WiFi Direct questions

Showing 21-44 of 44 messages
WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 1/31/12 3:51 PM
Hi,

I have the WFD demo program working with a couple retail Galaxy
Nexus's running 4.0.2. I started playing around with a few new API's
and have a few basic questions at the end of this mail.

I created a group owner using WifiP2pManager.createGroup(). After the
group was successfully created, I requested for group info using
requestGroupInfo(channel, groupInfoListener). After the
GroupInfoListener method onGroupInfoAvailable(WifiP2pGroup group) was
called, I printed out all the group and device info per the source
code below:

private class WfDGroupInfoListener implements GroupInfoListener {

  @Override
  public void onGroupInfoAvailable(WifiP2pGroup group) {
    if (group != null) {
      Log.d(TAG, "-----Group Info-----");
      Log.d(TAG, "SSID: " + group.getNetworkName());
      Log.d(TAG, "Address: " + group.getInterface());
      Log.d(TAG, "Passphrase: " + group.getPassphrase());

      WifiP2pDevice p2pDevice = group.getOwner();
      Log.d(TAG, "serviceDiscoveryCapable: " +
((p2pDevice.isServiceDiscoveryCapable()) ? true : false));
      Log.d(TAG, "wpsDisplaySupported: " +
((p2pDevice.wpsDisplaySupported()) ? true : false));
      Log.d(TAG, "wpsKeypadSupported: " +
((p2pDevice.wpsKeypadSupported()) ? true : false));
      Log.d(TAG, "wpsPbcSupported: " +
((p2pDevice.wpsPbcSupported()) ? true : false));
    } else {
        Log.d(TAG, "group is NULL");
    }
  }
}

My debug log contains:

01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): -----Group Info-----
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): SSID: "DIRECT-fd"
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): Address: p2p-wlan0-0
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): Passphrase: "KhHm7U0w"
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): serviceDiscoveryCapable: false
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): wpsDisplaySupported: false
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): wpsKeypadSupported: false
01-30 15:59:37.879: D/WfdTest(1913): wpsPbcSupported: false

My basic questions are:

1. Why do all the WPS and Service Discovery options return false?

2. How can service discovery be initiated by an application? The
Android WFD API doc has a vague mention of "Android has no platform
support for service discovery yet, so applications could run a service
discovery protocol to discover services on the peer-to-peer
network.".  The Wifi P2P spec allows for (optional) Service Discovery
using GAS frames but not sure how they can be initiated using the SDK
prior to getting an IP?

3. How can a specific WPS configuration like PIN or PBC be configured
for the group owner (acting as a  standalone registrar)?

4. How can a WFD client/enrollee be configured to use PIN or PBC to
connect to the GO?

5. Is there a way to force the GO to be on a specific Wifi Channel
(P2P spec v1.1 section 3.1.4.2.1 allows for a  "preferred Operating
Channel"?

6. Is there a way to chose a specific SSID (P2P spec v1.2 section
3.2.1 says "Any byte values allowed for an SSID according to
IEEE802.11-2007 [1] may be included after the string --DIRECT-xy||
(including none)")?
Re: WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 2/3/12 9:54 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to check back in to see if anyone has any insights to my
questions?

Regards,
Prem
Re: WiFi Direct questions Irfan Sheriff 2/11/12 10:20 PM

Pre-association service discovery is not supported yet. As for WPS settings on
the GO, it should support all forms and there is no way to restrict it to be PIN or
PBC alone.

4. How can a WFD client/enrollee be configured to use PIN or PBC to
connect to the GO?

The WifiP2pManager connect() API accepts a WifiP2pConfig which allows you to specify WPS

5. Is there a way to force the GO to be on a specific Wifi Channel
(P2P spec v1.1 section 3.1.4.2.1 allows for a  "preferred Operating
Channel"?

Not supported yet

6. Is there a way to chose a specific SSID (P2P spec v1.2 section
3.2.1 says "Any byte values allowed for an SSID according to
IEEE802.11-2007 [1] may be included after the string --DIRECT-xy||
(including none)")?

