Categories: Announcement : Debian : Software :

Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test

Showing 1-147 of 147 messages
Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Jason Kridner 3/5/14 2:51 PM
The latest BeagleBone Debian images are now posted at: http://beagleboard.org/latest-images/

If you've upgraded the firmware on your BeagleBone or BeagleBone Black in the past, the experience will be quite similar, but you might find the eMMC flashing times a bit faster (~15 minutes rather than ~45 minutes) due to less post-installation processing. Using the 2GB uSD card image also flashes a bit faster and can be resized to whatever your uSD card size is using some scripts under /opt/scripts/tools.

Many, many thanks to Robert Nelson, Rob Rittman, Dave Anders, Cody Lacey, the Cloud9 IDE team and so many others in getting us this far.

Please take the time to give a detailed look over this image and report any issues to the bug tracker on elinux.org:
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

While plugged in over USB, you'll see the familiar BEAGLE_BONE drive with START.htm to tell you how to get the drivers configured if you haven't already done so:

Inline image 2

Clicking the link or visiting http://192.168.7.2, you'll see the familiar on-board served documentation:

Inline image 1

I've introduced a few bugs to the documentation (http://github.com/beaglebone/bone101 and http://beagleboard.github.io/bone101), so expect to find a lot of issues there. Patches are welcome as are notes in the bug tracker to make sure I don't miss dotting any i's or crossing any t's. This is your chance to try to get some documentation into the system you'd like to see. I felt it was pretty safe to save the documentation as an in-beta item because it shouldn't impact functionality.

One of the biggest new features you'll see is when you click on the Cloud9 IDE link:

Inline image 3

This is a pre-open-source-beta-only release of version 3 of their IDE. Down at the bottom of the Cloud9 IDE you'll see a new terminal window that runs a full 'tmux' session. You can open up a bunch of these and it makes logging into the board and executing command-line operations *super* simple.

Cloud9 IDE version 3 now includes support for Python and the Adafruit_BBIO library is included in these Debian images. That means you can simply paste in your Python code and hit the "run" button, without any additional download. I checked this out myself by doing a quick LED blink using the Adafruit tutorial (http://learn.adafruit.com/blinking-an-led-with-beaglebone-black/writing-a-program):

Inline image 4

You should also note that the /var/lib/cloud9 directory now contains a git clone of that bone101 repo (http://github.com/beagleboard/bone101), so you can start using the Cloud9 IDE to edit the content live. What I recommend is creating your own fork of the repo and sending me pull requests of any changes you'd like to see.

You can also edit C/C++ code in the Cloud9 IDE, but no 'builder' or 'runner' plug-ins are provided. You will, however, find the Userspace-Arduino (http://elinux.org/Userspace_Arduino) code in /opt/source/Userspace-Arduino. Here's a quick little exercise you can do to blink LED0:

root@beaglebone# cd /opt/source/Userspace-Arduino/arduino-makefile/examples/Blink
root@beaglebone# perl -i -pe 's/13/14/g' Blink.ino
root@beaglebone# make
root@beaglebone# ./build-userspace/Blink.elf

For more advanced C/C++ developers, future releases should include https://github.com/jackmitch/libsoc.

Those familiar with Linux will also note that the init system is 'systemd', which has been helpful in providing reasonable boot times. If you are looking for the journal, you can explore it using 'systemd-journalctl'.

I use a Mac and despite the latest version of HoRNDIS fixing issues with Internet Connection Sharing, getting on the WIFI at home makes getting my BeagleBones on the network much easier, further making grabbing new packages with 'sudo apt-get install' much simpler. Drivers and firmware for many common USB WiFi dongles are included, so be sure to report any that you find missing. These latest images include the drivers for the popular UWN200 adapters provided by Logic Supply. To test it out myself, I uncommented and edited the wlan0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces (including replacing wlan0 with ra0), shutdown, plugged in the adapter and powered up the board again. I'm seeing the issue "rt28xx_open return fail!", but I'm sure this is something we can fix in a few days and provide an updated image. I removed that adapter and plugged in an adapter I bought from Adafruit (and switched ra0 back to wlan0) and got the issue "rtl8192cu:_rtl92cu_init_power_on():<0-0> Failed to polling REG_APS_FSMCO[APFM_ONMAC] done!". Finally, I plugged in a TL-WN822N adapter I bought from Amazon and BINGO---WiFi!!! Anyway, getting reports on what adapters work and don't work would be really helpful at this point as we'll be trying to get a very full set of WiFi drivers included.

This is just a quick intro to some of the experience and what we are focused on fine tuning. Please take the time to check it out and let us know about your experience. It should be known that Koen has continued to advance the state of the Angstrom Distributions images he provides and those continue to serve as a more flexible base for building truly custom Linux distributions needed by many embedded systems developers. However, as our user base has grown, getting a Debian image that feels a bit more familiar to Linux novices is something for which I've heard tremendous demand. If feedback from the community is positive, there will be a switch as to what distribution comes loaded in the eMMC flash on the boards. I hope you enjoy it!

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/5/14 3:42 PM
[...]

Talking with the guys at Logic Supply, it's just a small goof in the directory location of the RT2870STA.dat file.

Quick fix via:
cd /opt/scripts/
git pull
./fixes/debian-2014-03-04-to-HEAD.sh

or:
sudo mv /etc/Wireless/RT2870/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:51:19 PM UTC-5, Jason Kridner wrote:
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Eamonn BotheringElectrons 3/6/14 8:04 AM
Jason and Robert: well done for this fine upgrade! Seems like a lot of things are really coming together very quickly.
Hardware: BBB A5C; OS Version: Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Tried it last night and a lot of things are working well.
Cloud9 IDE debugging works perfectly for javascript. Just have to remember to hit the > button to start the debug running.
I tried the python sample also, but could not get that to work. I'll investigate more.

My trusty WNA1100 works out of the box with the addition of:
    wpa-ssid "MySSID"                    #SSID name
    wpa-psk  "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xx" #PSK hex string
into /etc/network/interfaces under wlan0 section.
The Netgear WNA1100 (Atheros chipset) is indeed the most reliable Wifi adapter I have found yet.

My UWN200 (which was very reliable under later Angstrom versions) now works on debian after modifying the /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA directory name and adding the wpa-ssid/wpa-psk to the ra0 section of /etc/network/interfaces.
However, I notice that the UWN200 pumps out a lot of DMESGs every 2 seconds or so. I had the same problem in 3.8.13-bone40 after compiling the kernel module from the Mediatek sources. I think there may be a debug flag turned on in the driver config, causing the frequent DMESGs. I'll check this out and see if they can be easily stopped.
The WNA1100 driver is very quiet in comparison.

I have a TP-Link TL WN725N lying around somewhere (Realtek chipset) that I'll try out also. (I could not get this working reliably in Angstrom - flung in a drawer somewhere!)

One question springs to mind: if I want to run the BBB as a headless server with Node.js and Cloud9, is there anything I can remove from the installed software packages that would be superfluous if I'm not using HDMI, lxde and so on?

Thanks for all the effort. Great software to match Gerald's fine hardware!
-Eamonn
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/6/14 8:18 AM
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM,  <bothering...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jason and Robert: well done for this fine upgrade! Seems like a lot of
>> things are really coming together very quickly.
>
> Hardware: BBB A5C; OS Version: Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar
> 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> Tried it last night and a lot of things are working well.
> Cloud9 IDE debugging works perfectly for javascript. Just have to remember
> to hit the > button to start the debug running.

I'd love to disable this "debug" feature by default, if you happen to
find a fix, I'll add it to the image.

> I tried the python sample also, but could not get that to work. I'll
> investigate more.
>
> My trusty WNA1100 works out of the box with the addition of:
>     wpa-ssid "MySSID"                    #SSID name
>     wpa-psk  "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xx" #PSK hex string
> into /etc/network/interfaces under wlan0 section.
> The Netgear WNA1100 (Atheros chipset) is indeed the most reliable Wifi
> adapter I have found yet.
>
> My UWN200 (which was very reliable under later Angstrom versions) now works
> on debian after modifying the /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA directory name and
> adding the wpa-ssid/wpa-psk to the ra0 section of /etc/network/interfaces.
> However, I notice that the UWN200 pumps out a lot of DMESGs every 2 seconds
> or so. I had the same problem in 3.8.13-bone40 after compiling the kernel
> module from the Mediatek sources. I think there may be a debug flag turned
> on in the driver config, causing the frequent DMESGs. I'll check this out
> and see if they can be easily stopped.

For reference, I'm using this Mediatek source version:
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/thirdparty/MT7601/DPO_MT7601U_LinuxSTA_3.0.0.4_20130913.tar.bz2

So If you find the config flag to quiet dmesg, i'll add it to the build snipit.

https://github.com/rcn-ee/farm/blob/master/thirdparty/MT7601.sh

> The WNA1100 driver is very quiet in comparison.
>
> I have a TP-Link TL WN725N lying around somewhere (Realtek chipset) that
> I'll try out also. (I could not get this working reliably in Angstrom -
> flung in a drawer somewhere!)
>
> One question springs to mind: if I want to run the BBB as a headless server
> with Node.js and Cloud9, is there anything I can remove from the installed
> software packages that would be superfluous if I'm not using HDMI, lxde and
> so on?

This should clear most of the lxde/xorg package set:

apt-get remove -y x11-common ; apt-get autoremove
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Eamonn BotheringElectrons 3/6/14 2:08 PM
Hi Robert,
First, thanks for the instruction to remove x11... that gets my rootfs usage down from about 83% to 69%. More room for building stuff!

The Mediatek driver software has a define in  os/linux/rt_linux.c line 54:

ULONG RTDebugLevel =  RT_DEBUG_TRACE;
+ULONG RTDebugLevel = RT_DEBUG_WARN; //Fix annoying dmsgs; was RT_DEBUG_TRACE;

I've rebuilt the driver with the bone41 headers, and that seems to eliminate most of the dmesgs.

Hope that's useful.

Many thanks - Eamonn
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Lee Crocker 3/6/14 3:54 PM
Dittos on the Kudos. With the 3.13 kernel works very nicely: all 7 of my weird USB gadgets work, Networking is good, Chrome on lxde is nice. Node 10 all looks good. Even rebuilding the kernel wasn't too painful (though still not fast enough to ditch the cross-compiler).  I'm not an IDE guy so I can't comment on Cloud9, but I'm happy with gvim... (sorry for the cross-thread snark).
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/6/14 4:39 PM
Awsome, thanks!

https://github.com/rcn-ee/farm/commit/47a4acff774280b55772d02fccab4ad2ef63212f

builder are back up and running, so the next kernel image test will
have the fix..

Thanks!
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test m...@timb.us 3/6/14 11:06 PM
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:51:19 PM UTC-5, Jason Kridner wrote:
The latest BeagleBone Debian images are now posted at: http://beagleboard.org/latest-images/

I removed that adapter and plugged in an adapter I bought from Adafruit (and switched ra0 back to wlan0) and got the issue "rtl8192cu:_rtl92cu_init_power_on():<0-0> Failed to polling REG_APS_FSMCO[APFM_ONMAC] done!".

My Edimax rtl8192cu works out of the box, well, sort of… I'm getting seemingly horrible packet loss with the adapter. I've got a Raspberry Pi with the exact same adapter sitting directly next to it that has no issues.

timb@woodpi ~ $ iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Timothy & Star"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"

          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 60:33:4B:E8:18:AB

          Bit Rate:72.2 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0

          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

          Power Management:off

          Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=75/100  Noise level=0/100

          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

root@beaglebone:~# iwconfig

wlan2     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Timothy & Star"

          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 60:33:4B:E8:18:AB

          Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm

          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off

          Encryption key:off

          Power Management:off

          Link Quality=47/70  Signal level=-63 dBm

          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:109   Missed beacon:0

Tons of "Invalid misc" errors on the BBB. I thought it might be the adapter itself, but swapping the Pi's adapter for the BBB's yielded the same results. I thought the Pi might be interfering with the signal somehow but that's not the issue either. At least I can actually get this online, unlike Angstrom…
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Eamonn BotheringElectrons 3/7/14 4:52 AM
Hi Robert,

The fix I suggested yesterday still leaves some debug dmesgs.

I tried to eliminate DBG entirely.
However, make with -DDBG removed from os/linux/config.mk lines 290:293

    # config for STA mode

    ifeq ($(RT28xx_MODE),STA)
    --WFLAGS += -DCONFIG_STA_SUPPORT -DSCAN_SUPPORT -DDBG
    ++WFLAGS += -DCONFIG_STA_SUPPORT -DSCAN_SUPPORT

causes build errors in /sta/sta_cfg.c:
/home/tmp/DPO_MT7601U_LinuxSTA_3.0.0.4_20130913/os/linux/../../sta/sta_cfg.c:8278:4: error: implicit declaration of function âRTMPIoctlMACâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/home/tmp/DPO_MT7601U_LinuxSTA_3.0.0.4_20130913/os/linux/../../sta/sta_cfg.c:8282:4: error: implicit declaration of function âRTMPIoctlE2PROMâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/home/tmp/DPO_MT7601U_LinuxSTA_3.0.0.4_20130913/os/linux/../../sta/sta_cfg.c:8286:4: error: implicit declaration of function âRTMPIoctlRFâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

This can be fixed by adding in an #ifdef DBG...#endif wrapper into:
sta/sta_cfg.c   line 8276:8288

    --
    ++#ifdef DBG  //Include if DBG on
            case CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_MAC:

            case CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_E2P:
                RTMPIoctlE2PROM(pAd, pRequest);
                break;

            case CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_RF:
                RTMPIoctlRF(pAd, pRequest);
                break;
    --
    ++#endif

The above case statements need to be wrapped in an #ifdef DBG ... #endif,
same as sta/sta_ioctl.c lines 2622:2638:

    #ifdef DBG
            case RTPRIV_IOCTL_MAC:
                RTMP_STA_IoctlHandle(pAd, wrq, CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_MAC, 0,
                                    NULL, 0, RT_DEV_PRIV_FLAGS_GET(net_dev));
    /* RTMPIoctlMAC(pAd, wrq); */
                break;
            case RTPRIV_IOCTL_E2P:
                RTMP_STA_IoctlHandle(pAd, wrq, CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_E2P, 0,
                                    NULL, 0, RT_DEV_PRIV_FLAGS_GET(net_dev));
    /* RTMPIoctlE2PROM(pAd, wrq); */
                break;
            case RTPRIV_IOCTL_RF:
                RTMP_STA_IoctlHandle(pAd, wrq, CMD_RTPRIV_IOCTL_RF, 0,
                                    NULL, 0, RT_DEV_PRIV_FLAGS_GET(net_dev));
    /* RTMPIoctlRF(pAd, wrq); */
                break;
    #endif /* DBG */

By the way, a quick compare of the WNA1100 (22% RX dropped) and UWN200 (<4% RX dropped).
Looks like the big antenna makes a difference!

