Kombucha fermentation demo

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Kombucha fermentation demo kwalta 10/3/12 1:51 PM
I have lots of SCOBYs (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast) from making kombucha tea/vinegar. I thought having a demo would be a good way to find them new homes. If anyone is interested in a demo or some free SCOBYs reply here and we'll come up with a date and time.

I think Ryan H wanted to make some Club-Mate so that could be worked in too!

-Kim
Re: Kombucha fermentation demo HoyeBoye 10/3/12 10:44 PM
This Ryan H would love a kombucha demo. My schedule is terrible right now, so weekends would be the only time I could do it. Perhaps the demo could be recorded and made available online?
Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Kombucha fermentation demo kwalta 10/4/12 7:06 AM
We should come up with some sort of Ryan Numbering System. Or have each of you choose a seven dwarf name. :P

October is pretty full of halloween goodness so how about Saturday, Nov 3rd. That'll give me enough time to make some more SCOBYs and maybe acquire a few more items to make kits for people.

-Kim

Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Kombucha fermentation demo baslisks 10/4/12 7:15 AM
I respond to baslisks, Ryan, jimmy, and RC.
Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo Altered Ego 10/5/12 3:09 AM
That would be a pretty cool demo....
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/6LrprjtuWh4J.
Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo Derek 10/5/12 7:59 AM
My wife is big into kombucha.  We've had this scoby (picture attached) a little over a year now.  She swears by it and loves it.  Myself, I'm a Diet Coke fan.  :(
-derek

> I have lots of SCOBYs (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast) from making
> kombucha tea/vinegar. I thought having a demo would be a good way to find
> them new homes. If anyone is interested in a demo or some free SCOBYs reply
> here and we'll come up with a date and time.

Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo kwalta 10/5/12 8:40 AM
Dat SCOBY...

Have you tried some of the flavored, fizzy stuff with a double fermination? I like it better than soda, but I can't seem to make enough to keep up with my soda consumption. :P

-Kim
Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo BlackTalon 10/5/12 8:50 AM
What does it taste like?  And what are the health benefits to drinking it?

Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo kwalta 10/5/12 9:20 AM
How long you leave the SCOBY in the sweetened tea (black/green/etc) alters the taste. If you take the SCOBY out early and stop the brewing process, it's still pretty sweet. It has a cider-y flavor. You can add flavorings with the finished tea for a second brewing which makes it really fizzy like soda. I like to put in minced ginger and honey.

I'll bring some samples for people to taste.

As for benefits? From what I've read it may aid in digestion. I wouldn't trust the hippie sites that claim it's a cure for cancer. There isn't enough studies to support the claims.
Re: (Arch Reactor) Kombucha fermentation demo donls 10/5/12 10:02 AM
I've been hearing a lot lately on NPR about how much effect intestinal microflora (and in other parts of the body) has on overall health, and practices that are altering microflora content are having severe health  consequences.

Bringing therapeutic bacteria introduction to market will first involve investigations into safety and effectiveness. In the meantime, researchers are really enthusiastic about changes in body function they observe when the right bacteria are introduced into people with problems. Most important example they gave was bacteria content in the nose contrasted between people with chronic rhinitis and those without. Also, introduction of bacteria into one part of the body can have effects elsewhere. I think one example was eating something like yogurt and having effects in the joints.

--Don Ellis
Re: Kombucha fermentation demo kwalta 10/15/12 11:41 AM
Added the Kombucha demo to the calendar for Saturday, Nov 3 1-3pm. If you would like a starter 'shroom, bring along a plastic or glass tupperware container, no metal.

-Kim
Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Kombucha fermentation demo Amberly 10/16/12 8:58 AM
Ok, I'll bite...what is Kombucha and why would I want it?

Amberly