Re: [beagleboard] Debian on Beaglebone - serial console problem

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Re: [beagleboard] Debian on Beaglebone - serial console problem RobertCNelson 10/4/12 5:19 PM
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Zander <mark.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed a new copy of Debian for Beaglebone following the
> instructions at http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian
>
> The first reboot I got this on the serial console.
>
> ######
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Beagle ttyO0
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Beagle ttyO0
>
> Beagle login: Beagle login:
>
> ######
>
> It is impossible to login because it looks like there are 2 getty's running
> at once.
> Has anyone else seen this problem? I did not try to re-install debian from
> scratch to see if it was something I did.
>

> The solution was to mount the filesystem on another debian install and
> change the '/etc/inittab' so that there is only one getty for the serial
> line.
>
> ######
> # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
> #
> T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyO0 115200 vt102
> #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
>
> # Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
> #
> #T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3
>
> T2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyO0 115200 vt102
> ######

Hi Zander,

That is strange that happened.  So I can fix it, can you expand a
little... What "minimal" image did you use? Or if it was the
"netinstall" script, what was the git-sha and what parameters you
called "mk_mmc.sh".

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

On Thursday, 4 October 2012 20:19:45 UTC-4, RobertCNelson wrote:

Hi Zander,

That is strange that happened.  So I can fix it, can you expand a
little... What "minimal" image did you use? Or if it was the
"netinstall" script, what was the git-sha and what parameters you
called "mk_mmc.sh".

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

This is the commands I used to put the debian netinstall on a flash drive.

> git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall.git
> cd netinstall
> ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdb --uboot bone --distro squeeze

I was in a rush because my Beaglebone had just crashed due to a flash failure. It's my main NAS now and the family can't live without it!
But I don't remember doing anything special during the install.
I am using USBSerial for the console but RJ-45 for ethernet.

I may have a chance this weekend to do a test install with another flash drive.
I'll let you know what happens if I do.

I appreciate the response.

-Zander

Re: [beagleboard] Debian on Beaglebone - serial console problem RobertCNelson 10/5/12 8:36 AM
Thanks Zander,

I was guess thinag, and was able to replicate and fix it last night..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall/commit/547bf69f7a7e9f2e7416980a41811d465abc8eb0

Basically at some point after my script runs (which is one of the last
scripts to run before reboot), the installer removes a "#" and
replaces ttyS0 with ttyO0... I'm pretty sure its based on the presence
of console=ttyO0.. (so we ended up with two getty lines, the one i
modified and the one the installer did..)

The short, it works now for Squeeze, but I will have to have to retest
wheezy again. ;)