Thanks - Eamonn
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test sfuga...@gmail.com 3/7/14 1:22 PM

Trying to run i2cdetect but keep getting:

Error: Can't use SMBus Quick Write command on this bus
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/7/14 5:31 PM

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM, <sfuga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Trying to run i2cdetect but keep getting:

Error: Can't use SMBus Quick Write command on this bus

Well you need to add the optional "-y -f" commands.. (off the top of my head, --help to get the correct options)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

[  180.537526] INFO: task mmcqd/0:74 blocked for more than 60 seconds.
[  180.544275] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  180.552668] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks
[  180.559071] [<c0010443>] (unwind_backtrace+0x1/0x8a) from [<c0455ced>] (panic+0x51/0x148)
[  180.567727] [<c0455ced>] (panic+0x51/0x148) from [<c006770b>] (watchdog+0x14f/0x194)
[  180.575937] [<c006770b>] (watchdog+0x14f/0x194) from [<c003fb8f>] (kthread+0x67/0x74)
[  180.584234] [<c003fb8f>] (kthread+0x67/0x74) from [<c000c0dd>] (ret_from_fork+0x11/0x34)
[  180.592778] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console

I saw this post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/g8JQWFmw4_w

is this backport from 3.12 part of the image?

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/10/14 7:03 AM
Yeap:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/blob/am33x-v3.8/patch.sh#L845

Doesn't really make a difference for 3.8 thou, as you see..

Best to just switch to v3.13.x
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Steve French 3/11/14 8:21 AM
Hello all!
I have been testing the new official Debian eMMC flasher image for the BBB…
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images/
(…in particular this one Debian (BeagleBone Black - 2GB eMMC) 2014-03-04)

root@vBBB5studioS:/var/lib/cloud9# uname -a
Linux vBBB5studioS 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Regarding available space on the eMMC, I am seeing this after a fresh flash…
root@vBBB5studioS:/var/lib/cloud9# df -h
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                  1.7G  1.3G  284M  83% /
udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   100M  788K   99M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/57e2c7bb-2b31-488e-b9b4-92e3e4c6af20  1.7G  1.3G  284M  83% /
tmpfs                                                   249M     0  249M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                                   249M     0  249M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                   100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
/dev/mmcblk0p1                                           96M   80M   17M  83% /boot/uboot

Does this look right?  Is it really supposed to be 83% full from the start with only 284MB remaining?  I was trying to build some software from source (OLA framework) and during the make process I got some errors about running out of disk space.  If I was to start looking for space to free up, where would I start?  (I have several BBBs and some of them I was hoping to use a GUI on, but most I just use SSH)

Thanks!
-frenchy
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/11/14 8:26 AM
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Steve French <voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
> I have been testing the new official Debian eMMC flasher image for the BBB...
> http://beagleboard.org/latest-images/
> (...in particular this one Debian (BeagleBone Black - 2GB eMMC) 2014-03-04)
>
> root@vBBB5studioS:/var/lib/cloud9# uname -a
> Linux vBBB5studioS 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l
> GNU/Linux
>

> Regarding available space on the eMMC, I am seeing this after a fresh flash...
> root@vBBB5studioS:/var/lib/cloud9# df -h
> Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail
> Use% Mounted on
> rootfs                                                  1.7G  1.3G  284M
> 83% /
> udev                                                     10M     0   10M
> 0% /dev
> tmpfs                                                   100M  788K   99M
> 1% /run
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/57e2c7bb-2b31-488e-b9b4-92e3e4c6af20  1.7G  1.3G  284M
> 83% /
> tmpfs                                                   249M     0  249M
> 0% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                                                   249M     0  249M
> 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M
> 0% /run/lock
> tmpfs                                                   100M     0  100M
> 0% /run/user
> /dev/mmcblk0p1                                           96M   80M   17M
> 83% /boot/uboot
>

> Does this look right?  Is it really supposed to be 83% full from the start
> with only 284MB remaining?

Correct, to meet everyone's out of box pkg requirements, the eMMC is
mostly full.  If you drop opencv/python/chromium you'll gain a lot of
space back.

Otherwise, it's just easier to just use the non-flasher image on a
4GB/8GB microSD card.
(making sure to use the "grow_partition.sh" script under
/opt/scripts/tools/ to fully resize the drive)
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/11/14 12:07 PM
Hello,

this was one of the problems with BBB. I managed to install Debian with "BBB-eMMc-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img" installed only Xfce (needed an graphical output) and had about 450 MB left. Beside that I had to install a swap file 128 MB I'm down to 211156. That's not a lot. Under Angstrom I managed to use the sd card with the uEnv.txt as additional storage, but I forgot to withdraw the card when finished and waited while booting up until I noticed that the BBB got stuck.

My question to Robert: Is there a clean way under Debian to format or mount the sd card as additional storage or even better: Is it possible to mount e.g. homedirectories to that card, so that we are not stuck to that damned 2 GB. I know, I could use the card to boot from, but ...

Regards
   Hajo DL1SDZ
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/11/14 4:06 PM
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this was one of the problems with BBB. I managed to install Debian with
> "BBB-eMMc-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img" installed only Xfce (needed
> an graphical output) and had about 450 MB left. Beside that I had to install
> a swap file 128 MB I'm down to 211156. That's not a lot. Under Angstrom I
> managed to use the sd card with the uEnv.txt as additional storage, but I
> forgot to withdraw the card when finished and waited while booting up until
> I noticed that the BBB got stuck.

You can also dump all the man pages, locales, etc. There is a lot of
documentation installed by default in debian that wasn't in the
Angstrom images's..

> My question to Robert: Is there a clean way under Debian to format or mount
> the sd card as additional storage or even better: Is it possible to mount
> e.g. homedirectories to that card, so that we are not stuck to that damned 2
> GB. I know, I could use the card to boot from, but ...

Yes, usually any tools fdisk/sfdisk/gparted reformat the microSD card.
As long as there isn't an "uEnv.txt" file with the variable "uenvcmd"
set in the first partition the bootloader will ignore the microSD
card.  Just add it to /etc/fstab and create a new home diretory on it.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/12/14 5:39 AM
Hello Robert,

thanks for your advice. I deleted the man pages and some other stuff.
It helped. Now I have about 15 % available. Great. I noticed, that
most of the non-critical packages (from: Reduce Debian) were already
missing.

But bare with me, I'm not a Linux Guru like you.
I reformatted the sd card using a script that I found: mkcard.sh found
in an Angstrom discussion.

It created:

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1   *      0+      8       9-     72261    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2          9     965     957    7687102+  83  Linux

And I found the mmcblk0p2 partition named rootfs with a Lost and found
directory.
My uEnv.txt (found in an Angstrom-discussion) looks like:

bootpart=1:2
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2

I didn't find the vriable " uenvcmd". Perhaps there is something
missing in the uEnv.txt.
The I create on rootfs a directory and an fstab file? And write ?
And should I create the home etc. directories in that partition?

Sorry for bothering you again. Next time we meet , the bottle of wine is on me.

Thanks and regards
Hajo
Gruss
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 5:43 AM
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> thanks for your advice. I deleted the man pages and some other stuff.
> It helped. Now I have about 15 % available. Great. I noticed, that
> most of the non-critical packages (from: Reduce Debian) were already
> missing.
>
> But bare with me, I'm not a Linux Guru like you.
> I reformatted the sd card using a script that I found: mkcard.sh found
> in an Angstrom discussion.
>
> It created:
>
> Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
> /dev/mmcblk0p1   *      0+      8       9-     72261    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/mmcblk0p2          9     965     957    7687102+  83  Linux
>
> And I found the mmcblk0p2 partition named rootfs with a Lost and found
> directory.
> My uEnv.txt (found in an Angstrom-discussion) looks like:
>
> bootpart=1:2
> mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2

With my image, don't worry about this. ^^^ As long as there is no
"uEnv.txt" file on the microSD, u-boot will always use the factory one
i installed in the eMMC.  And since it uses uuid's instead of the raw
partition name, it'll always find the "rootfs" partition no matter
what.  So just blank/format your microSD as a simple ext4 partition.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 5:45 AM
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Robert,
>>
>> thanks for your advice. I deleted the man pages and some other stuff.
>> It helped. Now I have about 15 % available. Great. I noticed, that
>> most of the non-critical packages (from: Reduce Debian) were already
>> missing.

PS: if you want to get crazy, the same script that generated this
image, can also build a version of debian that'll fit in 64MB. But at
that point all you have is perl/apt-get/dpkg..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/12/14 5:49 AM
Robert,

that was a fast one. Thanks again - discussions in other groups can
sometimes lead you to nowhere and you get lost. (There was written
that the uEnv.txt was mandatory) So I will not use your 64 MB image.
Sorry, I am happy that this one is running.

Have a nice day
and so long from Nowhere man

Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 5:53 AM
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> that was a fast one. Thanks again - discussions in other groups can
> sometimes lead you to nowhere and you get lost. (There was written
> that the uEnv.txt was mandatory) So I will not use your 64 MB image.
> Sorry, I am happy that this one is running.

Yeah, this requirement was a bug in the version of u-boot shipped with
the board.

You can see how i worked around the issue here:

https://github.com/eewiki/u-boot-patches/blob/master/v2013.10/0001-am335x_evm-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch#L154

Essentially the original factory u-boot, only checked for the presense
of the microSD, if found it would try to boot with it no matter what.

Instead, I set it up, to search for a uEnv.txt, try to load it and
test if "uenvcmd" was set. Thus a little more error proof..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Steve French 3/12/14 8:58 AM
Robert,
Thanks for your response!  I have 15 BBBs and one uSD card, so I am kinda leaning toward using the eMMC on each.

Robert said:
Correct, to meet everyone's out of box pkg requirements, the eMMC is
mostly full.  If you drop opencv/python/chromium you'll gain a lot of
space back.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a "magic scalpel" command to free up all space related to Opencv?   ...and then separately, Chromium?  Something is not right with the approach I tried...

  •  apt-get autoremove opencv*
After this operation, 27.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

  • apt-get autoremove chromium*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'chromium' is not installed, so not removed

...maybe I just need to learn how to use "aptitude" ?  I am guessing that an "uninstall" or "remove" or "autoremove" command is better than going through and deleting random directories full of opencv/chromium related things?

Thanks for any insights!!!
ps- I decided to remove all documentation on one of my BBBs, so I did this...
rm /usr/share/doc -R
...that seemed to free up 91MB, but it still wasnt enough!!!

Ran out of space again during "make"!!!!!!

ola-rdm-discover.cpp:232:1: fatal error: closing dependency file .deps/ola-rdm-discover.Tpo: No space left on device
compilation terminated.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[2]: *** [ola-rdm-discover.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ola/examples'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ola'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thx!
-frenchy
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 9:11 AM
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Steve French <voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
> Thanks for your response!  I have 15 BBBs and one uSD card, so I am kinda
> leaning toward using the eMMC on each.
>
> Robert said:
>>
>> Correct, to meet everyone's out of box pkg requirements, the eMMC is
>> mostly full.  If you drop opencv/python/chromium you'll gain a lot of
>> space back.
>>

> Pardon my ignorance, but is there a "magic scalpel" command to free up all
> space related to Opencv?   ...and then separately, Chromium?  Something is
> not right with the approach I tried...
>

>  apt-get autoremove opencv*
>
> After this operation, 27.8 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

apt-get remove libopencv-* --purge ; apt-get autoremove

> apt-get autoremove chromium*

So due to the build requirements, chromium is currently not a *.deb
package. I'd like to change this. But to give you an idea, it takes a
Quad Core Cortex A9, running at 1.2Ghz with 2GB of ram and a 7200rpm
sata drive 8 hours to build..

SO just:
rm -rf /usr/lib/chromium/
rm -f /usr/bin/chromium

> ...maybe I just need to learn how to use "aptitude" ?  I am guessing that an
> "uninstall" or "remove" or "autoremove" command is better than going through
> and deleting random directories full of opencv/chromium related things?
>
> Thanks for any insights!!!
> ps- I decided to remove all documentation on one of my BBBs, so I did
> this...
> rm /usr/share/doc -R
> ...that seemed to free up 91MB, but it still wasnt enough!!!

you can also dump:

/usr/share/man/

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

On Monday, March 10, 2014 8:03:28 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Doesn't really make a difference for 3.8 thou, as you see..

Best to just switch to v3.13.x

Robert,

How do you propose that users switch to v3.13.x (by which I assume you mean the Linux kernel version)?

My BBB panics like this on every boot using the Debian 2014-03-04 image. I can't even log in to the text console.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 12:02 PM
"panics" on every boot?

Do you have any error log?  I can't really help with that limited info.

Easitest thing to do is, grab the non-flasher:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/beagle-debian/bone-debian-7.4-2014-03-04-2gb.img.xz

flash it to a microSD card..

mount the first fat partition, edit "uEnv.txt" remove the "quiet" from
optargs.. save unmount..

