Categories: Discuss Chrome OS : Chromebook :

Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook

Showing 1-85 of 85 messages
Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook - Melissa Daniels - 3/11/13 11:35 AM
If you have a new Samsung Chromebook, start popping the popcorn and select your favorite movie from your Netflix queue, because you’re ready to start streaming!

Our team has collaborated with Microsoft and Netflix to allow you to stream your favorite content via HTML5.

What does this mean for you? You can now stream Netflix titles to your Samsung Chromebook with no need to install extra apps or plugins-- it just works.

Here’s what you need to do to start enjoying your favorite TV show or movie from Netflix:
  • Ensure that you have an active account from Netflix
  • Login to Netflix
  • Select your favorite TV show or movie and start streaming
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Eric Jones 3/11/13 11:41 AM
Awesome! Worked with Microsoft too? Wow, go teamwork!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook ILUVFREEWIFI 3/11/13 11:52 AM
This is great news!  Now, if only Microsoft will let Skype work from any web browser and on Chrome OS.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Miss Red 3/11/13 11:52 AM
AWESOME! Now if I could only get my 2 question answered about this chromebook that I posted yesterday (re blutooth etc)
, I will be good to go buy one!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mike Frysinger 3/11/13 11:54 AM
for the techies:

for the not-so-techies, searching for "html5 drm" in google will result in a bunch of related news stories.
-mike
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Will 3/11/13 11:55 AM
I discovered a bug already that may cause some issues with people that use the click to play option in content settings: the puzzle icon for whitelisting in the Omnibox doesn't work apparently with the new WideVine plugin and I needed to set plugins to run automatically :(

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Gary L 3/11/13 12:01 PM
Great news! I'll probably pick up an ARM Chromebook now, to add to my ever increasing collection of Chrome devices.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook spartahawk 3/11/13 1:01 PM
Some sort of notification should be sent to all the customers who purchased the device, as it has been long enough that I doubt many of them have continued to check.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mark Goho 3/11/13 1:09 PM
Congratulations Chrome OS team.  This is a HUGE breakthrough!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Robb 3/11/13 1:10 PM
...so does this work if the netflix plugin is disabled?

i don't have a samsung chromebook, but i recall it still having a netflix plugin?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joshua S 3/11/13 1:16 PM
Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Will 3/11/13 1:23 PM
I just tried it and you need both the Netflix and WideVine enabled in order for playback to work.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mike Frysinger 3/11/13 2:02 PM
yes, one is a common HTML5/DRM plugin and the other is a Netflix-specific helper.  they work together to bring the Netflix goodness.
-mike
(unknown) 3/11/13 2:07 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook JLakad 3/11/13 3:15 PM
That is good news, but not unexpected.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dwayne Fontenot 3/11/13 4:16 PM

I'm curious as to how Microsoft was involved.

AFAIK the only connection between MS and Netflix is silverlight,
and if silverlight is not being used in this case, why the need to work with MS?

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mike Frysinger 3/11/13 4:21 PM
i highlighted the connection in an earlier post:
-mike
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dwayne Fontenot 3/11/13 4:24 PM
Yeah I just saw that (followed the link after I posted).

Thanks for the info.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Ought 3/11/13 5:33 PM
I had actually given up.  :-], so this is a nice surprise.  Though, on youtube, just yesterday I got a few messages that a video couldn't play because (they said) my browser does not work with html5.  Then there was another message saying that I had been selected as part of some group to test html5.  Whatever. (Have the Samsung ARM Chromebook.)  I will know soon enough if Netflix works.  Bet it does.  Thanks!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Chris Saenz 3/11/13 5:43 PM
So this is HTML5 native... does this mean Netflix works on Linux Chrome as well?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Robb 3/11/13 6:36 PM
do you have the html5 trial turned on?

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook spartahawk 3/11/13 6:48 PM
I would have assumed so too. Apparently not. According to Mike Frysinger there are a couple of plugins that are needed. Unless there are flags for them in the Linux version of Chrome, it's not going to work. I don't know why Netflix wouldn't want to make it easier to work on all platforms.
Will 3/11/13 7:26 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dymonique C 3/11/13 8:13 PM
I just found this group and thread by accident...Thank goodness I did! YOU GUYS ROCK! I've been so upset that I can have Hulu on my Chromebook but can't watch my movies via Netflix...THANK YOU for fixing this! I love my Chromebook that much more!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Chromebook afficionado 3/11/13 10:52 PM
Great news Melissa! Thank You to the Chromebook team for all your hard work.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook R DeFuria 3/12/13 6:56 AM
I can't tell you how happy I am about this... I watched some Columbo episodes last night!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook blazewon22 3/12/13 7:39 AM
I tested this on my kids ARM and it works fine.  The world is a happier place.  Chrome lives on!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Nuruddin Unchwaniwala 3/12/13 9:27 AM
Great Job guys. Better late than never!  Thanks for all the efforts put in to make this possible for ARM chromebook users.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook jasKaos 3/12/13 9:33 AM
Amazing news!

