Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8?

Showing 1-13 of 13 messages
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Jean-Baptiste Queru 10/4/12 10:17 AM
None of the tagged releases can be built on MacOS 10.8. They're too old.

Only the master branch is buildable on 10.8 IIRC. repo init -b master.

JBQ

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM, RW <wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am new to Android and am a little confused by reading the past
> threads. I need to build Android on a mac - OSX 10.8.
> I don't need to build the emulator, which I understand doesn't work today. I
> just need the arm images and will be using the emulator provided with the
> android SDK
>
> I am confused on which release to check out.
>
> a) According to posts I read by Al Sutton, only the 'master' branch will be
> closest to a successful lion compilation. However, if I check out just the
> master, with repo init without a -b, it checks out ICS and that does not
> compile - in previous posts, Al has confirmed that ICS won't compile on 10.8
> (yes, I've diligently followed the 10.5 SDK download, strnlen fixes,
> changing CC to gcc-4.2 etc. it always fails with (Assertion failed:
> (LastChar > FirstChar && "Invalid start/end range" around the GL test
> files). So the question is , am I checking out the right "master" ?
>
> b) It seems to check out JB, I need to use -b android_4.1.1 but its upto r6
> now. Should I be checking out JB instead of the master branch with git for
> an easier OSX 10.8 compilation possibility?
>
> thank you

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Al Sutton 10/4/12 11:07 AM
You will need to set BUILD_MAC_SDK_EXPERIMENTAL=1 in your environment to ensure master will build on 10.8

Al.
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.

T: @alsutton

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

On 4 Oct 2012, at 18:28, RW <wil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.
Do you know if -b master will work out of the box (sans emulator)? Or do I have to revert to gcc-4.2, 10.5 SDK  et al ?

Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Al Sutton 10/4/12 11:22 PM
master will compile with Xcode without any further modification if you set that environment variable.

Al.
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.

T: @alsutton

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Wyllys Ingersoll 10/12/12 1:10 PM
So  just to clarify - on OS/X 10.8, we can only build the "master" branch, not ICS or JB.

Correct?
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Jean-Baptiste Queru 10/12/12 1:15 PM
Correct.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Wyllys Ingersoll 10/12/12 1:20 PM
So what is the main issue - compiler incompatibilities?  Would using a different toolchain (i.e. different gcc) help?
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Chris Sarbora 10/12/12 2:23 PM
Wyllys, the other release tags were created before 10.8 was released, so they don't correctly pick up the OS in the environment setup scripts.

They could be modified to work, but no one has undertaken the task.
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? sebastian mazur 12/18/12 2:51 AM
Hi

Is it possible to build latest android-4.1.2_r1 tag version on ox X 10.8 ? Is it new enough ?

W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 23:23:10 UTC+2 użytkownik Chris Sarbora napisał:
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Jean-Baptiste Queru 12/18/12 11:18 AM
That should work with the right version of XCode, but I'm not a MacOS expert.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? Al Sutton 12/18/12 11:24 AM
You'll need to tweak it because 10.8 was released after the freeze for 4.1.

You can find the patches you'll need in the projects at https://github.com/funkyandroid/
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(www.funkyandroid.com)

T: @alsutton
G+: http://goo.gl/ymi9b

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Re: [android-building] What is the right 'release tag' to download to be able to build on OSX 10.8? sebastian mazur 12/19/12 7:24 AM
Thanks, that was helpfull