Wish me luck...

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Wish me luck... Pete 9/28/12 7:10 AM
Not sure if Daniel has spilled the beans, but I'm out in California right now because I'm interviewing for a software engineering job at Google today. I know not everyone is a fan, but hey, there are certainly more evil companies out there (like AT&T). As most folks probably know, Google doesn't hire just anyone, so I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. But they did fly me out here. I'm having a great time. I visited my brother's workplace yesterday at Zazzle. It's about 100% different from my current employer. Silicon Valley is like nerd heaven.

I'll report on what I can on Tuesday (Kate's new job means I get to come on Tuesday nights again!!).

-Pete
Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... BlackTalon 9/28/12 7:15 AM
You know you will have to give up your iphone if you go to work for google.

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Pete 9/28/12 7:18 AM
NEVER!

Actually, one of the teams I'm interviewing with today is the Android team. I think if I get hired by them I probably will have to make the switch.

-Pete

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... baslisks 9/28/12 7:21 AM
Don't they do app development for the iphone too? I mean it is a valid platform.
Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Pete 9/28/12 7:23 AM
They do. I'm pretty sure they won't require me to get rid of my iPhone if I join up. But I'll probably end up with a free Android phone at some point and I might have to make a choice there. I'm not opposed to Android phones or anything. I'm just an Apple fanboy.

-Pete

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Ryan/baslisks <basl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't they do app development for the iphone too? I mean it is a valid platform.

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... phoglite 9/28/12 7:47 AM
Pete - Awesome, good luck!  -Keith

-Pete

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Altered Ego 9/28/12 7:53 AM
I wish you luck.  I have no doubt that if they don't get you, they
made a mistake.
Re: Wish me luck... Gene J. (GeekTinker) 9/28/12 9:07 AM
Good Luck Pete!  I think you make a great fit for Google!  I'm sure they will realize that as well and make you an offer.

Way to go after your dreams.
Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Deech 9/28/12 5:10 PM
GOOD LUCK.

Be sure to casually mention this: http://memegenerator.net/instance/27525029

-Deech

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... XSFX2000 9/28/12 6:14 PM

Done. However, I don't think you need luck- you're set!

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Pete 9/29/12 8:39 AM
Oh, don't worry Deech, most of my interviewers probably left thinking I was totally obsessed with bragging about the proxy server I built that one time.

Things went pretty well. As I mentioned, I signed an NDA so I can't go into specifics, but I'll report more on my general experience Tuesday.

-Pete

Re: (Arch Reactor) Wish me luck... Deech 9/29/12 3:40 PM
Awesome. If I were you, I'd just print out all the articles from Wired and Make, etc, and just staple them to the back of your resume.

I actually had a similar experience in a recent interview. I'll tell you on Tues.

-Deech

Re: Wish me luck... |RyanW| 9/30/12 9:55 PM
Good luck Pete!
Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Wish me luck... Dianoiaysus 9/30/12 11:25 PM
An interesting look into the workings of Google:
https://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/38331.pdf
Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Wish me luck... Altered Ego 10/1/12 1:21 AM

Looks like something to spend some time on and work through..

On Oct 1, 2012 1:25 AM, "Scott A. Kampas" <scott....@gmail.com> wrote:
An interesting look into the workings of Google: https://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/38331.pdf

Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Wish me luck... Pete 10/1/12 5:29 AM
Very cool. Might have been useful to read _before_ my interviews. ;-)

-Pete

On Oct 1, 2012, at 1:25 AM, "Scott A. Kampas" <scott....@gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting look into the workings of Google: https://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/38331.pdf

Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Wish me luck... Gene J. (GeekTinker) 10/2/12 11:32 AM
Pete,

;)

On Monday, October 1, 2012 7:29:20 AM UTC-5, Pete wrote:
Very cool. Might have been useful to read _before_ my interviews. ;-)

-Pete
Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Wish me luck... Pete 10/2/12 12:36 PM
Probably not... I'm pretty sure I'm not smart enough. I also do my best to not meta-interview quite so much as that.

-Pete