No

Re: WiFi Direct questions Deepthi 2/11/12 11:42 PM

for eg:

p2p_listen_reg_class=81
p2p_listen_channel=1
p2p_oper_reg_class=81
p2p_oper_channel=1

6. Is there a way to chose a specific SSID (P2P spec v1.2 section
3.2.1 says "Any byte values allowed for an SSID according to
IEEE802.11-2007 [1] may be included after the string --DIRECT-xy||
(including none)")?

No

Thanks,
Deepthi.

Re: WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 2/22/12 3:34 PM
Thanks for your response. I have a little feedback and a few more questions.

1. If pre-assoc service discovery is not supported, it is very disruptive to force WPS assoc/IP generation prior to deciding who to connect to. What are the plans to fix this and time frame?

2. You mention that all WPS methods are supported. However, the usability (from an end-user perspective) is poor and in some cases, it is also very unclear how to use the SDK API's. Here are some observations (based on modifying the sample WFD demo app WPS config object):

Experiment 1:
p2pconfig.wps.setup = WpsInfo.DISPLAY;
p2pconfig.wps.pin = "0000";
On connect, PIN is displayed on local device and requests user to enter same PIN on remote device; once PIN is entered, connect completes successfully.

Experiment 2:
p2pconfig.wps.setup = WpsInfo.KEYPAD;
p2pconfig.wps.pin = "0000";
On connect, asks user for PIN on remote device. not clear what should be entered and how PIN should be configured on local device. Entering 0000 on remote device does not work.

Experiment 3:
p2pconfig.wps.setup = WpsInfo.LABEL;
p2pconfig.wps.pin = "0000";
On connect, asks user for PIN on remote device. Entering 0000 on remote device works
However if wrong PIN is entered, can't reconnect again at all!! On failed device, peer discovery stops as well.

Experiment 4:
config.wps.setup = WpsInfo.LABEL;
asks if MAC address can connect; On OK, connect completes successfully
On connect, asks user to validate MAC address on remote device. Entering OK works.

Other observations:
  • It is extremely easy to crash the phone (not just application) on the device that is asked to connect after a failed connect.
  • It is extremely easy to crash phone (not just application) after a few WFD enable/disables and running the WFD demo a few times.
Any input on any of the above points will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Prem

Re: WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 2/22/12 3:36 PM
Thanks for your response.

How is one supposed to access the p2p commands and/or conf file from the SDK? I can't get to them using the adb shell either (on a retail galaxy nexus).

Thanks,
Prem
Re: WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 2/22/12 4:29 PM
Sorry, a mistake in Experiment 4. It should read as p2pconfig.wps.setup = WpsInfo.PBC;
Re: WiFi Direct questions AAT 2/23/12 3:40 AM
See if this link helps you out:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP_Wireless_Connectivity_NLCP_WiFi_Direct_Configuration_Scripts

On 22 fev, 21:36, Prem Kumar <premk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> How is one supposed to access the p2p commands and/or conf file from the
> SDK? I can't get to them using the adb shell either (on a retail galaxy
> nexus).
>
> Thanks,
> Prem
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM, deepthi gowri <deepthi.go...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Irfan Sheriff <isher...@gmail.com>wrote:
Re: WiFi Direct questions Prem Kumar 2/23/12 11:02 AM
Thanks very much for the link. It is definitely helpful, but:

1. There appears to be no wpa_cli on my retail galaxy nexus (verizon version)
$ adb shell
shell@android:/ $ wpa_cli
wpa_cli
/system/bin/sh: wpa_cli: not found

2. The SDK does not expose a lot of the underlying capabilities of the p2p protocol/driver which makes WFD/p2p very difficult (impossible?) to use for an android market app.
Re: WiFi Direct questions Olafur 3/29/12 8:00 AM
I too have been playing around with the WiFi direct API and my experience is similar to yours. I can only agree that the framework is unstable and clearly not product ready: device stops discovering neighbours, WiFi direct goes off and cannot be turned on again (reboot required), WiFi direct hangs in the ‘connecting’ state.

