State of PandaBoard

Showing 21-81 of 81 messages
State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/10/12 6:18 PM
There's a known issue with graphics on PandaBoard, where the display
is entirely black.

I suspect that's related to the changes that were done in Jelly Bean
around triple buffering.

My understanding is that someone is already working on updating the
graphics libraries. In the meantime, PandaBoards won't display much
:-(

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: State of PandaBoard Will Tisdale 7/11/12 1:09 AM
Damn, thats a shame.

I did a build yesterday and tried the 1.8@550175 blobs to match the kernel, but as you say, black screen of nothingness. :(

When will you be pushing the panda kernel source?

- Will
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/11/12 8:53 AM
I always build the PandaBoard kernel directly from AOSP, so the kernel
source is always available. The panda kernel hasn't changed since ICS:
I can't merge newer upstream kernels as that breaks the graphics
driver, and I can't update to a new graphics driver as I don't have
any newer graphics libraries that work on PandaBoard.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Will Tisdale 7/11/12 8:55 AM
Ah, fair enough. I'll await new graphics libs then. :)

Thanks for your reply.

- Will
Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/12/12 5:48 AM
Which AOSP build _will_ work for PandaBoard (rev. A2 / OMAP4430 ES2.1) at this time?

Currently I'm trying to get AOSP "android-4.0.4_r2.1" (IMM76L) with imgtec-panda-imm76i-67545da7.tgz (which should also cover IMM76L) up and running, following the instructions in device/ti/panda/README.
After proper udev setup, usbboot/fastboot work fine with my 4GiB SD card.

The kernel boots, but prints these errors on the serial console (no graphics output):

[    4.933013] PVR_K: (FAIL) SGXInit: Incompatible driver DDK revision (279068)/device DDK revision (785978).
[    4.943359] PVR_K:(Error): PVRSRVFinaliseSystem: Failed PVRSRVDevInitCompatCheck call (device index: 0) [451, drivers/gpu/pvr/pvrsrv.c]
[    4.956298] PVR_K:(Error): BridgedDispatchKM: Initialisation failed.  Driver unusable. [4795, drivers/gpu/pvr/bridged_pvr_bridge.c]

Any idea how to proceed? Should the branch android-4.0.4_r2.1 not work with the IMM76L drivers? Or do I need to configure something?
[After starting with  full_panda-userdebug, I'm currently re-building everything on full_panda-eng, but have no high hopes for it, hence my question.]
Thanks! -Hagen
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Chris Bainbridge 7/12/12 6:31 AM
I also did a build yesterday and discovered this black screen issue.
Is there a last known-good version? And if so, what precisely needs to
be checked out? Any idea how long before this issue is fixed (days?
weeks?).
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/12/12 8:15 AM
PandaBoard can't be used from tagged releases. Only the master branch
can be used.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/12/12 8:16 AM
We have patches that should fix PandaBoard, as soon as I can get them
reviewed and merged.

As a fallback, I have enough information available to recreate a
last-known-good state. I haven't had time to do that, though.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Will Tisdale 7/12/12 8:18 AM
Good question. Probably none currently, because the JB code has been
merged into master, and it was only master which was working. (As JBQ
just posted).

But now because JB and pandaboard graphics are broken, you can't get a
working build from master, unless you happen to have an old, pre JB
tree kicking about. I guess you could build JB master without the
libs, but it wouldn't be ideal.

The other alternative is waiting for the new libs.

- Will
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/12/12 8:32 AM
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:15:39 PM UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
PandaBoard can't be used from tagged releases. Only the master branch
can be used.
(Thanks for the fast reply, Jean-Baptiste.)

After looking at the revision numbers for the driver and device DDKs,
currently I'm doing a "trial compile" of
 - android-4.0.4_r2.1  with
 - imgtec-panda-itl41d
Just to see if I happen to get something bootable with graphics.
If this does not work, I'll check different kernels.