Next using a usb-serial convert log the full serial boot log for me.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Steve French 3/12/14 12:39 PM
Dennis,
I am not sure what you mean by "BBB panics", but I can tell you that I have been upgrading my kernel using the new Debian eMMC flasher image.  I have done it on several BBBs so far with no problem....

Before the procedure:
uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Then Update Kernel:
  • cd /opt/scripts/
  • git pull
  • ./tools/update_kernel.sh --beta-kernel
  • reboot
And after the procedure:
uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.13.6-bone7 #1 SMP Sat Mar 8 01:11:45 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Hope this helps....
-frenchy

--
Respectfully,
Steve French

President, Volt Vision
www.voltvision.com

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Alexander Holler 3/12/14 12:41 PM
Am 12.03.2014 20:02, schrieb Robert Nelson:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, March 10, 2014 8:03:28 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesn't really make a difference for 3.8 thou, as you see..
>>>
>>> Best to just switch to v3.13.x
>>>

>> Robert,
>>
>> How do you propose that users switch to v3.13.x (by which I assume you mean
>> the Linux kernel version)?
>>
>> My BBB panics like this on every boot using the Debian 2014-03-04 image. I
>> can't even log in to the text console.
>
> "panics" on every boot?
>
> Do you have any error log?  I can't really help with that limited info.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a non-patched 3.13.x, but I've
recently tried (plain) 3.13.6 and received a panic (oops) straight on
boot in musb (a bt-dongle was connected on boot). So I've just switched
back to some heavy patched 3.11 I haven't many problems with.

Sorry, no log too and I'm currently too lazy to fiddle with the bone and
produce one, but it might be a hint to try booting with some usb-device
connected.

Regards,

Alexander Holler
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/12/14 12:43 PM
He has done something wrong, or has missed a step in setting up his media.

Having a serial debug cable on the board and working would clear things up in a hurry.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/12/14 1:21 PM

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:02:55 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
"panics" on every boot?

Do you have any error log?  I can't really help with that limited info.

When I said "panics like this" I meant in the same way that as the user whose message you replied to. I have copied his log below. On my BBB it usually happens just after the 120 second mark, but I have also seen it happen at 180 seconds as below. The rest of the messages are identical (same addresses etc.).

[  180.537526] INFO: task mmcqd/0:74 blocked for more than 60 seconds.
[  180.544275] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  180.552668] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks
[  180.559071] [<c0010443>] (unwind_backtrace+0x1/0x8a) from [<c0455ced>] (panic+0x51/0x148)
[  180.567727] [<c0455ced>] (panic+0x51/0x148) from [<c006770b>] (watchdog+0x14f/0x194)
[  180.575937] [<c006770b>] (watchdog+0x14f/0x194) from [<c003fb8f>] (kthread+0x67/0x74)
[  180.584234] [<c003fb8f>] (kthread+0x67/0x74) from [<c000c0dd>] (ret_from_fork+0x11/0x34)
[  180.592778] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console

Easitest thing to do is, grab the non-flasher:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/beagle-debian/bone-debian-7.4-2014-03-04-2gb.img.xz

flash it to a microSD card..

That is what I did, and what I am running.

mount the first fat partition, edit "uEnv.txt" remove the "quiet" from
optargs.. save unmount..

Next using a usb-serial convert log the full serial boot log for me.

Will do.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/12/14 1:31 PM
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:02:55 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> "panics" on every boot?
>>
>> Do you have any error log?  I can't really help with that limited info.
>>

> When I said "panics like this" I meant in the same way that as the user
> whose message you replied to. I have copied his log below. On my BBB it
> usually happens just after the 120 second mark, but I have also seen it
> happen at 180 seconds as below. The rest of the messages are identical (same
> addresses etc.).
>
> [  180.537526] INFO: task mmcqd/0:74 blocked for more than 60 seconds.
>
> [  180.544275] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables
> this message.
> [  180.552668] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks
> [  180.559071] [<c0010443>] (unwind_backtrace+0x1/0x8a) from [<c0455ced>]
> (panic+0x51/0x148)
> [  180.567727] [<c0455ced>] (panic+0x51/0x148) from [<c006770b>]
> (watchdog+0x14f/0x194)
> [  180.575937] [<c006770b>] (watchdog+0x14f/0x194) from [<c003fb8f>]
> (kthread+0x67/0x74)
> [  180.584234] [<c003fb8f>] (kthread+0x67/0x74) from [<c000c0dd>]
> (ret_from_fork+0x11/0x34)
> [  180.592778] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text
> console

Yeah this annoyance..

What brand of microSD cards are you using?

We've back ported a few mmc tweaks from later kernels, yet some cards
still show this issue..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/12/14 2:21 PM

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:31:13 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Yeah this annoyance..

What brand of microSD cards are you using?

I'm using a 4GB Kingston Technology cards. Note, I have not expanded the partition to fill the card yet, I just to boot with it after copying the image.

I'll get you the complete boot log if that is still of use.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/12/14 3:08 PM
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:02:55 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
mount the first fat partition, edit "uEnv.txt" remove the "quiet" from
optargs.. save unmount..

Next using a usb-serial convert log the full serial boot log for me.

Robert,

The uEnv.txt file from the FAT partition in this image (attached) does not have optargs defined. Both sections where optargs appears are commented out.

There is a line that says:

systemd=quiet init=/lib/systemd/systemd

I'm not sure if you mean to remove the quiet from this line, or perhaps something else.

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/12/14 3:18 PM
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:08:50 PM UTC-6, Dennis Cote wrote:
There is a line that says:

systemd=quiet init=/lib/systemd/systemd

I'm not sure if you mean to remove the quiet from this line, or perhaps something else.

OK, so I removed the quiet from the systemd definition and rebooted my BBB. It did log a lot more stuff. The complete boot log is attached.

Since you seem t think the problem is SD card specific, I will try again with a different card.

HTH
Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 7:51 AM
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:18:02 PM UTC-6, Dennis Cote wrote:
Since you seem t think the problem is SD card specific, I will try again with a different card.

Using a different 8GB SD card my BBB boots this new image as expected. Hopefully the bootlog from the problem card will help identify the issue.

Dennis Cote
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 8:47 AM
Please take the time to give a detailed look over this image and report any issues to the bug tracker on elinux.org:
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

On booting this new image I noticed a few issues immediately, but I'm not sure if one is by design. The ethernet interface is not setup in this image. Running ifconfig shows no IP address for the ethernet port.

Looking at /etc/network/interfaces I see that the eth0 section is commented out.

I tried adding the following to /etc/network/interfaces but I still have no IP address assigned (as if dhcp wasn't aquirring an address). Commenting out the allow-hotplug line makes no difference.

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Shouldn't the ethernet interface be setup by default? How does one setup dhcp on Debian if not through the interfaces file?

Also, how is one supposed to use the Root Terminal in the LXDE environment? It won't accept the admin password for the debian user, and I don't know if there is a different root password?

Thanks.
Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 8:56 AM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
>> Please take the time to give a detailed look over this image and report
>> any issues to the bug tracker on elinux.org:
>> http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases
>>

> On booting this new image I noticed a few issues immediately, but I'm not
> sure if one is by design. The ethernet interface is not setup in this image.
> Running ifconfig shows no IP address for the ethernet port.
>
> Looking at /etc/network/interfaces I see that the eth0 section is commented
> out.
>
> I tried adding the following to /etc/network/interfaces but I still have no
> IP address assigned (as if dhcp wasn't aquirring an address). Commenting out
> the allow-hotplug line makes no difference.
>
> auto eth0
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Shouldn't the ethernet interface be setup by default? How does one setup
> dhcp on Debian if not through the interfaces file?

The wicd deamon should setup eth0 within 30 seconds on 2nd boot.
(first boot there is a slight delay as the ssh key's are generated).

If you uncomment out the eth0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces
boot time falls from 15seconds to 35ish..

> Also, how is one supposed to use the Root Terminal in the LXDE environment?
> It won't accept the admin password for the debian user, and I don't know if
> there is a different root password?

Nice catch, i need to remove that application from the menu. It was
requested to blank out the root password for ease of use.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 10:08 AM
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:56:05 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
The wicd deamon should setup eth0 within 30 seconds on 2nd boot.
(first boot there is a slight delay as the ssh key's are generated).

I had rebooted many times. I hadn't paid any attention to the wicd program since it seemed to be for WIFI which I am not using.

I had to open the preferences and check the option to always show wired interfaces (I also checked always switch to wired connection when available) before I saw the eth0 connection. I then clicked the connect button and waited until it finished. It still didn't connect, but after I rebooted again, it did connect using dhcp. Since then it has been connecting on each boot.

If you uncomment out the eth0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces
boot time falls from 15seconds to 35ish..

I'm not sure what you mean by this. "unccomment out" is ambiguous. Did you mean "uncomment", or did you mean "comment out".

Is it faster to boot with the eth0 defined in /etc/network/interfaces, or is it faster with the eth0 section commented out? Why? Is it redundant to define eth0 here, and then have wicd also connect eth0; or does having defined in the interafces file cause wicd to skip its redundant setup later?

On an unrelated issue, how do you setup the timezone for the time display on the LXDE desktop? I have set /etc/timezone. I have also used tzselect and added the TZ environment variable to my .profile as suggested in the output of tzselect. It does not appear that my .profile file is being executed though. I have a user bin directory in my /home/debian directory, and it is not being added to the path as it seems it should be by reading the .profile file. I checked and I don't have a .bash_profile or .bash_login file which would prevent .profile from executing. Any ideas?

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 10:30 AM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:56:05 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> The wicd deamon should setup eth0 within 30 seconds on 2nd boot.
>> (first boot there is a slight delay as the ssh key's are generated).
>>

> I had rebooted many times. I hadn't paid any attention to the wicd program
> since it seemed to be for WIFI which I am not using.
>
> I had to open the preferences and check the option to always show wired
> interfaces (I also checked always switch to wired connection when available)
> before I saw the eth0 connection. I then clicked the connect button and
> waited until it finished. It still didn't connect, but after I rebooted
> again, it did connect using dhcp. Since then it has been connecting on each
> boot.
>

>> If you uncomment out the eth0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces
>> boot time falls from 15seconds to 35ish..
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by this. "unccomment out" is ambiguous. Did you
> mean "uncomment", or did you mean "comment out".

The first.

> Is it faster to boot with the eth0 defined in /etc/network/interfaces, or is
> it faster with the eth0 section commented out? Why? Is it redundant to
> define eth0 here, and then have wicd also connect eth0; or does having
> defined in the interafces file cause wicd to skip its redundant setup later?

When, eth0 is defined in /etc/network/interfaces, the login prompt
(serial/video) can be delayed for up to 2 minutes as the system
attempts to get an ip. If a cable is NOT connected it will wait the
full 2 minutes.

So by allowing the wicd/systemd deamon to take care of it, we get the
login prompt must faster

> On an unrelated issue, how do you setup the timezone for the time display on
> the LXDE desktop? I have set /etc/timezone. I have also used tzselect and
> added the TZ environment variable to my .profile as suggested in the output
> of tzselect. It does not appear that my .profile file is being executed
> though. I have a user bin directory in my /home/debian directory, and it is
> not being added to the path as it seems it should be by reading the .profile
> file. I checked and I don't have a .bash_profile or .bash_login file which
> would prevent .profile from executing. Any ideas?

root@beaglebone:/# rm /etc/localtime
root@beaglebone:/# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central /etc/localtime
root@beaglebone:/# date
Thu Mar 13 12:13:06 CDT 2014

Give lxde a minute or two to update..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/13/14 11:04 AM
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata  <--- Doesnt work ?

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 11:49 AM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dpkg-reconfigure tzdata  <--- Doesnt work ?

Yeap, that works too..

Which brings up a fun question.  What default timezone do you guys
want? Or is "utc" generic enough?  My only vote is US/Central as that
is where i'm located..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/13/14 12:41 PM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or is "utc" generic enough?

 It is "utc" generic ! ;-)

72 de
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 12:45 PM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or is "utc" generic enough?
>

>  It is "utc" generic ! ;-)

I know! ;) I was having fun playing with that sentence.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Mike Bell 3/13/14 1:01 PM
On 03/13/2014 02:49 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> dpkg-reconfigure tzdata  <--- Doesnt work ?
> Yeap, that works too..
>
> Which brings up a fun question.  What default timezone do you guys
> want? Or is "utc" generic enough?  My only vote is US/Central as that
> is where i'm located..
>
> Regards,

I'd rather see a system come up "UTC" rather than some other TZ not
specific to me.  I don't have a problem changing it if I have too
though.  UTC would seem to make the most sense.

Mike
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 1:26 PM
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:49:52 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Which brings up a fun question.  What default timezone do you guys
want? Or is "utc" generic enough?

I think UTC would be best, but there should be clear instructions for how to change it.

Most users (like me) are not Linux experts and don't know how to do many of these basic things. I though /etc/timezone seemed like the perfect place to make this change, but it turns out that was wrong. Google led me to tzselect which also looked promising, but again it was wrong.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 1:33 PM
So then, here's a question for you. Where do you want to see those
type of faq's listed?

I can pretty much dump them anywhere, but the hard question is where...
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Bill Traynor 3/13/14 1:45 PM
I thought you were posting all of your stuff to elinux.org?

> Regards,
>
> --
> Robert Nelson
> http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 1:49 PM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Bill Traynor <btra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think UTC would be best, but there should be clear instructions for how to
>>> change it.
>>>
>>> Most users (like me) are not Linux experts and don't know how to do many of
>>> these basic things. I though /etc/timezone seemed like the perfect place to
>>> make this change, but it turns out that was wrong. Google led me to tzselect
>>> which also looked promising, but again it was wrong.
>>
>> So then, here's a question for you. Where do you want to see those
>> type of faq's listed?
>>
>> I can pretty much dump them anywhere, but the hard question is where...
>
> I thought you were posting all of your stuff to elinux.org?