My results for experiment 3 are not the same as yours (WpsInfo.LABEL connection setup method).  For this case, the local device hangs in the connecting state and nothing happens at the remote device (no pop-up dialog - nothing).  The API documentation for the connection methods is poor.  How does one configure the PIN that clients use in a WpsInfo.LABEL connection setup?  I cannot find any configuration options for WiFi direct to do this.
Re: WiFi Direct questions Dirk Jäckel 3/30/12 3:15 AM
Hi!

I also have been playing with wifi direct but it crashed my phone
really often so I stopped trying. It crashed the Galaxy Nexus with
4.0.1, 4.0.2 and AOSP 4.0.3.

Were there changes in 4.0.4? Should I try again with 4.0.4?

Regards,
Dirk

Re: WiFi Direct questions PINKERTON 3/31/12 3:16 PM
Same here with two Galaxy S. I tried the WiFi direct demo and it is
crashing in different phases but mainly in connect phase

Narseo

Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 6/18/12 6:40 PM
Hi,

I have a similar question.

When two devices try to connect through Wi Fi, we get a popup with Accept/Decline.

Is it possible to remove this pop up so that the 2 devices connect automatically ?

thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions Irfan Sheriff 6/19/12 9:53 AM
No

Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 7/19/12 1:26 AM
Hi,

Android 4.1 supports service discovery and to register service.
But the APIs are not clear to me. Please clarify. Is there any example code like Wifidemo in the previous Android versions ?

public void addLocalService (WifiP2pManager.Channel c, WifiP2pServiceInfo servInfo, WifiP2pManager.ActionListener listener)

==> not clear how to set servInfo variable.

public void addServiceRequest (WifiP2pManager.Channel c, WifiP2pServiceRequest req, WifiP2pManager.ActionListener listener)

===> WifP2pServiceRequest talks about "String queryData". How do we use this in conjunction with addLocalService ?

An example code for service discovery and service advertisement will help. I was looking for vendor specific service.
thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions Irfan Sheriff 7/19/12 8:52 AM
We do have some service discovery extensions to the demo app that will go as part of the training tutorials on the developer site.

There is also service discovery code as part of CtsVerifier app

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-platform/-/G-8wk8YHBzoJ.

Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 7/19/12 6:11 PM
CTS doesn't seem to have for 4.1 in this link http://source.android.com/compatibility/downloads.html
When would the demo extension and CTS be available ? thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 7/20/12 1:22 AM
The other question I had is: is it possible to back port wifi direct service discovery/registration to ICS ? If not possible, why ? are there any dependencies with lower layers ? thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 9/2/12 10:59 PM
Hi,

I see that service related APIs is dimmed in the Android API page. What does this mean ?
Ref: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/WifiP2pManager.html
thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 9/6/12 7:25 PM
Hi,

How do we register a vendor specific service in 4.1 ?
More specifically how do we use WifiP2pServiceInfo ? And how or where do I use SERVICE_TYPE_VENDOR_SPECIFIC ?
When I try to instantiate a variable of type WifiP2pServiceInfo, it gives error:
"The constructor WifiP2pServiceInfo() is undefined"
Looks like the documentation available for this is incomplete:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/nsd/WifiP2pServiceInfo.html
It doesn't talk about any constructors.

Android team: Please update the documentation on using the classes for services or please share a demo program.

thanks.
Re: WiFi Direct questions kh 10/11/12 7:01 PM
hi,

How can we view/log wifi frames in an Android device /

thank you.
Re: WiFi Direct questions Mohmad Ra 6/14/13 12:17 PM
Is there a call back for the situation when the GO declines the connection request from a guest?
Re: WiFi Direct questions Saee Bhosale 8/2/13 2:59 AM
Did you find a way to connect devices without the pop up? I need to connect two devices without user interaction and verify the passkey.
Re: WiFi Direct questions user123 10/3/13 11:00 AM
I'm also looking for a way to connect devices without a popup. In my case it's important since I want to connect a lot of users with 1 "host" at the same time. The host can't click 10+ dialogs each session...