Re: [android-kernel] Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree?

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Re: [android-kernel] Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree? Jeremy Morales 8/25/12 4:42 AM

If you are just creating a new boot.img you can run "make boot image"

On Aug 24, 2012 5:14 PM, "akk" <genera...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a toroplus (sprint galaxy nexus). I want to add a couple lines to my kernel config file --> compile my kernel, and load that on my device.

I've gotten to the stage where I can make a zImage. The AOSP guide tells me to copy that to /device/samsung/tuna/kernel and then to make the entire project.

Do I have to make the entire project if I just want the updated kernel? I also don't have the proprietary binaries -- since its sprint.

Help would be much appreciated.

Re: [android-kernel] Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree? Jeremy Morales 8/25/12 4:43 AM

Correction:
make bootimage

Re: Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree? giangiammy 8/26/12 1:05 AM
Hi,

It is not necessary to build the all tree, but, from my experience, I did not found a standard
procedure to update a kernel in an Android system: I think this is a real pity!

Each device has some "features" which require to google for them and understand.

As example, if it can be useful, I flashed a new kernel on Acer Iconia A500:
http://www.giammy.com/files/bci.html
http://www.giammy.com/files/bci.pdf

See the section "Acer Iconia A500 kernel recompile"

bye
giammy

On Friday, August 24, 2012 9:10:17 PM UTC+2, akk wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a toroplus (sprint galaxy nexus). I want to add a couple lines to my kernel config file --> compile my kernel, and load that on my device.

I've gotten to the stage where I can make a zImage. The AOSP guide tells me to copy that to /device/samsung/tuna/kernel and then to make the entire project.

Do I have to make the entire project if I just want the updated kernel? I also don't have the proprietary binaries -- since its sprint.

Help would be much appreciated.

Re: [android-kernel] Re: Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree? Ken Chen 9/5/12 11:07 PM
No, you don't. Simply building zImage from your kernel, and then
repack it along with ramdisk.img. Make sure using right physical
offset of RAM, it is varied device by device.

-Ken

-- Ken Chen