Oh I do. ;)  I'm just hoping to get a fresh perspective and see where
a new user expects it to be today. (As we can never go back to being
"new"..)
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/13/14 2:00 PM
Oh, I see,

It was meant Underwater Technology Conference where you will be
invited. More generic is not possible.

I hope you don't mind:
http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.de/2014/03/wspr-bone-linux-adentures-in-beaglebone.html

73 de
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 2:24 PM
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:33:59 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
So then, here's a question for you. Where do you want to see those
type of faq's listed?

I can pretty much dump them anywhere, but the hard question is where...

I don't know where they should be stored, but there should definitely be links on the beagleboard.org main page. It seems to me that if Debian is going to replace Angstrom, then a link to the Debian release images and FAQs should be put there. Eventually, the Angstrom info could be deprecated, or rather archived and its visibility reduced.

It seems to me that there are currently too many places to go to get the various linux distributions and kernels, and none of them seem to be officially sanctioned as the "standard" release. This leads to unnecessary confusion for new users. Some info on beagleboard.org, some info at circuitco.com, some info at elinux.org, some info at armhf.com, etc., not to mention all the other stuff at ti.com.

The official wiki at http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Software_Resources doesn't even mention this Debian releases (and it should if you want people to test it). The community wiki at http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Community#Debian does list a Debian release, but it is a different, and incompatible, arm EABI version from this new armhf release.

I appreciate all the hard work that people have done to prepare all this information, but it's a little like the wild west when you first start looking around.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Alexander Holler 3/13/14 2:24 PM
motd or the banner for ssh, together with an instruction to use rm to
get rid of the message.

Listing those basic steps there would get rid of thousands question from
people using broken, old and/or outdated instructions belonging to some
broken/old and/or outdated images.

Regards,

Alexander Holler
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 2:32 PM
>> So then, here's a question for you. Where do you want to see those
>> type of faq's listed?
>>
>> I can pretty much dump them anywhere, but the hard question is where...
>

> motd or the banner for ssh, together with an instruction to use rm to get
> rid of the message.

I've been dumping the default username/password + the current ip
address if we get it in time to "/etc/issue" so it shows up on both
the dvi and serial terminal. We could dump an elinux link faq there
too.  Good call on the ssh message, didn't think of that.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Alexander Holler 3/13/14 2:33 PM
And if some gui is supported, open an editor like gvim or similiar to
show those instructions gui-users too (by using some autoexec mechanism
the gui in question offers).

Anything else than in-image-instructions which people will see when they
start exploring the board doesn't help as history has shown.

Alexander Holler

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 2:43 PM
> And if some gui is supported, open an editor like gvim or similiar to show
> those instructions gui-users too (by using some autoexec mechanism the gui
> in question offers).

leafpad is installed so that would be pretty easy, to show web link
for help. xchat2 is even installed, ( i was feeling a little evil and
was temped to have that autoconnect to beagle on #freenode (it
doesn't..))

> Anything else than in-image-instructions which people will see when they
> start exploring the board doesn't help as history has shown.

I agree, I've been there too on irc, when they've been lucky enough to find it..
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/13/14 3:30 PM
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:58:32 AM UTC-7, Jason Kridner wrote:
If you have a BeagleBone Black and are able to try out this image, it might be good to propose fixing any short-falls you see in what is provided on the image.

Every time I boot, or logout of LXDE, I get a touchscreen calibration program that runs. It says 'Touchscreen calibration for Logitech USB Keyboard' (I think it sometimes says Mouse, but I could be mistaken). I am running with a HDMI monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse connected to an external powered hub. I have no touchscreen to calibrate and this wastes about 15 seconds on each logout. What starts this program, and how do I disable it?

Also, the .profile file in the /home/debian directory is not being executed. I don't have a .bash_profile or .bash_login file to prevent it from being loaded. I noticed the default shell is dash rather than bash, at least /bin/sh is linked to /bin/dash, but the dash man page says it should read commands from .profile as well. When I tried the chsh command it says the default login shell is /bin/bash which should definitely read from .profile.

I can tell that .profile is not being executed because I have a personal bin directory at /home/debian/bin. This directory should be added to the PATH by the .profile, but that isn't happening. I have also set a new environment variable in my .profile and it does not appear in the output of the env command. Any ideas why my .profile is not executing?

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Hajo Dezelski 3/13/14 3:45 PM

I second that. I am one of those who just started going west into the wild. And I am still not sure which information are official and which are not. However I am now sure that I didn't grab Robert's kernel. 😠 A pitty, for I would have speared a lot of time.

All the Best
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 3:51 PM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:58:32 AM UTC-7, Jason Kridner wrote:
>>
>> If you have a BeagleBone Black and are able to try out this image, it
>> might be good to propose fixing any short-falls you see in what is provided
>> on the image.
>

> Every time I boot, or logout of LXDE, I get a touchscreen calibration
> program that runs. It says 'Touchscreen calibration for Logitech USB
> Keyboard' (I think it sometimes says Mouse, but I could be mistaken). I am
> running with a HDMI monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse connected to an
> external powered hub. I have no touchscreen to calibrate and this wastes
> about 15 seconds on each logout. What starts this program, and how do I
> disable it?

That's interesting, the lcd/touchscreen detect script is pretty basic,
i'll have to add whitelist for some devices.

Can you pastebin this file for me:

/var/log/xinput_calibrator.pointercal.log

and the output of "xinput" you will have to run it from x11, no serial/ssh..

> Also, the .profile file in the /home/debian directory is not being executed.
> I don't have a .bash_profile or .bash_login file to prevent it from being
> loaded. I noticed the default shell is dash rather than bash, at least
> /bin/sh is linked to /bin/dash, but the dash man page says it should read
> commands from .profile as well. When I tried the chsh command it says the
> default login shell is /bin/bash which should definitely read from .profile.
>
> I can tell that .profile is not being executed because I have a personal bin
> directory at /home/debian/bin. This directory should be added to the PATH by
> the .profile, but that isn't happening. I have also set a new environment
> variable in my .profile and it does not appear in the output of the env
> command. Any ideas why my .profile is not executing?

Yeah,

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

in ~/.profile is all you should need..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/13/14 3:59 PM
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:58:32 AM UTC-7, Jason Kridner wrote:
>>>
>>> If you have a BeagleBone Black and are able to try out this image, it
>>> might be good to propose fixing any short-falls you see in what is provided
>>> on the image.
>>

>> Every time I boot, or logout of LXDE, I get a touchscreen calibration
>> program that runs. It says 'Touchscreen calibration for Logitech USB
>> Keyboard' (I think it sometimes says Mouse, but I could be mistaken). I am
>> running with a HDMI monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse connected to an
>> external powered hub. I have no touchscreen to calibrate and this wastes
>> about 15 seconds on each logout. What starts this program, and how do I
>> disable it?

PS: what model/etc is it? lsusb?  Encase I need to go pick one up.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test iustini...@gmail.com 3/14/14 4:46 AM
Robert, thanks for your work.

Is there a guide somewhere to build or a way to download a absolute minimal image. Something with only ssh, apt and full hardware initialization on it and nothing else. That would be a good base for couple of headless projects I am thinking about.

When I am talking about HW initialization I am only thinking about network and hwrng

Right now I am using this:

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img.xz

and I will continue to use it as it is. But if you plan to stop developing those images I need to start thinking about another way to get a headless emmc debian image working.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 5:57 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM,  <iustini...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, thanks for your work.
>
> Is there a guide somewhere to build or a way to download a absolute minimal
> image. Something with only ssh, apt and full hardware initialization on it
> and nothing else. That would be a good base for couple of headless projects
> I am thinking about.
>
> When I am talking about HW initialization I am only thinking about network
> and hwrng
>
> Right now I am using this:
>
> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img.xz
>
> and I will continue to use it as it is. But if you plan to stop developing
> those images I need to start thinking about another way to get a headless
> emmc debian image working.

No worries, I have no plans to discontinue those monthly "minimal"
images. I have a lot of users using them. Plus they support older
boards like the beagle.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Steve French 3/14/14 7:00 AM
Robert,
Just my $0.02 about *where* info should be stored:   I completely agree about Dennis' "Wild West" comment.  When I first started with the BBB back in Sep2013 all 5 of the various websites that Dennis referenced seemed to contradict each other.  The "official" image was outdated and the most recent images were hidden away and you almost needed a "secret knock" to find them.  I completely understand that everything has been in a massive state of flux, especially since all of the changes with the way Device Tree was handled, etc, etc.  It seems to me, though, that out of the 5 websites that Dennis referenced, perhaps 4 of them should say "Things are in a state of massive flux right now.... Instead of us updating 5 websites all the time, Please check this *one* website for the most up-to-date info."  Then on the *1* website which is "continuously updated" it could say:  Here is the most recent "stable" official image and here is the most recent "development" official image.  It is strange having 5 different websites to have to check when you are a Newbie...and then Gerald says "why didnt you check 'the' website".

Thx!  I respect and appreciate all the work you do!!  These are challenging times!
-frenchy

--
Respectfully,
Steve French

President, Volt Vision
www.voltvision.com

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 7:54 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Steve French of Volt Vision
<voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
> Just my $0.02 about *where* info should be stored:   I completely agree
> about Dennis' "Wild West" comment.  When I first started with the BBB back
> in Sep2013 all 5 of the various websites that Dennis referenced seemed to
> contradict each other.  The "official" image was outdated and the most
> recent images were hidden away and you almost needed a "secret knock" to
> find them.  I completely understand that everything has been in a massive
> state of flux, especially since all of the changes with the way Device Tree
> was handled, etc, etc.  It seems to me, though, that out of the 5 websites
> that Dennis referenced, perhaps 4 of them should say "Things are in a state
> of massive flux right now.... Instead of us updating 5 websites all the
> time, Please check this *one* website for the most up-to-date info."  Then
> on the *1* website which is "continuously updated" it could say:  Here is
> the most recent "stable" official image and here is the most recent
> "development" official image.  It is strange having 5 different websites to
> have to check when you are a Newbie...and then Gerald says "why didnt you
> check 'the' website".
>
> Thx!  I respect and appreciate all the work you do!!  These are challenging
> times!
> -frenchy

Hi Steve,

I've started an offical page at:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

My plan is to hint at this page in both the serial/dvi terminal along
with an ssh message on the default image.

I'll try to get the "more info" links from here
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

also linked to that page.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 7:55 AM
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:51:53 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Can you pastebin this file for me:

/var/log/xinput_calibrator.pointercal.log

and the output of "xinput" you will have to run it from x11, no serial/ssh..

Here you go:

xinput_calibrator.log pastebin.com/EZ4uSu4W

Yeah,

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

in ~/.profile is all you should need..

You are missing my point. These commands are already in the default .profile created for the debian user. See the pastebin.com/kjDXbEpJ for a copy of mine. I added the TZ environment variable at the end.

ls ~ shows my bin directory exists
env | grep HOME shows the HOME variable as /home/debian
env | grep PATH shows the PATH as /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

The .profile should be adding /home/debian/bin to the path, but it is not. It is also not adding the TZ variable to the environment.

BTW, we could probably remove the two games directories from the default PATH as well. I don't think many users will be using BBB for gaming.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Mike Bell 3/14/14 8:21 AM
On 03/14/2014 10:55 AM, Dennis Cote wrote:

> You are missing my point. These commands are already in the default
> .profile created for the debian user. See the pastebin.com/kjDXbEpJ
> for a copy of mine. I added the TZ environment variable at the end.
>
> ls ~ shows my bin directory exists
> env | grep HOME shows the HOME variable as /home/debian
> env | grep PATH shows the PATH as
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
>
> The .profile should be adding /home/debian/bin to the path, but it is
> not. It is also not adding the TZ variable to the environment.

Is this shell running within X?  If so .profile isn't sourced as it's
not run as login shell.  I don't quite follow why you want to set the TZ
variable from the user environment either.  It's all handled at a system
level by default.

No need to set the variable then export it either, just do it all in one go.

export TZ="Whatever"

Also less typing to just "echo" variables....

echo $HOME $PATH

Really no need for env and grep.

Mike
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 8:26 AM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 8:54:08 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
I've started an offical page at:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to nitpick, but this new "official" page is wrong right out of the gate.

It says it is "about running an ARM EABI Debian" distribution. The Debian page at https://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort says this is different than the newer armhf ABI which I believe is the basis for your images. Getting this kind of basic stuff correct is important.

Also, the description of how to set the timezone to your local timezone so that the clock displays local wall clock time is terse to point of extreme. It is not at all clear what the listed commands do, or why you might want to use them.

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 8:27 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:51:53 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> Can you pastebin this file for me:
>>
>> /var/log/xinput_calibrator.pointercal.log
>>
>> and the output of "xinput" you will have to run it from x11, no
>> serial/ssh..
>>

> Here you go:
>
> xinput_calibrator.log pastebin.com/EZ4uSu4W
> xinput.txt pastebin.com/ZBDXGkt3
> lsusb.txt pastebin.com/0UthnPqZ

I don't see anything obvious, so I ordered it up..

>> Yeah,
>>
>> export PATH=$PATH:~/bin
>>
>> in ~/.profile is all you should need..
>

> You are missing my point. These commands are already in the default .profile
> created for the debian user. See the pastebin.com/kjDXbEpJ for a copy of
> mine. I added the TZ environment variable at the end.
>
> ls ~ shows my bin directory exists
> env | grep HOME shows the HOME variable as /home/debian
> env | grep PATH shows the PATH as
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
>
> The .profile should be adding /home/debian/bin to the path, but it is not.

It works here:

debian@beaglebone:~/bin$ nano simple.c
debian@beaglebone:~/bin$ gcc -Wall simple.c -o simple
debian@beaglebone:~/bin$ cd ..
debian@beaglebone:~$ which simple
/home/debian/bin/simple
debian@beaglebone:~$ simple
Simple Program

One thing i can do is just to add the directory by default in the image.

debian@beaglebone:~$ echo $PATH
/home/debian/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

> It is also not adding the TZ variable to the environment.

