so comfortable with the fact that we'd had some pretty pictures taken and they were good enough. 
Well, we finally did something about it. We put the word out that we were looking to snap some photos of the space, found a great photographer through a friend, and gave her guidelines of things we wanted pictures of. And they ARE AWESOME. It's not just our space, but it's our neighborhood, our people, and our style. I can't say enough how valuable it was for us to do this many years later. Check 'em out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157629176679634/

We'll be using some of the new photos for a blog series starting soon as well. I can't wait. 

Hope this proves to be helpful to those in any of the above stages of coworking space-dom. 

Happy Friday!

S
__
Office Nomads         
officenomads.com  
206-484-5859

Re: Picturing your space Susan Evans 3/23/12 11:10 AM
I meant to mention local coworking space MAKERS in Seattle is doing a great job with the Early Days phase, particularly all the shots they've been posting of their space being built out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/themakersspace.

S
__
Office Nomads         
officenomads.com  
206-484-5859



Re: [Coworking] Picturing your space Natalie Chan 3/23/12 12:11 PM
Susan,

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs. It's really great to see how you guys and the space evolved. Very inspiring. 

I am planning on opening one space in Brooklyn this year. Right now my partner and I are still hunting for a good spot. 

We will document the process and share with you as well! 

Cheers,
Natalie  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to cowo...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

RE: [Coworking] Picturing your space santiago24x7 3/25/12 4:51 PM

This is a great idea Susan,

 

SoBeCoWorks will be our version of CoWorking in Bethlehem, PA.

 

I have photographed our Meetups, Round Table discussions, and Community Collaborations and everyone has gotten use to me taking pictures and video of many of our gatherings.

 

I photographed & video reordered some of the façade improvements as well as the current interior build out, we’ve had to demo about 90% of our interior space.

 

I think all the pictures & video will make for a wonderful achieves and when someone ask me, “why do you take so many pictures” I simply tell them, “ it’s for the archives because I may just be looking at the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg”.

 

Our group did submit an entry into the Austin GCUC “I Share My Space Video Contest” and you can see where we met up even though our space is one big demo zone. Check out our entry: http://vimeo.com/groups/124380/videos/37693123

 

Thank you so much for sharing.

 

Santiago

Santiago Rivera

SoBeCoWorks

807 E 4th St, Suite B

Bethlehem, PA 18015

SoBeCoWorks.com

Twitter:  @SoBeCoWorks

 

From: cowo...@googlegroups.com [mailto:cowo...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Susan Evans
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 2:08 PM
To: cowo...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Coworking] Picturing your space

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to cowo...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Re: Picturing your space Stephen M. Frey, AIA LEED AP 3/26/12 9:45 AM
S, Thanks for sharing the journey of Office Nomads and the advice.
The photos of the present day are appealing as the earlier photos from
years ago.  Helpful context.  Best, Steve

On Mar 23, 2:07 pm, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
> Hey there fellow coworkers,
>
> I am finally catching up on the ol' Google Group emails, and wanted to
> share some thoughts & ideas around images you take and share of your
> coworking space as it grows. We've had some really great experiences over
> the last many years at Office Nomads, and they're worth sharing:
>
> *The Early Days*
> The challenge in the early days of any coworking space is that you tend to
> have a whole lot of space but not a whole lot of people. Instead of
> grabbing stock photos of people you've never met in a space that's not
> yours, try taking photos of your space in the process of growing up. Take
> pictures of YOU. Anything that is going to speak to your actual space
> instead of an idea of your space that doesn't match reality. When we were
> first getting Office Nomads off the ground, we posted lots of photos of
> construction and the few people who were around goofing off and working in
> the space. They're not beautiful. They're not "finished." But neither were
> we and that was important to share.
> Some examples:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/2263133829/in/set-721576035...,
> and the construction set:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157603638116092/
>
> *Gaining Ground*
> As your space is growing and changing every day, it can be easy to just
> forget to snap photos regularly. Hosting events is not only a great way to
> get new folks to experience your space, but is a great way to give yourself
> an excuse to take a photo or two, and will remind you of how your space is
> changing and adapting as the months go on. We hosted a women's clothing
> swap as our space was filling up and it was a great event to photo:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/2201425711/in/set-721576036...
> .
> As you grow you'll also have the great experience of OTHER people taking
> photos of your space. Be sure to encourage new members to share photos they
> take of the space with you - make the most of your members and bring them
> into the fold as part of the team! One of our current members snapped some
> great photos of our space back in 2009 that we still use to describe the
> feel of our space:http://www.flickr.com/photos/29614296@N03/4030449558/in/pool-611613@N22/.
> Another great resource is to reach out to individuals who are budding
> photographers looking to build up their portfolios. We had two
> great photographers snap shots of our space that became the bulk of our
> marketing photos that we still use to this day. One of those sets is here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157617605911601/.
>
> *All Grown Up*
Re: Picturing your space Toni Hogan 3/26/12 10:10 AM
Your photos are very inspiring. I am on the web scoping out websites
and space pics daily. It helps to have a point of reference. I've
decided that we don't need to be fully outfitted when we launch. We're
just starting with the basics and growing from there.

