Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar Liz 5/19/12 12:36 AM
Hi, I have a problem with syncing between my Google Calendar and iCal
using BusySync. I don't see any reference to the same problem in the
forums already. Maybe someone can help.

I follow the directions provided by BusySync on how to publish and
subscribe to Google calendars:

Publish to Google
Select one or more of the calendars on the left that you would like to
Publish to Google. Once you select a calendar to publish to Google,
that calendar will be automatically created on Google Calendar and it
will be kept in sync between iCal and Google.

Subscribe to Google
Select one or more of the calendars on the right that you would like
to Subscribe to. Once you Subscribe to a Google Calendar, that
calendar will be automatically created in iCal and will be kept in
sync between iCal and Google Calendar.

After doing this, I get the majority of calendar entries from the
calendar that I've "subscribed to" from Google Calendar in my iCal,
although not all of them. Further, none of the calendars I've
"published" to Google are automatically created in Google Calendar.

For reference, the Google Calendar I am subscribing to is populated
from Lotus Notes using AweSync. The iCal calendars that I am trying to
publish to Google Calendar are created in my iCloud calendar.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer.

[BusyMac] Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar goo...@busymac.com 5/19/12 10:30 AM
Liz,

Please send me your logs so I can help you troubleshoot the problem. You can send the logs by selecting Email Support from the Help menu in BusyCal.

Regards,
-John
sup...@busymac.com
Re: Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar John Chaffee 6/16/12 4:33 PM
Elizabeth,

I received your logs and replied directly. Here's an excerpt for the
benefit of other users who may be experiencing the same problem.

Apple changed something in Lion 10.7.4 that causes iCal to no longer
push changes to Sync Services, which is what BusySync uses for
communicating with iCal. As a result, any changes made in iCal will
not be synced to BusySync. However, changes made on Google or other
computers on your LAN that you are syncing with,  will be synced to
iCal through BusySync. So, the communication is one way -- BusySync
can push information to iCal, but iCal won't push anything back.

You have three options:

1) Upgrade to BusyCal. BusyCal replaces iCal and BusySync. When you
first launch it, it will read in your data from iCal and BusySync and
will sync with iCloud,  Google and others on your LAN, without having
to sync through Sync Services. If you want to give it a try, you can
download the 30-day trial here:

http://www.busymac.com/download/BusyCal.zip

2) Another option, would be to stop using BusySync and just configure
iCal to sync directly with Google in iCal > Preferences > Accounts.

3) The final option is a bit of a hack. We discovered that iCal will
sync with Sync Services, if you are syncing calendars with an iOS
device via iTunes. As a work around, you can temporarily enable iTunes
syncing, then disable it, and iCal will resume syncing with BusySync.
Here's what to do:

* Connect your iOS device to your Mac via USB and launch iTunes.
* Select your iOS device in the iTunes source list, then click the
Info tab.
* In the info tab, check the "Sync Calendars" checkbox.
* Click the Apply button to perform a sync with your iOS device.
* After the sync has completed, uncheck the "Sync Calendars"
checkbox.
* When prompted whether to keep or remove the calendars synced to your
iOS device, click Remove Calendars.
* Click the Apply button once more to sync your iOS device and remove
the calendars.

iCal should now be syncing calendars with BusySync.

Regards,
-John
BusyMac
Re: [BusyMac] Re: Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar Joe 6/16/12 5:09 PM
Hi John,

Any idea why 10.7.4 broke sync services? Is it intentional on Apple's part or inadvertent?

Joe

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity & typos.

John Chaffee <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

[BusyMac] Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar goo...@busymac.com 6/16/12 5:30 PM
I don't know if it was intentional or not. We've reported the bug to Apple but do not think they are going to fix it.

In fact Sync Services is deprecated in Mountain Lion, so this may just be a hint of things to come. Everything is moving to the cloud.

Regards,
-John
sup...@busymac.com
Re: [BusyMac] Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar Charles Butcher 6/28/12 2:58 AM
Does this explain why on 10.7.4 events that I create in BusyCal appear in iCal, but not vice versa?

In Leopard, I used an Applescript to create events in iCal, which then appeared in BusyCal. Now I have moved to Lion this no longer works. Any suggestions appreciated!

Charles

> John Chaffee wrote:

<snip>
Re: Problems publishing and subscribing to Google Calendar Chris Haynes 7/25/12 3:23 PM
The steps listed above using the hack don't seem to work. It looks like I'm not communicating at all with Google. Yet I don't receive any errors on a sync. Any thoughts John?