Just use:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

or:

echo "Europe/Zurich" > /etc/timezone
dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata

> BTW, we could probably remove the two games directories from the default
> PATH as well. I don't think many users will be using BBB for gaming.

The default /etc/profile sets the gaming directories up by default. So
i opted to just leave them.

/usr/local/games:/usr/games

The only thing i've done there, is to tweak the path to also include
the root "sbin" directories too for the normal user..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 8:34 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Friday, March 14, 2014 8:54:08 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> I've started an offical page at:
>>
>> http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> I'm sorry to nitpick, but this new "official" page is wrong right out of the
> gate.

No problem, i just copied it from my other Debian page. ;)

> It says it is "about running an ARM EABI Debian" distribution. The Debian
> page at https://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort says this is different than the
> newer armhf ABI which I believe is the basis for your images. Getting this
> kind of basic stuff correct is important.

Well, technically "armhf" is still "EABI", but over "armel" it has
hard floating point enabled by default.

> Also, the description of how to set the timezone to your local timezone so
> that the clock displays local wall clock time is terse to point of extreme.
> It is not at all clear what the listed commands do, or why you might want to
> use them.

I'll fix those up, I'm just merging/pushing all my notes/fixes/etc
from yesterday right now. ;)
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 8:44 AM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:21:31 AM UTC-6, Mike Bell wrote:
Is this shell running within X?  If so .profile isn't sourced as it's
not run as login shell.

Ah ha... there is the nugget of truth I was looking for. Yes, this is the LXTerminal under LXDE.

I checked and the .profile *is* executed for my serial console.

So how does one get the same path for the LXTerminal as you get using a serial terminal? Also, is an ssh terminal a login shell, or is like the X terminal?

I don't quite follow why you want to set the TZ
variable from the user environment either.  It's all handled at a system
level by default.
No need to set the variable then export it either, just do it all in one go.

export TZ="Whatever"

I know that now, but yesterday when I was trying to get the timezone set correctly I ran the tzselect command (which seemed logical). This is the output of that command:

The following information has been given:

Canada
Mountain Time - Alberta, east British Columbia & west Saskatchewan

Therefore TZ='America/Edmonton' will be used.
Local time is now:Fri Mar 14 09:31:43 MDT 2014.
Universal Time is now:Fri Mar 14 15:31:43 UTC 2014.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1

You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
TZ='America/Edmonton'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in again.

Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
America/Edmonton

So I did as it suggested. I added this line to my .profile and logged out and in. This again seemed logical. I left it in as a simple test of whether or not my .profile was executed. I will remove it now.

Also less typing to just "echo" variables....

echo $HOME $PATH

Really no need for env and grep.

Yes, thanks for the tip. I started by using env to dump my entire environment, and then just progressed to using grep to filter the dump, while looking into why the .profile wasn't being executed.

Thanks again for the info.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 8:56 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:21:31 AM UTC-6, Mike Bell wrote:
>>
>> Is this shell running within X?  If so .profile isn't sourced as it's
>> not run as login shell.
>

> Ah ha... there is the nugget of truth I was looking for. Yes, this is the
> LXTerminal under LXDE.
>
> I checked and the .profile *is* executed for my serial console.
>
> So how does one get the same path for the LXTerminal as you get using a
> serial terminal? Also, is an ssh terminal a login shell, or is like the X
> terminal?

Ahh, I've been doing it over serial/ssh..

For lxterminal (which doesn't reference .profile according to lots of
bug reports). It works if i add:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

into .bashrc

If there is no objections i'll probably set that up by default..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 9:25 AM
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:51:53 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> Can you pastebin this file for me:
>>
>> /var/log/xinput_calibrator.pointercal.log
>>
>> and the output of "xinput" you will have to run it from x11, no
>> serial/ssh..
>>

> Here you go:
>
> xinput_calibrator.log pastebin.com/EZ4uSu4W
> xinput.txt pastebin.com/ZBDXGkt3
> lsusb.txt pastebin.com/0UthnPqZ

btw, as a workaround till i can debug it with the same hardware, just run:

sudo sed -i -e 's:display-setup-script=:#display-setup-script:g'
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

And it'll stop displaying the calibrator on bootup.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 10:21 AM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:56:45 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
It works if i add:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

into .bashrc

If there is no objections i'll probably set that up by default..

Will this add the user's bin directory to the path twice when using a serial console since .bashrc is sourced from the existing .profile?

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 10:53 AM
Yeap it does..

debian@beaglebone:~$ echo $PATH
/home/debian/bin:/home/debian/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

What gets sourced first? i can patch it to check..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 11:56 AM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 11:53:15 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Yeap it does..

debian@beaglebone:~$ echo $PATH
/home/debian/bin:/home/debian/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

What gets sourced first? i can patch it to check..

I moved that section from my .profile to .bashrc since .profile will source .bashrc if it exists. So a login shell will source .profile, which will source .bashrc and add the path. A non login shell will source .bashrc directly and add the path. This seems to work for me.

I'm not sure what happens for script that use #!/bin/sh since that runs dash instead of bash. The dash docs say it sources .profile on login shells so that should be OK, but for non login shells it says it looks in the ENV environment variable for the name of a file to execute. There is no such variable defined currently so it does nothing.

Perhaps these commands should be put in a .shinit file and then set ENV=$HOME/.shint in the .profile file to take card of setting it for login shells, and have the .bashrc source this .shinit file for non login shells.

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 12:04 PM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 10:25:42 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
btw, as a workaround till i can debug it with the same hardware, just run:

sudo sed -i -e 's:display-setup-script=:#display-setup-script:g'
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

And it'll stop displaying the calibrator on bootup.

FYI, commenting out the display-setup-script line does not take effect until after you reboot.

I no longer have the calibration screen on startup or logout.

Thanks.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/14/14 1:08 PM
Here is a better fix:

sudo sed -i -e 's:Exec=lxterminal:Exec=lxterminal -l -e bash:g'
/usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/14/14 1:56 PM
Robert, your timezone is fine for me. I am actually AZ time myself, but really simple to change via dpkg-reconfigure tzdata.

Also, as for how to change some default stuff, perhaps have a web page ( html file, or maybe even a node.js thing to make it more dynamic ? )

Dennis, just so you know, you should be able to google "debian" + whatever keyword you need to know something about to find an answer. We're talking basic Linux / Debian stuff here. For example.

google -> howto change debian timezone, and you will very likely find what i asked about last night "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata".

Anyway, dont feel as though I am putting you down by saying  this. quite the contrary actually. As I have been using Debian since  the 90's and have to google many things. Especially now considering I really want to look into using systemmd.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/14/14 2:12 PM
Sorry, I felt i was not clear in my last post . . .

Also, as for how to change some default stuff, perhaps have a web page ( html file, or maybe even a node.js thing to make it more dynamic ? )

What I mean by the above, is have an information web page on how to do various things, like how to set time zone etc. Perhaps as part of the getting started page thats already on the BBB.

Even though I think Debian is one of the better distro's out there because of the fact you can simply google the answer to your questions( just one aspect actually ) I feel that having a web page linked to from the getting started page on how to change all teh default basic stuff would be super helpful for new users.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 2:40 PM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 2:08:00 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Here is a better fix:

sudo sed -i -e 's:Exec=lxterminal:Exec=lxterminal -l -e bash:g'
/usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop

As far as I can tell by using ps - p $$, lxterminal is already running bash, so adding -e bash shouldn't change anything. Adding the -l make it a login shell, so it sources /etc/profile and then .profile, which sources .bashrc if it exists.

Without this change lxterminal runs bash as a non login shell so it sources /etc/bash.bashrc and then .bashrc instead. The /etc/bash.bashrc file setups the command prompt.

What I don't understand is why an lxterminal command with no options starts a bash shell, but an lxterminal -l command starts a /bin/sh shell which is actually a dash shell. You end up with no command prompt because it doesn't run /etc/bash.bashrc. There are probably other differences. This is why you added the -e bash option.

Anyway this does seem like a better fix, though anything that runs /bin/sh will still have a different PATH without the user bin directory.

Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/14/14 2:46 PM
dpkg-reconfigure dash -> select no.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/14/14 3:16 PM
On Friday, March 14, 2014 2:56:50 PM UTC-6, William Hermans wrote:
Dennis, just so you know, you should be able to google "debian" + whatever keyword you need to know something about to find an answer. We're talking basic Linux / Debian stuff here. For example.

google -> howto change debian timezone, and you will very likely find what i asked about last night "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata".

I did that and ended up at http://www.debian-administration.org/article/213/Changing_the_timezone_of_your_Debian_system which suggested the tzselect command (which in turn suggested adding a TZ environment variable, which in turn led to me seeing that my .profile wasn't being executed, etc).

I also saw the page at https://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges but the text at the top of that page and the titles of the other sections made it seem more about checking and adapting the system to changes in the dates of daylight saving etc. I just wanted to set my timezone. The section where "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" is mentioned has the title "Check Configured Timezone", and the text of the command itself didn't lead me to conclude it would change my timezone. Had I read in more detail I would have seem what it did, but I was skimming for something that said "this is how to change your timezone" as on the page above.

Anyway, dont feel as though I am putting you down by saying  this. quite the contrary actually.

No problem, no offence taken. I just want to point out that not all google searches (or searchers) lead to the best answer.

Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test William Hermans 3/14/14 10:42 PM
I have very seldom run into a situation where google did not give me a correct answer. Sometimes the first hit is not always right / succinct either. It takes experience googling to know what to look for, and this does not always work either.

Anyway, answers linked on debian.org, and superuser are typically succinct and correct. Also, as I had not reconfigured time zone, and dash before, or in a while i did google searches on these myself not but a few months ago.

Regardless, this is all part of the learning process for everyone.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/20/14 7:49 AM
>> Here you go:
>>
>> xinput_calibrator.log pastebin.com/EZ4uSu4W
>> xinput.txt pastebin.com/ZBDXGkt3
>> lsusb.txt pastebin.com/0UthnPqZ

Okay, quick update on this as i have the same K120 keyboard.  I'm
seeing this same issue on 3.8/3.13/3.14 so I just blacklisted this
device.

Just run:

cd /opt/scripts
git pull

to update the xinput script..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/20/14 10:16 AM
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:49:22 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Okay, quick update on this as i have the same K120 keyboard.  I'm
seeing this same issue on 3.8/3.13/3.14 so I just blacklisted this
device.

Just run:

cd /opt/scripts
git pull

to update the xinput script..

Robert,

I did this update and then undid the workaround (i.e. I uncommented the display-setup-script line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf).

Now I no longer get the calibration screen on startup and logout of LXDE, however I lose my mouse pointer when I logout. The mouse pointer works on reboot, but if I logout of LXDE I have no visible pointer on the login screen or in LXDE after I log back in. The mouse does work and I can see where it is because some items like the LXDE menu icons highlight when I hover the mouse over them, but there is no onscreen pointer visible. Clicking the mouse buttons work as expected when I can figure out where it is pointing.

Is there anything else I can do to help pinpoint the problem?

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/20/14 10:29 AM
Previously we were making the mouse pointer viable by a custom xorg.conf.

However it works better if you add it via xset/xsetroot:

root@beaglebone:~# cat /home/debian/.xsessionrc
#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms
xset s off
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

and just remove the  [Option          "SWCursor"      "true"] line
from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

So for me, right now the mouse cursor works between logout/logins.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/20/14 10:47 AM
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:29:10 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
However it works better if you add it via xset/xsetroot:

root@beaglebone:~# cat /home/debian/.xsessionrc
#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms
xset s off
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

and just remove the  [Option          "SWCursor"      "true"] line
from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Robert,

My .xsessionrc file looks identical to yours, and I did not have "SWCursor" anywhere in my xorg.conf file, so there was nothing to remove.

My mouse pointer definitely becomes invisible when I logout.

Any other ideas?
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/20/14 10:57 AM
okay, so when i switch back to v3.8, i see this now too.. Weird, as
v3.13.x it works.  Might just have to go back to the xorg.conf
workaround.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/20/14 11:00 AM
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:47:15 AM UTC-6, Dennis Cote wrote:
My mouse pointer definitely becomes invisible when I logout.

Any other ideas?

Robert,

I have done some more testing. I have discovered that I do have a mouse pointer on the login screen after the first logout after a reboot, and I have a mouse pointer when I log in again. If I log out again, I have no visible mouse pointer on the login screen, and no mouse pointer after I log back in. It remains the same on subsequent logout/logins until I reboot again. Then I can logout and back in one more time before I lose my mouse pointer.

Any ideas?
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/20/14 11:57 AM
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:57:11 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
Might just have to go back to the xorg.conf
workaround.

Robert,

More test results.

I googled and found many references to adding 'Option "HWCursor" "off"' to the device section of xorg.conf as a fix for the disappearing mouse cursor issue in Debian/Ubuntu/Mint etc. These all seemed to be for PC based systems thought. I tried it and it did not work. I lost my mouse cursor on every logout.

I added the line you suggested to remove earlier 'Option "SWCursor" "true"' to the device section of my xorg.conf. This appears to have fixed the problem. I can logout and back in many times in a row, and haven't lost my mouse cursor since.

HTH
Dennis Cote
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/20/14 12:23 PM
OH Fun! ;)

I've had reports that xorg.conf change was causing lockup's when
moving icons around, hence we changed it to the .xsessonrc workaround
in the last week.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 3/20/14 3:16 PM
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:23:24 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
OH Fun! ;)

I've had reports that xorg.conf change was causing lockup's when
moving icons around, hence we changed it to the .xsessonrc workaround
in the last week.

Robert,

I have just noticed now that my BBB is no longer blanking the HDMI output after a period of inactivity.

Prior to these changes the display would blank after some period of inactivity, and I would have to move my mouse to get it to start sending video again. It has been sitting unused for an hour or more now (there is an ssh session open), and it has not blanked the screen.

