Re: problems with starting a shell script at boot time from init.<target>.rc

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Re: problems with starting a shell script at boot time from init.<target>.rc Pieter 8/2/12 12:47 AM
Hi all,

I solved it. It seems you have to specify the class, otherwise it is in the class "default". In your init.rc, there are only statements for class_start core and class_start main. So you have to specifiy the class and add (if needed) an appropriate class_start statement.

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:12:13 AM UTC+2, Pieter wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to call a script at boot time.  The script is available inside /system/sbin, but it seems it is not executed.

Here are the details.
In my init.<target>.rc:

service sampleservice /system/bin/sh /system/sbin/samplescript.sh
     user root
     oneshot

The script itself:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo The sample script works!
echo "The sample script works!" > /data/misc/samplescript

The permissions of /system/sbin/samplescript.sh are as follows: -rw-r--r--

Doing from command line "sh /system/sbin/samplescript.sh" works perfectly, but it seems the script is not executed at boot time. There are no entries in /data/misc/samplescript

* How can I resolve this issue? Where should I see the output of the "echo" command? Is there another/better way to have it printed in logcat or dmesg?
* The script itself is not executable. Does this matter and if yes, how do I have to make it executable? In my original directory it is executable, but somehow during the copy process (with PRODUCT_LOCAL_COPY) the executable rights disappear.
* Another option I see is that I did not "register" a service as such (e.b. by specifiying "LOCAL_MODULE" in your Android.mk and mention it in core.mk) and perhaps this is just not the right way to call a sh script at boot time?

Any help is more than welcome!
Best regards,
Pieter
Re: [android-kernel] Re: problems with starting a shell script at boot time from init.<target>.rc Distrovix_DEV_TEAM 8/2/12 10:44 AM

The class is the IP adduced or Mac of device's

Re: problems with starting a shell script at boot time from init.<target>.rc William Roberts 8/2/12 7:24 PM
Shouldn't be executable?

We have something in SE Android that uses something similair in out init.rc we have:

service netlabels /system/bin/selinux-network.sh
    class core
    oneshot

And our Android.mk for the project has this:
include $(CLEAR_VARS)

LOCAL_MODULE := selinux-network.sh
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := $(LOCAL_MODULE)
LOCAL_MODULE_CLASS := EXECUTABLES
LOCAL_MODULE_TAGS := optional
LOCAL_MODULE_PATH := $(TARGET_OUT_EXECUTABLES)

include $(BUILD_PREBUILT)

It is important to note that the shell file is executable in the project directory, this way when it gets added to the image it is executable as well.

Hope this helps...