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Benedikt Dietrich 7/13/12 12:06 AM

But now because JB and pandaboard graphics are broken, you can't get a
working build from master, unless you happen to have an old, pre JB
tree kicking about.

Is it somehow possible to go back in the master tree with repo and do a checkout of the status before the JB merge?

Thanks,
Benedikt
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/13/12 2:13 AM

On Thursday, 12 July 2012 17:32:37 UTC+2, hagenp wrote:
After looking at the revision numbers for the driver and device DDKs,
currently I'm doing a "trial compile" of
 - android-4.0.4_r2.1  with
 - imgtec-panda-itl41d
Just to see if I happen to get something bootable with graphics.
If this does not work, I'll check different kernels.

Info: Now I'm stuck in "fastboot flashall", at "writing 'system'".
On the panda tty this hangs with "sparse: write to mmc slot[0] @ 18432".

Flashing all other image parts works, only flashing the "system" image hangs.
(Looks like an issue with the sparse file handling / flashing code to me.)

Multiple SD/MMC cards were tried, all three worked before before, with a different system image.

Next trial is to see if I can manually create the "system" partition. (Should not be too hard.)
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/13/12 2:59 AM
[Hang at "fastboot flashall" / "fastboot flash system" to panda board]

After replacing the android-4.0.4_r2.1 versions of xloader and bootloader(.bin) with the current <master>/device/ti/panda versions, "fastboot flash system" completes without errors.

Now I'm analyzing the boot logs and have a look at the file system.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/13/12 7:56 AM
We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/13/12 9:25 AM
On Friday, 13 July 2012 16:56:10 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.

Hmmm... what can I do to get a working Panda/ICS build?
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/13/12 9:35 AM
Right now there's no easy way.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Hagen Patzke 7/13/12 9:53 AM

On Jul 13, 2012 6:36 PM, "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Right now there's no easy way.

Yes, I noticed.

To test a component for a customer, early next week I need a debuggable ICS for PandaBoard - but any sub-version will do. Have you e.g. got a repo branch/tag or a bunch of git IDs for me?

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/13/12 9:58 AM
If you hunt around in all projects for the "ics-plus-aosp" branch and
create a manifest for that (which should be mostly similar to what
master-dalvik had before the Jelly Bean push), that might work. Maybe.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/15/12 11:57 PM
On Friday, 13 July 2012 18:58:18 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
If you hunt around in all projects for the "ics-plus-aosp" branch and
create a manifest for that (which should be mostly similar to what
master-dalvik had before the Jelly Bean push), that might work. Maybe.

Thanks for the pointer.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Benedikt Dietrich 7/20/12 12:38 AM
Is there any progress? Did anybody succeed with creating a working "ics-plus-aosp" branch manifest for ICS?

Thanks
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Martin Heller 7/20/12 5:55 AM
Hello,

do you have an idea when AOSP builds for PandaBoard will be fixed?
And will the master branch (i.e. 4.1) be fixed or a working tagged
release of 4.0 will be made?

Thanks

Martin
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/20/12 7:39 AM
We're currently stuck on the code review of a platform change to
disable VSync on hardware that doesn't support it. Until that change
gets approved by the maintainer of that code, we can't move forward.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Subbu 7/22/12 4:09 PM
Is there a previous tag/manifest that we could use?

BR
Subbu

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM,  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do you have an idea when AOSP builds for PandaBoard will be fixed?
> And will the master branch (i.e. 4.1) be fixed or a working tagged
> release of 4.0 will be made?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>
> On 07/13/2012 04:56 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>> We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
>> don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.
>>
>> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

On Friday, 20 July 2012 09:39:04 UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
We're currently stuck on the code review of a platform change to
disable VSync on hardware that doesn't support it. Until that change
gets approved by the maintainer of that code, we can't move forward.