I googled Debian screen blanking and discovered what I think your .xsessionrc commands are doing.

xset s off         # don't activate screensaver
xset -dpms         # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s noblank     # don't blank the video device
I suspect you have disabled the DPMS features that were shutting down the HDMI video output.

I don't need a screen saver, but I would like the video to blank after a while. So I executed an xset +dpms command and then an xset q to check the current settings and verify that DPMS was enabled. With DPMS enabled I waited for 600 seconds (10 minutes), and my display blanked as I wanted.

I see that many people are searching for a way to disable screen blanking, so I think this is one of those things that should be added to your FAQ for simple ways to accomplish basic setup changes. I think the display should blank by default out of the box both for the energy savings (135,000 BBB boards could be preventing their monitors from going to low power mode) and to provide a similar experience to what one gets using a Mac or PC. The FAQ should explain how to change it, both to blank or not blank.

Is there any other reason you are disabling DPMS?
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Ramon Mendes 3/23/14 8:36 PM
How can I make the microSD image to not copy the image to the eMMC of my Beaglebone Black?

That is, by default, when I insert the SD card with this Debian image, and then power the BBB, it will automatically start flashing the Debian image to the BBB internal disk (eMMC). I notice it because after some time the 4 leds stay lit, meaning it has completed the process.
I don't want it to happen because I want to use Debian directly from the bootable SD card, and keep the eMMC intact.

(probably I just need to delete the script that flashes the image to the eMMC, but where is it?)

Em quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 19h51min19s UTC-3, Jason Kridner escreveu:
[...]

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/23/14 8:46 PM

On Mar 23, 2014 10:36 PM, "Ramon Mendes" <midiw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I make the microSD image to not copy the image to the eMMC of my Beaglebone Black?
>
> That is, by default, when I insert the SD card with this Debian image, and then power the BBB, it will automatically start flashing the Debian image to the BBB internal disk (eMMC). I notice it because after some time the 4 leds stay lit, meaning it has completed the process.
> I don't want it to happen because I want to use Debian directly from the bootable SD card, and keep the eMMC intact.
>
> (probably I just need to delete the script that flashes the image to the eMMC, but where is it?)

That's why there are two separate downloads. To convert the flasher image to not flash. Just remove the flash-emmc text file from the fat partition.

> [...]
>>
>> This is just a quick intro to some of the experience and what we are focused on fine tuning. Please take the time to check it out and let us know about your experience. It should be known that Koen has continued to advance the state of the Angstrom Distributions images he provides and those continue to serve as a more flexible base for building truly custom Linux distributions needed by many embedded systems developers. However, as our user base has grown, getting a Debian image that feels a bit more familiar to Linux novices is something for which I've heard tremendous demand. If feedback from the community is positive, there will be a switch as to what distribution comes loaded in the eMMC flash on the boards. I hope you enjoy it!

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 3/24/14 10:21 PM
I really like the 2014-03-19 image. It solves most of the problems I was having with Ubuntu and Angstrom. I am now able to connect wirelessly to WPA secured networks using Adafruit's dongle while tethered via a USB cable! This will make developing and debugging an autonomous robot that uses computer vision infinitely easier.

I do have a few ideas for making the image slightly better.

First, any chance you can install xrdp? This would allow my students to remote into the BeagleBone without having to access the Internet?

Second, if I remember correctly it looks like the version designed to run from the SD card lists wlan0 within Wicd, but the eMMC version does not. IAny chance you can list wlan0 within Wicd for both versions?

Third, I had to input the passphrase into Wicd, generate the PSK using wpa_passphrase, and then add the PSK into Wicd. Not sure why. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I suspect it's some sort of glitch with Wicd.
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 3/25/14 10:12 PM
Sad to say that I had my wifi dongle working yesterday, but despite hours of effort today, I was unable to get it working.
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Mark A. Yoder 3/27/14 7:25 AM
I see a 2014-03-26 image has appeared.  Unfortunately when I flash [1] and boot from it, it appears to never leave u-boot.  Just 3 LEDs light and it just hangs.

I try this on two SD cards and both had the same behavior.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/27/14 8:56 AM
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Mark A. Yoder <mark.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see a 2014-03-26 image has appeared.  Unfortunately when I flash [1] and
> boot from it, it appears to never leave u-boot.  Just 3 LEDs light and it
> just hangs.

Humm, that means "uenvcmd" wasn't defined in uEnv.txt.. I wonder how
that happened (1).  Does it help if you hold down the boot button?
What do you have flashed to the eMMC? (i have it setup to be
compatible with atleast Angstrom's 2013.06.20 u-boot)

1: https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/target/boot/beagleboard.org.txt#L45

> I try this on two SD cards and both had the same behavior.
>
> --Mark
>
> [1]
> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-03-26/bone-debian-7.4-2014-03-26-2gb.img.xz

Testing now too..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/27/14 9:22 AM
Okay tested, and i see the issue.. To save bandwidth i mirror the
kernel *.deb locally, which runs/updates at midnight, so the kernel
never got installed.  So i just need to add that error condition and
just rerun the script again..

Thanks for testing, sorry for the error!

*************************
U-Boot SPL 2014.04-rc2-00015-g99288ca (Mar 12 2014 - 09:49:41)
reading args
spl_load_image_fat_os: error reading image args, err - -1
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2014.04-rc2-00015-g99288ca (Mar 12 2014 - 09:49:41)

I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  0 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

Net:   <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
cpsw, usb_ether
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
mmc0 is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
SD/MMC found on device 0
reading uEnv.txt
1390 bytes read in 5 ms (271.5 KiB/s)
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
Loaded environment from uEnv.txt
Importing environment from mmc ...
Checking if uenvcmd is set ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uenvcmd ...
reading zImage
** Unable to read file zImage **
reading initrd.img
** Unable to read file initrd.img **
reading /dtbs/am335x-boneblack.dtb
** Unable to read file /dtbs/am335x-boneblack.dtb **
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!

uenvcmd was not defined in uEnv.txt ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 0
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 0
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
mmc1(part 0) is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
SD/MMC found on device 1
** No partition table - mmc 1 **
Checking if uenvcmd is set ...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uenvcmd ...
** No partition table - mmc 1 **
** No partition table - mmc 1 **
** No partition table - mmc 1 **
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!

uenvcmd was not defined in uEnv.txt ...
Booting from nand ...

no devices available

no devices available
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!
U-Boot#
************
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Mark A. Yoder 3/27/14 9:24 AM
Thanks Robert.  I'll watch for the update.

--Mark
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/27/14 1:18 PM
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Mark A. Yoder <mark.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robert.  I'll watch for the update.

Just pushed out & tested locally:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-03-27
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Mark A. Yoder 3/27/14 1:54 PM
It's working.  Thanks!

--Mark
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 3/27/14 10:56 PM
I downloaded and tested the March 27th image today. Thanks for including xrdp-it made testing wifi go much faster. Here's what I found.
  • I was able to connect to a WPA2 secured network at the school where I teach
  • I was unable to connect to my cell phone when unsecured (Android portable wifi hotspot)
  • I was able to connect to my cell phone if I secured the connection (WPA2 PSK)
  • I was unable to connect to a WPA2 secured network at home
  • One of my students was able to connect to the WPA2 secured school network, another was unable to connect
  • The students that was unable to connect to the school network was also unable to connect to my cell phone (secured as well-didn't try unsecured)
  • I was able to create an ad-hoc network (at least I think it did because it showed up in Wicd)

We were all using the tiny Adafruit dongles and tethered to BeagleBones via USB. Whenever we were unable to connect, we could see the connection-it just timed out when trying to get an IP (unsecured networks) or authenticating (secured network). Any ideas?

I also tried setting up an ad-hoc network. It showed up within Wicd, but I wasn't able to detect it with a computer, my Android cell phone, or an iPhone. Is ad-hoc working for anybody else?

Given the inconsistency, I'm guessing the problem is hardware (the dongle), so I ordered a few of the Netgear WNA1100 dongles. Should have them in a couple of weeks.

Also, looks like the eMMC version doesn't have Wicd functioning out of the box.

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Steve French 3/28/14 7:04 AM
Robert,
Thanks for the flurry of updated Debian images for testing (3/4, 3/19, 3/27).  I am happily trying the different images, but when I download the image and "start from scratch" it takes me several hours to get back to the point where I can use my system again.  I use Open Lighting Architecture and it takes me about 4+hours to do everything necessary to compile it from source.  Could I update to your newest distros somehow by running a script (Mar4 -> Mar19 -> Mar27)? ... or is it necessary to wipe everything out and reflash the image from scratch?  Some of my BBBs I flash the eMMC and some of them I boot directly from the uSD.  Thx!! (and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere).

--
Respectfully,
Steve French

President, Volt Vision
www.voltvision.com

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/28/14 7:15 AM
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Steve French of Volt Vision
<voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
> Thanks for the flurry of updated Debian images for testing (3/4, 3/19,
> 3/27).  I am happily trying the different images, but when I download the
> image and "start from scratch" it takes me several hours to get back to the
> point where I can use my system again.  I use Open Lighting Architecture and
> it takes me about 4+hours to do everything necessary to compile it from
> source.  Could I update to your newest distros somehow by running a script
> (Mar4 -> Mar19 -> Mar27)? ... or is it necessary to wipe everything out and
> reflash the image from scratch?  Some of my BBBs I flash the eMMC and some
> of them I boot directly from the uSD.  Thx!! (and sorry if this has already
> been answered somewhere).

cd /opt/scripts/fixes
git pull

sudo ./debian-2014-03-04-to-2014-03-19.sh
sudo ./debian-2014-03-19-to-2014-03-27.sh

The only thing it doesn't do is update the bootloader from v2013.10 in
2014-03-04 to v2014.04-rc in 2014-03-19+

For that:

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
sudo ./update_bootloader.sh
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 3/28/14 7:16 AM
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Steve French of Volt Vision
> <voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>> Thanks for the flurry of updated Debian images for testing (3/4, 3/19,
>> 3/27).  I am happily trying the different images, but when I download the
>> image and "start from scratch" it takes me several hours to get back to the
>> point where I can use my system again.  I use Open Lighting Architecture and
>> it takes me about 4+hours to do everything necessary to compile it from
>> source.  Could I update to your newest distros somehow by running a script
>> (Mar4 -> Mar19 -> Mar27)? ... or is it necessary to wipe everything out and
>> reflash the image from scratch?  Some of my BBBs I flash the eMMC and some
>> of them I boot directly from the uSD.  Thx!! (and sorry if this has already
>> been answered somewhere).
>
> cd /opt/scripts/fixes
> git pull
>
> sudo ./debian-2014-03-04-to-2014-03-19.sh
> sudo ./debian-2014-03-19-to-2014-03-27.sh

PS: you can see to review the change here:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/tree/master/fixes
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Charles Steinkuehler 3/28/14 7:25 AM
On 3/28/2014 9:15 AM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Steve French of Volt Vision
> <voltv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>> Thanks for the flurry of updated Debian images for testing (3/4, 3/19,
>> 3/27).  I am happily trying the different images, but when I download the
>> image and "start from scratch" it takes me several hours to get back to the
>> point where I can use my system again.  I use Open Lighting Architecture and
>> it takes me about 4+hours to do everything necessary to compile it from
>> source.  Could I update to your newest distros somehow by running a script
>> (Mar4 -> Mar19 -> Mar27)? ... or is it necessary to wipe everything out and
>> reflash the image from scratch?  Some of my BBBs I flash the eMMC and some
>> of them I boot directly from the uSD.  Thx!! (and sorry if this has already
>> been answered somewhere).
>
> cd /opt/scripts/fixes
> git pull
>
> sudo ./debian-2014-03-04-to-2014-03-19.sh
> sudo ./debian-2014-03-19-to-2014-03-27.sh

Another option is to put your lighting code on a network file share, or
you can rsync the build directory to a server somewhere.  You'll
probably have to re-run some of the build steps (like the install part)
when switching to a clean OS, but it ought to take much less than 4
hours to setup from scratch, and you shouldn't have to actually
recompile anything (which is typically _slow_ on the BBB).

I worked this way when getting LinuxCNC running on the BBB.  I mounted a
home directory via nfs from a remote server, and I was able to swap
between various boards and OS installs while keeping a consistent
development environment.  This also let me use some tools running on
full-blown Linux and Windows systems that would have been a bit heavy
for the BBB (my regular text editor, some graphical git utilities, etc).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 3/31/14 10:54 PM
My BeagleBone part of a primitive robot with a breadboard strapped to the top, and servo motors underneath. The wifi dongle was between both. For this reason, I dug out my unpowered USB hub and used it as an extender to get the wifi dong'e away from all the metal. I powered the beagle bone with an external power supply and remoted into it via usb. I was able to get the Adafruit dongle to connect to my secured home network 1 out of three times this time around as well as a secured hotspot hosted by my phone. This was better than the netgrear wna1100 which was only able to connect to the secured hotspot (not my regular home network). Neither was able to connect to an unsecured hotspot. Attempts to connect via wifi also seem to cause the BeagleBone to freeze up frequently. Any ideas?

Also, it would be really handy if the default user was root (like on Angstrom) so that I didn't have to type sudo su before most terminal commands. This would also allow me to open files more easily. I'm guessing this would also allow the user to reboot and shutdown the beaglebone, options which are missing from LXDE at this point, and which cannot be execute from the command line using the debian user.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 4/1/14 6:34 AM
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM,  <mbba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My BeagleBone part of a primitive robot with a breadboard strapped to the
> top, and servo motors underneath. The wifi dongle was between both. For this
> reason, I dug out my unpowered USB hub and used it as an extender to get the
> wifi dong'e away from all the metal. I powered the beagle bone with an
> external power supply and remoted into it via usb. I was able to get the
> Adafruit dongle to connect to my secured home network 1 out of three times
> this time around as well as a secured hotspot hosted by my phone. This was
> better than the netgrear wna1100 which was only able to connect to the
> secured hotspot (not my regular home network). Neither was able to connect
> to an unsecured hotspot. Attempts to connect via wifi also seem to cause the
> BeagleBone to freeze up frequently. Any ideas?