Annoyed it took 6 months for it to come out but relieved that it finally is! :) Good job Netflix for finally doing something right!

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joey Carlini 3/12/13 11:00 AM
About time!

Ah, well, can't be too mad about it since it finally works.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Brian Jones 3/12/13 2:06 PM
Thank you Google and Netflix!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Avery Benson 3/12/13 5:19 PM
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! Now the Samsung Chromebook is almost just like the others in terms of what it can do and functionality.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook BigC 3/13/13 3:34 PM
I'll add to the kudos!  Well done.  It is much appreciated!!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook cloudsurfer 3/14/13 6:21 PM
Go team! I am running a CR-48 but I am glad they got Netflix working for all those who had been waiting. Ah, Microsoft and Google....
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook downtime 3/15/13 4:43 PM
I was getting Unexpected Error C7357 until changing this setting:

Privacy -> Content -> Plugins -> Run automatically

Apparently Click to play causes the error. I saw some reference to this, but thought I'd spell it out for others with this issue.

Now it works great. Thanks.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Will 3/15/13 4:59 PM
I bookmarked this URL so I can quickly toggle click-to-play on/off as a workaround: chrome://settings/content#plug-ins

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Tim H 3/17/13 12:59 PM
I'd be ecstatic about the Netflix app if I could get VPN working on my chromebook (I have a UK subscription but I'm freelancing in another EU country at the moment). Unfortunately, the VPN doesn't work for me at all :-(
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Jessica Jones 3/23/13 1:36 PM
I have the new samsung chromebook, and when I try to get netflix to work, i get a black screen with a popup that says that I have to ensure that the netflix and the widevine content decryption module plug-ins enabled. I have all the plugins enabled on my computer, though none are those two. help.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joe Ellett 3/23/13 2:32 PM
Go here: chrome://plugins/ and take a screen snapshot.

Mine looks like this:

Also, go to chrome://help/ and take a screen snapshot.

Mine looks like this:

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook alan turner 3/24/13 9:18 AM
same here! its frustrating.. suggestions?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Bud Raymond 3/24/13 12:30 PM
What about Amazon Instant Video streaming?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Gloria Sanchez 3/25/13 12:43 PM
Great. Is it possible for Google to address the Netflix issue on the Chromebook Acer C7?  Error code 7 appears every single time I click on a program/film.  I've reset the Chromebook 3 times to no avail. Please help!!!!
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Robert Lent 3/26/13 9:59 AM
I'm glad they got it done. I don't often watch Netflix on a laptop, but it is nice to have the option. It's good for when I'm in bed and don't feel like going downstairs to the TV.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dymonique C 4/7/13 8:15 AM
My Netflix Just suddenly stopped working :( I got my CB at the beginning of March and Netflix has worked since March 11th. As of yesterday I started getting this message:

Back to Browsing
Netflix Video Player Unavailable
Error Code: C7010-1607

Our apologies - we cannot find the right components to play Netflix on your Chromebook.

Please ensure you are not in a Guest Session or in an Incognito tab.

Also, in chrome://plugins please ensure that both the "Netflix" and the "Widevine Content Decryption Module" plug-ins are enabled and their "Always allowed" setting is checked.

If this problem persists, please update your Chromebook from the "About Chrome OS" menu.
*************************

I've done everything and it's still not working. Any suggestions?

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Ken Bartos 4/7/13 11:51 AM
Have you installed any new extensions or have any of them updated and could be interfering with Netflix?  I would try disabling all of them first and see what happens.  If Netflix work re-enable them 1 by 1 until you find the culprit.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dymonique C 4/10/13 4:03 PM
Hey Ken,

Nope no new extensions have been installed.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 4/10/13 4:07 PM
Hi Dymonique,

Ken is saying to disable them all, then enable them one by one to find the "runs with scissors" bad guy.  Many times, that is a fix.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Ken Bartos 4/10/13 4:09 PM
You could try a Powerwash.  You will lose anything in your download folder and have to setup your system again when it's done.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Vincent Domenick 4/15/13 4:16 PM
I'm having the same issues as Dymonique.  My Netflix was running fine and now it just suddenly stopped working.  It's giving me the same exact error.  Blaaah what do i do?!?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 4/15/13 4:28 PM
@Vincent.