Toni Hogan
The Office Connexion

On Mar 23, 1:07 pm, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
> Hey there fellow coworkers,
>
> I am finally catching up on the ol' Google Group emails, and wanted to
> share some thoughts & ideas around images you take and share of your
> coworking space as it grows. We've had some really great experiences over
> the last many years at Office Nomads, and they're worth sharing:
>
> *The Early Days*
> The challenge in the early days of any coworking space is that you tend to
> have a whole lot of space but not a whole lot of people. Instead of
> grabbing stock photos of people you've never met in a space that's not
> yours, try taking photos of your space in the process of growing up. Take
> pictures of YOU. Anything that is going to speak to your actual space
> instead of an idea of your space that doesn't match reality. When we were
> first getting Office Nomads off the ground, we posted lots of photos of
> construction and the few people who were around goofing off and working in
> the space. They're not beautiful. They're not "finished." But neither were
> we and that was important to share.
> Some examples:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/2263133829/in/set-721576035...,
> and the construction set:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157603638116092/
>
> *Gaining Ground*
> As your space is growing and changing every day, it can be easy to just
> forget to snap photos regularly. Hosting events is not only a great way to
> get new folks to experience your space, but is a great way to give yourself
> an excuse to take a photo or two, and will remind you of how your space is
> changing and adapting as the months go on. We hosted a women's clothing
> swap as our space was filling up and it was a great event to photo:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/2201425711/in/set-721576036...
> .
> As you grow you'll also have the great experience of OTHER people taking
> photos of your space. Be sure to encourage new members to share photos they
> take of the space with you - make the most of your members and bring them
> into the fold as part of the team! One of our current members snapped some
> great photos of our space back in 2009 that we still use to describe the
> feel of our space:http://www.flickr.com/photos/29614296@N03/4030449558/in/pool-611613@N22/.
> Another great resource is to reach out to individuals who are budding
> photographers looking to build up their portfolios. We had two
> great photographers snap shots of our space that became the bulk of our
> marketing photos that we still use to this day. One of those sets is here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/sets/72157617605911601/.
>
> *All Grown Up*
Re: [Coworking] Re: Picturing your space Susan Evans 3/26/12 11:40 AM
Glad to hear seeing the photos was helpful, you all! There is a delicate balance to strive for between mimicking what you have seen that you like in other spaces and being true to who you are and what your space is that is unique. 

Best of luck to you all, and share your photos as you go!

Susan

__
Office Nomads         
officenomads.com  
206-484-5859



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to cowo...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.


Re: Picturing your space Toni Hogan 3/26/12 1:31 PM
Most definitely. Checking out other websites helps me confirm, or be
comfortable, that we don't have to flashy, plush or extravagant. We
don't even have to strive for a corporate look. Starting with the
basics allows the space to take on the personality of the
community. :-)

Toni

On Mar 26, 1:40 pm, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
> Glad to hear seeing the photos was helpful, you all! There is a delicate
> balance to strive for between mimicking what you have seen that you like in
> other spaces and being true to who you are and what your space is that is
> unique.
>
> Best of luck to you all, and share your photos as you go!
>
> Susan
> __
> Office Nomads
> officenomads.com
> 206-484-5859
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM, OC Houston <t...@theofficeconnexion.com>wrote: