Categories: Audio :

Audio Cape and Debian

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Audio Cape and Debian erg 5/8/14 5:26 PM
I know little of linux and not that up on audio, but in the process of building an app that uses both.  (Java app that works fine in windows).

I just bought the audio cape and a bit surprised at the lack of any docs or links to how-to.  In fact, not really sure which is the mic in and headphone out.

I'm sure this thing works, but not sure what I need to do to get it working.

Ive tried aplay, alsa, alsamixer and nothing seems to know the board is present. Using debian for the beagle board

Is there some kind of configuration that is needed to make this work? Or, is there any docs for this board (Rev B) that explain what needs to be done?

Appreciate any help.

aplay -vv  file.wav   Seems to do something, but no audio from either of the ports.

thx

Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian john3909 5/8/14 7:40 PM

From: erg <edros...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian

What kernel version are you using?

You need to install the Audio Device Tree
BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dts

You will find that here

Regards,
John

thx

Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian erg 5/9/14 5:29 PM
I appreciate the response - but how in the world do you install a device tree?  Been searching all over the place and find billions of references to how to compile one, but struggling with what to do with the one that is already compiled.

Also - the very limited docs seem to indicate this is already installed
The current Debian images have the required patches and will play audio normally.

there are zero other docs to help someone that just wants to use this rather than become a linux guru.
Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian john3909 5/9/14 10:09 PM

From: erg <edros...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, May 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian

I appreciate the response - but how in the world do you install a device tree?  Been searching all over the place and find billions of references to how to compile one, but struggling with what to do with the one that is already compiled.

Also - the very limited docs seem to indicate this is already installed
The current Debian images have the required patches and will play audio normally.

there are zero other docs to help someone that just wants to use this rather than become a linux guru.
Since you did not specify your kernel version, it is hard to respond. However, assuming you are using V3.8.13, do the following:

Make sure the compiled BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dtbo file is installed under the /firmware folder

export SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots
echo BB-BONE-AUDI-02 > $SLOTS

If you want to enable the Audio DT permanently, add it to your uEnv.txt file.

Regards,
John
Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian erg 5/10/14 11:08 AM
getting closer but not quite there.

To get the version information  lsb_release -a  return
root@beaglebone:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        7.4
Codename:       wheezy

Step 1 copy the audio device tree overlay (source) to  /lib/firmware
Step 2 copile the device tree overlay - good instructions here https://learn.adafruit.com/introduction-to-the-beaglebone-black-device-tree?view=all#compiling-an-overlay
       dtc -O dtb -o  BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dtbo  -b 0 -@ BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dts

Step 3 export SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots
        echo BB-BONE-AUDI-02 > $SLOTS
This will produce an error
        -bash: echo: write error: File exists

issue the command "dmesg" to see what kind of error this causes

666.089997] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: 'Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-BONE-AUDI-02'
[  666.090265] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Requesting part number/version based 'BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dtbo
[  666.090319] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Requesting firmware 'BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dtbo' for board-name 'Override Board Name', version '00A0'
[  666.097465] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: dtbo 'BB-BONE-AUDI-02-00A0.dtbo' loaded; converting to live tree
[  666.098183] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: BB-BONE-AUDI-02 conflict P9.31 (#5:BB-BONELT-HDMI)
[  666.107973] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #7: Failed verification

This error state there is a conflict with BB-BONELT-HDMI

need to disable that

nano /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt
optargs=capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN

Remove the # from in front of this line

Audio now works

BUT

The sd card is no longer there.

What I would really like is for the SD card AND audio to work.

Again - thanks for the help,
Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian john3909 5/10/14 3:28 PM

From: erg <edros...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
BTW, you only need to disable BB-BONELT-HDMI. BB-BONELT-HDMIN will not conflict with your audio cape. I can only imagine that you must have some typo in uEnv.txt, because nothing you did will affect the SDCard. Maybe you should recreate your SDCard and update the uEnv.txt file on the boot partition of the SDCard.

Regards,
John
Re: [beagleboard] Audio Cape and Debian erg 5/11/14 5:39 AM
Well, what ever I did, I fixed when I only disabled BB-BONELT-HDM  (rather than both).

Things are working well now.  Thanks so much for the help.
Re: Audio Cape and Debian Luís Costa 5/11/14 8:06 AM
Hi,

where did you buy it? How much did it cost?

Cheers
Re: Audio Cape and Debian erg 5/11/14 3:58 PM
I got mine from http://boardzoo.com/index.php/new-products/bone-audio.html#.U2_-VFd7_uw  boardzoo.com  Cost $29.95

Few other notes:

I will likely need to modify this board to include an audio amp to drive a speaker and an on-board mic.

I tried to play audio directly from Java - don't think it's gonna work without some indepth knowledge of the Linux and the Java audio.  My most likely solution will be to simply execute an external program (most likely madplay).
aplay will only play wav files, I would rather use mp3 due to space.

I've installed maplay using
 apt-get install madplay
(i've tried mpg123 - but didn't seem to work and did not want to fight that battle

Good luck.  I know very little of Linux, so this was a bit frustrating form me, I hope my notes help
I'm not entirely sure yet, but think I will execute (from Java) lame to record.
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Audio Cape and Debian john3909 5/11/14 7:01 PM

From: erg <edros...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Audio Cape and Debian

I got mine from http://boardzoo.com/index.php/new-products/bone-audio.html#.U2_-VFd7_uw  boardzoo.com  Cost $29.95

Few other notes:

I will likely need to modify this board to include an audio amp to drive a speaker and an on-board mic.
Use amixer to modify the volume. Start with arecord and aplay to confirm that your audio is working before using java.

If you have a microphone, play music from say your iPhone or Android device.
arecord -r 44100 -c 1 -f S16_LE -t wav -vv -d 25 example.wav
aplay example.wav

Regards,
John