Please look two posts above yours ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

best,
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Miriam Franco 4/19/13 2:43 PM
I was trying to watch Netflix but it asks me that Netflix wants to permanently store data in my computer and I don't know if I should agree to it or not. Help?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 4/19/13 2:52 PM
Miriam:
YES; its just a cookie.

best,
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Ken Bartos 4/19/13 2:55 PM
If you want to use Netflix you're probably going to need to agree.
Dylan Olson 4/25/13 3:56 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Dylan Olson 4/25/13 3:57 PM
Where is this permanently stored data being stored? Because as I watch Netflix, the space on my SSD is decreasing. This is not good.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 4/25/13 4:01 PM
Dylan,

Cookies only take up a few lines of code.  How are you watching Netflix and the space on your hard drive at the same time?  Are you sure you are not confusing RAM with Solid State Disk [SSD]?  Random Access Memory is not on the SSD.

best
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joe Ellett 4/25/13 10:55 PM
As you stream a movie from Netflix it will undoubtedly buffer a portion of the movie in cache. If Netflix did a good design and implementation it will clean up after itself. If not, you might try clearing your cache manually and see how much space you regain.

I don't know how much HTML5 code is being stored locally but I can't imagine it would be huge. A lot of the logic should be in the Netflix and WideVine plug-ins that are already on your machine.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joe Ellett 5/9/13 2:25 PM
Netflix has an announcement and some details on their blog, so if anyone has any more questions, point them to this:
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Matthew Miller 5/28/13 11:05 AM
I finally had my first Netflix experience on the Chromebook. I must say that I'm impressed when comparing it to the lousy experiences I've had with Amazon Instant Video. I had a couple glitchy moments, but it looks way better than Amazon and didn't crash my machine (which Amazon has).
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 5/28/13 1:47 PM
Matthew,

And you have zRAM enabled?

best,
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook TLC 7/9/13 6:58 PM
I cannot get Netflix to work on my Samsung Chromebook that I purchased today how do I fix this? I went to the plug-ins and settings and still no bueno
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Eric Jones 7/9/13 7:43 PM
Did your chromebook update to the latest version of Chrome OS? Go to chrome://version/ to see the version you currently have.  Then you can go to the following link to see what the current release is for each channel. https://googledrive.com/host/0B8R1QvA3x5IbdWZuMm5uSzBpVzg/
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Jason McKenna 7/12/13 11:12 AM
Thanks Eric I'll need to check this out as I've noticed the search box on home page and scrolling arrows aren't working as they have in the past.  Running Samsung Chromebook.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Eric Lacker 8/29/13 1:44 PM
how can  get these? i checked and my chromebook doesnt have them...
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Frank Tedesco 8/29/13 1:51 PM
Erick L

Not sure what you are asking for.  Could you explain?

best,
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Judith A Rowland 9/1/13 10:36 PM
9/1/13.....Tonight I lost Netflix. They claim I have a bad App....I also went directly through the www.netflix.com address.....Still can't get on Netflix...They claim it's my computer, Samsung Serries 3......Told me to get a new App..Did that, still doesn't work....... Until tonight all went well. I get Netflix on my KF just fine........Now what do I do?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook John Hopper 9/11/13 1:15 PM
Dear Judith, I have also been unable to get Netflix on my Chromebook since early September, whereas I had no problem before.  I tweeted the Netflix customer service but they never replied.  Not sure what is going on here.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Gary L 9/11/13 1:17 PM
John Hopper,
If you could send out the specific error message you are getting, we might be able to help. Also what model Chromebook you are using.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook John Hopper 9/11/13 1:24 PM
Thanks, Gary.  The error message is:

"Instant Watching System Compatibility
Dear Chrome OS Device user,
Streaming is not currently supported on your device. We're working with Google to ensure that all Chrome OS users can instantly watch TV programmes and films from Netflix. More details will be announced soon."

It is the Samsung Chromebook launched in October 2012, model number XE303C12-A01UK.

John

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Gary L 9/11/13 2:53 PM
John.
Thanks for posting the error message. I checked with Google reps and there is currently no known issues between Netflix and Chrome OS. From your model number I am guessing you are in the UK, so it might be a problem specific to the UK, in which case not all of us can help you because we might not be able to replicate the problem.

There are several things you could try, no guarantee if any of them will work:

1) Ensure you are updated to the latest version of Chrome OS.
2) Clear your cache. Go to: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData, then make sure the following options are checked before hitting the button "Clear browsing data."