JBQ

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM,  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do you have an idea when AOSP builds for PandaBoard will be fixed?
> And will the master branch (i.e. 4.1) be fixed or a working tagged
> release of 4.0 will be made?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>
> On 07/13/2012 04:56 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>> We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
>> don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.
>>
>> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

On Friday, 20 July 2012 09:39:04 UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
We're currently stuck on the code review of a platform change to
disable VSync on hardware that doesn't support it. Until that change
gets approved by the maintainer of that code, we can't move forward.

JBQ

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do you have an idea when AOSP builds for PandaBoard will be fixed?
> And will the master branch (i.e. 4.1) be fixed or a working tagged
> release of 4.0 will be made?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>
> On 07/13/2012 04:56 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>> We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
>> don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.
>>
>> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Amit Bhor 7/24/12 3:25 AM
Hi,

Looks like there are some changes to support VSYNC on HDMI over at omapzoom.org

--Amit
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Subbu 7/24/12 8:21 PM

On Tuesday, 24 July 2012 05:25:12 UTC-5, Amit Bhor wrote:
Hi,

Looks like there are some changes to support VSYNC on HDMI over at omapzoom.org

Interesting.... i tried the ics manifest for panda + the latest SGX binaries and I see   http://pastebin.com/Muu2FFjh and http://pastebin.com/8P1RYMjw
 Not able to figure out whats going wrong.... :(
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Ferruh Yiğit 7/30/12 5:20 AM
Hi,

Is there any update on issue? Any possible date for fix?
Or is there any alternative way to make pandaboard work with graphics using AOSP?

Thanks and Regards,
ferruh

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Martin Heller <helle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do you have an idea when AOSP builds for PandaBoard will be fixed?
> And will the master branch (i.e. 4.1) be fixed or a working tagged
> release of 4.0 will be made?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>
> On 07/13/2012 04:56 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>> We have changes in process that are expected to fix things. If those
>> don't work, we'll find a way to go back to the last-known-good state.
>>
>> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 7/31/12 12:37 AM
On Monday, 30 July 2012 14:20:37 UTC+2, Ferruh Yiğit wrote:
Is there any update on issue? Any possible date for fix?

From what I've learned over the last few weeks, "experimental support for PandaBoard" usually means "it won't work": there is no AOSP branch or tag where PandaBoard not only builds but also works as a platform. If you are lucky, you can get a fully working PandaBoard build from "master".

If you spot one of these rare beasties, please do a repo manifest snapshot and provide that manifest for download.

NB: Google are not paid for PandaBoard support, so it is amazing that building works as reliably as it does.

As far as I understand, another part of the problem is that the PandaBoard at its core has an OMAP4430, and the graphics library is not open-source. Luckily for us all Imagine Technologies provides precompiled shared objects, but these also need to be in sync with the open-source interface part used by the applications. Not easy!

Or is there any alternative way to make pandaboard work with graphics using AOSP?

If you have the knowledge, incentive, and time to actually debug the issues yourself, fix the issues, then submit the patches back to AOSP and (hopefully quickly) get some people to review and _tag_ them on the AOSP repo.

In short, "get involved and help".  :-)

For my purposes, I was lucky and found another post with a download link for a PandaBoard manifest that at least allowed me to run several Dalvik VMs and get a shell, and this was all I needed (at the time).

NB: The Google folks are doing some amazing work with AOSP, and without their openness we would have much less than we do - a thoroughly reliable build, continuous improvement, and a chance of getting a working platform.
With the complexity of embedded development you can't expect them to really care for a platform that is not in the focus of their own core interests. The workload is already too high, so if you want something, you have to help.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard sebbi 8/1/12 7:03 AM
I have a good checkout of the AOSP master before they merged it with JB.

What do I have to provide to help others? Really like that copy, runs almost perfect on my Pandaboard ES with Wifi+BT running pretty good.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Subbu 8/1/12 8:35 AM

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:37:07 AM UTC-5, hagenp wrote:
On Monday, 30 July 2012 14:20:37 UTC+2, Ferruh Yiğit wrote:
Is there any update on issue? Any possible date for fix?

