Python target for ANTLR 4

Showing 1-23 of 23 messages
Python target for ANTLR 4 Ratul Saha 5/10/13 12:15 PM
Dear All,

Is there any hint when python target for ANTLR4 will be out?

--
Ratul Saha.
Doctoral Student.

Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.
Re: [antlr-discussion] Python target for ANTLR 4 ronald....@gmail.com 7/8/13 2:36 AM
I would also like to use a Python target. It is now nearly two months since the last post on this thread, is there any new information regarding a (potential) Python target for ANTLR4?
RE: [antlr-discussion] Python target for ANTLR 4 Sam Harwell 7/8/13 2:56 AM
The additional ANTLR 4 targets are independently developed. I'm not aware of anyone who's expressed interest in volunteering to create the Python target at this point.

Thank you,
--
Sam Harwell
Owner, Lead Developer

Could it be possible to use antlr4+jython?

Regards,
Re: [antlr-discussion] Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 12/16/13 8:40 AM
Yes, indeed I think it would be. Do a lot of people use jython?
Ter

Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.
Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Athanasios Anastasiou 3/31/14 5:25 AM
Hello everyone

Can i please ask what is the progress on the Python target and if there is some documentation available somewhere to describe how this is done?

I am interested in such a target and would be willing to contribute if there is something already going on.

Looking forward to hearing from you
AA
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 David Whitten 3/31/14 5:37 AM
I'm having problems figuring out how to even start on a target.
Perhaps its obvious, but where in the code does it decide what language it is going to generate?

Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 3/31/14 7:49 AM
A gentleman named Eric has started on the path to a python target but it's a long road. I'm collecting people interested and will see how this goes.

Ter
--
Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Xuan-Loi Vu 4/15/14 11:41 PM

I am really interested in using ANTLR to write my own compilers. Although i am not really good in Python Programming language.
Can I join to Python's team to build Python target for ANTLR V4.
Could you tell me "what do i need to start with the project?"
Thank you very much.

Vào 21:49:45 UTC+7 Thứ hai, ngày 31 tháng ba năm 2014, the_antlr_guy đã viết:
Re: [antlr-discussion] Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 4/16/14 10:50 AM
Hi. Eric is making great progress so I think were okay but thanks for the offer.
Ter
Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Peter C. Marks 5/2/14 6:00 AM
I should read this list more often... I'm about two weeks into porting the Antlr4 runtime to Python 2.7. But, it seems that Eric has made very good progress on a Python 3 runtime - congratulations!

So, what should I do? Abandon my effort? Or, should I continue with a Python 2.7 version? Does it make sense to have both Python 2 and Python 3 versions? Anyone's help with this decision would be appreciated.

Or, maybe I should find another language target?

Thanks,

Peter
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 5/2/14 10:47 AM

Eric is making such good progress that I think we should focus on python 3 and then think about back porting

Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 5/2/14 10:47 AM

Javascript?

On May 2, 2014 6:00 AM, "Peter C. Marks" <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Peter C. Marks 5/2/14 11:13 AM
OK, I'll hold off on a Python 2.7 version; makes sense.

JavaScript? Hmmm.

And for something completely different: Julia?
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 5/2/14 11:18 AM

On May 2, 2014, at 11:13 AM, Peter C. Marks <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I'll hold off on a Python 2.7 version; makes sense.
>
> JavaScript? Hmmm.
>
> And for something completely different: Julia?

Julia is awesome, but we have to think about the size of the target market for the effort involved :)

Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Michael Roberts 5/2/14 11:29 AM
A Javascript target would be very useful.  People are beginning to
write things like IDEs, modelling programs, etc, in JS, which run
partly in the cloud, and partly in the browser and a parser which
could run in the browser would be very useful for this type of
toolchain.  Commercial example: https://c9.io/

MR
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Peter C. Marks 5/2/14 1:03 PM
With the advent of node.js, JavaScript applications can run from the command-line, although from what I know of node.js its asynchronouse i/o model seems to be its selling point. I'm curious as to where people think the most likely use of a JavaScript ANTL4 runtime would be: server-side or browser-based?

Peter
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Michael Roberts 5/2/14 2:36 PM
My user case: if I wrote a syntax directed editor for something and
ran it on the client, I'd want to parse on the client to eliminate the
server round trip ..
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Mike Cargal 5/4/14 11:28 AM
I’d second that thought
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 Peter C. Marks 5/5/14 8:04 AM
There is a Dart implementation of the ANTLR4 runtime here, which should run in most browsers, although I have not tried it out yet.

Peter
Re: [antlr-discussion] Re: Python target for ANTLR 4 the_antlr_guy 5/5/14 9:48 AM
Wow.  I had no idea someone had built this target. Does anyone have experience with it?
Ter
Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.
More topics »