3) It may be an interfering extension, in which case try logging into Guest mode and signing into Netflix and see if this clears up the problem.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Gary L 9/11/13 2:59 PM
John,
Also, there is a Netflix plugin for the XE303. Ensure you have the latest version of the plug-in and that it is enabled at chrome://plugins. I believe there is also a Netflix extension at the Chrome Web Store that you can try.

If all else fails, you can flag the issue to the Chrome team by sending feedback.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook John Hopper 9/14/13 1:40 PM
Thanks for your advice, Gary.  I tried a couple of these ideas but it seemed to make no immediate difference.  However, now the problem seems to be restricted to one specific TV programme that I also cannot stream through Netflix on my Windows laptop.  Other programmes seem to stream okay both on that and on my chromebook.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Madina Damir kyzy 11/11/13 4:36 AM
Then what about countries where Netflix doesn't work, cause the movies that I download don't play properly (there is a good-quality picture, but there is no sound, or only partial background music). I have checked with other laptops and the movies play just fine. Is there any extension or plugin that I can download? Cause I would love to watch some movies offline while at home.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Jeff Helfand 11/11/13 9:17 AM
How about all of us with older chromebooks?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mike Frysinger 11/11/13 9:23 AM
this post was targeting specifically the first ARM Chromebook because it lacked Netflix support at launch.  older devices long had Netflix before.
-mike
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Madina Damir kyzy 11/11/13 6:45 PM
I mean chromebooks somehow work outside of the USA right? then, why can't I as a normal user just watch movies on my chromebook? can you please tell me what should I do? or what kind of media players are compatible with Crome OS?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook LS650 11/11/13 7:28 PM
People watch movies on their Chromebook all the time.   Maybe if you give more details: what is your model of Chromebook, if this is local storage what is the file format that you are trying to play, if this is streaming what is the web site, etc?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Mike Frysinger 11/11/13 7:36 PM
my message was not in response to yours, it was @Jeff Helfand.

Netflix controls the countries where Netflix content is shown.  there's nothing we can do about it.  it's something you'd have to ask Netflix about on their own forums.

if you have a question about playing media that is unrelated to Netflix, then please start a new thread.  this thread is purely about Netflix on the Samsung Chromebook (aka the ARM Chromebook).
-mike
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook James L 11/30/13 6:47 AM
Hi Gary.  I am getting the same error message as John is.  My Chromebook model number is also the same except that it's US not UK, and built February 2013. I saw your list of three actions but have questions about them.
1. To ensure latest version -- I thought Chromebooks updated automatically?  If not, how do I get the latest version?
2. I went to settings but couldn't find the "clear browser data" check box.  How do you navigate there?
3. I don't know how to sign into netflix as a guest.

Looking forward to any advice.  Thanks.  James

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Miss Red 11/30/13 7:33 AM
Hi James - I'm not Gary but hope to get you started. Most of these can be checked by starting here: chrome://settings/
1) in the left side click the bottom link for HELP. You'll see something like this listed and can telll if you are up to date:Version 29.0.1547.74
Platform 4319.96.0 (Official Build) stable-channel parrot
Firmware Google_Parrot.2685.37.0
Your device is up to date.
2) Delete your browse history by going back to SETTINGS. Scroll to the bottom of that page and click link to SHow Advanced Settings ....UNder PRIVACY click the button that says Clear Browsing Data.... Then you can check all the boxes and clear everything

3) I dont think he meant sign into NETFLIX as guest. I think he meant to sign into the Chromebook as guest. You can do that went you restart the CB by not entering your login info - select Log In as Guest from I think bottom left on your screen. Sorry I dont have it up to check.

That should help - let me know if you need more assistance.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Tanner Colson 12/29/13 6:00 PM
mine is still not working, i've looked up and tried multiple ways of fixing it but it still displays a message saying it's incompatible whenever I try to open Netflix, through the app or online
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Joe Ellett 12/29/13 11:34 PM
Tanner, please go to chrome://chrome and post the three lines you find there.
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook roryd 1/7/14 12:22 PM
Hi Melissa,
I just bought a chromebook today, but when I went to my Netflix account and tried to watch a movie, I get a message from Netflix that the Chromebook is currently incompatible with streaming. Am I missing something? To be honest, if I can't stream Netflix, the value of my Chromebook goes way down. Any advice?
Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Ken Bartos 1/7/14 1:20 PM
Hi roryd,

  Welcome to Chromebook Central.  What version number of the Chrome OS are you running?  Type chrome://version/ in the address bar then copy and paste the Google Chrome info & the Platform.

Re: Netflix comes to the New Samsung Chromebook Selden 1/7/14 1:45 PM
Roryd : See this thread for more information, and how to resolve the issue: netflix not working
More topics »