From what I've learned over the last few weeks, "experimental support for PandaBoard" usually means "it won't work": there is no AOSP branch or tag where PandaBoard not only builds but also works as a platform. If you are lucky, you can get a fully working PandaBoard build from "master".

Agreed.
If you spot one of these rare beasties, please do a repo manifest snapshot and provide that manifest for download.

NB: Google are not paid for PandaBoard support, so it is amazing that building works as reliably as it does.

Of course .. no complaints there.
As far as I understand, another part of the problem is that the PandaBoard at its core has an OMAP4430, and the graphics library is not open-source. Luckily for us all Imagine Technologies provides precompiled shared objects, but these also need to be in sync with the open-source interface part used by the applications. Not easy!

This I was not aware! Thanks for the info. i will ask around more to find out if there is a easy way to fix this.

Or is there any alternative way to make pandaboard work with graphics using AOSP?

If you have the knowledge, incentive, and time to actually debug the issues yourself, fix the issues, then submit the patches back to AOSP and (hopefully quickly) get some people to review and _tag_ them on the AOSP repo.

In short, "get involved and help".  :-)

Sure! I hope to get the Linaro one built soon. Once I have that I will try AOSP master again.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Magnus Bäck 8/1/12 11:29 AM
On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 at 10:03 EDT,
     sebbi <sebi.s...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have a good checkout of the AOSP master before they merged it with JB.
>
> What do I have to provide to help others? Really like that copy, runs
> almost perfect on my Pandaboard ES with Wifi+BT running pretty good.

You can capture the state of your repository and produce a manifest file
with SHA-1s that others can sync against:

repo manifest -r -o my-working-source.xml

[...]

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Subbu 8/1/12 2:53 PM
Awesome!!!!!! Will try it out later today. Thank you for spending time on that!
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard sebbi 8/1/12 10:24 PM
Not sure how far away from the last state before the merge this manifest is, but it is working almost perfect for me.

This is also a backup from the backup for myself. ;-)
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Ferruh Yiğit 8/2/12 3:13 AM
Thank you for your effort, it is really appreciated. This worked fine for me...

Best Regards,
ferruh
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 8/3/12 2:00 AM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:36:47 PM UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
I've just added a branch ics-plus-aosp that matches the state of the
AOSP master before the Jelly Bean release. In quick testing, it seems
to work on PandaBoard.

Yay - first time I got video from an ICS build on PandaBoard!
Many thanks!!!

- - -

[Bonus advice for others trying to get PandaBoard/ICS up and running with the ics-plus-aosp branch.]

For PandaBoard, device/ti/panda/README is relevant, but there are a few stumbling blocks to avoid:
  1. When you download the "proprietary binaries",
    use "PandaBoard binaries for Android 4.0.4 (IMM76I to IMM76L)"
  2. In device/ti/panda/README, sections "Initial setup, part 1" and "Build and flash, part 1":
    use "lunch full_panda-userdebug" or "lunch full_panda-eng" (not two underscores)
  3. Post-boot setup: "adb shell date $(date +%s)" will set the date on PandaBoard in UTC.
    "adb shell date -s $(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M%S)" will set it to your local timezone.
    If you want to do the "date -s YYYYMMSS.hhmmss" manually (or with a terminal script) on a PandaBoard console terminal, don't forget to first obtain root rights with "su" - by default the console user is restricted.
  4. For me, after making an SD card with fastboot, ICS on PandaBoard reported
        EXT4-FS (mmcblk0p6): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem
    and later stops with an
        SysRq : Emergency Remount R/O
    This is an indication that "fastboot erase cache" did not create a valid ext4 file system.
    You can easily fix this by manually formatting the SD card 'cache' partition as ext4.
    On my Ubuntu 10.04LTS development box, an external SDHC reader works well together with the "Disk Utility" (palimpsest) from the "System" > "Administration" menu. This also displays the efi partition labels, which is handy to make sure you really ext4-format the correct partition.
  5. Enjoy! :-)
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Eric Pfaffhauser 8/7/12 9:22 AM
Branch ics-plus-aosp works great. Thanks JBQ!