The is problem with the default 3.8 kernel, if your not using any
cape's switch to the 3.13.x based kernel

cd /opt/script/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --beta-kernel

> Also, it would be really handy if the default user was root (like on
> Angstrom) so that I didn't have to type sudo su before most terminal
> commands. This would also allow me to open files more easily. I'm guessing
> this would also allow the user to reboot and shutdown the beaglebone,
> options which are missing from LXDE at this point, and which cannot be
> execute from the command line using the debian user.

There is a default root user (no password like Angstrom) we just don't
log into that user via lxde.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 4/1/14 11:09 PM
What is the problem with the default kernel? That wifi doesn't work good in general, that it doesn't connect to unsecured networks, that Wicd is buggy and will freeze up the BeagleBone? I went ahead and updated the kernel. I am now able to connect to secured and unsecured networks using the Adafruit dongle. I had limited success with the netgear wna1100 which definitely does NOW work better than the Adafruit dongle. The UWN200 also came in the mail today, but the BeagleBone was unable to detect it. Is it supposed to run out of the box on the newer images, or do I have to implement some sort of fix? The adafruit dongle shows up as wlan0, and the netgear shows up as wlan1. I read that the uwn200 is supposed to show up as ra0, but when I switch wicd accordingly, it still doesn't detect the dongle, and there's no wifi when I run ifconfig.

Also, is there any way to log into lxde using the root user? That would save me and my students some typing and other problems (such as opening certain files with leafpad, etc.).

Again, thanks for all the work you're putting into this image. You're ironing out a lot of the kinds that my students have been stumbling over.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 4/2/14 2:33 PM
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:34:37 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
The is problem with the default 3.8 kernel, if your not using any
cape's switch to the 3.13.x based kernel

cd /opt/script/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --beta-kernel

I just thought others might want to know that switching to the 3.13.6-bone8 kernel also changes the resolution of the HDMI display output from 720p (i.e. 1280 x 720) to 1280 x 960, a 33% increase in display real estate. I suspect there is no audio at this resolution, but I have a monitor connected and not a TV, so I can't tell.

HTH
Dennis Cote

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 4/2/14 2:38 PM
Correct, hdmi audio is currently disabled with the v3.13.x patchset,
so you'll get non-audio resolution options. I was seeing headache
inducing screen shakes on my work monitor, will try again with v3.14.x
(the patchset hasn't hit mainline yet).
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test KurtE 4/2/14 3:45 PM
Question:  For the fun of it, I updated my system to the latest build (3/31) Also updated the kernel using the script you mentioned.

Then thought I would test out building and running my Hexapod code. As part of my code base I have some Sound output including Tones (beeps) using Alsa as well as Espeak...

I git cloned the stuff down from my github project: https://github.com/KurtE/Raspberry_Pi  (Sorry about the project name) and did the stuff in my Readme file that included sudo apt-get of the stuff for ALSA and Espeak and got everything to build.  I use an external USB sound adapter.  With previous builds I was able to get the sound to work by creating a sound configuration file: /etc/asound.conf pcm. with the content of:
!default sysdefault:Device

So far when I try it with this build I am not having much luck:

Still investigating.  Suggestions?

Seeing messages like:

kurt@beaglebone:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
!default sysdefault:Device

kurt@beaglebone:~$ espeak "Hi There"
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM sysdefault
[...]
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[...]
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dmix
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dmix
FATAL: cannot locate cpu MHz in /proc/cpuinfo

Also not sure if it helps, but here is some of the end of dmesg:
[    2.962517] davinci_mdio 4a101000.mdio: detected phy mask fffffffe
[    2.970375] libphy: 4a101000.mdio: probed
[    2.970407] davinci_mdio 4a101000.mdio: phy[0]: device 4a101000.mdio:00, driver SMSC LAN8710/LAN8720
[    2.971070] Detected MACID = c8:a0:30:ac:d3:98
[    2.972108] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
[    2.979252] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using musb-hdrc
[    2.979773] ALSA device list:
[    2.979786]   No soundcards found.
[    2.981021] Freeing unused kernel memory: 444K (c0a6f000 - c0ade000)
[    3.056812] udevd[107]: starting version 175
[    3.114061] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0608
[    3.114085] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[    3.114095] usb 2-1: Product: USB2.0 Hub
[    3.118330] hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
[    3.118730] hub 2-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
[    3.392973] usb 2-1.1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using musb-hdrc
[    3.493606] usb 2-1.1: device v0d8c p000e is not supported
[    3.499482] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0d8c, idProduct=000e
[    3.499494] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[    3.499504] usb 2-1.1: Product: Generic USB Audio Device
[    3.582902] usb 2-1.2: new low-speed USB device number 4 using musb-hdrc
[    3.692068] usb 2-1.2: device v04ca p0027 is not supported
[    3.698064] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=04ca, idProduct=0027
[    3.698077] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[    3.698087] usb 2-1.2: Product: USB Multimedia Keyboard
[    3.698097] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: Lite-On Technology Corp.
[    3.711944] input: Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.0/input/input0
[    3.712615] hid-generic 0003:04CA:0027.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1.2/input0
[    3.723719] input: Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.1/input/input1
[    3.724645] hid-generic 0003:04CA:0027.0002: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Device [Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1.2/input1
[    3.802966] usb 2-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using musb-hdrc
[    3.923614] usb 2-1.3: device v0cf3 p9271 is not supported
[    3.929530] usb 2-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0cf3, idProduct=9271
[    3.929543] usb 2-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=16, Product=32, SerialNumber=48
[    3.929553] usb 2-1.3: Product: USB2.0 WLAN
[    3.929563] usb 2-1.3: Manufacturer: ATHEROS
[    3.929572] usb 2-1.3: SerialNumber: 12345
[    4.012998] usb 2-1.4: new low-speed USB device number 6 using musb-hdrc
[    4.122568] usb 2-1.4: device v1241 p1177 is not supported
[    4.128448] usb 2-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1241, idProduct=1177
[    4.128460] usb 2-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[    4.144196] input: HID 1241:1177 as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1.4/2-1.4:1.0/input/input2
[    4.144845] hid-generic 0003:1241:1177.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [HID 1241:1177] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1.4/input0
[    5.442099] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[    6.028969] random: systemd urandom read with 122 bits of entropy available
[    6.170305] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[    7.027869] udevd[249]: starting version 175
[    8.095208] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[    8.376931] omap_rtc 44e3e000.rtc: rtc core: registered 44e3e000.rtc as rtc0
[    9.543643] cm109: Keymap for Komunikate KIP1000 phone loaded
[    9.566249] input: CM109 USB driver as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1.1/2-1.1:1.3/input/input3
[    9.572892] usbcore: registered new interface driver cm109
[    9.572910] cm109: CM109 phone driver: 20080805 (C) Alfred E. Heggestad
[    9.665588] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[    9.843435] usb 2-1.3: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271.fw requested
[    9.843549] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
[   10.139232] usb 2-1.3: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: htc_9271.fw, size: 51272
[   10.153396] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[   10.376307] ath9k_htc 2-1.3:1.0: ath9k_htc: HTC initialized with 33 credits
[   10.616177] ath9k_htc 2-1.3:1.0: ath9k_htc: FW Version: 1.3
[   10.616201] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x809c
[   10.616208] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
[   10.616217] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
[   10.616224] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x52
[   10.616232] ath: Country alpha2 being used: CN
[   10.616238] ath: Regpair used: 0x52
[   10.669693] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9271 Rev:1
[   18.177164] using random self ethernet address
[   18.177191] using random host ethernet address
[   18.177206] using host ethernet address: C8:A0:30:AC:D3:9A
[   18.177247] using random self ethernet address
[   18.177260] using random host ethernet address
[   18.177267] using host ethernet address: C8:A0:30:AC:D3:9A
[   18.178124] usb0: HOST MAC c8:a0:30:ac:d3:9a
[   18.178215] usb0: MAC 02:12:00:e0:2f:bc
[   18.723057] Number of LUNs=8
[   18.723102] Mass Storage Function, version: 2009/09/11
[   18.723121] LUN: removable file: (no medium)
[   18.723146] Number of LUNs=1
[   18.723266] LUN: removable file: /dev/mmcblk0p1
[   18.723276] Number of LUNs=1
[   18.738512] g_multi gadget: Multifunction Composite Gadget
[   18.738538] g_multi gadget: g_multi ready
[   21.004172] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): usb0: link is not ready
[   22.325090] type=1006 audit(1396293426.950:2): pid=1152 uid=0 old auid=4294967295 new auid=1000 old ses=4294967295 new ses=1 res=1
[   24.335359] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   32.160962] net eth0: initializing cpsw version 1.12 (0)
[   32.163491] net eth0: phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
[   32.163620] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[   32.168730] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
[   32.182789] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   35.243113] libphy: 4a101000.mdio:00 - Link is Up - 100/Full
[   35.243240] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   36.644092] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   37.196428] net eth0: initializing cpsw version 1.12 (0)
[   37.198577] net eth0: phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
[   37.198673] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[   37.203896] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
[   37.214502] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   38.114541] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   39.193227] libphy: 4a101000.mdio:00 - Link is Up - 100/Full
[   39.193355] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   42.110237] wlan0: authenticate with 30:46:9a:02:49:a8
[   42.313333] wlan0: send auth to 30:46:9a:02:49:a8 (try 1/3)
[   42.316350] wlan0: authenticated
[   42.322552] wlan0: associate with 30:46:9a:02:49:a8 (try 1/3)
[   42.326440] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 30:46:9a:02:49:a8 (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=7)
[   42.333253] wlan0: associated
[   42.333478] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

Some information from aplay:
kurt@beaglebone:~$ aplay -l
card 1: Device [Generic USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
kurt@beaglebone:~$ aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Device
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Device
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Generic USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Toni Salaet Larrull 4/4/14 10:03 AM
I have the same problem...

You could solve it?

El dimecres 2 d’abril de 2014 8:09:52 UTC+2, mbba...@gmail.com va escriure:
[...]

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 4/6/14 10:07 AM
Yes and no. The solution was worse than the problem. Updating to the development kernel as mentioned above resulted in better support for Wifi but an unstable LXDE environment. At this point I just don't rely on Wifi.
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 4/6/14 10:14 AM
I'm still running into some annoying root/debian user permissions problems. First, I have to switch to the root user in order to run a script I wrote to share the host computer's Internet connection. Second, when I push to git I get an error message about permission denied. The push goes through okay, but I don't know how to go about fixing whatever is causing the error.

Below is a screen shot of my terminal that shows exactly what I'm doing.

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Alexander Rössler 4/13/14 4:55 AM
Has this image OpenGL/SGX support? I would need it to get QtQuick running on it. Last year I was not able to get the driver compiled but as far as I remember TI has published some kernel patches back then.

Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2014 23:51:19 UTC+1 schrieb Jason Kridner:
[...]

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Dennis Cote 4/16/14 2:42 PM
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Dennis Cote <den...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:29:10 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> However it works better if you add it via xset/xsetroot:
>>
>> root@beaglebone:~# cat /home/debian/.xsessionrc
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> xset -dpms
>> xset s off
>> xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
>>
>> and just remove the  [Option          "SWCursor"      "true"] line
>> from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>

> Robert,
>
> My .xsessionrc file looks identical to yours, and I did not have "SWCursor"
> anywhere in my xorg.conf file, so there was nothing to remove.
>
> My mouse pointer definitely becomes invisible when I logout.

okay, so when i switch back to v3.8, i see this now too.. Weird, as
v3.13.x it works.  Might just have to go back to the xorg.conf
workaround.

Hi Robert,

I hope this isn't a repeat. I thought I posted a similar message earlier today, but it has not showed up in the group (at least for me), so I am retrying.

Today I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of the latest, 2014-04-14, Debian image. Previously I had been using your update scripts to update my installation to the latest version, but I noticed there wasn't an update script for this version when I did a git pull in the /opt/scripts directory.

While using the new version I noticed that I had the same problems with my mouse pointer becoming invisible whenever I log out of LXDE, and the DPMS screen blanking being disabled, that I had reported earlier.

To correct this I removed the ~/.xsessionrc file to get the default, On, state for the dpms screen blanking. I also had to add the following line to the end of the Device section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Without this line I had no mouse pointer at all.

    Option "SWCursor" "true"

I now have a mouse pointer that remains visible across LXDE logout/login cycles, and my screen now turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I really think this a better default setup since the BBB behave like a standard desktop PC (I have a USB keyboard and mouse, and an HDMI monitor). New users will get correct and standard operation. More experienced users can change these behaviors if they need to (to disable screen blanking on a kiosk for example), especially if there are clear instructions on how to do so.

While testing the changes to the ~/.xsessionrc file I notice that I am getting a ~/.xsession-errors file created on each reboot. This file contains the following message:

    Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml"

Dennis Cote

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test vitor de miranda henrique 4/25/14 8:19 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm having problems with the latest debian build (2014-04-23) and the WIFI dongle Edimax EW-7811Un.

I follow this link (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beaglebone/Q92uD9F1us8) to set up the dongle, can connect to wifi, but the connection is faulty, works for couple of minutes and than just stops.

Raspiberry Pi works great with the same adapter, where can i find a better drive for this dongle? what is the best dongle to use with this Debian images?

Thank you,

Vitor Henrique

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Duffy 5/20/14 5:53 PM
RobertCNelson:

I am running 2014-05-14 debian (flasher), and I can reliably generate a kernel null pointer dereference using no more than /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots and /lib/firmware/BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo.

Thanks for any help.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/20/14 6:01 PM
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM,  <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RobertCNelson:
>
> I am running 2014-05-14 debian (flasher), and I can reliably generate a
> kernel null pointer dereference using no more than
> /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots and /lib/firmware/BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo.