But: where can I find the sources/repos/configs you've used to create bootloader.bin and x-loader.bin?

eRiC

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/7/12 9:24 AM
I believe that they're on git.omapzoom.org, but I'm not sure. I got
those binaries directly from TI.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Keith Deacon 8/7/12 12:27 PM
The binaries are build from the source on git.omapzoom.org.
uboot - http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=repo/u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap4_dev
xloader - http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=repo/x-loader.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap4_dev

...Kd
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 8/8/12 6:45 AM
On Tuesday, 7 August 2012 21:27:56 UTC+2, Keith Deacon wrote:
The binaries are build from the source on git.omapzoom.org.
uboot - http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=repo/u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap4_dev
xloader - http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=repo/x-loader.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap4_dev

bootloader.bin identifies itself as 'U-Boot 1.1.4-gedeced79 (Feb  6 2012 - 09:27:11)'.
Any pointer where to find this exact git revision (gedeced79)? Thanks! -Hagen
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/8/12 8:30 AM
If this is similar to the kernel markers, gedeced79 means "Git commit
edeced79", so you need to look for revision edeced79

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 8/8/12 12:15 PM
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru (JBQ) wrote:
> If this is similar to the kernel markers, gedeced79 means "Git commit
> edeced79", so you need to look for revision edeced79

Many thanks for pointing out the 'g' is not part of the revision!  ('g' is not even a hex digit... i did not spot the clue... argh!)

Hmm... still no luck. "git show edeced79' returned with an error message (ambiguous or not found).
Is there a special search incantation, or is this likely a "private commit"? [Or is it still in review? ;-)]

"u-boot commit edeced79 seen anywhere, dead or alive? Please report!"  :-)
Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 8/22/12 6:15 AM
Just for info: PandaBoard kernel does not come up with a current master build:
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.41 (Oct 21 2011 - 09:28:33)
Starting OS Bootloader from MMC/SD1 ...

U-Boot 1.1.4-gedeced79 (Feb  6 2012 - 09:27:11)

Load address: 0x80e80000
DRAM:  1024 MB
Flash:  0 kB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial

efi partition table:
     256     128K xloader
     512     256K bootloader
    2048       8M recovery
   18432       8M boot
   34816     512M system
 1083392     256M cache
 1607680    3044M userdata
Net:   KS8851SNL
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
kernel   @ 80008000 (3691560)
ramdisk  @ 81000000 (169139)
I2C read: I/O error

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

[no change for five minutes]

$ repo manifest -r -o current.xml
current.xml content pasted here (aosp-master-20120822GMT1312):
http://pastebin.com/wLpugAc1

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Chris Bainbridge 8/22/12 3:51 PM
I just did a Pandaboard build of master and it is booting ok.
Re: State of PandaBoard Adrien Grassein 9/27/12 11:20 PM
It's seems that the Pandaboard does not boot with the new kernel (commit  985648b1897e56fd62ba24e1e94c9fe0ef3d0bad in device/ti/panda) and updated graphics drivers (20120807).

The problem is that the kernel does not start :
See the boot trace of my pandaboard :

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.41 (Oct 21 2011 - 09:28:33)
OMAP4460: 1.2 GHz capable SOM
Starting OS Bootloader from MMC/SD1 ...

U-Boot 1.1.4-gedeced79 (Feb  6 2012 - 09:27:11)

Load address: 0x80e80000
DRAM:  1024 MB
Flash:  0 kB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial

efi partition table:
     256     128K xloader
     512     256K bootloader
    2048       8M recovery
   18432       8M boot
   34816     512M system
 1083392     256M cache
 1607680    6874M userdata
kernel   @ 80008000 (3867844)
ramdisk  @ 81000000 (171803)
I2C read: I/O error

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Someone else have the same problem?

Thanks

Adrien

Le mercredi 11 juillet 2012 03:18:58 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :
There's a known issue with graphics on PandaBoard, where the display
is entirely black.

I suspect that's related to the changes that were done in Jelly Bean
around triple buffering.

My understanding is that someone is already working on updating the
graphics libraries. In the meantime, PandaBoards won't display much
:-(

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 9/28/12 7:24 AM
On Friday, 28 September 2012 08:20:38 UTC+2, Adrien Grassein wrote:
Someone else have the same problem?

Yes. I just checked, and with a current "master" build for full_panda-eng the kernel hangs (ES2.1).

("repo manifest -r " also throws errors, so I can't even upload a snapshot manifest. Tsk.)
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 9/28/12 8:36 AM
For me (ES EB3), the kernel boots, but the graphics system fails to
initialize, in a way that looks like an incompatibility between
userland and the kernel.

I'm pretty sure that it was working when I prepared those files, but
that was weeks ago.

Do things still working when going back to the previous kernel and
graphics libraries?

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 9/28/12 8:47 AM
In bad news, it looks like the old kernel and graphics binaries also
fail (same errors). I'm guessing that something else changed since
early August.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Adrien Grassein 9/28/12 9:10 AM

Yes everithing is ok with previois kernel and drivers with android Master.

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Mikey Walzy 9/28/12 2:22 PM
Which previous kernel are you using?  We have built Android with prebuilt kernel, works fine, but now we use the kernel from the kernel build page and it doesn't work.  A linaro 2.6.35 will allow me to build but gets hung up after booting kernel. So does a 3.4. Please help.  We would like to build android with kernel source rather than prebuilt and get it running on pandaboard, so that we can include custom hardware/firmware files but we've had no luck finding a kernel compatible with android.  We are willing to revert to previous android build if necessary.
Thanks,
BT
Re: State of PandaBoard michael 9/29/12 12:16 AM
i encounter the same hang issue with the newest AOSP code  :(

In addition, here on my board, when the system is booting, i  press enter again and again, then i can boot up the android system,but always show the below error, no pic is shown on screen:
[ 5231.057098] PVR_K:(Error): BridgedDispatchKM: Driver initialisation not completed yet. [4807, drivers/gpu/pvr/bridged_pvr_bridge.c]

--
then i checked the kernel pvr information:
new_googlesource$
new_googlesource$ adb shell
shell@android:/ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.0.31-g4a094a5 (j...@jqueru.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 7 10:35:16 PDT 2012
shell@android:/ $
shell@android:/ $
shell@android:/ $ cat /proc/pvr/version
Version CustomerGoogle_Android_ogles1_ogles2_GPL sgxddk 18 1.8@905891 (release) omap4430_android
System Version String: None
shell@android:/ $
shell@android:/ $
shell@android:/ $ exit
new_googlesource$
new_googlesource$ strings vendor/imgtec/panda/proprietary/* | grep build
OpenGL ES 2.0 build 1.8@905891
OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00 build 1.8@905891
1.4 build 1.8@905891

i found that kernel's pvr version is same as library's, i really don't know why this hangs happen.

在 2012年9月28日星期五UTC+8下午2时20分38秒,Adrien Grassein写道:
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Adrien Grassein 9/30/12 11:16 PM
For me : kernel with commit 4a094a55476cad51c85928e7c5766d71944e87ea does not work and I5f4559d3997d7d57ca93317b41e2b06e512d46bc works.

Adrien
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Nater 10/2/12 11:09 AM
I can confirm that Change-Id: I5f4559d3997d7d57ca93317b41e2b06e512d46bc (commit 76605d821bcc0db9cd897d40fff45b5a7fce2c32) will work for device/ti/panda .
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 10/4/12 11:01 AM
I've tested locally with the previous kernel and the previous graphics
libraries, and things are working for me. At least we know that the
rest of the master branch is OK, so whatever issues we're having are
either the kernel, the graphics libraries, or both, or an
incompatibilty between those.

Now, surprisingly, I don't manage to get any logcat output at all from
the most recent kernel I submitted. That's definitely not expected,
and that would suggest that the kernel is bad. I'll try to regenerate
one from source. Has anyone rebuilt that same kernel from source and
gotten it to boot at all (regardless of graphics).

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Alex 10/4/12 11:35 AM
Am Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2012 20:01:56 UTC+2 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Queru:
I've tested locally with the previous kernel and the previous graphics
libraries, and things are working for me.
For me too.

At least we know that the
rest of the master branch is OK, so whatever issues we're having are
either the kernel, the graphics libraries, or both, or an
incompatibilty between those.
I think that's a kernel problem, graphics libraries are not accessed that early in the boot process. I would expect some more output on the serial console if only the graphics libraries are bad. I had this problem a while ago with a custom kernel built from source. Prebuilt kernel and imgtec-panda-imm76i-67545da7 worked, but building the kernel upon the prebuilt kernel source with same graphics libraries did not!
I can confirm that the previous kernel and graphics libraries work!

Now, surprisingly, I don't manage to get any logcat output at all from
the most recent kernel I submitted. That's definitely not expected,
and that would suggest that the kernel is bad. I'll try to regenerate
one from source. Has anyone rebuilt that same kernel from source and
gotten it to boot at all (regardless of graphics).
I'm building the kernel from source again, but the newer one. A first try ends up in "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

I own a Pandaboard Rev. A2
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Adrien Grassein 10/4/12 11:39 AM
Yes, I rebuilt the kernel from source from both commit (the previous commit, and the new one). As expected, the 'previous' works and the new one not.
Also, I try to merge ti-omap4 branch onto the ti-omap4-panda branch, and this not works too.

2012/10/4 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>

Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 10/4/12 12:47 PM
I think that the situation with not having logcat is a red herring.
I've also had logcat work fine with the latest kernel, and I've had it
fail with the previous one.

I'm digging deeper.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Alex 10/4/12 2:05 PM
I enabled 'kernel hacking - kernel low-level debugging functions + early printk' in kernel config mentioned on Common Problems Booting Linux. The output on serial link is attached.
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Jean-Baptiste Queru 10/4/12 2:40 PM
And now I can't get any build to give me any adb connection. I have no
idea what's going on :-(

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Alex 10/8/12 7:11 AM
According to my last post and screenlog, that may suppose some problems with I2C, I checked out the source of the last binary kernel. After revert a change come in with commit 6c8e76e158a9bc849ec946ab030595e06ad89210, the pandaboard was able to boot ... till the next kernel panic :). Now it seem to be a problem with SMP feature, especially about cpuidle.

I also checked the OMAP4430 reference manual by TI, that definitely states the SYSC register at offset 10! Maybe it depends on HW revision of the board or silicon revision of the OMAP platform?

Pandaboard A2
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard Adrien Grassein 10/11/12 1:24 AM
Seems to not work even if I upgrade to device/ti/panda and new init.

Also, I got a kernel panic with previous kernel and Android 4.1.2
Re: [android-building] Re: State of PandaBoard hagenp 10/25/12 4:18 AM
On Thursday, 4 October 2012 23:40:14 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
And now I can't get any build to give me any adb connection. I have no
idea what's going on :-(

When changing to a simplified partitioning scheme (less than 6 partitions), the ics-plus-aosp kernel 3.0.8+ reported lots of errors (some I2C) and an "ldisc timout", and did not bring up the GUI (PandaBoard ES2.1).
OMAP4430 is dual-core, so to me this feels like a race condition during some init in the 3.0.x kernel.

(In the end I had to use Linaro - with kernel 3.2.x - as a stable base for our demo.)

More topics »