Yes and No... You got a null pointer dereference when you "unloaded a
cape", which is a long time old known issue. The "only" way to
properly unload a cape is to reboot with the v3.8.x based kernel.

> Any interest?  If so, please see:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beaglebone/RpozbQ0gGH0

Ah, i see. So you guys are on the "other" forum, if you would have
searched the main one (this one) you would have seen this old issue
discussed a few times over the last year.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/20/14 6:25 PM
to follow up:

root@am335x-boneblack-512mb-0:/home/voodoo# uname -r
3.8.13-bone54

root@am335x-boneblack-512mb-0:/home/voodoo# export
SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots
root@am335x-boneblack-512mb-0:/home/voodoo# cat $SLOTS
 0: 54:PF---
 1: 55:PF---
 2: 56:PF---
 3: 57:PF---
 4: ff:P-O-- Bone-LT-eMMC-2G,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONE-EMMC-2G
 5: ff:P-O-- Bone-Black-HDMI,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONELT-HDMI
 6: ff:P-O-- Bone-Black-HDMIN,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONELT-HDMIN

root@am335x-boneblack-512mb-0:/home/voodoo# echo BB-SPIDEV1 > $SLOTS

[   96.506849] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: part_number 'BB-SPIDEV1',
version 'N/A'
[   96.516565] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: generic override
[   96.523225] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: bone: Using override
eeprom data at slot 7
[   96.531389] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: 'Override Board
Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-SPIDEV1'
[   96.541719] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Requesting part
number/version based 'BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo
[   96.552162] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Requesting
firmware 'BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo' for board-name 'Override Board Name',
version '00A0'
[   96.570136] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: dtbo
'BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo' loaded; converting to live tree
[   96.581977] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: #2 overlays
[   96.629134] edma-dma-engine edma-dma-engine.0: allocated channel for 0:45
[   96.643245] edma-dma-engine edma-dma-engine.0: allocated channel for 0:44
[   96.692195] edma-dma-engine edma-dma-engine.0: allocated channel for 0:43
[   96.706484] edma-dma-engine edma-dma-engine.0: allocated channel for 0:42
[   96.725354] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Applied #2 overlays.

root@am335x-boneblack-512mb-0:/home/voodoo# ls /dev/spidev1.*
/dev/spidev1.0  /dev/spidev1.1

works for me..
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Duffy 5/20/14 7:14 PM
Thanks, Robert.  Sorry for not searching in the "right" place.  Now I know.

Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Rick Reynolds 5/23/14 9:32 AM
Hi All, This is my first post on the group. Hope I'm in the correct place. Hate to sound like such a noob but, that's what I am.

I am working with a Beaglebone Black revision B, 7" HDMI display and USB eGalax based touch screen. We are currently have 5 revision C boards on order.

I am booting from a 2gb sd using the 3.14.4-bone4.1 kernel and debian-7.5-minimal-armhf-2014-05-07 rootfs. I did a cross build on a Wheezy VM using the info from http://eewiki.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13599118.
I have installed LXDE and everything is working really well.

I have one small touchscreen issue however. It works correctly except that I cannot get the pointer to the edge of the screen. Not close enough to activate the panel menus and such.
From what I've read I believe the xinput-calibrator utility would help solve this issue. But, I can't find the package with sudo apt-get install xinput-calibrator.

I have downloaded the source for version 0.7.5 from freedesktop.org and I'm trying to cross build it. No luck so far... I know that this utility is installed by default on the latest Debian/LXDE images from Beagleboard.org but i really want to be able to configure and build all of this myself.

What is the best method for providing the ./configure output and config.log content here? The tail of the ./configure output is below but I know it would probably be helpful to have the entire output and the config.log content.

./configure output
-------------------------
checking whether the /home/prism/bbb-dev/cc/linaro-03/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ linker (/home/prism/bbb-dev/cc/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2014.03_linux/arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for X... no
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for working strtod... no
checking for pow... no
checking for pow in -lm... yes
./configure: line 15509: syntax error near unexpected token `XINPUT,'
./configure: line 15509: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XINPUT, x11 xext xi inputproto)'
prism@BBB-Dev-1:~/bbb-dev/cc/xinput-calibrator/xinput_calibrator-0.7.5$ ^C
prism@BBB-Dev-1:~/bbb-dev/cc/xinput-calibrator/xinput_calibrator-0.7.5$
--------------------

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/23/14 9:37 AM

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Rick Reynolds <rwrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All, This is my first post on the group. Hope I'm in the correct place. Hate to sound like such a noob but, that's what I am.

I am working with a Beaglebone Black revision B, 7" HDMI display and USB eGalax based touch screen. We are currently have 5 revision C boards on order.

I am booting from a 2gb sd using the 3.14.4-bone4.1 kernel and debian-7.5-minimal-armhf-2014-05-07 rootfs. I did a cross build on a Wheezy VM using the info from http://eewiki.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13599118.
I have installed LXDE and everything is working really well.

I have one small touchscreen issue however. It works correctly except that I cannot get the pointer to the edge of the screen. Not close enough to activate the panel menus and such.
From what I've read I believe the xinput-calibrator utility would help solve this issue. But, I can't find the package with sudo apt-get install xinput-calibrator.

I have downloaded the source for version 0.7.5 from freedesktop.org and I'm trying to cross build it. No luck so far... I know that this utility is installed by default on the latest Debian/LXDE images from Beagleboard.org but i really want to be able to configure and build all of this myself.

It's easier to just build in on the bone.. (make sure libxi-dev is installed)

cd xinput_calibrator
./autogen.sh --with-gui=x11
make
make install
make distclean

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

When I execute "./autogen.sh --with-gui=x11" either directly on the bone, from a an LXTerminal session, or over ssh I get the same end result. it's basically the same thing I saw when trying to cross build.

checking string usability... no
checking string presence... no
checking for string... no
checking list usability... no
checking list presence... no
checking for list... no

checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for working strtod... yes
./configure: line 4987: syntax error near unexpected token `XINPUT,'
./configure: line 4987: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XINPUT, x11 xext xi inputproto)'
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/23/14 4:34 PM
On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Rick Reynolds <rwrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, and all your hard work, Robert. I have used your
> documentation extensively.
>
> When I execute "./autogen.sh --with-gui=x11" either directly on the bone,
> from a an LXTerminal session, or over ssh I get the same end result. it's
> basically the same thing I saw when trying to cross build.
>
> checking string usability... no
> checking string presence... no
> checking for string... no
> checking list usability... no
> checking list presence... no
> checking for list... no
>
> checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
> checking for _Bool... yes
> checking for working strtod... yes
> ./configure: line 4987: syntax error near unexpected token `XINPUT,'
> ./configure: line 4987: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XINPUT, x11 xext xi inputproto)'

Install xinput
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Rick Reynolds 5/27/14 5:47 AM
Hi Robert,

xinput is already installed. "xinput version" is reporting "xinput version 1.6.0" and "xI version on server 2.2".

Here's the output from "xinput list".

debian@arm:~/Downloads/xinput_calibrator$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse                  id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ eGalax Inc. USB TouchController             id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Keyboard                       id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Keyboard                       id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]

This is the output from apt-cache search xinput
debian@arm:~/Downloads/xinput_calibrator$ sudo apt-cache search xinput
chktex - Finds typographic errors in LaTeX
curtain - handy curtain for the desktop
gromit - GTK based tool to make annotations on screen
libxi-dev - X11 Input extension library (development headers)
libxi6 - X11 Input extension library
libxi6-dbg - X11 Input extension library (debug package)
lxde - LXDE metapackage
lxinput - LXDE keyboard and mouse configuration
lxinput-dbg - LXDE keyboard and mouse configuration (debug)
spotlighter - gtk interface to make annotations on the screen
whitedune - graphical VRML97/X3D viewer, editor, 3D modeller and animation tool
x11proto-kb-dev - X11 XKB extension wire protocol
xinput - Runtime configuration and test of XInput devices

This is the output from apt-cache search inputproto
x11proto-input-dev - X11 Input extension wire protocol
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Rick Reynolds 5/28/14 1:26 PM
Ok, I took a little different tack. I just copied  /usr/bin/xinput_calibrator from a non-customized BBB to my custom image and it works great.

Thanks again for all your hard work Robert. You have taught me volumes.

On Friday, May 23, 2014 6:34:54 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Duffy 5/28/14 2:23 PM
I'm running the latest (flashed to mmc) on a Rev B BBB.  /boot/uboot/ID.txt contains BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-05-14

The image appears to be missing journalctl, e.g. find / -name journalctl returns nothing.  dpkg reports systemd is installed (and the systemd command works).  What am I missing here?
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/28/14 2:37 PM

It's there just an older version of systemd where it was prefixed. systemd-

On May 28, 2014 4:23 PM, <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm running the latest (flashed to mmc) on a Rev B BBB.  /boot/uboot/ID.txt contains BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-05-14

The image appears to be missing journalctl, e.g. find / -name journalctl returns nothing.  dpkg reports systemd is installed (and the systemd command works).  What am I missing here?

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Duffy 5/28/14 3:26 PM
As usual, thank you, Robert, for your quick response (and encyclopedic knowledge)....
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Duffy 5/28/14 11:00 PM
On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:37:13 PM UTC-7, RobertCNelson wrote:

It's there just an older version of systemd where it was prefixed. systemd-

Follow-on question: any risk in moving to the latest version of systemd?  The version on the flasher is 44, the version on freedesktop.org is 213 and two years newer...
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test David Farning 5/29/14 5:20 AM
This is a quirk of Debian.

Systemd represents a pretty fundamental shift to Linux distributions.
Conservative distributions like Debian have taken a wait and see
approach before adopting it. As a result the version of systemd in
Debian stable, Sid, is pretty old.

One option would be look at using the current development version of
Debian, Jessie, which will become the next stable release later this
year or early next year.

As with everything it is and engineering trade off; old and stable vs.
new and awesome :)

David
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/29/14 7:48 AM
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:00 AM,  <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is just the way Debian works. "stable" aka Wheezy is frozen, so
only bug fixes are allowed.  As we start getting closer to Debian
Jessie's freeze date, I'll start pushing out offical testing images.

But there's nothing stopping you from running:

sudo sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then you'll get systemd 204

http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/systemd.html
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/29/14 7:50 AM
Of course, i just noticed, the stable backport of systemd
204-8~bpo70+1 is available right now.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 5/29/14 8:13 AM
Enable:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

in /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t wheezy-backports install systemd
sudo reboot
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 7/24/14 8:02 AM
I was using the March 31st image (I think) up until yesterday when I updated to the most recent image. One thing I liked about the march image is that it automatically booted to the sd card (no need to press the boot button). How can I implement this functionality with the newer image?
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 7/24/14 11:59 AM
Rename "bbb-uEnv.txt" in the boot partition....

mkdir disk
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 ./disk
sudo mv ./disk/bbb-uEnv.txt ./disk/uEnv.txt
sync
sudo umount ./disk
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 7/24/14 12:01 PM
Note, by doing this, it'll only support the mainline dtb location:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:U-boot_partitioning_layout_2.0#Rootfs_Partition
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test john3909 7/25/14 12:44 PM

From: <mbba...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM
To: "beagl...@googlegroups.com" <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test

I was using the March 31st image (I think) up until yesterday when I updated to the most recent image. One thing I liked about the march image is that it automatically booted to the sd card (no need to press the boot button). How can I implement this functionality with the newer image?
You need to update u-boot on your eMMC boot partition.

Regards,
John

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 8/6/14 4:16 AM
I purchased a proto cape from sparkfun with an eeprom. Apparently I can write a dts file and compile it so that I have better control of the headers at boot time. I'm trying to control some dc motors and was only able to find 4 gpios and 4 more pwms that are low and stay low when the beaglebone boots. I can use those for now, but I imagine that in the future this will probably change and I'd like to know how to deal with it. I'd also like to be able to choose my pin layout so that it's a little more intuitive for my students.

So my questions are:
  1. Can I access and program the eeprom on the proto cape from the beaglebone black? If so, how?
  2. How do I make the dts file?
  3. How do I compile it?
  4. Where do I put it?
  5. How do I make debian use it when it boots?
Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test Michael Backus 12/17/14 2:35 PM
I recently tried running some OpenCV code that works fine independently but crashes with a "select timeout" error when I try running it while I have my mini wifi module from Adafruit plugged in to provide wireless access via an AP network. Both the camera and the wifi module are plugged into a usb hub. I've done some research online and it sounds like the Bone's USB DMA support might not be up to the task. I've read about using other kernels and was wondering what was built into this image.

Is that optimization already built into this image?

Anyone have any other ideas for getting the Beaglebone to handle both a cheap USB camera and WiFi module, or is this something that would be better handled by the Raspberry Pi B+? I like controlling motors directly from the bone with the handful of PWM pins it sports, but wireless debugging is a little higher on my priority list so I can move to a Pi and an Arduino if necessary.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test shawn.j...@lynxspring.com 7/15/15 5:38 PM
How do I disable the dump of the IP addresses?  If the IP has changed, it is wrong the majority of the time and it also appears that on occasion, the file is getting corrupted.

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 4:32:38 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
>> So then, here's a question for you. Where do you want to see those
>> type of faq's listed?
>>
>> I can pretty much dump them anywhere, but the hard question is where...
>

> motd or the banner for ssh, together with an instruction to use rm to get
> rid of the message.

I've been dumping the default username/password + the current ip
address if we get it in time to "/etc/issue" so it shows up on both
the dvi and serial terminal. We could dump an elinux link faq there
too.  Good call on the ssh message, didn't think of that.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Here is the BeagleBone Debian (beta) image you want to test RobertCNelson 7/15/15 6:06 PM
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM,  <shawn.j...@lynxspring.com> wrote:
> How do I disable the dump of the IP addresses?  If the IP has changed, it is
> wrong the majority of the time and it also appears that on occasion, the
> file is getting corrupted.

"/etc/issue"

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L151

local: